Anime - Berserk (2016) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Anime Berserk (2016)

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Berserk (2016)

Episodes: Unknown
Airing Date: Jul 1, 2016
Producers: Millepensee, GEMBA, LIDENFILMS
Genres: Action, Adventure, Demons, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Military, Romance, Seinen, Supernatural

Synopsis
Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces that pursue him and his woman, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength, skill, and sword, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Not good at all, as expected. The CGI was surprisingly bearable to me. They didn't religiously follow the manga so I guess they will do the same next episode to make his capture coherent.

I like the OP and the ED but Puck's voice is annoying. I expected something else.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Where you guys watching it at...pm plz thnx

:XD

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Where you guys watching it at...pm plz thnx

:XD
You can watch it at Crunchyroll I think, that's the official place to watch it.

If not then just go to the usual place you watch it anime at, or google anime episodes or something. I watched it at gogoanime.

I already shared my thoughts about the episode in the hangout, it's not great and since they're skipping my favorite parts I'm even less interested now. Not a huge fan of the conviction arc tbh.

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I don't know what to think about this... The only thing I can say I liked very much is the OST. Gonna keep my mouth shut until I see more of this.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I don't know what to think about this... The only thing I can say I liked very much is the OST. Gonna keep my mouth shut until I see more of this.
It's Shiro Sagisu, they actually reused a few pieces from the movies...

Well you don't have to put your impressions about the series as a whole, it's too early for that anyway.We're just giving our impressions about the first episode.

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I thought it was okay.
Not great, but good enough.

I'm firmly in the camp of "Any Berserk is better than no Berserk at all", so this is better than nothing.
Of course, I'd be 100x more thrilled if this wasn't this ugly CGI, but it is what it is.
It's an art style that I'll get used to, I guess...
The worst for me is when they speak... the mouths really don't match their words, this is really distracting...

As for the voice actors, they are pretty much what I think they were.
I was expecting the same voice actress than Happy (Fairy tail) and Kagura (Gintama) for Puck.
I didn't check, but it is pretty close if it isn't her, so I'm fine with it.

I'm fine with changing the story a bit...
Having Isidoro in the bar at the beginning totally made sense and was fine IMO.
Although, I didn't know that they were skipping that many stuff in the story...
Skipping through unimportant things is okay, but skipping the whole Lost Children arc really sucks, in my opinion...

Welp, at least this mean we'll get Schierke and the Berserker Armor sooner, right?! :tem

Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Welp, at least this mean we'll get Schierke and the Berserker Armor sooner, right?! :tem
Yay....:notrust
I'm not gonna lie, I don't really like the berserker armor. I always preferred to see Guts face while he was fighting and him making those crazy expressions.
You can still see that, but it takes Schierke stopping him from going berserk.:/

and I just don't like Schierke:ninja

Please don't kill me for saying that.

Shinsatsu

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
You don't like Schierke? Blasphemy! Call Mozgus quick!

Arcueid

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
This is one of the worst first episodes i've ever seen.

- Skipping stuff already
- The animation is garbage
- Fight scenes are ridiculous
- No emotions on the faces
- What's with all the zoom in

Most of us knew it will not be great, but is it really too much to ask for a good adaption of this Manga...

Last edited:

Shinsatsu

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
This is one of the worst first episodes i've ever seen.

- Skipping stuff already
- The animation is garbage
- Fight scenes are ridiclious
- No emotions on the faces
- What's with all the zoom in

Most of us kenw it will not be great, but is it really too much to ask for a good adaption of this Manga...
It's not too much to ask. They wanted to be "special" and didn't use the same animation techniques as the other anime titles... It didn't end up well. I think that Miura had something else in mind but didn't find anyone capable of executing his idea perfectly, he went ahead with this in the end.
I don't think that you can make a fully rendered anime correctly (yet). It just looks different. If it was Gantz or something then the CG would look great, but Miura's artwork is nothing like the results we've seen so far.
I was going to stay silent about this but you triggered me. I don't like this episode at all, and here's a list of things I could do without:
- Puck would've been funnier in his silly form without the CG.
- This is not the best way to start the story. I think they will do flashbacks to make up for it but it won't be as good as starting the anime with the original Berserk Manga chapter 1. (Asking about apostles and looking for a way to summon the 5 asses).
- Isidoro's hair almost made me turn off the episode and go to sleep. (It was very bad and plastic-like at one point).
- The pacing was weird. and the zoom-in you mentioned bothered the hell out of me.
- The first fight scene was supposed to be iconic (Cleaving the man in half at the bar + Stabbing the other dude's nose and questioning him), we got some rabbit hunting techniques instead.
- The opening song is good but the animation they used in it was sub-par. Every studio uses the best animation they could produce in the opening... But not this one.
- There was something wrong with the lighting. The atmosphere in the lake of bodies was too bright and the forest was really weird, it didn't convey the feeling the manga did...

And many other things I was turned off by... But at this point it's gonna sound like nitpicking.

The OST was great. and ... yeah ... The OST was great.

Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
It's not too much to ask. They wanted to be "special" and didn't use the same animation techniques as the other anime titles... It didn't end up well. I think that Miura had something else in mind but didn't find anyone capable of executing his idea perfectly, he went ahead with this in the end.
I don't think that you can make a fully rendered anime correctly (yet). It just looks different. If it was Gantz or something then the CG would look great, but Miura's artwork is nothing like the results we've seen so far.
I was going to stay silent about this but you triggered me. I don't like this episode at all, and here's a list of things I could do without:
- Puck would've been funnier in his silly form without the CG.
- This is not the best way to start the story. I think they will do flashbacks to make up for it but it won't be as good as starting the anime with the original Berserk Manga chapter 1. (Asking about apostles and looking for a way to summon the 5 asses).
- Isidoro's hair almost made me turn off the episode and go to sleep. (It was very bad and plastic-like at one point).
- The pacing was weird. and the zoom-in you mentioned bothered the hell out of me.
- The first fight scene was supposed to be iconic (Cleaving the man in half at the bar + Stabbing the other dude's nose and questioning him), we got some rabbit hunting techniques instead.
- The opening song is good but the animation they used in it was sub-par. Every studio uses the best animation they could produce in the opening... But not this one.
- There was something wrong with the lighting. The atmosphere in the lake of bodies was too bright and the forest was really weird, it didn't convey the feeling the manga did...

And many other things I was turned off by... But at this point it's gonna sound like nitpicking.

The OST was great. and ... yeah ... The OST was great.
Nah bro, they didn't want to be original about it, just cheap. Because it's cheaper to just render everything compared to drawing stuff by hand. Take the Ghibli movies, since the panels used to be drawn by hand it took considerably longer to work on a movie, and when we speak time we speak money, even if the animators themselves in the industry are paid less than what they should be.
So it's not an artistic choice, especially if the result looks crappy.So it's really all about milking the series.And since we fans are craving for any sort of Berserk adaptation, they prolly thought they hit jackpot.

And how much is Miura involved? Most of the time when an author is said to be overseeing an adaptation, it turns out his involvment was really minimal.Just take GRRM as an example, in the earlier seasons of GoT he was more involved, now he stopped completely, and look how shitty things turned out to be. There's no way in hell he would have agreed to some of the changes in the show.
So in Miura's case, even if he's said to be involved, I doubt he'd be ok with them butchering his work like that, and this is not the first time either. The movies already changed a bunch of stuff, and the CG was gross most of the time.So people should realize by now that Miura's involvement is likely to be very minimal, and it's the same with every author.

And I prefer Susumu Hirasawa, his work fits Berserk perfectly, it's dark grim and weird.And Miura actually listened to him while drawing Berserk. Shiro Sagisu's stuff is getting repetitive, all his recent stuff sounds the same, with choral vocals etc. Evangelion, Berserk and the Magi anime all share the same kind of music, and it's damn tiresome.

Last edited:

Dragoon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Lol it really was bad... damnit. They're just milking it while they can

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I still want to watch it, ignoring the fact that it's a floppy. But where can I watch it in the highest quality and updates fast?
:notamused

Shinsatsu

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Of course we'll watch it... It's just very annoying that the best manga in the world didn't get the best possible anime adaptation.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Of course we'll watch it... It's just very annoying that the best manga in the world didn't get the best possible anime adaptation.
I feel exactly the same about Tokyo Ghoul.. But what I'm most let down by is the fact that despite Berserk being much more popular, its anime adaption gets treated like garbage...
:notamused

Dragoon

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
At least we're finally off the damn boat... now to see what the next berserk chapter shows us (obviously referring to manga here)

I took a bit of a step back and berserk anime could have been worse but it doesn't help that such a dark epic is being shown this way. Isidro's hair... frigging cripes that was cringe worthy

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
At least we're finally off the damn boat... now to see what the next berserk chapter shows us (obviously referring to manga here)

I took a bit of a step back and berserk anime could have been worse but it doesn't help that such a dark epic is being shown this way. Isidro's hair... frigging cripes that was cringe worthy
Screenshot? :notamused

goodyfresh

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Word of warning: Massive spoilers ahead concerning the layout of the new anime. Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.

Well, the first episode of the new anime is out, and I have both good and bad things to say about it. First, it's badass as all hell and Guts is badass as all hell, and it's still extremely dark despite being a TV-broadcasted anime. But, entire scenes from the manga have been cut (Snakehead) and at least two entire really good and actually somewhat significant arcs, The Count and Rosine, along with all the major characters in them. I am very disappointed in this regard. I was sure that they anime wouldn't cut and abridge tons of content like the movies did due to obvious time-constraints. . .but I was completely wrong. Just like Wyald being ommitted from the movies, some great Apostle fights (and important scenes of character-development for Guts in the process) and the entire arcs surrounding them are being cut from the anime. Moreover, they already introduced Isidro and Schierke in the first episode, with Guts even MEETING Isidro already, which I find just ridiculous. They seem to be skipping straight to the Tower of Conviction Arc. Finally, just as I had feared, the animation looks kinda wonky.

I've been introducing a friend of mine who loves anime but doesn't like to ever read manga (and won't do it) to Berserk through the Golden Age movies. I was ALREADY pissed that he as a result had to miss out on major moments of bonding between Guts and Judeu, Guts and Griffith, etc., as well as a chraracter like Wyald and the fight against him, just because he's watching the anime instead of the manga. Now, this is guy is going to miss out on Theresia, Jill, Rosine, and the Count, and EVERYTHING surrounding them. Now, he won't be able to see it as plausible that the Holy Iron Chain Knights manage to capture Guts (since he isn't nearly as severely wounded as he was in the manga) unless they give a major bullshit-powerup to Azan that wasn't in the manga (which based on the next-episode preview, looks like it may be the case). Now, my friend will never see how Guts was willing to take an innocent girl like Theresia hostage in order to achieve his revenge, or how he willingly let himself get stabbed in the face in order to beat Rosine. This will now be the case for anyone who ever views Berserk solely in anime form (which I'm sure will be plenty of folks) rather than reading the manga. Personally I think that's an injustice.

My friend did watch the first episode with me, and he's already turned-off by the weird wonky/uncanny looking CGI animation. Which also sucks. I'm very disappointed.

What do you all think? Is anyone else as disappointed as I am? If you are, are you, like me, still going to watch this series because it's the best we'll ever get of Berserk in anime form, and because it's still very badass?

102jayday

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I felt so depressed watching it
Been re reading the manga and I kept saying looks like we will never get anything close as good as manga.
The emotion threw me off, we got a depressed looking Guts and during this arc he isn't really sad he is you all know a vengeful killer that goes berserk.
Like the scene in manga when he threws up seem so fast pace but the anime it was slow and like oh ok....
Sucks that nearly everything is cgi in this. I will take shitty 2d drawing over smooth cgi anyday.
In the end I kinda liked it from seeing the characters like shrike at start.

I really wish they just had the whole anime like they had it in the Opening

Last edited: