Discussion - Yamato Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Yamato Discussion Thread

Yamato for Nakama?

• Yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A thread focusing on Yamato, and how the focus on the character has increased over time after being introduced, as well as how relevant the character could end up being to Luffy' story and the like.

PeanutButterJelly

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
New nakama.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
New nakama.
Yeah, she hasn't really interacted with any of the Straw Hats besides Luffy and doesn't quite have a clear post-Wano goal, but I'm sure it will be figured out once she sails the seas with him.

Mopopolis

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She will get Vivi'd, she will remain in Wano to protect Odens legacy and Momonosuke when he becomes shogun and rebuilds the country.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
She will get Vivi'd, she will remain in Wano to protect Odens legacy and Momonosuke when he becomes shogun and rebuilds the country.
Well, Vivi consistently expressed interest in her country being helped out. Yamato doesn't seem worried about Wano enough to want to stay and reject going to sea with Luffy though, even though she's also wanting to defeat Kaidou in order to save it.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope Yamato goes out to sea and go on adventures as a Strawhat and keep her own diary as Oden did. I forget if Yamato have any dreams but she does seem to want to be Oden and as such she, too, will be amazed like Oden was to see the world. She do not need to get vivi'd. The remaining 7 scabbards can stay and protect Momo around the clock. Not to mention all the Samurais.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope Yamato goes out to sea and go on adventures as a Strawhat and keep her own diary as Oden did. I forget if Yamato have any dreams but she does seem to want to be Oden and as such she, too, will be amazed like Oden was to see the world. She do not need to get vivi'd. The remaining 7 scabbards can stay and protect Momo around the clock. Not to mention all the Samurais.
I imagine she’d want to accomplish what Oden had intended but failed to do, such as having the whole world welcome that certain figure, who’s probably Joy Boy, as well as bringing the Dawn to the rest of the world.

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
60% chance she joins the strawhats. But what would be her role? Historian?? Meh, not like every character needs some role anyway.

40% chance she stays back in Wano to help rebuild. Because that's what Oden would do or something. Plus her DF is the "guardian spirit" of Wano? Kinda alludes to her staying back

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
60% chance she joins the strawhats. But what would be her role? Historian?? Meh, not like every character needs some role anyway.

40% chance she stays back in Wano to help rebuild. Because that's what Oden would do or something. Plus her DF is the "guardian spirit" of Wano? Kinda alludes to her staying back
We already have a Historian/Archeologist called Nico Robin. I was thinking Yamato can be a sentry but Nico Robin and Brook seem to already be doing that in spectacular ways with their df powers. Damn Idk what her role can be and if there isn't one then she shouldn't join the Strawhats because everyone has a role as well as a dream.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was written in Kaidou mentioning that Guardian Spirit idea to keep people guessing if she’ll join right after she said she’d sail the seas with Luffy. In speaking of that, instead of becoming Wano’s guard, she could become a guard for the Straw Hats after doing things like protecting Momo and Shinobu for Luffy and backing him up by holding Kaidou off.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Apologies to the OG thread maker. I accidentally merged their thread into the predictions/theories thread.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

I actually think Oden would set sail with Luffy, actually, and trust Momo / the new Shogun and the 9RS to rebuild Wano. Oden / Roger lamented not being able to meet Joyboy and change the world. Also, Yamato seems privy to some things that probably only ex-Roger pirates are. He all but demanded to set sail with Luffy in his intro. Not to mention Luffy freed him from the bondage Kaido had him in. I think there's a duality in him and Momo. Momo is likely Uranus (ability to command ancient animals), and will "build up Wano", whereas Yamato is the Oden-like counterpart who desires adventure above all. Momo has already had adventures - being trapped in Punk Hazard, being on Dressrosa, Zou, Wano, nearly executed, etc.

I don't think roles matter too much at this point. Jinbei is a helmsman but that didn't become necessary until it was necessary (surfin' the Big Mom candy tsunami). They would find something for Yamato. In general having a pretty strong female fighter is a breath of fresh air.

I think in a nutshell Yamato's desire to be present when Joyboy changes the world and ushers in some new era will overtake any desire to stay on Wano.

So my vote: New Nakama. Too many emotional moments not to be. Yamato was practically researching and waiting on Luffy to make his way to Wano.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apologies to the OG thread maker. I accidentally merged their thread into the predictions/theories thread.
Thanks, was confused for a moment when the thread disappeared and thinking I had created it wrong. Haha.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I actually think Oden would set sail with Luffy, actually, and trust Momo / the new Shogun and the 9RS to rebuild Wano. Oden / Roger lamented not being able to meet Joyboy and change the world. Also, Yamato seems privy to some things that probably only ex-Roger pirates are. He all but demanded to set sail with Luffy in his intro. Not to mention Luffy freed him from the bondage Kaido had him in. I think there's a duality in him and Momo. Momo is likely Uranus (ability to command ancient animals), and will "build up Wano", whereas Yamato is the Oden-like counterpart who desires adventure above all. Momo has already had adventures - being trapped in Punk Hazard, being on Dressrosa, Zou, Wano, nearly executed, etc.

I don't think roles matter too much at this point. Jinbei is a helmsman but that didn't become necessary until it was necessary (surfin' the Big Mom candy tsunami). They would find something for Yamato. In general having a pretty strong female fighter is a breath of fresh air.

I think in a nutshell Yamato's desire to be present when Joyboy changes the world and ushers in some new era will overtake any desire to stay on Wano.

So my vote: New Nakama. Too many emotional moments not to be. Yamato was practically researching and waiting on Luffy to make his way to Wano.
Yeah, Luffy freeing her from her cuffs could throw back to giving previous crew mates freedom like untying Zoro and freeing Brook from the darkness by giving his shadow back. It is refreshing to see a close-quarters female fighter too since Nami and Robin aren’t really like that, giving more distinction. It’s also weird to think that Yamato has known about Luffy longer than Zoro has since Ace told her about him those four years ago.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vote #4 for me. A resounding Yes for now.

Roles still matter, they are just not as spotlighted. They've always needed a helmsman. They were just lucky and fortunate enough to get out of certain predicaments. Such as the time when their old ship sailed itself away from Enies Lobby for one last voyage. If Jinbe was there that spirit would have been moot.

It is just that they do not spotlight their roles anymore. When Nami predicts the weather now we don't care because it is what she does and it is not life or death. But it is because she is so good at it that makes it seem insignificant. Robin still wanna decipher ponyglyphs but she doesn't talk about it much so it isn't jn the foreground. Sanji is still needed as a cook but people shat on his cake. The strawhats all have an individual role. If Yamato's role is a defender as someone mentioned above, then so be it. The point is she has a role. At the moment my 4th vote is a yes but if she ends up havjng no real dream or role my vote will be a No. Currently I believe that Oda just haven't showed us what that role is or what her dream is. I can definitely see her dream to be "Realizing what Oden wanted to achieve" which seem to be go on adventures and then help JoyBoy change the world somehow. If she is Oden then she will inherit his will so to speak.

Last edited:

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vote #4 for me. A resounding Yes for now.

Roles still matter just not as spotlighted. They've always needed a helmsman. They were just lucky and fortunate enough to get out of certain predicaments. Such as the time when their old ship sailed itself away from Impel Down for one last time. If Jinbe was there that spirit would have been moot.

It is just that they do not spotlight their roles anymore. When Nami predicts the weather now we don't care because it is what she does and it is not life or death. But it is because she is so good at it that makes it seem insignificant. Robin still wanna decipher ponyglyphs but she doesn't talk about it much so it isn't jn the foreground. Sanji is still needed as a cook but people shat on his cake. The strawhats all have an individual role. If Yamato's role is a defender as someone mentioned above, then so be it. The point is she has a role. At the moment my 4th vote is a yes but if she ends up havjng no real dream or role my vote will be a No. Currently I believe that Oda just haven't showed us what that role is or what her dream is. I can definitely see her dream to be "Realizing what Oden wanted to achieve" which seem to be go on adventures and then help JoyBoy change the world somehow. If she is Oden then she will inherit his will so to speak.
I can see more basis in a back-up/guard/protector sort of role after things like Sanji mentioning that Luffy needed to conserve his energy and the possibility that Kaidou would have hurt more of Luffy’s friends if Yamato hadn’t of held him off while Luffy was knocked out. I’m sure she could have helped out Nami and Usopp quite a bit after their asses were getting kicked by Ulti too.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind Yamato being a defender... it just kind of sucks that defender kind of just sound like "support". The issue is that they are all protectors/defenders already. Idk if that is a viable role. But I want Yamato in the crew so I can overlook such a role if that is what she chooses.

Maybe a better role would be a scribe. I don't think that overlaps with Nico Robin because she does research and is only looking for the true history. A scribe would record everything such as Oden did but not necesarrily research. Well everything important to that specific person anyways and I cannot see Yamato's adventure with the crew being unimportant in any way to her if she does join. She hasn't done anything scribey yet but she did get Oden's logbook which extremely influenced her so who is to say she isn't inspired to make her own jounals and logs when she does set out?

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind Yamato being a defender... it just kind of sucks that defender kind of just sound like "support". The issue is that they are all protectors/defenders already. Idk if that is a viable role. But I want Yamato in the crew so I can overlook such a role if that is what she chooses.

Maybe a better role would be a scribe. I don't think that overlaps with Nico Robin because she does research and is only looking for the true history. A scribe would record everything such as Oden did but not necesarrily research. Well everything important to that specific person anyways and I cannot see Yamato's adventure with the crew being unimportant in any way to her if she does join. She hasn't done anything scribey yet but she did get Oden's logbook which extremely influenced her so who is to say she isn't inspired to make her own jounals and logs when she does set out?
I mean, cooks, archeologists, and shipwrights don’t fight in the first place either, yet things seemed to turn out well for them. If it worked out for them, then I’m sure things could also work out for Yamato in such a way that she only stays as support, in whatever role she gets.

As for the scribe idea though, I’m not as inclined to think that that’s what she’ll end up doing. Even her interest in logbooks only seemed to extend to Oden’s logbook, and didn’t really seem to delve into the interest more like writing down her own logs and keep shelves of them or anything like that. Usually a would-cremate displays an active interest and/or competence relevant to a role, and scribe just doesn’t line-up for Yamato if you ask me.

Last edited:

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
Wouldn’t be surprised if it was written in Kaidou mentioning that Guardian Spirit idea to keep people guessing if she’ll join right after she said she’d sail the seas with Luffy. In speaking of that, instead of becoming Wano’s guard, she could become a guard for the Straw Hats after doing things like protecting Momo and Shinobu for Luffy and backing him up by holding Kaidou off.

Could be. But I doubt it's something like that, should have some actual relevancy considering Oda is writing.

But yeah, take away that and I would say Yamato joins 90%

Yeah, I don't think "role" is that important either. It isn't like any other pirate crew is taking in crew members based on role (at least as far as I know).
But to Oda it seems to be important, it's something she emphasize on. So, what could it be? What all roles are left in a ship in the middle ages?

I hope she joins as well, she's interesting enough.
If not, she's 100% an ally who would show up at the endgame.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could be. But I doubt it's something like that, should have some actual relevancy considering Oda is writing.

But yeah, take away that and I would say Yamato joins 90%
Dunno, Yamato helping out Luffy the way she did seemed relevant to me.