Quarterfinal - August vs God Serena | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinal August vs God Serena

Who wins this quarterfinal round?

• August

Votes: 71 85.5%
  • God Serena

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

inactive lurker account

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
On a more constructive note, maybe we can come up with certain stipulations that would determine the level of difficulty it would take for August to defeat or at least keep up with his opponent. To be sure, similar levels can also be proposed for other powerful characters, such as Acnologia, Zeref, and Irene.

(0) no difficulty: he doesn't even transform, and the opponent retreats or relents or surrenders due to his mere presence or magical aura
(1) very low difficulty: he can either stay or transform, and he just nullifies the opponent's spells and selectively throws them back as a show of force
(2) low difficulty: he transforms, he mainly engages in physical combat while nullifying the opponent's spells and tactically throwing them back as a counterattack
(3) medium difficulty: he transforms, he nullifies and copies whatever spells he can, while strategically unleashing simple spells from his collection
(4) high difficulty: he transforms, he nullifies and copies whatever spells he can, while strategically unleashing more complex spells or spell combinations from his collection
(5) very high difficulty: he transforms, he nullifies and copies whatever spells he can, while unleashing many of the various moves he could muster that aren't lethal for him
(6) extreme difficulty: he goes all out and uses all the moves he could muster that aren't lethal for him, with the generous assumptions that he has already copied all sorts of caster magic regardless of their special requirements, and that the nature of his magic grants him special physical stats
(7) last-ditch effort: he launches an attack that would also severely injure or even kill him, not because of plot but rather after all his other attempts fail
(X) bonus: he surrenders or retreats without a fight, or he is taken down without even getting a chance to fight

For this fight against God Serena I can tentatively put it at a range from (2) to (4)...

ADDENDUM: My manner of scaling for the king of magic may come off as rather quirky, in that (3) and (4) may not even really involve that much effort. But if an opponent were to make August work just a little bit harder than what he did to Jellal and company, then that already says something

The real challenge starts at level (5) though

Last edited:

Pirate Queen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I seriously thought this was six pages of everyone saying the same thing

"August takes this No Diff..."

I was greatly mistaken lol!!!! This forum sometimes lol great convo tho! Im thinking August can cancel God Serena's magic but won't be able to utilize it offensively or defensively. Either way, its an easy win

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Its also a fact that DS magic can only be gained by those two ways mentioned,are u denying those? :)
Not really, there are quite a few examples of people using DS magic without meeting those two criteria.
Neinhart was able to use DS magic by summoning God Serena, he pretty much created DS magic himself without any help from a dragon or a lacrima
Franmalth was able to use Natsu's Fire DS magic when he absorbed his soul.
That Owl from the Tower of Heaven arc was able to use Natsu's Fire DS magic when he ate him.
Lucy was able to use Fire DS magic when Natsu used Kain's voodoo doll to copy his Fire DS magic and apply it to Lucy.
At this point in the manga August copying DS magic isnt anything unusual. DS magic is caster magic, so August can copy it, its really that simple. It was even shown with the flashbacks in Gildart's explanation of August's magic that Melt was copied from Natsu.

Enima

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Not really, there are quite a few examples of people using DS magic without meeting those two criteria.
Neinhart was able to use DS magic by summoning God Serena, he pretty much created DS magic himself without any help from a dragon or a lacrima
Franmalth was able to use Natsu's Fire DS magic when he absorbed his soul.
That Owl from the Tower of Heaven arc was able to use Natsu's Fire DS magic when he ate him.
Lucy was able to use Fire DS magic when Natsu used Kain's voodoo doll to copy his Fire DS magic and apply it to Lucy.
At this point in the manga August copying DS magic isnt anything unusual. DS magic is caster magic, so August can copy it, its really that simple. It was even shown with the flashbacks in Gildart's explanation of August's magic that Melt was copied from Natsu.
But they use different types of magic.
  • Neinhart summoned Bloodman who used curses. August can't copy it.
  • Franmalth also used celestial magic which August can't copy.
  • Owl ate Natsu which means he also ate the seed inside him.(Besides God Serena has a Lacrima)
  • I don't think it was DS magic, probably just fire.
  • Natsu has never used a spell similar to Melt before.
August is more powerful than the guys mentioned above, no doubt about that. But we can't assume that August can copy God S' Magic because they have done similar feats. They can do stuff that August can't.

Tirl

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Where was stated that August can't copy curses?
August easily can copy celestial magic from celestial spirit. He just can't summon spirit without key, that's all. But after someone summoned spirit, August simply copy their magic. Well if they have any magic (like cow or goat hasn't any magic).

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
But they use different types of magic.
  • Owl ate Natsu which means he also ate the seed inside him.(Besides God Serena has a Lacrima)
  • I don't think it was DS magic, probably just fire.
  • Natsu has never used a spell similar to Melt before.
August is more powerful than the guys mentioned above, no doubt about that. But we can't assume that August can copy God S' Magic because they have done similar feats. They can do stuff that August can't.
But anyway, they are different circumstances and different powers, but my point stands, replicating DS magic has never been an issue before, there is no reason to assume it'd be an issue now.

August copying DS magic Is not an assumption. August copies caster magic and dragon slayer magic is caster magic, August not being able to copy DS magic is the assumption here. We cant just go assuming that DS magic is the exception to August's magic when it has never been an exception to any of the other people who have attempted to replicate it.

Last edited:

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Where was stated that August can't copy curses?
August easily can copy celestial magic from celestial spirit. He just can't summon spirit without key, that's all. But after someone summoned spirit, August simply copy their magic. Well if they have any magic (like cow or goat hasn't any magic).
But he can't copy any type of magic that requires a magical Item. The celestial spirit mage needs the keys in order to summon the spirits. He can't copy the magic without the "material"

Curses can't be learnt by normal humans, they aren't similar to magic. They are unique to demons and Zeref.

Sure, different circumstances, different powers, but my point still stands, replicating DS magic has never been an issue before, there is no reason to assume it'd be an issue now.

Melt probably isnt a specific DS technique, just a nuke using DS fire, like Laxus' lightning nuke on Azir.
Who else could Melt have come from? Mest? Brandish? Happy? Natsu is the only possible candidate.

August copying DS magic Is not an assumption. August copies caster magic and dragon slayer magic is caster magic, August not being able to copy DS magic is the assumption here. We cant just go assuming that DS magic is the exception to August's magic when it has never been an exception to any of the other people who have attempted to replicate it.
August has lived for about 100 years. He could've fought thousands of fire mages during this time. Also Natsu never used his magic in front of August.

It was never stated that August could copy all types of caster magic. He wasn't able to copy Gildarts' crash. As I've already stated the people you mentioned have done things that August hasn't done, so we can't say that because they could do it August could do it too.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
It was never stated that August could copy all types of caster magic. He wasn't able to copy Gildarts' crash. As I've already stated the people you mentioned have done things that August hasn't done, so we can't say that because they could do it August could do it too.
August did copy and use Crash, as seen when Gildarts turned him into cubes her reformed, said that Gildart's magic is a fun one, then proceeded to wreck Gildarts.

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
August did copy and use Crash, as seen when Gildarts turned him into cubes her reformed, said that Gildart's magic is a fun one, then proceeded to wreck Gildarts.
The one he used with his prosthetic arm.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
But he can't copy any type of magic that requires a magical Item. The celestial spirit mage needs the keys in order to summon the spirits. He can'y

Curses can't be learnt by normal humans, they aren't similar to magic. They are unique to demons and Zeref.

August has lived for about 100 years. He could've fought thousands of fire mages during this time. Also Natsu never used his magic in front of August.

No, Melt was an example of August copying someone he was facing, thats why it appeared in Gildart's flashback along with every other example of August doing that. If Melt wasnt copied from Natsu then it wouldnt have been included alongside the copying of Reflector, Crash, Sound etc.

It was stated that August can copy magic, holder magic is the only exception given, therefore you are making an assumption whenever you claim August cant copy any type of magic that isnt holder magic.

The people i mentioned all replicated DS magic, the fact that they work differently doesnt change the fact that replicating DS magic has never been a problem before, so there is absolutely no reason to believe August is the exception.
As for your points, i didnt counter then cause i couldnt be bothered, but i will now.
  • August nullified Larcade's abilities, Bloodman shouldnt be an issue, and even if it is that doesnt change the fact that Neinhart replicate DS magic.
  • Franmalth cant summon celestial spirits
  • Natsu was still alive, the Owl took the abilities from Natsu without issue.
  • It was DS fire with Kain, she used Fire Dragons Iron Fist.
  • Melt probably isnt a specific DS technique, just a nuke using DS fire, like Laxus' lightning nuke on Azir.
    Who else could Melt have come from? Mest? Brandish? Happy? Natsu is the only possible candidate.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
But he can't copy any type of magic that requires a magical Item
Not all Celestial spirits need items to use magic. Aquarius uses - Leo doesn't.

Curses can't be learnt by normal humans
August doesn't learn magic, he just copies it. Never stated he can't copy curse bs it is not normal human magic. Some curses don't need any material to be using. I don't say August MUST can copy curses, but never stated he can't.

The one he used with his prosthetic arm.
Arm punch wasn't Gild's magic. It is just mechanic arm with some magic inside.

inactive lurker account

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I can more or less get why many would overestimate August, but I don't quite understand the reasons and motives of those who would go out of their way to underestimate and downplay the guy.

In any case, for the purposes of the tournament match-ups, I assume a really optimized interpretation of the capabilities of the king of magic, just so that I can speculate what it would take to match such an overpowered broken character template

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
No, Melt was an example of August copying someone he was facing, thats why it appeared in Gildart's flashback along with every other example of August doing that. If Melt wasnt copied from Natsu then it wouldnt have been included alongside the copying of Reflector, Crash, Sound etc.

It was stated that August can copy magic, holder magic is the only exception given, therefore you are making an assumption whenever you claim August cant copy any type of magic that isnt holder magic.

The people i mentioned all replicated DS magic, the fact that they work differently doesnt change the fact that replicating DS magic has never been a problem before, so there is absolutely no reason to believe August is the exception.
As for your points, i didnt counter then cause i couldnt be bothered, but i will now.
  • August nullified Larcade's abilities, Bloodman shouldnt be an issue, and even if it is that doesnt change the fact that Neinhart replicate DS magic.
  • Franmalth cant summon celestial spirits
  • Natsu was still alive, the Owl took the abilities from Natsu without issue.
  • It was DS fire with Kain, she used Fire Dragons Iron Fist.
  • Melt probably isnt a specific DS technique, just a nuke using DS fire, like Laxus' lightning nuke on Azir.
But that part also includes a picture of August smiling:oh

It was stated that August could copy magic, it was stated that he can't copy holder type magic. It was never stated that he can copy all types of caster magic.

It does, because they are different types of magic. Can you say romeo can eat fire just because Natsu can do it.
  • Larcade uses magic like Natsu(END). It was mentioned by Zeref "our allies are suffering from your magic"
  • He can use their powers. He used Taurus.
  • Yeah but he still swallowed him.
  • True
  • ^
Not all Celestial spirits need items to use magic. Aquarius uses - Leo doesn't.

August doesn't learn magic, he just copies it. Never stated he can't copy curse bs it is not normal human magic. Some curses don't need any material to be using. I don't say August MUST can copy curses, but never stated he can't.

Arm punch wasn't Gild's magic. It is just mechanic arm with some magic inside.
You need keys to summon spirits.

He copies magic, Not curses. Magic king August not Magic & Curses king August

Wut bruh?:XD

This one

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That doesn't change that August did copy Crash and use it against Gildarts
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
August also countered "All Crash" here:

Yep! he was able to copy it and nullify it when a magical item wasn't involved. He wasn't able do it when a magical item was involved.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
You need keys to summon spirits
Spirits don't need key to use magic. August doesn't need to summon spirit to use their magic if someone summoned them.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
But that part also includes a picture of August smiling:oh

It was stated that August could copy magic, it was stated that he can't copy holder type magic. It was never stated that he can copy all types of caster magic.

It does, because they are different types of magic. Can you say romeo can eat fire just because Natsu can do it.
  • Larcade uses magic like Natsu(END). It was mentioned by Zeref "our allies are suffering from your magic"
  • He can use their powers. He used Taurus.
  • Yeah but he still swallowed him.
  • True
  • ^
Haha, pretty sure August smiling was part of the original Melt page.
It was stated he could copy magic, holder magic being stated as an exception doesnt mean we can go around making more exceptions. By default magic is copy-able by August, if it hasnt been stated or proven otherwise its an assumption.

You dont get what i am saying, i'm not saying August's ability is an exception, and can just automatically do all the exceptional things those other examples can do, im saying that DS magic is not an exception in the first place.
Characters have been able to copy DS without any more difficulty than it takes to copy other magics, and like August they dont follow the lacrima/seed rule, which means the lacrima/seed "rule" is not in fact a rule. There is absolutely no reason for August to have any more trouble copying DS magic than copying something like Meteor.

Fair enough on Larcade but like i said, doesnt change the fact that Neinhart not having a DS lacrima made no difference in his ability to create Serena.
But Franmalth cant actually summon spirits, which is what August cant to do, Celestial Spirit magic itself was never stated to be an exception.
Sure, he swallowed him, and used DS magic. Is swallowing Natsu really all that different from copying him? Both ways take the abilities from Natsu.

Last edited:

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
You need keys to summon spirits.
Example:
August vs Yukino. Yukino summons Libra. August cannot summon Libra, becaue he needs the key to do that and he doesn't have it.
So it's August vs Yukino + Libra. Libra uses gravity against August. She doesn't need any material to use gravity, it's just magic. August CAN copy Libra's magic.

Star Frost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Example:
August vs Yukino. Yukino summons Libra. August cannot summon Libra, becaue he needs the key to do that and he doesn't have it.
So it's August vs Yukino + Libra. Libra uses gravity against August. She doesn't need any material to use gravity, it's just magic. August CAN copy Libra's magic.
Isn't she using scales to use magic though?

Status
Not open for further replies.