Seinen - 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki | Page 13 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki

Ganner_Rhysode

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Re: 21st Century Boys

No, it wasn't. The tankobon is actually out since 29th september in Japan, and untill now I haven't found any RAW of it...
And I'm talking about the TANKOBONS, not the Big Comic Spirits scans...

Last edited:

Obxist

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

yeah the tanks released not long ago :D

zrexe

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

No, it wasn't. The tankobon is actually out since 29th september in Japan, and untill now I haven't found any RAW of it...
And I'm talking about the TANKOBONS, not the Big Comic Spirits scans...
I see, my mistake! All's good though!

DragonMoonZ

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Barbados

I just wanted to say, i just finished reading the whole saga (except for 21st) and my GOD THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME to anyone who reads this post and didn't read it, shame on you and read it now NOW it tell ya!

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia

Hey, guys. I've thought, it would interesst some of you:

Here's the RAW of 21st Century Boys Volume 2. So now, it's REALLY over.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8zcknz

Here you go, and have fun.
(I want the TCB-Box so terribly... <.< Take a look at it, how awesome it is... XD)
I know, that was posted long time ago, but I can't find the raw of the second volume of 21stCB. Could anyone reupload it somewhere?

Thanks!

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I though nobody would even look at my message :P

Thanks Ganner_Rhysode ;)

PS: I'll put you as the Raw "hunter" in the chapter credits, ok?

Ganner_Rhysode

Reaction score
Country
Croatia

Absolutely no problem^^

Always kind enough to help you out. lol ^^

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia

By the way, photos of the actors who will take the role of Kenji, Otcho and Yukiji in the first movie are already on 20thboys.com website ;)

Also a cool background with the mecha appeared in the web :)

zrexe

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Whole manga is finally fully subbed, props to Obxist!

tcbsux

Reaction score
Country
Japan

omg.. such a terrible ending.. and after all that build up!

the last chapter makes about as much sense as a flying eggplant. Thanks urasawa for making me read through 24 volumes of complete crap. (yes its crap after you finish it, no matter how good the first 20 books were)

just had to somehow squeeze in one last random resurrection of a dead character who nobody even gives a S*** about. then not even try to attempt to explain how it came to be? and that someone somehow happens to look identical to fukube? okay so... are they suppose to be twins or something? or did he have surgery? OR WHAT GODDAMMIT!?

and where the hell does the laser gun come into play? yes let's say that its gonna be crucial for the final battle in the first couple volumes, then completely blow it off, never mention it again and hope nobody notices?

Urasawa is laughin his way to the bank right now after selling this load of crap for 8 years.

Coulda been a masterpiece; instead its just complete bullcrap. /end vent

Ganner_Rhysode

Reaction score
Country
Croatia

Oh dude, you haven't even read the series, have you?

First: Katsumata was mentioned throughout the whole series, and the idea, that he could be friend floated around my head since tcb#18.
He looks like Fukube 'cause of plastic surgery, which was also mentioned even twice in the last 3 books. Does it even matter?

And to be honest: It was just the PERFECT explanation, that it was Katsumata. Imo, it's the singe-most answer, which doesn't need any further explanation, and it's just perfect.

Read it once again and think a little bit about the timeline. (right now, I'm especially peeking at 21st Chapter 8: "You died today"... ;-PP Think about, what that has to mean, and where it could be settled in the timeline and well... That discovery was such a mindblow for me, that I'm still, 7 months after reading it, fucked up.)

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Ganner you're so right. The Ending is genious. Offcourse it could have been a 'oh no. It's Donkey/Mon-chan back from the death actually hating Kenji all this years' scenario. But that's lame. Instead of that he pulled a answer so simple so pure that I'm just like you totally astounded. People who are gonna bitch about the ending don't understand it. The 'Friend'is a symbol. The boy who had no Friends, was thought dead though he was on the same school, The boy forgotten by everyone. No one can remember a memory were he's actually in. Everyone's forgotten him. He is the boy without a face (teruterubozu reference) Everyone's forgotten him,except for Kenji. It gives us a clear answer though still keeps our minds go Crazy about it.My biggest concern was rather that he couldn't pull something off that astounded me, but he sure did. Also I was afraid of a scenario that he would chose just a kid that appeared once like in the haunted mansion, but he chose someone that that no one know and in the end that was the most genious answer ever. Urasawa knew from the beginning that this wasn't the crowd pleasing answer. Though it is his story. As long as he does it his way he makes it genious.

-Friend is the one without any Friends. Totally forgotten.

The surgery can be linked this way The boy without a Identity ---> No Face --> Teru TeruBozu --> Surgery so that he still hasn't got a face.

Where I still think about is: Did he ever Draw Katsumata? Maybe he's grinning in the crowd somewhere? Or is he one of the kids in their memories and did he appear frequently? But I rather don't think so.

@t tsbsuc: Did you actually read it? You're just frustrated because you don't inderstand it. What would you have liked? The Donkey/Mon chan Conspiracy? Yeah right. If you don't understand it don't post this shitty posts of despair. It's most genoius manga and one of the most genious stories ever created with a ending that was most impossible to astound us anymore but he did! Urasawa made this ending from the beginning on and knew he would totally blow us away in the end. It's the perfect balance between a revealing and keeping it open. I refer to Monster which ending was a little bit more open then revealing.
~I am needed, This world is not~

Trying to get the series complete this year! =D
Already have 21st Century Boys Volume 1.
20th Century Boys 1-6.

