Others - The Nintendo Switch Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Others The Nintendo Switch Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
To Nintendo's merit, they seem to finally have understood how casual gaming works and how big it is, and are trying to capitalise on it (for the most part, for instance pokemon is getting more casual every day). I am not using casual as a derogatory btw, just in case...

Edit: in any case, this is the switch thread, sorry for going very offtopic. I like the idea of the Nvidia Shield console really, but the current library doesn't appeal me at all at the moment for the reasons I've given. Pretty unfair to judge this early however.
I haven't played most Pokemon games, but how exactly have they made it more casual? Before Let's Go, the last mainline Pokemon game I played was Gold :lmao. Obviously there is some stuff in Let's Go, but the only thing I can really think of is making your starter have a perfect IV, so it's pretty strong. Not sure if the catching mechanic being pretty much from Pokemon GO makes it more casual, maybe just different.

I think there's a benefit to the Switch, especially using it as a more expensive Indie Game machine. However, there's certain games that have no business being played on it if you can play it on PC. But most of the games aren't like that obviously. But I think Nintendo has been incredibly slow in making some sort of true Virtual Console... or even HALF of one or something. The portability and indie-game appeal of it is great, but I'm not sure it'd be enough without Nintendo's first party library obviously.

not gonna dive into the meaningless and endless debate of Console vs PC gaming, but why can't you just understand that some people prefer playing on consoles than on PC :cookiehand
Pretty sure he was talking about his own experience there. I'd agree though. There's obvious benefits to console gaming, no one can dispute that. But games running better on PC is as close to an objective truth as it gets. Some people don't care about that and would rather go for the convenience and small form factor of consoles, and that's fine.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
About casualisation in Let's Go; 1. Exp. Share from the start 2. Stat boosting candies are everywhere 3. No PCs - switch your party anywhere 4. Catching mechanic doesnt eat hp of you mons. 5. For money, you can buy a suiting nature for your next catch 6. Catch combos help finding rares and shinys.

And I personally think changes are great! The grind is why I usually drop Pokemon games for a while before I force myself to finish atleast E4. Now there is no grind! Lets Go Pikachu has been the most fun I've had with Pokemon for years, maybe even for a decade!

As for Wii U - it was horribly marketed hardware, which had promise but a clunky pad and didn't quite deliver, but it had a amazing roster of great games! That's why I'm super happy many of the best have gotten a chance for a new life on Switch.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I haven't played most Pokemon games, but how exactly have they made it more casual? Before Let's Go, the last mainline Pokemon game I played was Gold :lmao. Obviously there is some stuff in Let's Go, but the only thing I can really think of is making your starter have a perfect IV, so it's pretty strong. Not sure if the catching mechanic being pretty much from Pokemon GO makes it more casual, maybe just different.
Basically everything Ust said plus: go mechanics of course, which means there are no wild battles; lower levels for the mons of other trainers to compensate this (even though the xp share is broken); no abilities (and held items I think?) because god knows...

But Let's Go is basically a spin-off so I wouldn't really count it when talking about how pokemon is only getting easier with time. I was mostly referring to post gen 5 (that didn't do well enough so they went 180 on their approach for future games).

Since gen 6 your "rival/s" is a twat that lives to admire you, hardly ever (if ever...) gives you a proper challenge, heals your pokemon before every battle and gives you free pokeballs because FRIENDSHIP. Catching pokes now grants you xp instead of getting it only in KOs. The xp share was changed from a held item that shares 50/50 to it's own thing that gives 50% to EVERYONE in the party (granting you basically 300 % xp per battle). Some people say "just don't use it, have fun switching to get xp, asshole" but what I wanna do is use it the old way...

Gen 6 specifically gives you a starter, then a gen 1 starter that you'll be able to megaevolve, and in the same areas you find the elemental monkeys and pikachus so that you have perfect coverage and match-ups.

On the same topic-ish, they refuse to implement difficulties or a fucking second save slot (which is why I can barely comment on gen 7, as the slot is Farf's '-' but from what I saw the one battle that should had been challenging she walked through as she was over-leveled for catching too much... Which is the whole point of the game).

Pokemon was never really hard, specially as an rpg (...and I think I never really needed to grind? Except for nuzlockes and playing PokeMMO but that's a different topic and has it's own balance... And it was my first run ever '-' ) but since gen 6 they have gone too far and literally hold your hand so that you enjoy the adventure ahead.

Reactions: xi0

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Pokemon wasn't hard but i remember catching them all was really challenging in gen 2 (didn't play any pokemon game afterward). Catching the 3 legendary dogs in silver/gold was really a challenge, you spent 30mn in the wild to meet them just to see them run away to the other side of the map. regardless i'm planning to get Let's go just for the nostalgia as soon as i finish what i have on my backlog (black friday what have you done)

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
So far it's been pretty fun, but I'm pretty bored with how ridiculously strong your starter is. And it's also kinda boring that you can't evolve Eevee either, though I understand why.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I pretty much steamrolled Elite 4 with just partner Pikachu and a Venusaur. Little aid with Lance from a Gyarados.

Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Like, forget if you want to hunt for shinies and stuff... your starter is already super strong and you'll easily outlevel everything in the game. It's pretty silly.

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
the only shiny i ever got in pokemon was a rattata, they're so rare, only mad men hunt for them :lmao i believe the best part gonna be with the online battles and casual tournaments.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
You can catch combo to increase your chances now though. Still a lot of grinding, but I don't think it's anything close to how it used to be.

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Randomly looked for an online battle on youtube. Look pretty interesting, i can see lot of room for strategy and mind games. Doubt the little extra stats from shiny or iv will matter but still some peoples gonna go on an infinite grind for perfect stats and still gonna get destroyed xD

those 2 scrubs, no cc beside sleep :bnah
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
grabed Let's Go Pikachu, loving the game so far. It's pretty chill. It's my first pokemon game since silver/gold

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
grabed Let's Go Pikachu, loving the game so far. It's pretty chill. It's my first pokemon game since silver/gold
Same, but Eevee>Pikachu. Only normies get Pikachu version. :nunoderp

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Same, but Eevee>Pikachu. Only normies get Pikachu version. :nunoderp
:lmao
what sealed the deal for me is that i can't catch growlithe on the Eevee version and it's my favorite non starter pokemon. But yeah pikachu is annoying with his "pika pika PIKAAA"

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
:lmao
what sealed the deal for me is that i can't catch growlithe on the Eevee version and it's my favorite non starter pokemon. But yeah pikachu is annoying with his "pika pika PIKAAA"
Yeah but if you play Pokemon Go, you can trade the version-exclusive Pokemon anyways once you get to Fuchsia City, so it doesn't really matter too much.
You can get an Arcanine for free if you catch some Meowths too

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah but if you play Pokemon Go, you can trade the version-exclusive Pokemon anyways once you get to Fuchsia City, so it doesn't really matter too much.
hum can you trade as many as you want? i mean i noticed each pokemon have different nature which affect it's base stats making it hard to get the one you want lol that been said i like that feature. Now i want a huge growlithe with sp.atk in blue or everything neutral, been farming them since nearly an hour :lmao

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
hum can you trade as many as you want? i mean i noticed each pokemon have different nature which affect it's base stats making it hard to get the one you want lol that been said i like that feature. Now i want a huge growlithe with sp.atk in blue or everything neutral, been farming them since nearly an hour :lmao
As long as you have the Pokemon in Go, yeah. It's a one-way thing though, so you can't send Pokemon from Let's Go to Pokemon Go.

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
As long as you have the Pokemon in Go, yeah. It's a one-way thing though, so you can't send Pokemon from Let's Go to Pokemon Go.
I don't play pokemon Go sadly. I tried the online trade since i wanted to get Gengar, but it's a mess when you get randomly matched. you have no way to say what pokemon you wanna trade. Do you have a Nintendo switch online subscription?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't play pokemon Go sadly. I tried the online trade since i wanted to get Gengar, but it's a mess when you get randomly matched. you have no way to say what pokemon you wanna trade. Do you have a Nintendo switch online subscription?
No but I likely will due to Smash. I'm assuming the online features for Let's Go require it as well? I would have gotten it for that as well, but my progress has been a bit slow-going lately. I only cleared Silph Co. a couple days ago.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I found an Arcanine just chilling in the grass - got a Persian for catching some Growlithes :-)

Anyway, its a fun game so far, just got out of Lavender Town, the game is nothing special imo, but entertaining enough

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I found an Arcanine just chilling in the grass - got a Persian for catching some Growlithes :-)

Anyway, its a fun game so far, just got out of Lavender Town, the game is nothing special imo, but entertaining enough
Which version do you have? If it's Pikachu that would be normal, but you can only catch Growlithe/Arcanine in the wild in Pikachu. I guess the analogue for Eevee would be Vulpix/Ninetails.

Yeah, it's very nostalgic and fun though. With some added layers with additional pokemon types and mechanics introduced in later games. I just would have preferred the difficulty level was higher.