A Fateful Encounter | Page 147 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

A Fateful Encounter

Best Fate Work

• Total voters

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Hey @Holt : D

I don't think I'm the right guy to ask for comedy manga, haven't read many tbh. The only ones I could recommend are Sket Dance and Gintama, but both also have serious arcs sprinkled in here and there (which is a concept I really like. It's a unique experience when a comedy series suddenly turns almost completely serious). Comedy is something very subjective though, I feel, so it's quite hard to point to a series and say person x is going to laugh a lot, especially if you don't know that person at all, so no promises from my side :p

Or wait, I got a really funny series for you: Bleach :toc
Haha, maybe I'll recommend bleach. However, if you could recommend something to start with, even if not comedy, what would it be?

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I forgot I posed it so, so we're in the same boat in a way.

Umm, I mean, I disagree to some degree about male vs female characters at least in a broad sense. There are standouts here and there obviously but for the majority I really do think female characters in the manga I read tend to be better just as a result of the authors being willing to take more chances with them. I think a lot of the issues I have with male characters out there currently is that authors are more risk averse than ever with the characters they feel like they need people to like. When an author gets something that they think works they just sort of freeze.

Which is a way MT really stands out among everything else. It began as a WN where I think it's easier to take those chances. And so you get the kind of evolving character arc. Which a lot of manga don't even try to do. And if they do it, they do it with female characters.

Like in Jujutsu Kaisen from what I read, I dropped it a while ago, Nobara was the most fun character and Maki's the one with the interesting character arc. Yuuji is sort of just a shounen protagonist. Not a bad one but he is what he is. Gojo was super cool but kinda shallow. Megumi was probably the best male character but he's not amazing either since he doesn't quite have the full degree of depth. Who else?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Actually I take that back. I don't want to short change Todo. He's pretty good. He doesn't really have an arc but he's pretty good just as is.
Pretty late again, but not quite as much as last time at least. Sorry D:

Well you're right in the sense that with female characters there are way less self-insert types, and they're the protagonist less often too, so the authors tend to do a bit more with them. Doesn't change the fact that many, many of them get turned into fanservice characters as well, though. I guess the difference is that you can appreciate some booba more than a boring self-insert character, yes, but it doesn't make them better or more interesting. The sheer amount of female characters is enough to say that there's a higher amount of interesting girls compared to boys in otaku media, but my point is I disagree that there's hardly any interesting male chars out there. Just my opinion though, besides that I think we agree on most points.

Your MT point is true in a sense, but I believe there's more works out there than you think who actually do take risks with male characters. Chainsaw Man is one prime example for a show that has a very not likeable protagonist. Another example would be Vinland Saga. Or Koe no Katachi. Or Death Note. Tokyo Ghoul too to some extent. Or Shingeki. Or I am a Hero. Just to name some examples that came to mind on the spot, and that's just manga (and I wouldn't say I've read all that much manga). You can argue whether those characters are "good" or became good eventually, but they're all dislikeable to some extent and go through a number of developments, some better than other.

About Jujutsu, Todo gets even better later on : D Regarding Megumi, he isn't amazing, but there's some additional standout male characters later on in my opinion. Not top of the top, but still. Guess we can come back to that once the anime has adapted the Shibuya arc.

Haha, maybe I'll recommend bleach. However, if you could recommend something to start with, even if not comedy, what would it be?
I'm probably way too late on this anyway haha, but I'll still give my thoughts :XD Feel like it's a bit too broad of a question, always depends on what the person in question likes and is interested in. I actually forgot one "funny" manga last time, which would be One Punch Man. Great paneling, and a fun mix of action and comedy. So there's a bit of both in there, which works pretty well in my opinion (and the art gets insane later on). Maybe I forgot to mention it bc I'd usually recommend the first season instead, bc that one was amazing. Season 2 not so much...

Besides that, I think Koe no Katachi is a really good short manga, that shows what the medium can pull off. Nothing much there that could put someone off either, besides maybe if bullying is too sensitive a topic for you.

A classic like Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist is always an option, too. Normally wouldn't recommend something with hundreds of chapters for your first manga, so these two work well. And that's it as far as general manga recommendations go, without knowing said person : D

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty late again, but not quite as much as last time at least. Sorry D:

Well you're right in the sense that with female characters there are way less self-insert types, and they're the protagonist less often too, so the authors tend to do a bit more with them. Doesn't change the fact that many, many of them get turned into fanservice characters as well, though. I guess the difference is that you can appreciate some booba more than a boring self-insert character, yes, but it doesn't make them better or more interesting. The sheer amount of female characters is enough to say that there's a higher amount of interesting girls compared to boys in otaku media, but my point is I disagree that there's hardly any interesting male chars out there. Just my opinion though, besides that I think we agree on most points.

Your MT point is true in a sense, but I believe there's more works out there than you think who actually do take risks with male characters. Chainsaw Man is one prime example for a show that has a very not likeable protagonist. Another example would be Vinland Saga. Or Koe no Katachi. Or Death Note. Tokyo Ghoul too to some extent. Or Shingeki. Or I am a Hero. Just to name some examples that came to mind on the spot, and that's just manga (and I wouldn't say I've read all that much manga). You can argue whether those characters are "good" or became good eventually, but they're all dislikeable to some extent and go through a number of developments, some better than other.

About Jujutsu, Todo gets even better later on : D Regarding Megumi, he isn't amazing, but there's some additional standout male characters later on in my opinion. Not top of the top, but still. Guess we can come back to that once the anime has adapted the Shibuya arc.
Well, I am guilty of painting with too broad a brush. Which I readily admit to. There certainly are interesting male characters out there if you search hard enough for them. But I maintain on the whole in manga you really do get a lot of the same more often than not when it comes to major male characters.

When you say I appreciate booba more than a boring self insert. Your right about that. Given the choice between those two things. I'm going to pick the former. Because the latter has no value at all to me as a reader or viewer. The appeal of those sort of greatest common denominator type of characters for me is in like videogames, where you take that blank slate and mold it in a way that interests you. And I think you can probably understand that frustration because as long as a character is just looking to be neutrally likable or a trope. They will never be great. They're really just a placeholder for the most part.

And maybe those characters that break that mold are out there and just happen to be in manga and anime I don't watch watch or read. You mentioned a bunch of series there I don't follow for various reasons (Vinland Saga, Koe no Katachi, Shingeki, I am a Hero) or who have been finished long enough to fade from conversation (Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note). I don't actually like Chainsaw Man not because of the MC but for other reasons. Same for Jujutsu Taisen. I dropped both after reaching their "Season 1 break" for the lack of a better term. Now it could very well be that the series I do follow, less contemporary more fantasy romance/adventure leaning where possible, maybe that limits my scope of experience.

If I'm talking about My Dress Up Darling, I like Gojo just fine, but he gets upstaged by kind of a lot by Marin-chan. And I feel like that's sort of how it should be honestly.

On a related note I really can't say enough good things about Cid Kagenou from The Eminence in Shadow. He is the most entertaining character since Satou Kazuma. I praise him every week and it's never enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nii

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
do you play Melty Blood: Type Lumina?

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
do you play Melty Blood: Type Lumina?
Nah, I'm staying away from that until the Tsukihime remake translation is released, don't want to (potentially) get spoiled. Already have the Switch Limited Edition here though, looking forward to finally playing it :3

Well, I am guilty of painting with too broad a brush. Which I readily admit to. There certainly are interesting male characters out there if you search hard enough for them. But I maintain on the whole in manga you really do get a lot of the same more often than not when it comes to major male characters.

When you say I appreciate booba more than a boring self insert. Your right about that. Given the choice between those two things. I'm going to pick the former. Because the latter has no value at all to me as a reader or viewer. The appeal of those sort of greatest common denominator type of characters for me is in like videogames, where you take that blank slate and mold it in a way that interests you. And I think you can probably understand that frustration because as long as a character is just looking to be neutrally likable or a trope. They will never be great. They're really just a placeholder for the most part.

And maybe those characters that break that mold are out there and just happen to be in manga and anime I don't watch watch or read. You mentioned a bunch of series there I don't follow for various reasons (Vinland Saga, Koe no Katachi, Shingeki, I am a Hero) or who have been finished long enough to fade from conversation (Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note). I don't actually like Chainsaw Man not because of the MC but for other reasons. Same for Jujutsu Taisen. I dropped both after reaching their "Season 1 break" for the lack of a better term. Now it could very well be that the series I do follow, less contemporary more fantasy romance/adventure leaning where possible, maybe that limits my scope of experience.

If I'm talking about My Dress Up Darling, I like Gojo just fine, but he gets upstaged by kind of a lot by Marin-chan. And I feel like that's sort of how it should be honestly.

On a related note I really can't say enough good things about Cid Kagenou from The Eminence in Shadow. He is the most entertaining character since Satou Kazuma. I praise him every week and it's never enough.
Just wanted to add that I mostly agree with you. There isn't much that's more annoying than a boring self-insert character, and it's always a missed opportunity. But it also goes hand in hand with the female archetype of pretty lady with nice booba who has x quirky character trait. They depend on each other, so to say, and this wish-fullfilment stuff is exactly what many find cringe or lame. Not that I would say that kinda story can't have it's value, but yeah, you have many many of these boring self-inserts exactly bc a lot of otaku want to imagine themselves with all those pretty ladies. So in a sense you could argue that boring self-inserts are the price you pay for getting more sexy ladies :amuse

And hey, maybe you still want to check out the new Jujutsu Kaisen season when it airs, bc the next two arcs are way better than what came before. Pretty sure you will enjoy that. Or did you dislike the first season that much?

As for Dress up darling, it's that kinda series, so ofc Gojo gets overshadowed by Marin. At least he's a lot better than say, the guy in Komi-san and similar cases. But series like that are created to fawn over the female lead, so that's only natural. Pretty sure that you have a ton of similar cases for manga catered toward girls, where the male love interests are all more interesting than the actual female MC (only example I can think of, though not exactly the best lol, is Vampire Knight).

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, your not wrong about the low effort harem-y characters. There are a lot of those too. I know your enjoying Danmachi so far this season and I think that stands as a good example of where I wish those series would strive to be. Ryuu is harem love interest. But there is a lot more going on there than just that. That is, I think, something that more manga/anime should strive towards.

And when I said I had issues with the first season I meant the manga. I read all the way up until the author took a break. The part the first season of the anime covered I liked a lot actually. Pretty much everything after this point I do not care for various reasons. I'd elaborate on why if you want me to but at the end of the day it's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Nah, I'm staying away from that until the Tsukihime remake translation is released, don't want to (potentially) get spoiled. Already have the Switch Limited Edition here though, looking forward to finally playing it :3
i see i see nii :nod happy playing! :cheerbunny

btw nii, are you following all the works in Nasuverse?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Nii I vaguely remember promising I'd tell you if I thought ToG is getting back into form. And I'm ready to say it's good again. It's been a rough go for a while, not sure when you dropped it, so if you don't want to plow through that to get to the good stuff I totally get it. But just know I am certifying it is safe for consumption once more.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
i see i see nii :nod happy playing! :cheerbunny

btw nii, are you following all the works in Nasuverse?
oh sorry ahmad, must've missed the second part somehow :sweat I thiiiiink I'm following almost everything at this point? At least everything that's fully translated if I'm not mistaken. There's some really obscure stuff I haven't read yet like Fate/school life or Hibichika Time, but not sure if either is fully translated (I think not). And then there's the yet to be translated stuff ofc, like the first part of the Tsukihime remake. The only "major" work I'm not following at the moment is "The Lord El-Melloi II Case Files" bc I found it rather meh (the anime at least) and translations are only coming sporadically (a major problem with a lot of Type Moon works, sadly...).

Ofc there's also stuff like manga adaptations for Fate/Grand Order, but I'm not bothering with stuff like that usually, if I've read the story in another medium already.

At this point the only two untranslated works I'm eagerly waiting for are the Tsuki remake and Fate/Extra CCC, but just for completionist's sake I think I will pick up what little is left besides that eventually :XD (though it's basically impossible to 100% consume everything, like some reeeeaaally obscure drama CDs that will never see a translation).

@Nii I vaguely remember promising I'd tell you if I thought ToG is getting back into form. And I'm ready to say it's good again. It's been a rough go for a while, not sure when you dropped it, so if you don't want to plow through that to get to the good stuff I totally get it. But just know I am certifying it is safe for consumption once more.
My bad for responding so late Jamms :sweatdrop Thanks for letting me know! Tbh I'm pretty much done with ToG at this point, doubt I will ever bother picking it up again, even less so if I have to put up with a ton of mediocre chapters first. I'm curious though, what makes you say it's back to being good again? Some kind of specific plot development?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My bad for responding so late Jamms :sweatdrop Thanks for letting me know! Tbh I'm pretty much done with ToG at this point, doubt I will ever bother picking it up again, even less so if I have to put up with a ton of mediocre chapters first. I'm curious though, what makes you say it's back to being good again? Some kind of specific plot development?
That and an overall change in tone and style. At least so far.

Since it sounds like you don't care about spoilers, So in a nutshell there were a bunch of big war arc things which, imo, all sucked pretty bad. But at the end of that Baam gets captured by one of the 10 family heads who sets up this sort of game where if he loses he has to marry the winner. All for the purpose of getting an irregular in the family. It brought back Yuri and Androssi along with mixing in that comedy aspect that was missing for a long while.

The tone also returned to being kind of weird and unique as opposed to a sort of battle manga. Which is very much SIUs strength. That creativity. ToG kind of needs that IMO. Those interesting characters and strange game-ified concepts are things the series kind of needs to work.

And, yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to pick it up again. Once I'm out with a series I'm usually out for good as well. Just remembered that I said I would tell you if it ever got back to where it is now.

• Hug

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That and an overall change in tone and style. At least so far.

Since it sounds like you don't care about spoilers, So in a nutshell there were a bunch of big war arc things which, imo, all sucked pretty bad. But at the end of that Baam gets captured by one of the 10 family heads who sets up this sort of game where if he loses he has to marry the winner. All for the purpose of getting an irregular in the family. It brought back Yuri and Androssi along with mixing in that comedy aspect that was missing for a long while.

The tone also returned to being kind of weird and unique as opposed to a sort of battle manga. Which is very much SIUs strength. That creativity. ToG kind of needs that IMO. Those interesting characters and strange game-ified concepts are things the series kind of needs to work.

And, yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to pick it up again. Once I'm out with a series I'm usually out for good as well. Just remembered that I said I would tell you if it ever got back to where it is now.
lol that does sound interesting. Yuri and Androssi always were the best ToG girls in my eyes, so bringing them both back is awesome too. They wanna marry Baam? :XD Seems kind of a ridiculous idea, especially so late in the story, but I agree that it does sound like bringing back the old charm of the series.

Pretty much agree with everything you said about ToG, a shame it took SIU so long to get back to that. What about Rachel btw? What's Baam's current goal? I hope he's finally moved on from that girl entirely.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
lol that does sound interesting. Yuri and Androssi always were the best ToG girls in my eyes, so bringing them both back is awesome too. They wanna marry Baam? :XD Seems kind of a ridiculous idea, especially so late in the story, but I agree that it does sound like bringing back the old charm of the series.

Pretty much agree with everything you said about ToG, a shame it took SIU so long to get back to that. What about Rachel btw? What's Baam's current goal? I hope he's finally moved on from that girl entirely.
Close but not quite. Yuri and Androssi are there to stop the wedding and rescue the fair maiden, by which I'm referring to Baam :XD .

The Lo Po Bia family head has got a whole sort of "animal taming" theme going on. So he wants to marry Baam into his family in order to get control of him of a sort. And the game is kind of like his way of getting Baam to agree to it. Even though he doesn't really have a choice. It's a fun and weird place to take things and in my opinion works quite well.

Long story short, Jinsung got captured and used as bait to lure Baam in. He led a whole army of forgettable and expendable FUG characters for the rescue. Then the Lo Po Bia family head showed up... and was pretty much only interested in Baam, considering the rest of it mostly beneath his notice. So took Jinsung and Baam and said more or less "You're going to be my son in law, your and everyone else's on the matter is mostly irrelevant." Which turned into this game.

Rachel is a clear cut villian now. She tried to murder Khun moderately successfully(he sort of ass pulled his way back to the land of the living). She's partnered up with Gustang and is with the Po Bindau family. Who are currently at war with Lo Po Bia family. Which is one of those things that happened during SIUs rather rough attempt to go epic.

Super short meta version. He tried to do the whole battle manga war arc thing. It was poor quality at best. The writing got real bad and took forever. So this arc scaled things back down and did a bit of a reset to fundementals as best it can while shedding as much of the baggage from the ill fated attempt to go epic as it could.

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Close but not quite. Yuri and Androssi are there to stop the wedding and rescue the fair maiden, by which I'm referring to Baam :XD .

The Lo Po Bia family head has got a whole sort of "animal taming" theme going on. So he wants to marry Baam into his family in order to get control of him of a sort. And the game is kind of like his way of getting Baam to agree to it. Even though he doesn't really have a choice. It's a fun and weird place to take things and in my opinion works quite well.

Long story short, Jinsung got captured and used as bait to lure Baam in. He led a whole army of forgettable and expendable FUG characters for the rescue. Then the Lo Po Bia family head showed up... and was pretty much only interested in Baam, considering the rest of it mostly beneath his notice. So took Jinsung and Baam and said more or less "You're going to be my son in law, your and everyone else's on the matter is mostly irrelevant." Which turned into this game.

Rachel is a clear cut villian now. She tried to murder Khun moderately successfully(he sort of ass pulled his way back to the land of the living). She's partnered up with Gustang and is with the Po Bindau family. Who are currently at war with Lo Po Bia family. Which is one of those things that happened during SIUs rather rough attempt to go epic.

Super short meta version. He tried to do the whole battle manga war arc thing. It was poor quality at best. The writing got real bad and took forever. So this arc scaled things back down and did a bit of a reset to fundementals as best it can while shedding as much of the baggage from the ill fated attempt to go epic as it could.
LOL but ofc :roflI assume Baam still has his harem of girls, while he's totally oblivious? Which reminds me, I stopped at this whole dog cage or what it was called... that was a boring arc, just never managed to finish it despite trying twice.

But yeah, what you're describing sounds way more fun than any of that epic war stuff (which SIU can't handle so well it seems). How does it work exactly, do the girls go through some tests to win him? :XD

Can't believe that FUG is still around... -_-; But good to hear that Rachel is a clear villain now. Does Baam still want to rescue her a la Naruto with Sasuke or is he ready to kill her for good? Assuming it's more of the former lol.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
LOL but ofc :roflI assume Baam still has his harem of girls, while he's totally oblivious? Which reminds me, I stopped at this whole dog cage or what it was called... that was a boring arc, just never managed to finish it despite trying twice.

But yeah, what you're describing sounds way more fun than any of that epic war stuff (which SIU can't handle so well it seems). How does it work exactly, do the girls go through some tests to win him? :XD

Can't believe that FUG is still around... -_-; But good to hear that Rachel is a clear villain now. Does Baam still want to rescue her a la Naruto with Sasuke or is he ready to kill her for good? Assuming it's more of the former lol.
It got worse, believe it or not.:emocat Am I exaggerating @Demonspeed ?

The way this arc is currently going is that he's in the hotel along with the rest of the "candidates" and he's trying to escape before the game starts and general mayhem is going on. Supposedly they can escape if they reach some portal thing but the family head is right there. So they will almost certainly fail.

FUG is still around and they're still plot cancer but now we're more in the 10 family stuff it feels like. Which is just better, for my tastes anyway.

As for Baam, it's hard to say. He seems like he's ready to kill Rachel if he needs to, ignore her if he doesn't, and she's openly evil now but his actions can be... inconsistent. So who knows.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Baam hasn't said how he feels about Rachel since their last meeting in S2, but he did threaten to kill her if she keeps trying to kill the ones he cares about.

Personally, I think he is still unable to kill Rachel, but he doesn't put her on a pedestal like before and is fully aware that they are enemies.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It got worse, believe it or not.:emocat Am I exaggerating @Demonspeed ?

The way this arc is currently going is that he's in the hotel along with the rest of the "candidates" and he's trying to escape before the game starts and general mayhem is going on. Supposedly they can escape if they reach some portal thing but the family head is right there. So they will almost certainly fail.

FUG is still around and they're still plot cancer but now we're more in the 10 family stuff it feels like. Which is just better, for my tastes anyway.

As for Baam, it's hard to say. He seems like he's ready to kill Rachel if he needs to, ignore her if he doesn't, and she's openly evil now but his actions can be... inconsistent. So who knows.
Sounds like one of the usual old Tests, kinda. Baam still isnt enough of a powerhouse to possibly beat one of the family heads? :toc

More 10 families stuff is always better in my eyes too lol, how SIU handled FUG was just pretty awful :sweatdrop You have my respect for managing to make it through all the big boring arcs.

So Rachel still is the usual bitch she always was, huh?