FINAL: Whitebeard vs. Shanks | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

FINAL: Whitebeard vs. Shanks

Who is the CHAMPION?

• Whitebeard

Votes: 46 50.5%
  • Shanks

Votes: 45 49.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Why? Isn't that how Roger beat Blackbeard? Because he was more popular? Why can't I do the same here?

Especially when Shanks is strong as it is. If it was Luffy or Zoro, I'd have voted for Whitebeard because he's easily able to beat them, even though I like Zoro and Luffy.

But OP is ultimately a popularity contest.

kingluffy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
in a fast fight whitebeard would win but i doubt that whitebeard could end these quickly, i do think that shanks can win in a long battle because of whitebeard's age

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's definitely the best battle ever.
I would like to see this.

And, it all depends IMO, on the two contestants health.
If WB is like he was, almost dying, then Shanks could pull it off.

But, if WB was healthy, then Shanks got no chance (even if we were to give him back his other arm just to be fair).

DRAGON-PEIN-SAMA

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Deffinitely Whitebeard.

WB Haoushoku Haki - Shanks Haoushoku Haki.
WB weak health - Shanks 1 armless.
WB physic muscular body shape - Shanks less impressive.

WB strongest DF - Shanks no DF.

So how can shanks win this at all??

Junior

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I voted Shanks.

I stopped activiely participating in this during the Prelims or so because I realized what this actually is: a popularity contest.

I believe the name "Tournament" is misleading. It gives you the impression that each character's accomplishments will be equally weighed against the next so we can come to a decision on which would prevail in a fight.

However, if this were the case we Shanks wouldn't even be in this tournament.

The only thing Shanks' supporters can say about him would be based on brief moments of fighting brilliance and speculation. The only thing Shanks' opposers can say is that he's missing one arm and lacks Whitebeard's muscle mass.

Yet we can go to a chapter and a page number to show what exactly Whitebeard's like in combat.

So, to me, this devolves into a trivial concept: Which character do you think is cooler?

I say Shanks.

Boomshakalaka.

Naruffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't really think muscle mass is an accurate way to judge which character is more impressive. I mean, just look at Vergo & Law.

DRAGON-PEIN-SAMA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Law had the appropriate DF to counter Vergo's physical strength and Haki. Shanks does not have anything to counter WB's power and DF.

RichardMNixon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Law had the appropriate DF to counter Vergo's physical strength and Haki. Shanks does not have anything to counter WB's power and DF.
No, according to Doflamingo, the DF was not enough. Law was stronger than Vergo. Muscles don't mean a whole lot in OP (see giants getting stomped by Luffy).

DRAGON-PEIN-SAMA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, according to Doflamingo, the DF was not enough. Law was stronger than Vergo. Muscles don't mean a whole lot in OP (see giants getting stomped by Luffy).
Law's DF played a bigger part in defeating Vergo than his haki. If it was simply just a Haki fight then Smoker already did that. But what immobilised Vergo was his DF.
Point is everyone seems to forget about WB's DF which could practically destroy the world.

Junior

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I don't really think muscle mass is an accurate way to judge which character is more impressive. I mean, just look at Vergo & Law.
When I was talking about muscle mass I was referencing the post above mine.

The guy mentioned physique as if that was a defining factor for his vote.

mugiwara4343

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
Guys I want to make one comment. Whitebeard has the dangerous devil fruit I agree but Shanks not having one doesnt make him weak. Garp didnt have one, it was not hinted Roger had one or Rayleigh either but these characters are freaking powerful. Whitebeard has CoC agreed but I think even in CoC there are levels and I bet(intuition) of all present now in one piece shanks has the highest level of CoC. Haki Vs Devil fruit in this case is like unstoppable force vs immovable object.

Shanks for me :)

DRAGON-PEIN-SAMA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well since Oda has made him the strongest man in the world... Confirmed it again through Sengoku.. Dont really see any point for people to argue about who is stronger. Ppl can like Shanks more than WB but no one can say hes stronger than WB.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I think titles like this one are taken too seriously here (same deal with Mihawk). One Piece is a vibrant world, and the real situation may change faster than the perceptions of the citizens. I still voted for Whitebeard, but not because he's "The Strongest Man in the World."

It's because he did to Akainu in 5 minutes what Aokiji couldn't do in 10 days.
well, it wasn't just a title,but rather a matter of fact. not to mention all the statements made by the other important characters (gorosei,sengoku ecc.). surely shanks isn't much weaker,but WB really was said to be able to defeat anyone,not to mention he was ill!

EMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I give to shanks because oda had build up shanks as a character that he is in the top and oda just teases with his power but what WB did in the war vs the marines is something that a regular human couldn't possibility handled and to add that he was really sick, it makes everyone shit their pants around WB but a healthy WB vs sharnks, i don't know the out come of this battle.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, everybody who's just coming out of the woodwork now to say 'This isn't a tournament, nobody compares skills, it's all about popularity!' I have one question? Where were you all during Enel vs Blackbeard? The Closest fight we've had in this tournament, both sides giving strong arguments, and most importantly actually analysing abilities rather than just saying 'Shanks is cool he can beat anyone!!111!1!'

Now, back to this fight - I'd honestly give it to Whitebeard, if only due to the amount of damage he caused while so injured and ill. WB, when he went mad and started stomping people of Akianu's standard (who, by the way, is still one of the strongest people in one piece behind the 4 Emperors and Rayleigh), had been stabbed repeatedly, shot with lasers, and on top of all that was dying anyway. I'm not going to talk about 'healthy' Whitebeard in this, as we haven't seen 'healthy' Whitebeard fight. But, for a bit of WB's power context, in the Battle for Marineford Squard stabbed him, Aokiji froze him, Akianu hit him with a magma attack, various marines stabbed him, Kizaru shot him with lasers, and after all that he still had enough strength left in him to practically OHKO Blackbeard AND Akianu in very rapid succession.

I appreciate Shanks is strong, as is up there in terms of the strongest OP characters, but all Shanks has done in the series so far in terms of feats is show he can spar with Mihawk and Whitebeard, and block one of Akianu's attacks with a sword. Now, bearing in mind at this point Akainu had already been beaten up by WB and fought the majority of the WB pirates, it's not all that impressive. Shanks's great conqueror's Haki won't do anything against someone as strong as WB, and while he has shown almost godly haki levels WB isn't exactly slouching either...

Plus, WB with his Nagatina and Gura Gura no mi provides him with a little bit more versatility - If he swings his Nagatina with his right arm in a wide arc while his left summons a shockwave, Shank's one arm really becomes a disadvantage.

Also, Sachsenhesse, I hope after spending the entire tournament voting against those who showed less feats, you didn't just vote for Shanks :P

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's not that Shanks is a regular badass with some of his appearances in the manga. It would be a shame if Oda does not live him name up to the badassery. I mean he was the FIRST cool character we kind of met in the series. Sure characters have been hyped? But SHANKS?... Come on, we know him from the start ...

Though to say a fight between yonko can go either way. The thing is WB was the strongest of the yonko ... supposedly, in his prime he would beat Shanks, and that STRONGEST MAN was probably about his prime more, of course I still think in a battle when WB is old and Shanks is in his current age, Shanks has the upper hand, just by a bit ...

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not that Shanks is a regular badass with some of his appearances in the manga. It would be a shame if Oda does not live him name up to the badassery. I mean he was the FIRST cool character we kind of met in the series. Sure characters have been hyped? But SHANKS?... Come on, we know him from the start ...

Though to say a fight between yonko can go either way. The thing is WB was the strongest of the yonko ... supposedly, in his prime he would beat Shanks, and that STRONGEST MAN was probably about his prime more, of course I still think in a battle when WB is old and Shanks is in his current age, Shanks has the upper hand, just by a bit ...
Fair enough, if you think that, but can I please ask why? I know Shanks must be strong, but I don't understand how people can vote him above the likes of WB (or even Rayleigh!) - from all we've seen from him, I can't see him winning.

I'm not saying you're not right, but I just don't see the logic and was hoping for enlightenment...

EMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks is a yonko, 4 strong pirates that everyone are terrific to hear their name and WB and shanks got that title while Rayleigh could easily be between them or above them i he wasn't retired but when it comes a battle between titans, the battle could go either way.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Fair enough, if you think that, but can I please ask why? I know Shanks must be strong, but I don't understand how people can vote him above the likes of WB (or even Rayleigh!) - from all we've seen from him, I can't see him winning.

I'm not saying you're not right, but I just don't see the logic and was hoping for enlightenment...
We have seen from him so little, but can we look at this as: HAVE WE SEEN ENOUGH? ... To say for sure he is below them. He is a mystery character, but we can not underrate him just because his time to shine in the series has not come yet, but let's compare stuff:

YONKO: 4 emperors, 4 strongest pirates that rule the NW. (Now with BB being one we know 5 that have had this title.)

Whitebeard vs. Shanks

Whitebeard - yonko, strongest man in the world(do not know at what time-during the war many mentioned his time had faded), became yonko though was always seen as the strongest among them(we have not really seen Big Mom and Kaido though - if we judge fairly they are just below him, but only JUST!) Fact is Whitebeard is from a different era, I assume these 3 are from the great Age of Piracy more. How can we even compare yonko going on the title alone, we can assume they are almost all equal, and are all afraid of attacking each other.

Going by some logic Shanks seems to be the youngest of them, I would go even further to say that he became yonko earlier in his life than any of them. So how can he be weak? So young and he is at that stage? Shanks is a newer era, a different type of pirate. We can flatter WB all we want but I see Shanks as the strongest thing of the Great Age of piracy, just look at how far he got?

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I vote for Whitebeard.

He was the strongest man after Roger and during the War with bad health managed to fight several Admirals at once and also trash Akainu, even though he already had an illness, tons of injuries and half of his face blown...

I don't really know how Shanks can logically win against Whitebeard, especially with only one arm...

Status
Not open for further replies.