Voting Round 2 - Yakusoku no Neverland vs. Vagabond | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 Yakusoku no Neverland vs. Vagabond

Who wins?

• Yakusoku no Neverland

• Vagabond

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MArGi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Yakusoku no Neverland
Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu

-

Vagabond
Takehiko Inoue

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Last edited:

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
No love for my Girl Gilda from you I see Erin :bnah

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I almost wanted to vote for Vagabond because too much Emma, but then I saw in the last image Isabella, Musica and Ray. That saved you from me for voting. You have my vote.
Thxs so much Magi-chaaan love you somuch ♥

here isabella for you^^

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Vici i have hard times finding some gilda art but :

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Erin, I thought YnN and HxH were your only priorities but you came in the NNT VS DGM thread and instavoted for my opponent. I will make you pay! :arro

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Rolling with Vagabond here. The series is just a massive boost for the manga medium simply put.

While Neverland is a breath of fresh air for the WSJ lineup, due to its non-reliance on fights and action, it still suffers from somethings I personally don't think are all that good. Namely, it's teasing of being dark, but not actually going all in with that concept in many areas. This is largely due to it not being able to with WSJ's restrictions, and many won't mind that, which is fine.

Vagabond, on the other hand, is just a work of art like few media I have seen. The art, very much like Berserk, can tell a story on its own with how expressive it is (something OPM cannot even do with its great art). Musashi and Kojiro are so highly nuanced that it feels next level how their characterization progresses. This is largely due to the style of series Vagabond is, but nonetheless very impressive. Combine it all together with a great supporting cast and Vagabond is a legend through and through.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Erin, I thought YnN and HxH were your only priorities but you came in the NNT VS DGM thread and instavoted for my opponent. I will make you pay! :arro
@Demonspeed buuuut didn't mean to.... :biblethumpdgm= Marian cross my apologies didn't even see which manga it was facing :pout.
But don't worry im sure nanatsu will win !

also those blue powers are toooooooo scary !!!!!! :notsure
Btw have you started reading TPN demon-kun ? :zomg

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Never watched Vagabond (And I should in the future), but I think Vagabond should´ve the upperhand here for what it brought to the medium as a whole as @Aizen said.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
but.... :pout

Why many people are assuming that a shonen is necessarly less good than a seinen. There s a ton of average if not bad seinen and great shonen, there's some shonen that are better than some seinen and consersely. Being darker doesn't mean being good, being gory doesnt mean being good, being not dark or not so dark doesnt mean being bad, those logics are so wrong,
i don't say Vagabond is bad i know it's a great manga even if i havent read it, but Neverland is a great manga so far too. Vagabond art is great yes sure but TPN art is amazing too, even if it's not done by some famoius veteran. Pliz dont be blinded by bias and manga clichés.

Please give Neverland a chance, also it's been 4 years vagabond is on hiatus so :derp

Some TPN madness :

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
but.... :pout

Why many people are assuming that a shonen is necessarly less good than a seinen. There s a ton of average if not bad seinen and great shonen, there's some shonen that are better than some seinen and consersely. Being darker doesn't mean being good, being gory doesnt mean being good, being not dark or not so dark doesnt mean being bad, those logics are so wrong,
i don't say Vagabond is bad i know it's a great manga even if i havent read it, but Neverland is a great manga so far too. Vagabond art is great yes sure but TPN art is amazing too, even if it's not done by some famoius veteran. Pliz dont be blinded by bias and manga clichés.

Please give Neverland a chance, also it's been 4 years vagabond is on hiatus so :derp

Some TPN madness :

I actually agree with this, but my point was that Neverland stays in the middle. I can understand why people like it for that, but I personally don't. If some of the kids actually died more regularly (like a certain someone should have considering the build-up imo) and there was more sense of danger due to that, I would put Neverland as one of the better manga I read currently as the plot is quite solid generally. Considering it does not do that, that was more my point. Preferenced based as usual though, so I get what you mean.

Seinen is not clearly > Shonen for many people, and that I respect. There are no absolutes with these sorts of things. Many Seinen are not written like the top dogs after all. However, it is not really a cliche to recognize the impact Vagabond has made on the manga industry. Neverland is quite new and is nowhere near that. That said, people should obviously vote for what gives them the most enjoyment since that is what media is all about.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
My vote goes to Neverland. Not for obvious reasons but because I can honestly say it's one of the best manga I've read in a while. The characters and the art are top tier. I can understand @Aizen when he says it teases at being dark but doesn't follow through. In some instances what you expect to happen doesn't happen and that can be a point of frustration, but in my opinion even though it doesn't always go the route we want it to the path it does take is easily as interesting. For example The situation with Ray. I can understand how it was a letdown for some but:
While having Ray die there would have been great for dramatic purposes, overall I feel it would have been empty. He felt guilty that he had to watch as his siblings were shipped off to become food for demons. So guilty that he didn't allow himself to get closer to them except Norman and Emma. Those were the only two he thought he legitimately had a chance to save so he put all his focus into saving them all the while planning to atone for his helplessness by not only killing himself but destroying as much of the system as he could. To have him die like that would have been sending the message that yes some of it was his fault when in reality what could a 6 year old child do when faced with demons? If we look at him now, in comparison to what he was like before, the character growth is amazing. He's no longer turning his back on his siblings. He's put himself in the role of protector, and sure the odds are still against them but he has something he didn't have before. He has hope. He wants to live now and it's actually a beautiful thing.
The journey they're on is still new. They're encountering different obstacles everyday. They haven't been out in the world since they were born, so although they have books to guide them they're still learning and adapting to a world that isn't even meant for them. All they have is each other.

At the end of every chapter you're disappointed because you want to know more. That's how much it is captures you. The Promised Neverland is an adventure and one I would highly recommend to everyone:blush

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Aizen I wasnt denying at all the impact of Vagabond, i was speaking of seinen generally speaking, theres currently a kind of trend that consist in incensing seinen and bashing shonen. im reading basically everywhere stuff like : "love it because its a seinen . "hate it because its shonen" "lame its a shonen. " "oh too great love its so so mature"

Vagabond is a manga Im definitely interested in also musashi is really hooooot ♥, in other circumstances ofc i would have supported it :zomg.

Just to illustrate what im trying to say, theres a monthly manga ("starving anonymous") that started basically at the same time than TPN, and that is about very similar topics, anthropophagy, humans being fattened to be eaten , its extremely gory I don't know about how good it is or not but this manga is a huge success in Japan so far (its not scanalated in English i think), and likely because of its graphic side. It's currently selling even more than TPN, I ve seen a couple of chapters of this and find it tbh, disgusting. Im not sure it's better than TPN in term of plot or storytelling or character writing (i m not saying its bad neither, actually i dont know), but I assume people mainly like it because they are eager of morbid & disturbing stuff.

even "monsters" "aliens " are similar

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Going with Neverland, it's easily my current favorite read, the fact that it's managed to maintain it's consistent quality despite running for more than a year already is definitely something I think is of note. Coupled by the fact that it doesn't rely on battles or anything of the sorts to remain consistently interesting, this is the first manga I've seen where loads of theories are crafted at the end of every chapter :XD It's THAT engaging.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
My vote goes to Neverland. Not for obvious reasons but because I can honestly say it's one of the best manga I've read in a while. The characters and the art are top tier. I can understand @Aizen when he says it teases at being dark but doesn't follow through. In some instances what you expect to happen doesn't happen and that can be a point of frustration, but in my opinion even though it doesn't always go the route we want it to the path it does take is easily as interesting. For example The situation with Ray. I can understand how it was a letdown for some but:
While having Ray die there would have been great for dramatic purposes, overall I feel it would have been empty. He felt guilty that he had to watch as his siblings were shipped off to become food for demons. So guilty that he didn't allow himself to get closer to them except Norman and Emma. Those were the only two he thought he legitimately had a chance to save so he put all his focus into saving them all the while planning to atone for his helplessness by not only killing himself but destroying as much of the system as he could. To have him die like that would have been sending the message that yes some of it was his fault when in reality what could a 6 year old child do when faced with demons? If we look at him now, in comparison to what he was like before, the character growth is amazing. He's no longer turning his back on his siblings. He's put himself in the role of protector, and sure the odds are still against them but he has something he didn't have before. He has hope. He wants to live now and it's actually a beautiful thing.
The journey they're on is still new. They're encountering different obstacles everyday. They haven't been out in the world since they were born, so although they have books to guide them they're still learning and adapting to a world that isn't even meant for them. All they have is each other.

At the end of every chapter you're disappointed because you want to know more. That's how much it is captures you. The Promised Neverland is an adventure and one I would highly recommend to everyone:blush
Much of that is preference based so I totally respect that. I guess why I say this for Neverland specifically is because it does actually go for being dark. The first chapters hit you pretty clearly with that vibe. Yet it continues to not be willing to go all that far in that direction before stopping. It wants to make you believe that an ideal that is childish and nonsense is actually valid, while also trying to give off some horror/dark vibes. I am not 100 percent caught up (like 5-6 chapters behind) but from what I have seen that is my impression.

As for the fate of a certain character, I won't deny that character has potential well beyond the fate I was talking about, but the author also does not have to induce fake drama by making his readers believe that the entire chapter. It is a pet peeve of mine so perhaps that is a factor here too.
@Aizen I wasnt denying at all the impact of Vagabond, i was speaking of seinen generally speaking, theres currently a kind of trend that consist in incensing seinen and bashing shonen. im reading basically everywhere stuff like : "love it because its a seinen . "hate it because its shonen" "lame its a shonen. " "oh too great love its so so mature"

Vagabond is a manga Im definitely interested in also musashi is really hooooot ♥, in other circumstances ofc i would have supported it :zomg.

Just to illustrate what im trying to say, theres a monthly manga ("starving anonymous") that started basically at the same time than TPN, and that is about very similar topics, anthropophagy, humans being fattened to be eaten , its extremely gory I don't know about how good it is or not but this manga is a huge success in Japan so far (its not scanalated in English i think), and likely because of its graphic side. It's currently selling even more than TPN, I ve seen a couple of chapters of this and find it tbh, disgusting. Im not sure it's better than TPN in term of plot or storytelling or character writing (i m not saying its bad neither, actually i dont know), but I assume people mainly like it because they are eager of morbid & disturbing stuff.

even "monsters" "aliens " are similar

And that's fine, I agree there is an elitism complex in almost everything you consume in media. Heck there would probably be some that would scoff at my love for Berserk and Vagabond for that matter as well. On the other hand Shonen dominates Seinen in sales, which clearly shows popularity wise, it's not even close, so it really is not a severe issue imo.

I also totally agree with you that manga looks WAY over the top and that probably is an issue with some Seinen, as they are quite literally free from many restrictions. I was just meaning as I pointed out above in my response to Belserion, that you hardly have to go that far to keep a sense of real danger for the protagonists. Many Shonen kill characters off to try to keep that tension high. Again I am not saying that you HAVE to kill characters to build tension, but if your manga starts out the way Neverland did, and tries to impress upon its readers the dire conditions the heroes are in, it certainly helps a lot. Perhaps Neverland will do this, but it has not done much of it yet, which is one of my main issues with it right now. Overall though, I don't wanna keep the discussion talking about Neverlands faults or lack thereof, it certainly has an appeal for many, and that is well earned in many respects.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Much of that is preference based so I totally respect that. I guess why I say this for Neverland specifically is because it does actually go for being dark. The first chapters hit you pretty clearly with that vibe. Yet it continues to not be willing to go all that far in that direction before stopping. It wants to make you believe that an ideal that is childish and nonsense is actually valid, while also trying to give off some horror/dark vibes. I am not 100 percent caught up (like 5-6 chapters behind) but from what I have seen that is my impression.
But that's not what it does. In fact many characters have mentioned how impossible what they want to achieve is. Those who they've met so far have told them the odds aren't in their favor at all. Those of us who read it regularly comment at how naive they're being. But the Manga's underlying theme is hope. So despite the readers having a somewhat jaded view of what they're trying to accomplish it doesn't stop us from wanting to see all they're success or failures.

The horror vibes were only really for the first few chapters when we were being introduced to the truth of their world. The demons have become somewhat of a staple, a background threat that's looming you could say. So while the situation is dark it's not at the level where you would expect jump scares every other chapter.
As for the fate of a certain character, I won't deny that character has potential well beyond the fate I was talking about, but the author also does not have to induce fake drama by making his readers believe that the entire chapter. It is a pet peeve of mine so perhaps that is a factor here too.
I understand what you mean. But have you considered it wasn't actually leading up to that specific outcome? It wasn't fake drama, the drama was definitely there, the character even went through with his objective, it just failed to produce the outcome most of us expected, even me. But I'm also fine with the way it turned out, even relieved actually lol. So in this aspect the author has managed to induce different reactions to the situation. Some annoyed, some relieved. And you have to admit the unpredictability is what makes it a bit fun as well:D

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
But that's not what it does. In fact many characters have mentioned how impossible what they want to achieve is. Those who they've met so far have told them the odds aren't in their favor at all. Those of us who read it regularly comment at how naive they're being. But the Manga's underlying theme is hope. So despite the readers having a somewhat jaded view of what they're trying to accomplish it doesn't stop us from wanting to see all they're success or failures.

The horror vibes were only really for the first few chapters when we were being introduced to the truth of their world. The demons have become somewhat of a staple, a background threat that's looming you could say. So while the situation is dark it's not at the level where you would expect jump scares every other chapter.

I understand what you mean. But have you considered it wasn't actually leading up to that specific outcome? It wasn't fake drama, the drama was definitely there, the character even went through with his objective, it just failed to produce the outcome most of us expected, even me. But I'm also fine with the way it turned out, even relieved actually lol. So in this aspect the author has managed to induce different reactions to the situation. Some annoyed, some relieved. And you have to admit the unpredictability is what makes it a bit fun as well:D
Alright, well this is my last word on this since I really don't intend to debate Neverland's plot points massively in-depth here :XD.

To your first point, I fully realize characters do in fact know some of this stuff is naive, but that still does not stop the series from allowing it to continue and not have hardly any consequences. You could say that the absence of one character is one, but I would not count that until proven otherwise. As for the rest, that's fine, clearly many people do in fact feel invested in this story, and I can see why, I just am not atm. That is mainly like I said due to the lack of stakes.

All the same, the first few chapters should lay out a good idea of what to expect in most cases, and the series does still have a dark aura to it. I mean how can it not when you have little kids struggling to survive against demons without any sort of combat to be seen. It does want you to believe they are on the edge of life and death here. So therefore, I do expect it to continue to keep that tension and remind the readers that there is that level of danger there. I don't think it does that all that well so far, considering Emma's ideal (the one that's several characters say is ridiculous) keeps coming to pass.

I would say that is exactly fake drama. You spend an entire chapter giving flashbacks and inferring the character's intentions, only to have the next chapter everything be undone by some plan. I don't really see how you can argue that it was not leading up to that, when the end result would have been exactly what I am suggesting had it not been for the author undoing it the next chapter. FT's constant fake outs did the same for its readers too, it is unexpected naturally when an author leads his audience to believe something and then it gets reversed. I just don't think that is good drama either. I don't think it was nearly as bad as FT's mind you, but I do think it could have been handled better.

Regardless, as I said, this is my last post on this subject at least, I wish good luck to Neverland and Vagabond in this round! :verily

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.