FINAL: Whitebeard vs. Shanks | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

FINAL: Whitebeard vs. Shanks

Who is the CHAMPION?

• Whitebeard

Votes: 46 50.5%
  • Shanks

Votes: 45 49.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymizzo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Whitebeard showed us more stuff than Shanks.

But then again so did Mihawk. And Shanks had like 75% more votes than Mihawk. (I was among 10 people who voted for Mihawk.)

Now make Shanks beat Whitebeard too, because fuck it all, and then we'll have a one armed champion who never even fought on panel.
Now that will be a change :derp

leshrak

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I voted WB. Shanks never showed anything to be above WB. He sure is strong as hell but untill i see him defeating an admiral like WB did (against Akainu), he's nowhere near the old man.

astute_azure

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Shanks! Whitebeard is only a shadow of his prime.

Shanks showed no fear who ever he was against with, in fact he pretty much does what ever he wants, and succeeded in everything he wanted to do. I believe being an ex crew of Gol D. Roger, he is the nearest to becoming the new PK, in fact he can pretty much get One Piece if he wants to, just that he doesn't. He's more interested in keeping the peace and the balance of the world. Red Hair Pirates are the Peace Corps in One Piece, making sure there is peace and balance. He only fights when it's necessary.

WB lost Ace, lost to the Marines and lost to BB, and he is dead, he died a loser.

If and when Whitebeard uses both hands, ambidexterously, Shanks has legs, but what's more important are what's above his shoulders, and Oda pretty much emphasized Shanks lost no battle power even with losing one arm.

If Squardo can drill a hole to Whitebeard, Shanks can do better. Heck I did not see WB stop Akainu's fist, only Shanks can do that, BB was not even afraid of the old man, but he waived the white flag to Shanks. Shanks, was even unscathed from his meet ups/skirmish with Kaido.

:teehee:3c

RichardMNixon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all, everybody who's just coming out of the woodwork now to say 'This isn't a tournament, nobody compares skills, it's all about popularity!'
I read all of those comments as "Waaahh, my favorite character lost and I don't think they should have!"

Shanks is no pushover, but neither is Akainu, and Whitebeard made him look like he was.

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Akainu was willing to become a pushover through WB. Yes sir, but not to Shanks, he'd rather lay it off and calm down than to fight Shanks.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Shanks showed no fear who ever he was against with, in fact he pretty much does what ever he wants, and succeeded in everything he wanted to do. I believe being an ex crew of Gol D. Roger, he is the nearest to becoming the new PK, in fact he can pretty much get One Piece if he wants to, just that he doesn't. He's more interested in keeping the peace and the balance of the world. Red Hair Pirates are the Peace Corps in One Piece, making sure there is peace and balance. He only fights when it's necessary.

WB lost Ace, lost to the Marines and lost to BB, and he is dead, he died a loser.

If and when Whitebeard uses both hands, ambidexterously, Shanks has legs, but what's more important are what's above his shoulders, and Oda pretty much emphasized Shanks lost no battle power even with losing one arm.

If Squardo can drill a hole to Whitebeard, Shanks can do better. Heck I did not see WB stop Akainu's fist, only Shanks can do that, BB was not even afraid of the old man, but he waived the white flag to Shanks. Shanks, was even unscathed from his meet ups/skirmish with Kaido.

:teehee:3c
Whitebeard wasn't exactly shaking in his boots at the sight of the marines - In fact, Sengoku was the only guy who was terrified, and of whitebeard.
If your argument is 'he's highly ranked and was in Gol D. Roger's crew, so he's close to being pirate king', then can I please point out that the same criteria could be applied to Buggy or Silvers. As it stands, Shanks is one of the very strongest people we've seen, but Whitebeard - while almost dying, letting himself get wounded, being stabbed by someone you treated as a son - and were a good father to, if the vast number of crewspeople crying at his death was anything to go by. He was betrayed.
Gol D. Roger isn't around any more, he died too - in similar circumstances, in fact. Would you saying 'Whitebeard died so sucks' also mean that you think Gol D. Roger is pathetic and would lose easily to the likes of Shanks or Blackbeard?

Whitebeard has legs, too, first of all, and also what IS important about Shanks? He blocked one of Akainu's punches, and knocked out a lot of weak pirates. Akainu having already been kerbstomped by Whitebeard. Before Whitebeard beat up Blackbeard. Oh, and after WB had let himself get stabbed, repeatedly, frozen, hit with a magma attack and shot by lasers. Whitebeard wasn't deliberately taking down the people closest to him, he was strolling through a battlefield full of some of the most powerful people in one piece, pausing only to OHKO giants and vice admirals.

You're right, we didn't see Whitebeard block one of Akainu's magma fists. Intead we saw Whitebeard tank one, then proceed to pound Akainu into the ground. Akainu is one of the strongest characters we've seen, and he was taken out as if he was fodder.
d
What you also seem to be forgetting is it wasn't as simple as 'Nobody fought Shanks, so he's stronger!' There had just been a giant brawl, with people as strong as Marco, the Admirals, Garp, Ivankov, Sengoku, Whitebeard, Mihawk, Crocodile, Doflamingo, Jozu, Jinbe, Ace, Blackbeard... Nobody could have emerged from that battle in a full state - Shanks appeared after the Marines had just accomplished their goal to kill Ace and Whitebeard, Blackbeard had just stolen Whitebeard's fruit, and the commanders of the Whitebeard Pirates got distracted then incapacitated, blasts of Haki flying around knocking people out. Blackbeard at full health, with a reason to attack, might have fought Shanks. Were the marines to have a strong enough reason to, not have the Admirals being wounded, or almost knocked out, the Shikibukai infighting amongst themselves - everyone was tired and injured. So yes, they didn't fight Shanks. But were the situating reversed there's no way to know that the Marines and BB pirates wouldn't have let Whitebeard call an end to their war...

EMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think just because some people like shanks and others WB, there isn't a reason for trashed the other yonkou, i mean i voted for shanks because he being considered strong since chapter 1 and he stopped everyone from killing each other after WB past away but if we go for which one has show more so far..
WB is just one of a kind, no men could have handled what he did and fight so many opponents at the same time while nobody will touch WB lands protected by him and at the other hand, dhankd is a yonkou, he isn't a push over neither..

Ninja_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
India
Heck I did not see WB stop Akainu's fist, only Shanks can do that, BB was not even afraid of the old man, but he waived the white flag to Shanks. Shanks, was even unscathed from his meet ups/skirmish with Kaido.
I see this argument over and over again when it comes to talk about Shanks strength …. Just one thing would like to say about that… The fist raised by Akainu was for coby and not for Shanks.. and for such kid a full power fist imbued with haki was not required and was not delivered possibly… while when he hit WB it was raised for WB…. I am not sure (and why should I) that if Akianu would have raised his fist to attack Shanks, Shanks could have blocked it or not… And I am also not sure if shanks woyuld be able to counter attack after his half face blown… or after getting a hole in his chest by Akainu…

RezzieThaRapper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks wins... assuming his Haki is above the Admirals and Whitebeard, which is very likely... as I think of Shanks as a supercharged Rayleigh at the moment...

We've seen that Powerful Haki nullifies the Quakes as shown with the Admirals... +1 for Shanks

We've seen that Whitebeard doesn't dodge to well and is more of a tank, and the longer a battle goes on the more his health deteriorates... +1 Shanks

Shanks' Haki is greater since he is shown blocking Akainu with it.. while WB hasn't defended and only attacked with his... +1 Shanks

of course most of my reasonings are bull... but I'm not a big fan of this tourney... but Shanks!!! For The Win

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

I see this argument over and over again when it comes to talk about Shanks strength …. Just one thing would like to say about that… The fist raised by Akainu was for coby and not for Shanks.. and for such kid a full power fist imbued with haki was not required and was not delivered possibly… while when he hit WB it was raised for WB…. I am not sure (and why should I) that if Akianu would have raised his fist to attack Shanks, Shanks could have blocked it or not… And I am also not sure if shanks woyuld be able to counter attack after his half face blown… or after getting a hole in his chest by Akainu…
Because Akainu was known to hold back... right.. are we reading the same thing

Ninja_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
India
Because Akainu was known to hold back... right.. are we reading the same thing
Indeed we are… Putting an extra effort to make your attack power full for a stronger opponent or a regular attack always will be different… either it is about the power of attack, speed of attack or anything … there is “holding back mode”… “normal mode” and “going all out” mode… what I meant is “normal mode” … its like luffy’s pistol < luffy’s rifle <luffy’s bazzoka <jet attacks

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Shanks would not give anyone a chance to incapacitate him unlike how WB was chipped away in the war, Shanks afterall is in his prime, he might even have gotten stronger post time skip. Why would you tank an attack if you can stop and/or evade it. WB was shown to be untouchable(except perhaps the only scar he had in his prime with Roger), but during the war he no longer showed that ability.

As sarcastically stated by RezzieThaRapper, Akainu is not one to hold back, heck he even kills his own subordinates who runs away, and no one was able to stop him until Shanks came. Which arguably and simply means that Shanks > WB/Akainu/Anybody in that war.

Marines morale was high, BB morale was high, crew remnants of WB's morale still unwaivering(they had a new goal, to protect Luffy) But DOW(declaration of war) from Shanks to whoever wanted to continue fighting was all too much for them. Says a lot!

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

How can you say that the attack meant to kill blocked was simply Akainu holding back? No, its still meant to kill, look at how all the WB commanders trying to stop Akainu, heck Ace died blocking Akainu's punch meant to kill Luffy everyone had trouble stopping Akainu, but no sir, not Shanks.

Ninja_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
India
here

Since Marco stopped the punch he must be great too.. because WB took it head on ...

I dont know if people have heard about being offensive and being defensive during fight,,,, And lets be clear ... Who Shanks is suppose to fight in this tournament ... SHANKS vs ......
1. WB in his prime (>Shanks)
2. WB who came to the war (got stabbed by squardo..obviously he trusted him... whats the big deal..anyone can fall for that...Shanks got his arm bitten by sea king)
3. WB who was stabbed by squardo and jumped into the war.
4. WB who got stabbed by several marines in the chest and got a hole from Akainus attack when he was coughing because of his illnes and the stab he got ealrier
5. WB who finally got into one on one fight with Akainu after going through the whole war and fighting almost everyone on the field as he asked all his crewmates to support SH and not to cover himself...
6. Or WB who was against BB with half face blown and already decided to die so that everyone can escape...
7. Or the dead WB :p (Here shanks wins for sure) :p

Last edited:

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
As per rules, it states last we saw of the character. So it should be the WB arriving at the war, and I would not be wrong in saying the WB before he died (with all those holes, face blown and what not), :derp

Look at the panel next to that of what you've posted, WB face was blown to smithereens.

Seems like Marco is better than WB by that. Also, have you taken a look of the animated version? It was made clear Marco could not stop Akainu, but he could slow him down.

Even if you say that WB trusted Squardo, he still got drilled, and Marco commented it wouldn't be like that, even if he trusted Squardo, we know that a lot of WB pirates are actually those who wanted to kill WB, i.e. Ace, nobody was able to touch him, regardless of the situation, be WB asleep, off guard and what not, it was made clear WB was past his prime, not to mention his heart aching in the middle of the battle, which makes him vulnerable, that was the actual handicap that made the difference with his fight with admirals, so no, WB could not match Shanks.

Last edited:

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile
First of all, everybody who's just coming out of the woodwork now to say 'This isn't a tournament, nobody compares skills, it's all about popularity!' I have one question? Where were you all during Enel vs Blackbeard? The Closest fight we've had in this tournament, both sides giving strong arguments, and most importantly actually analysing abilities rather than just saying 'Shanks is cool he can beat anyone!!111!1!'
Bad example.

Willpower is everything in One Piece. With facts and fights seen, we can infere into a better comparison between god and dreamer-man. But from this fight when these bastards clash and we only see the a splitting sky. With only one showed facts to argue... it's obvious who's the winner if we talk about a truly tournament.

Lostromos

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I undestant people who vote for Shanks because they like him more. Fair enough.

But people who vote for Shanks because they think he is stronger i don't. No matter what argument they bring on the table it contradicts with the fact that it has been already mentioned on the manga that Whitebeard is the strongest man in the World.That's a fact. I don't think it is , IT IS.

** Whitebeard>all (Shanks included)**

PS: ** Please don't argue with me about that , argue with Oda, he stated it through Sengoku :super

Last edited:

Naruffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
While stated to be the strongest man in the world. WB was also portrayed as being past his prime. If such weren't the case, he would of steamrolled through each of his one-on-one confrontations with the Admirals and not of taken nearly as much damage as he did. The way I see it Prime WB > Shanks > Marineford WB, because Shanks wouldn't be hindered by the heart issues.

mugiwara4343

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
Oda stated Whitebeard is the strongest person, similarly Kaido as the strongest creature ... so what now!? he has not introduced what shanks is about may be like "Person with the strongest will". so when comparing people in the same league with titles wont matter much. Shanks for me :)

tobeulp

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
WB in prime will kill Shanks in prime in a second in his condition in the war with a bad health etc Shanks will win but it will be won by a close margin.

leshrak

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
In his prime, WB > Shanws. Nowadays, WB still >Shanks. He's weaker than his formes self, but is still the strongest

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Nowadays, WB = dead. WB did not cruise through the war, and he died a loser, he may have showed flashes of his strength, but in the end he lost. Shanks on the other hand, merely appeared there, and won without fighting. It's been two years since then, even if WB survived he would be much weaker than he would be.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

It's like comparing Kobe and Lebron, Kobe got rings to back it up, Lebron is dominating right now but he's still 4 rings short of Kobe's 5 rings. In comparison between characters of the same caliber, I chose one who can win it all, clearly that is not WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.