Hangout - Berserk General Discussion Thread | Page 73 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Berserk General Discussion Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Wow... well, Kouji Mori was on a lot of people's minds after some statements he made and some tribute art. If anyone could be a steward for this story with Miura gone, it would be him. Best case scenario given the circumstances.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I hope he still works on that semi-biographical manga he wanted to do featuring him and Miura though, that sounded interesting.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Reading their statements got me teary-eyed :')

Honestly speaking, I can respect that decision. All of them thought this over a lot it seems, and I trust Mori + the assisstants that they wouldn't do something Miura didn't want.
Will it be a perfect reproduction of what Miura would've drawn? Obviously not, but they said so themselves. But if Mori knows the ending and the general story beats (as well as actual lines from the sound of it) that seems like a reasonable compromise to me. I can only wish them luck in this endeavor, and personally I'm definitely looking forward to what's to come.

And though I think it's fair to criticize this move or new chapters to some extent, I really hope people won't be too harsh on the crew. No matter how it turns out, I have absolute faith that these people are going to try their absolute hardest to live up to Miura's legacy, and that alone deserves respect.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I hope he still works on that semi-biographical manga he wanted to do featuring him and Miura though, that sounded interesting.
Apparently it was supposed to be a One-Shot?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Apparently it was supposed to be a One-Shot?
Yeah, it was released the same issue as MIura's last chapter (Issue 18). Mori did say he thinks he wants to do a longer version of it some day though.

102jayday

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sounds like berserk is in good hands with a friend from when they were 15 year olds. Teared up reading the comments, I feel every chapter is going to be emotional reading it also makes me a little bit happy sounds like Miura had a good friend.

szopaman

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Best news possible. We need proper ending of Berserk-Best manga ever. Of course it won't be as good as Miura would do, but still, we need this. And also there is one big adventage:there is chance of New chapters more often than once a year :D

Jubei_Kibagami

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Excited. I don't even care if there's a notable change in art just so long as the story is finished.

I guess those that said I was "entitled" for wanting this very type of news in the last chapter thread won't be reading the new material.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Great news ! What a fantastic team

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
I am cautiously optimistic. It won't be the same no matter how faithful Miura's team is. I am happy to see his vision realized as this story and his legacy deserve that.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Excited. I don't even care if there's a notable change in art just so long as the story is finished.

I guess those that said I was "entitled" for wanting this very type of news in the last chapter thread won't be reading the new material.
I don't think anyone had an issue with people wanting the story continued, even if they vehemently disagreed with the idea.

RIP.

I really hope Miura-sama explained the broad strokes of where the cliffhangers are headed to an assistant or something.

I guess we really WILL be waiting forever to see the end of B.
Saying this immediately after his last chapter was published is probably why you were called entitled

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think anyone had an issue with people wanting the story continued, even if they vehemently disagreed with the idea.

Saying this immediately after his last chapter was published is probably why you were called entitled
It was not *news* of Miura dying after the last chapter was released - MONTHS later. How the story might or might not have continued was relevant.

It wasn't a wake - it was the chapter discussion.

Now, had I said that May 6, 2021 then that could be seen as insensitive.

But, as usual, people go out of their way to get offended about something. I'm not surprised at all.

*also ignores the respect I put on Miura's name, first* (par for the course)

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It was not *news* of Miura dying after the last chapter was released - MONTHS later. How the story might or might not have continued was relevant.

It wasn't a wake - it was the chapter discussion.

Now, had I said that May 6, 2021 then that could be seen as insensitive.

But, as usual, people go out of their way to get offended about something. I'm not surprised at all.

*also ignores the respect I put on Miura's name, first* (par for the course)
What makes you think you get to determine how/why/when fans grieve, especially when it was the same day his last chapter was released and it would be the last time anyone would be reading a chapter penned by him? People don't need to have a personal relationship with him or be at his funeral to be affected by that.

This recent news is cause for celebration, not an excuse for you to still be acting indignant over someone being justifiably bothered by your insensitive commentary. Prefacing your post with "RIP" isn't a free pass to say anything you want. Again, wanting a continuation isn't insensitive or entitled, complaining about the story never being finished or joking about how we all knew we'd be waiting forever for an ending is, and you know it is.

Plus, complaining about what you wrote then has nothing to do with whether someone bothered by it wants to enjoy the continuation or not so your comment doesn't even make any sense.

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
What makes you think you get to determine how/why/when fans grieve,
I never did such a thing. I said what *I* was thinking, directed at no one in particular, after respecting the author (who I hold in high regard, same as you and everyone else here) - long after the fandom had already been broken the news. Simple as that. *I* didn't dictate how people should feel (let alone single anyone out) - the professional victims certainly did though! 'hOw DaRe YoU'

especially when it was the same day his last chapter was released and it would be the last time anyone would be reading a chapter penned by him? People don't need to have a personal relationship with him or be at his funeral to be affected by that.
Well, then they take that on themselves, and do not need to project that on to others. Yes, indeed, a personal relationship with Miura is simply imagined for 99.99999% of the globe no matter how much you enjoy his works. Still, Miura hadn't *just* died, whether you felt like you knew him personally or not (again, you didn't). There's always someone playing the 'too soon' card in any event... even though I *clearly* intended no disrespect, and stated as much.

This recent news is cause for celebration, not an excuse for you to still be acting indignant
It's not indignation (on my part). I find it curious how certain types will bend into pretzels to previously take offense (the actual indignant ones, if you on a witchhunt for one) for the very thing that I wanted - that Miura's team also desired as well: the completion of the story. History shows my take is the correct take. So, will the vocal professional victims decide not to read it because the mere thought of continuing the story is blight on Miura's legacy? OFC not. Because the thought is, OFC, not inherently offensive.

over someone being justifiably bothered
Debatable. I didn't besmirch the author, or his legacy - certainly not intentionally. Had I desired to say something insulting, then *that* would be something to get "justifiably" bothered about. I suppose it would go something like this: "you don't get to talk about my mangaka that way...!" The immediate assumption was that I had some shit-posting against Miura's death or something; a fallacy that you (for some strange reason) insist on continuing to this very day.

by your insensitive commentary.
Miscategorization, and not the intent (stated then, and repeated now). Did my more recent words hit close to home or something?

Prefacing your post with "RIP" isn't a free pass to say anything you want.
This could be a valid argument if I went out of my way to say something vile about Miura, or mock him, or whatever. I merely said I wish he had done exactly what we now know he did. The shame!

Again, wanting a continuation isn't insensitive or entitled,
Agreed! That's precisely what I had thought too. Hmmm...

complaining about the story never being finished or
Which is it?? I saw it as an unfortunate, permanent cliffhanger - i.e., never to be finished. So did Demon - the same day, hmmm... What is it to call something a literal "cliffhanger" if not to evoke the desire to see more (which is all I said)? And many, many others (that don't post here) feel the same, and did at that time as well, and clearly the demand was present for the team to want to give us more. That's not a "complaint" - but I guess the bigger issue is what exactly is your problem with me (something seemingly ongoing)? It *clearly* wasn't a complaint, but a WISH, and stated as such, and repeated for clarity.

joking about how we all knew we'd be waiting forever for an ending is, and you know it is.
It's a running joke that it feels like forever in between releases. Having one with permanence - that doesn't just FEEL like forever, but really is - isn't a joke at Miura's expense, no matter how much you insist it is/was. It's merely *my* way of pouring one out for the man that kept us in constant wait for more material with painfully long breaks in between releases, and levity about the whole thing seemingly ending abruptly, unfinished after all. Wanting more in perpetuity is the best compliment I can offer him, and if that's offensive to you then feel free to act hysterical about it like the other responder. I find such behavior peculiar to say the least. "What makes you think..."

But, further, how about *I* get authority over what *I* meant, not yourself? If you wanted to know what I meant you could have asked me to elaborate, instead of attempting to tell me what it is I was intending to do. Jokes, btw, *are* actually bandied about at actual wakes to break the tension, and are also a way of grieving.

Plus, complaining about what you wrote then has nothing to do with whether someone bothered by it wants to enjoy the continuation or not so your comment doesn't even make any sense.
Sure it does. Hypocrites that act personally aggrieved (they aren't, that's completely manufactured, as it almost always is with that type of person) that the continuation of the story was ever - *shock* - mentioned now have to contend with the FACT that not only the team but the greater audience wanted exactly what I wanted - the continuation of the story. I simply said it during the discussion of where the story left off (where it seemed most logically-appropriate) - not the day the news broke of his passing months prior.

OR, instead they could, you know, be consistent and "be thankful for what we got" and consider the work and canon *closed* by not reading further? Instead of, you know, bringing up his assistants having insurance (?) or some other non sequitur replete with tone policing.

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Fantastic news and a best-case scenario if there was to be a continuation of the series. Won't be the exact same experience but I welcome being able to see this journey come to some sort of end 🙏

It all depends on how you express it, wanting it is one thing but the tone you express it with especially when emotions are still raw given the sense of sadness and finality at the time dictates how people will perceive you.

Ratedhook522

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I'm actually happy it's being continued, I've run into a lot of great manga works that have discontinued due to the authors death, (high school of the dead as an example) but happy to know its being continued. Berserk has inspired a lot of works that have sprawled up and I believe it will continue to do so under it's new author and the assistants of the previous author.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Just giving a light warning now that I'm not going to respond well to "jokes" regarding whatever the continuation's release schedule ends up being going forward. Don't think I need to explain why either, thanks.

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Just giving a light warning now that I'm not going to respond well to "jokes" regarding whatever the continuation's release schedule ends up being going forward. Don't think I need to explain why either, thanks.
Yea, still crazy somber here. I remember changing my signature way back when Miura passed for this reason. It was no longer a joke to see if Berserk would be finished before he died. No one ever actually believed he would leave so soon. I am just so appreciative we get to see the continuation of the story. The respect he has worldwide and that his staff and friends had for his work is astronomical.

Reactions: xi0