Discussion - Yamato Discussion Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Yamato Discussion Thread

Yamato for Nakama?

• Yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
My money has always been on Yamato putting off his desire to go to sea until Wano is rebuilt, joining the Sunny for the Final Voyage where presumably he'll be desperately needed for the final conflict. By then he'll have had plenty of time to help Momo level up, and both of them will be there for Laugh Tale.

Alternatively, Yamato joins them for Elbaf or whatever is coming up next, but swaps out with Momo for the Final Voyage so he can be Wano's protector in Momo's stead. I think this one is a bit more likely, given the fact Yamato's DF is specifically said to be a protector deity of Wano.

Either way, one or both of them need to be present for Laugh Tale and the secret history and Throne War and all that jazz.

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My money has always been on Yamato putting off his desire to go to sea until Wano is rebuilt, joining the Sunny for the Final Voyage where presumably he'll be desperately needed for the final conflict. By then he'll have had plenty of time to help Momo level up, and both of them will be there for Laugh Tale.

Alternatively, Yamato joins them for Elbaf or whatever is coming up next, but swaps out with Momo for the Final Voyage so he can be Wano's protector in Momo's stead. I think this one is a bit more likely, given the fact Yamato's DF is specifically said to be a protector deity of Wano.

Either way, one or both of them need to be present for Laugh Tale and the secret history and Throne War and all that jazz.
I'm not sure how seriously Kaidou's claim about that should be taken given how Yamato has repeatedly rejected his claims. It could just amount to symbolism that doesn't corner her into Wano like some force field.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure how seriously Kaidou's claim about that should be taken given how Yamato has repeatedly rejected his claims. It could just amount to symbolism that doesn't corner her into Wano like some force field.
Idk, Yamato's dichotomy kinda reminds me of Sanji and his family. Yamato doesn't want to rule as shogun for Kaidou of course, but protecting Wano in Momo's stead as he does his duty to learn the true history/participate in the Throne War with Zunesha/etc.? I'm pretty sure Yamato would be down for that, especially if he already goes out to sea with Luffy beforehand between Wano and whatever happens before the Throne War (Yamato at Elbaf would be fun). Two narrative birds with one stone.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Idk, Yamato's dichotomy kinda reminds me of Sanji and his family. Yamato doesn't want to rule as shogun for Kaidou of course, but protecting Wano in Momo's stead as he does his duty to learn the true history/participate in the Throne War with Zunesha/etc.? I'm pretty sure Yamato would be down for that, especially if he already goes out to sea with Luffy beforehand between Wano and whatever happens before the Throne War (Yamato at Elbaf would be fun). Two narrative birds with one stone.
Well Sanji didn't want to have anything to do with what Judge was trying to impose on him as a soldier, science guinea pig, etc. If Momo needs that much protection, then couldn't the minks, scabbards, or other people stay behind to protect him?

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I feel like Yamato will stay on Wano just because of Momonosuke, if he chooses to stay as well. Provide that strength as well as knowledge.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like Yamato will stay on Wano just because of Momonosuke, if he chooses to stay as well. Provide that strength as well as knowledge.
Momo doesn’t seem like he’ll turn his back on being shogun like he said he would, though Raizo seemed to reassure that he and the many other Wano inhabitants would help bring him up as such and not necessarily Yamato.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I still feel like Yamato will stay, especially if they still think of themselves as Oden.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I still feel like Yamato will stay, especially if they still think of themselves as Oden.
Well again, that's the thing, because Oden got to leave with Whitebeard and join up with Roger. Oden wasn't denied his wish, so I'm not sure why'd Yamato would get denied hers when going by the Oden comparison.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
What reason did Oden have for staying on Wano though, at the time? His dad was in charge and handling things, and the leader/s knew how to lead, and they had strong samurai defending them if need be. Momonosuke's gonna need help, and Wano will likely have more enemies to deal with, given that the Marines seem to finally be making moves against it?

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
What reason did Oden have for staying on Wano though, at the time? His dad was in charge and handling things, and the leader/s knew how to lead, and they had strong samurai defending them if need be. Momonosuke's gonna need help, and Wano will likely have more enemies to deal with, given that the Marines seem to finally be making moves against it?
Earlier on it was due to him having not taken for sailing and later it was because he wanted to open Wano's borders and prepare for the return of a certain figure.

Anyway, I think I'm realizing why some are having a hard time feeling emotionally invested in Yamato. It's probably mainly due to how the emotions/moments she has had haven't really been used to connect to Luffy and the others. Like with this moment where she's hurt and doubting her abilities, instead of having Luffy look directly at her and reassure her that everything will turn out fine in defeating her warmongering dad, he instead looks away and simply tells her to help out Momo. It's definitely not like with Arlong Park where Luffy looks directly at Nami in her pleas for help. So yeah, more than just having characters experience emotion, it should also be about how that emotion is used to connect characters together, which may be yet to be seen in Yamato's case.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems like we'll get closure on the Yamato leaving Wano plotline by next chapter.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty sure that Yamato will leave Wano (like 99% sure). At this point there is no reason to stay since Wano is free and they already have strong enough fighters to defend themselves from anyone that is not Yonko/Admiral (Momo honestly can get that strong in short period too if Oda wants), which is far better than any country we've seen in OP. We have never used this argument to say why a person can't leave an island. Should Nami have stayed to protect her village from future east blue pirates? Should Usopp have stayed? Should Sanji have stayed?

Yamato wants adventure. Yamato wants to be like Oden, who wanted adventure above all. Yamato has been a prisoner his whole life. Would be very weird for him to stay and give up his dreams.

As for his role on Luffy's ship, answer doesn't matter. A role can be made up. Heck can be as simple as Yamato is a soldier/fighter and that's it. Could also be something like Yamato is the scout. Heck you can even give an existing role to Yamato like second helmsman etc (not like Jinbei doesn't sleep). So I think it's moot to argue for or against Yamato based on a role.

I don't remember people arguing so hard why a character shouldn't join the SHs until Yamato, despite Yamato having more going for him as a potential crew mate than most of the current SHs themselves.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty sure that Yamato will leave Wano (like 99% sure). At this point there is no reason to stay since Wano is free and they already have strong enough fighters to defend themselves from anyone that is not Yonko/Admiral (Momo honestly can get that strong in short period too if Oda wants), which is far better than any country we've seen in OP. We have never used this argument to say why a person can't leave an island. Should Nami have stayed to protect her village from future east blue pirates? Should Usopp have stayed? Should Sanji have stayed?

Yamato wants adventure. Yamato wants to be like Oden, who wanted adventure above all. Yamato has been a prisoner his whole life. Would be very weird for him to stay and give up his dreams.

As for his role on Luffy's ship, answer doesn't matter. A role can be made up. Heck can be as simple as Yamato is a soldier/fighter and that's it. Could also be something like Yamato is the scout. Heck you can even give an existing role to Yamato like second helmsman etc (not like Jinbei doesn't sleep). So I think it's moot to argue for or against Yamato based on a role.

I don't remember people arguing so hard why a character shouldn't join the SHs until Yamato, despite Yamato having more going for him as a potential crew mate than most of the current SHs themselves.
Yeah, even Momo also reinforced his desire to become a stronger shogun and encouraged Yamato to leave. If it was really a problem, I think it would have been known by now. At this point, I think it would take a "Fight Together-worthy" moment between Luffy and Yamato to really sell the idea of getting people to further believe Yamato belongs in the crew.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think people in general hate Wano, and associate Yamato with Wano and the feelings get cross-wired.

Jinbei was introduced in Marineford / Impel Down.
Brook on Thriller Bark.
Franky's debut on W7 / Enies Lobby.

The most recent SHP were all introduced in pretty amazing arcs so there's probably good feels attached to it. The excuses people have for not wanting Yamato to join are just garbage, though. I get it. You don't like Yamato, but telling me that Yamato isn't as developed as any other character who joined is just absolutely wrong. Brook got asked to join around the time he was asked if he poops. People gonna argue that Usopp / Syrup Village provided Usopp with more development than 50+ chapters of Yamato? Or that Zoro joining in a single chapter because he agreed to a stupid game with Helmeppo provided more depth than seeing Yamato's flash backs with Ace and the Samurai? It's just garbage takes. If you don't like Yamato, great. I don't really like Chopper. I'm luke-warm on Nami. I don't go around shitting across the forum that they should of never joined based on those opinions.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think people in general hate Wano, and associate Yamato with Wano and the feelings get cross-wired.

Jinbei was introduced in Marineford / Impel Down.
Brook on Thriller Bark.
Franky's debut on W7 / Enies Lobby.

The most recent SHP were all introduced in pretty amazing arcs so there's probably good feels attached to it. The excuses people have for not wanting Yamato to join are just garbage, though. I get it. You don't like Yamato, but telling me that Yamato isn't as developed as any other character who joined is just absolutely wrong. Brook got asked to join around the time he was asked if he poops. People gonna argue that Usopp / Syrup Village provided Usopp with more development than 50+ chapters of Yamato? Or that Zoro joining in a single chapter because he agreed to a stupid game with Helmeppo provided more depth than seeing Yamato's flash backs with Ace and the Samurai? It's just garbage takes. If you don't like Yamato, great. I don't really like Chopper. I'm luke-warm on Nami. I don't go around shitting across the forum that they should of never joined based on those opinions.
I admit to how it would have helped if Yamato had interacted with all of them earlier, instead of pretty much delaying the interactions until Chapter 1051. Yamato doesn't seem to have many moments either which would fit in the opening "Fight Together," so we'll just have to see how her interactions with the Straw Hats fare going forward, now that the Momo stuff has pretty much been taken care of.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I admit to how it would have helped if Yamato had interacted with all of them earlier, instead of pretty much delaying the interactions until Chapter 1051. Yamato doesn't seem to have many moments either which would fit in the opening "Fight Together," so we'll just have to see how her interactions with the Straw Hats fare going forward, now that the Momo stuff has pretty much been taken care of.
Yeah, but there's a very good reason Yamato has no interactions.

Zoro = on the rooftop, and outside fighting King / being unconscious.
Usopp = running around with Nami and Tama converting SMILE users
Sanji = messing around with Queen and Black Maria
Franky = fighting Sasaki (he did have an interaction with Yamato and took over the fight with Sasaki from Yamato)
Chopper = busy curing virus inflicted Samurai (and beast pirates)
Namie = with Usopp
Robin = with Brook, fighting Black Maria and running from CP0
Jinbei was holding off Who's Who, then working with Raizo to put out the flames.
Brook = with Robin. Running from CP0 / dealing with Black Maria

OTOH Yamato was busy too. He went from meeting Luffy, to protecting Momo, to holding off Kaido, to coaching Momo on how to "pilot" Onigashima and destroying the bombs / freezing them.

Similar to Robin, who briefly met the team after "blowing up" that Arabasta dude, but she didn't interact with them much on Arabasta outside of Luffy. They were more amicable to Mr. 2 at the point Robin joined.

To be fair though.. Mr. 2 is the best Nakama that never happened. He was so damned amazing in ID.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, Yamato is one of the few things that's animated better on Wano, and not everyone watches the anime. Most just go back to rewatch how fights are animated.

I'm convinced anyone who's seen this and hates Yamato is just trying to be edgy.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States

Franky = fighting Sasaki (he did have an interaction with Yamato and took over the fight with Sasaki from Yamato)
Namie = with Usopp
Jinbei was holding off Who's Who, then working with Raizo to put out the flames.

OTOH Yamato was busy too. He went from meeting Luffy, to protecting Momo, to holding off Kaido, to coaching Momo on how to "pilot" Onigashima and destroying the bombs / freezing them.

Similar to Robin, who briefly met the team after "blowing up" that Arabasta dude, but she didn't interact with them much on Arabasta outside of Luffy. They were more amicable to Mr. 2 at the point Robin joined.

To be fair though.. Mr. 2 is the best Nakama that never happened. He was so damned amazing in ID.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, Yamato is one of the few things that's animated better on Wano, and not everyone watches the anime. Most just go back to rewatch how fights are animated.

I'm convinced anyone who's seen this and hates Yamato is just trying to be edgy.
I am one of those who do not watch the anime (or any anime at that) but that was a great scene. Makes me want to watch it, it truly does put certain things into perspective that a 2D manga cannot no matter how well drawn.

Yamato is a damn good character. Like Shrek, Yamato got layers. Such a simple person yet so complex. Her dynamics are just different than everyone else in the SHP...another reason why she belongs. The truth is who cares if she met anyone else in the crew? Isn't that supposed to be the case? We cannot expect every person who join any crew to be aquainted with everyone, it just isn't possible. Not even if the crew has less than 10 people. That said, Yamato do need permission from the person or people who can allow such a permission...and that would be Luffy.

To be honest, I think what I really want is to see Yamato join because I want to see scenes of her and Zoro sparring. A bunch of them are brawlers but no one seems to spar besides Sanji and Zoro sometimes. I want to see if Yamato can damage Shogun Franky.

Last edited:

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States

Namie = with Usopp
True, even if the Kazenbo and Momo plots were taken out, you'd have situations like Yamato meeting with Zoro while fighting King and then Yamato perhaps inevitably also trying to fight King off either to help Zoro or King also seeing her as an enemy.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I mean, some of the Straw Hats didn't have interactions with the crew right off the bat. Franky didn't interact with anyone out of Luffy and Usopp for a while while Jinbei didn't meet the others for about two years. I don't think that matters as much as the value they add to the crew/Luffy's goal of the arc, like Franky and Jinbei helping Luffy achieve what he wanted (getting Robin back, freeing Ace). And so far, we've seen the new members fit in well with the crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if this resistance to Yamato is for other reasons.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, some of the Straw Hats didn't have interactions with the crew right off the bat. Franky didn't interact with anyone out of Luffy and Usopp for a while while Jinbei didn't meet the others for about two years. I don't think that matters as much as the value they add to the crew/Luffy's goal of the arc, like Franky and Jinbei helping Luffy achieve what he wanted (getting Robin back, freeing Ace). And so far, we've seen the new members fit in well with the crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if this resistance to Yamato is for other reasons.
Yeah, there was even a post on Fanverse from some time before Brook joined, which honestly reminded me of Yamato's case right now.