20th century Boys Vol 16-22 +21st Century Boys Vol 2 are on their way. The Rest will come later this year. Can't wait.

Last edited:

pep

Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Oh dude, you haven't even read the series, have you?

First: Katsumata was mentioned throughout the whole series, and the idea, that he could be friend floated around my head since tcb#18.
He looks like Fukube 'cause of plastic surgery, which was also mentioned even twice in the last 3 books. Does it even matter?

And to be honest: It was just the PERFECT explanation, that it was Katsumata. Imo, it's the singe-most answer, which doesn't need any further explanation, and it's just perfect.

Read it once again and think a little bit about the timeline. (right now, I'm especially peeking at 21st Chapter 8: "You died today"... ;-PP Think about, what that has to mean, and where it could be settled in the timeline and well... That discovery was such a mindblow for me, that I'm still, 7 months after reading it, fucked up.)
wowww i didnt get that :) care to explain? :eyeroll

Ganner_Rhysode

Reaction score
Country
Croatia

wowww i didnt get that :) care to explain? :eyeroll
So, my friend. Think about it...
We know, Katsumata was believed to be dead, and he died that day before the dissecting of frogs, or fishes or whatever they were dissecting.
From the end, we know, Katsumata was all those years still alive and the second Friend. But, like Endo Kenji already fabulously explained, nobody cared for him, and almost everybody forgot him.
Sooo... "You died today" is from my point of view settled one day before the dissection. As you may think, while you are reading, that Fukube and Yamane just pulled some childish game on Katsumata, by saying, he died that day. (Like "you are no more friends with us, piss off")

BUT... He literally DIED that day for the rest of the school. Fukube and Yamane supposedly told everybody at school and in the neighborhood, that Katsumata died. Since nobody really cared about him and didn't know what he LOOKED like ('cause of that mask), they all really thought it was true. And also 'cause of that mask, everybody just thought that's Sadakiyo walking around and not the allegedly-dead Katsumata.
So, he really "died" that day in the minds and memories of the whole pupils.

Now isn't THAT some fucking mind-blowing experience? As this revelation came to my mind, I went almost crazy, what an genius Urasawa is.
Now, enjoy it. ^^

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Pretty darn g00d. Ganner.

I also have my ownt theory about Volume 14 were the Second Friend Katsumata said. 'This is the Truth'. You may think he refered to Fukubei dying that night, but that's not what I think.

I think he meant that Fukubei did die (1 january 2015) and that he wasn't Fukubei coming back from the Dead.

Another thing, He hung himself. Many people can't get it out of there heads. I think it is a part of this conflict: Is Fukubei(Friend) Fake or Real? Like the Spoonbending etc. You could say it's part of that conflict. While another part from the other side of the conflict is the Fake Floating.

The Fool

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

The 'Friend'is a symbol. The boy who had no Friends, was thought dead though he was on the same school, The boy forgotten by everyone. No one can remember a memory were he's actually in. Everyone's forgotten him. He is the boy without a face (teruterubozu reference)
Man, you did the perfect description of Sadakiyo. XD

"The boy without a face", volume 10 - chapter 9.

"You died today" is from my point of view settled one day before the dissection.
The dissection [of carp, not frog] happened in Winter, maybe Autumn [read volume 11 - chapter 12, and look at their dresses: Yamane is wearing a sweater].

"You died today" happened in Summer [there are cicadas :)].

Last edited:

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Indeed the discription fits Sadakiyo well, because Sadakiyo was mixed up with the Second Friend <-- Same Mask. Sadakiyo was thougth by many to be the Friend at first but in the end he was the one who had some of the same factors but the big difference is that he wasn't totally forgotten! That may be a link between them! Maybe it hard to get a grip on what I mean. They are simiuliar but in the end it is Katsumata that was the real Friend. Hopes anyone can feel what I mean with that link. ( reference: Imitation of the Imitation).

Know I want to stand by Ganner's theory which is proven not to be perfect yet. Though still holds stand, because Fukubei may not have told that exact day Katsumata was dead but still that can be marked as the day of his 'death'. It may not have been that exact day but the theory still holds stand.

@t the Fool: One thing of the discription doesn't fit because in the end Sadakiyo had a face. While Katsumata really doesn't have a face and that is represented by the Teru Teru Bozu.

Still there a somethings I want to discuss with you guys.

At first: As said by the chief of police that Katsumata was the first Friend, Is that something symbolic?

Second: Who was that person on the roof (The man with the Remote <-- (that could be a hint). Was it Katsumata? So Katsumata planned it all out from the beginning? That has to be because he also wanted to do what was written in the new Book of Prophecies, His pages! So he must have planned it out!

Third: As I recall Kiriko telling that Fukubei spoke with a old Friend on the phone? Katsumata?
So what was his relation with Katsumata? Its hard to say cause it seems Katsumata was allways in the Shadows. Also it was said that they were in the same religious group. So maybe they were together but in the end Katsumata waited in the shadows. Like he says in vol 22: I don't Concern with Fukubei's ideas anymore!

And last but not least, did Urasawa ever draw Katsumata? Like that he poped up in the crowd once in a while? Though that would take away a little of the mystery, yet still be very cool.
Alot to read XD

Last edited: