Discussion - Zoro Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Zoro Discussion Thread

Is It a Requirement for Zoro to have Conqueror's Haki?

• Total voters

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
When a cook, who wasnt worthy enough to be considered even a Supernova, can have a discussion thread then the Great Master Swordsman whose name will be known even in Heaven deserves at least two discussion threads.

Thread with the purpose of hyping up our majestic Zoro-senpai.
We can hype Zoro up here in this thread since its all about Zoro hype and it should be on topic.
@King Moe

No Power Level Discussions/Comparisons here, thank you 💋

Last edited by a moderator:

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
When a cook, who wasnt worthy enough to be considered even a Supernova, can have a discussion thread then the Great Master Swordsman whose name will be known even in Heaven deserves at least two discussion threads.

We can hype Zoro up here in this thread since its all about Zoro hype and it should be on topic.
@King Moe
Zoro is definitely strong, but I don't think he's fought opponents even remotely close to as strong as ones Luffy has fought post-timeskip, so it's really hard to evaluate him. He beat the squid guy under Hordy Jones effortlessly, but the only reason Luffy ever had trouble with Hordy Jones was because he was fighting that fucker as a fruit user underwater. Oh, and Luffy still won that.
Zoro did beat a Hordy while underwater. Hordy only recovered due to energy steroids.
He beat Monet pretty easily, but that was to be expected.
Pica was mostly child's play for Zoro.
I think part of the reason for all the hype is the gap between Zoro and his opponents is always too large. Plus, swordsman battles are suppose to be quick. So these battles often seem way more one sided than they are. I don't think anyone here would argue that Pica was anywhere close to Doffy or Katakuri in strength.
I don't think Zoro is stronger than Luffy right now. I also don't think he would have been able to beat Katakuri.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Zoro is definitely strong, but I don't think he's fought opponents even remotely close to as strong as ones Luffy has fought post-timeskip, so it's really hard to evaluate him. He beat the squid guy under Hordy Jones effortlessly, but the only reason Luffy ever had trouble with Hordy Jones was because he was fighting that fucker as a fruit user underwater. Oh, and Luffy still won that.
Zoro did beat a Hordy while underwater. Hordy only recovered due to energy steroids.
He beat Monet pretty easily, but that was to be expected.
Pica was mostly child's play for Zoro.
I think part of the reason for all the hype is the gap between Zoro and his opponents is always too large. Plus, swordsman battles are suppose to be quick. So these battles often seem way more one sided than they are. I don't think anyone here would argue that Pica was anywhere close to Doffy or Katakuri in strength.
I totally agree. Zoro has lacked a proper opponent ever since they got back together and went into the New World.
Like you said, his opponents were mainly child's play so far. However, in Dressrosa he sent a flying slash at Fujitora while being crushed by his gravity ability. When an admiral who is considered a monster himself compliments his attack and calls it brutal it means something.

I don't think Zoro is stronger than Luffy right now. I also don't think he would have been able to beat Katakuri.
I think that only way of beating Katakuri is if the opponent masters future sight as well, otherwise Katakuri is unbeatable, except from Yonko tier who cannot be scratched easily and where his future sight is only good as defensive.
So, since Luffy has been given future sight its fair if we apply the same to Zoro if we put him up against Katakuri. Honestly, i think he would do better than Luffy did.

Another thing, if we take a look at their teachers during the timeskip and what they have been taught we could argue that Zoro may have become a more dangerous beast. While Luffy learned the basics of all types of Haki, Rayleigh is not an expert for Luffy's fighting style. On the other side, Zoro's trainer is the best in the world at what he does and focused Zoro's training on what he is good at, not a general type of training like Luffy had.
Zoro polished the skills he is already good at and was taught by the man who is best at it. Rayleigh couldnt teach Luffy how to be better at being rubber-man.

Zoro-senpai for PK and WSS. :hip

TitaniumOxide

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Zoro haven't really worn his black bandana much post time skip. Did he wear it vs Pica? If not then we know he was not pushed near the edge of his limit like when he fought daz bones in Alabasta. That is his signature forshadow of a great Zoro fight. What I want to see is him really showing us that bandana again and make the marimo disappear. Zoro is arguably a demon in more than one way once his Marimo hair disappears and the bandana replaces it. But what I really really want is for him to wear that bandana to show the audience he is in a serious fight but also open his other eye. Yeah there is a scar there but it does not mean his eye is gone. I have no qualms about it being gone but it would be much more amazing of a development for him if he is handicapping himself on purpose, making himself stronger for those future life or death fights when he will open both eyes. It's an old theory but I hope it comes true. Although if his eye turns out to be some kind of asspull with narutolike eye powers then I will be pissed af. Just a regular, normal eye please, Oda.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Zoro haven't really worn his black bandana much post time skip. Did he wear it vs Pica? If not then we know he was not pushed near the edge of his limit like when he fought daz bones in Alabasta. That is his signature forshadow of a great Zoro fight. What I want to see is him really showing us that bandana again and make the marimo disappear. Zoro is arguably a demon in more than one way once his Marimo hair disappears and the bandana replaces it. But what I really really want is for him to wear that bandana to show the audience he is in a serious fight but also open his other eye. Yeah there is a scar there but it does not mean his eye is gone. I have no qualms about it being gone but it would be much more amazing of a development for him if he is handicapping himself on purpose, making himself stronger for those future life or death fights when he will open both eyes. It's an old theory but I hope it comes true. Although if his eye turns out to be some kind of asspull with narutolike eye powers then I will be pissed af. Just a regular, normal eye please, Oda.
He did wear his bandana against Pica but that wasn't much of danger to him personally, more of a challenge in being able to get to Pica's real body and cut him down.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahh feck he did wear it vs Pica but that was cuz out of frustration. That doesn't rly count lol. I can only imagine how fucking frustrated Zoro was fightinf Pica. Like what a joke. Pica is a joke through and through. He better not be King's ugly cousin or related to King in any way because King is hyped to be too much of a badass to be related to Pica.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is not a fact because it hasn't happened yet. Right now Zoro's opponents are just too far below him. I think Oda might be doing this to not only hype Zoro's strength but to hype his future opponents. They are probably distinguished people if they can put Zoro in a bind. In otherworss if his opponent is very strong, they won't need to be hyped that much before the battle because injuring Zoro greatly during the fight is hype unto itself due to Zoro being so strong.

Note: I do not consiser Zoro being injured by Seastone scarecrow nails is a hype up for Hawkins. Maybe just a little. That shit was more of plot dramaticism than anything else to me..

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Zoro would have likely done more damage to Big Mom than Luffy, and that's fact.
Highly doubt that. Until I see something he can equal G4, he not touching the higher ups at all. At this point he is at Hawkins lvl after his last fight as not many can make Zoro bleed out, so we got a glimpse on where Zoro is at. Though do think he possible face Orochi in the arc since he have easy opponents the most compare to crew and Monster Trio, he needs someone to make him struggle and also swordsman to test his blade against since it been awhile since he last face one. Also hype on him losing and get a new sword later on too as Oda always make characters believable how they get stronger and he doesn't want make Zoro Gary Stu now xD.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It is a fact. Swords may not be a town buster, but it can slice or stab through stuff and damage something better than blunt attacks. Luffy would probably have had a better chance doing something with swords even though he doesn't know wtf he's doing.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States

@King Moe
That's because Sanji joined late when Zoro was still fighting others in pre-timeskip. If course declare to join, but not, anymore due to his current bounty and with confirmation on Jimbei joining and if he is one of the main, that makes Zoro with 4th highest bounty in the crew lol xD.

I'll hype him up, but by realistic, not overhype man lol. Biased is really with making the topic, guess I'll make a more logical topic for the character then.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Zoro would have likely done more damage to Big Mom than Luffy, and that's fact.
It is a fact. Swords may not be a town buster, but it can slice or stab through stuff and damage something better than blunt attacks. Luffy would probably have had a better chance doing something with swords even though he doesn't know wtf he's doing.
Its a fact that Swords can slab and stab, buts is also a fact that Big Mama is an Iron Balloon, capable of all 3 forms of haki. By more damage, you are hinting that Zoro is likely to do some damage, but from waht we know about Mama, that wont even leave a scratch.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its a fact that Swords can slab and stab, buts is also a fact that Big Mama is an Iron Balloon, capable of all 3 forms of haki. By more damage, you are hinting that Zoro is likely to do some damage, but from waht we know about Mama, that wont even leave a scratch.
Someone gives this man gold as he speaking sense!

You guys seem to forget we are in New World now, Haki is a thing. Doesn't matter what you use to fight with as if a person has stronger Haki than you, it will not make a difference at all XD.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am gonna ignore anything that tilts towards comparison with Sanji....

Lets strictly discuss about Zoro.

@nik87
We originally discussed that you thought Jack was a perfect opponent for Zoro. I disagreed and thought Sanji was, while Zoro suited more for the King or Orochi. Back then i theorized its the same person, but now I am more inclined to believe its going to be King.

What do you think now? I think Zoro vs King or Zoro . Orochi will probably have to be fought by a samurai itself. King is called Wildfire, and Zoro mentioned that he's interested in fireblades.... I think beating King will account to something on those lines.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am gonna ignore anything that tilts towards comparison with Sanji....

Lets strictly discuss about Zoro.

@nik87
We originally discussed that you thought Jack was a perfect opponent for Zoro. I disagreed and thought Sanji was, while Zoro suited more for the King or Orochi. Back then i theorized its the same person, but now I am more inclined to believe its going to be King.

What do you think now? I think Zoro vs King or Zoro . Orochi will probably have to be fought by a samurai itself. King is called Wildfire, and Zoro mentioned that he's interested in fireblades.... I think beating King will account to something on those lines.
Blame Nik on that as he talks about Sanji in first post here despite its all about Zoro.

I don't see Zoro fighting them in this arc if it's one after another and if I have to choose, rather be Orochi more as he feels like he has more cred as swordsman than King who possible might use his Zoan more in a fight and it's won't feel like a swordsman fight anymore kinda like Pica to be honest. It truly need someone to test blade vs blade more.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
If Luffy is YC1

Zoro is right on his tail.

The PK and WSS are two of the strongest titles in One Piece and both will have them by the end of this manga.

That's fact.

Did I hype right? lol

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
See what hokageji said is the reason I said it is not a fact because it hasn't happened yet. The only thing that gives Big Mon a scratch is when she is hysterical due to "the nun" and falls on her knees. That is the only thing that is stated as fact. Until Zoro slashes her open, he is not able to do more damage than Luffy. Big Mom is impervious to almost all damage is a stronger fact because that is what is shown. So to piggyback on that, I don't think Mihawk can do shit either. He'd get bitchslapped and his face will shatter with his sword because...Big mom is big mom. She can have her head in constant fire and not give a shit. A giant lightning bolt hardly did anything. Only Luffy is shown to be capable of withdtanding lightning because he is made of Rubber. Big mom is the only other character shown to be able to do that. And she aint made of Rubber.

Now if Zoro was in totland and fought, he would probably have a great fight againdt smoothie and that would definitely hype his ass up. Too bad he wasn't there. Lol this fool didn't give 2 shit to be there and didn't even care if Sanji came back.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm pretty sure it'd do more damage than Luffy's G4 attacks because again, physics work differently between a blunt force, slashing force, and stabbing force.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Slashing vs Blunt damage

Blunt damage is lasting, core, damage where as slashing or piercing damage is where you get far more immediate damage.

To even know if Big Mom is susceptible to either damage you would have to know the basis of her invulnerability.

This is physics.

Against Big Mom(from the information we recieved about her) Blunt damage be far more effective. You can cause internal damage, where as her skin is impenetrable from the outside. The proof of this is that Big Mom can be pushed around with enough force and it was implied by Perospero that Big Mom IS susceptible to poison.

Slashing wouldn't work against Big Mom, but force can. So Zoro would not have been able to cause more damage with slashing. If any damage at all. UNLESS, Zoro attacks Big Mom in her state of distraught (Like Luffy he would have to bypass BM's destructive Scream)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm pretty sure it'd do more damage than Luffy's G4 attacks because again, physics work differently between a blunt force, slashing force, and stabbing force.
Blunt force causes internal damage and the added effect of internal, Slashing MUST do external before moving internally. Since Big Mom is immune to external damage but susceptible to internal(poisoning), She's more likely to be weak to blunt.

Gear 4th might not be enough but a punch from Kaido? Or a King Kong Punch.

Physics says Blunt > Slashing, in the case of Big Mom

This is ONLY 100% BM, not starving and emaciated BM...

Last edited: