Voting Round 2 - Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Nana | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Nana

Who wins?

• Fullmetal Alchemist

• Nana

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Fullmetal Alchemist
Hiromu Arakawa

-

Nana
Ai Yazawa

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
England
FMA pretty much speaks for itself anyway. So take your time Farfosh, I will wait for that amazing post. I am a patience person.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Alright!

FOR THE ONES THAT APPRECIATE A DENSE SERIES:
I'll try my hardest not to spoil people but to deepen my previous analysis (in the thread of Nana vs. Kakegurui) a bit.
How I percieve the manga and its characters:
- Komatsu Nana (Hachi): she portraits maturity and change. She starts as a rather selfish, annoying and weak character, but it's easy to relate to her essence at times: she's insecure and clingy, she relies on others to make decisions and to find comfort, to sum it up: she's very depending on others and needs self-affirmation. She nurses ambitious dreams but can't pull them out by herself alone, and ends up following other people's footsteps. That essence allied to the situations she faces and inputs she recieves lead her to become an empathic person, though. It's a very beautiful transformation. To a point it's inspiring... when you feel you share some of those "flaws" and see where she ended, it makes you wonder...
- Osaki Nana: unlike Hachi, she's passionate, devoted, independent and displays a lot of strengh. She polishes the shards of her dreams and doesn't let others set her path. Her essence never changes, she portraits deep roots and solid nature. Having a hold of yourself doesn't mean you can fully control your life, though - what happens with the rest of the world is often completely out of your hands. So she faces the anguish of desiring and pursuing things that clashes with her context... and demonstrate that having a set mind can make it easier for the world to crush you...
The two Nanas represent a clash between being able to adapt and transform and staying true to yourself, knowing what you want but not being able to let go of it. The perception of strengh can easily change due to that and the decision making process that comes from those two completely different profiles is endearing to follow.

Ah I read, "Yazawa uses her characters dreams to tear away in their lives. Nothing is perfect, she seems to be suggesting. We spend our lives striving for something, yet the closer you get to it, the further away you push everything else. Is your dream truly worth all that? Such questions are interwined with Nana's spindly aesthetic and dramatic story".

FOR THE HORNY ONES:

(anime 'cause animated - which is quite faithful to the manga)

FOR @Brandish:
I said it already, but... you don't wanna face FMA next, right? Ç_Ç RIGHT???
End its reign of terror NOW!

FOR MAFIA GAME PLAYERS:
FMA is @Purity of Magi 's nominee.
How many times have her trolled you??
For how long has she been playing you with her gender?? I know some of you even wanted to marry her, to then hear she might as well be a guy!
You'll be the next in line to be shot in the face when she gets the Vigilante role again, will your future self forgive you for aiding her now??? ò.ó
How much do you want to give her a badge, HUH??
(and don't worry if you don't wanna gimme a badge either. Nana winning this is nothing but an utopia, sadly)

FOR THE ONES THAT UNDERSTAND DESPAIR:
PM me your price and bank account.

FOR THE FMA CORE LOVERS:
Just listen to Winry, then D: She's a girl of value!

Now I'll take some break. Sam taught me there's no good in going desperate and pushing people '-'
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
FMA pretty much speaks for itself anyway. So take your time Farfosh, I will wait for that amazing post. I am a patience person.

This is gonna be a damn monologue XD
Even I love FMA, lol...

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Magi nominated FMA because Erin asked in the first place and he is not even planning to promote the series so why should I vote for FMA? I am not one of those who see it as a masterpiece too(though yes it's pretty good).

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
Alright!

FOR THE ONES THAT APPRECIATE A DENSE SERIES:
I'll try my hardest not to spoil people but to deepen my previous analysis (in the thread of Nana vs. Kakegurui) a bit.
How I percieve the manga and its characters:
- Komatsu Nana (Hachi): she portraits maturity and change. She starts as a rather selfish, annoying and weak character, but it's easy to relate to her essence at times: she's insecure and clingy, she relies on others to make decisions and to find comfort, to sum it up: she's very depending on others and needs self-affirmation. She nurses ambitious dreams but can't pull them out by herself alone, and ends up following other people's footsteps. That essence allied to the situations she faces and inputs she recieves lead her to become an empathic person, though. It's a very beautiful transformation. To a point it's inspiring... when you feel you share some of those "flaws" and see where she ended, it makes you wonder...
- Osaki Nana: unlike Hachi, she's passionate, devoted, independent and displays a lot of strengh. She polishes the shards of her dreams and doesn't let others set her path. Her essence never changes, she portraits deep roots and solid nature. Having a hold of yourself doesn't mean you can fully control your life, though - what happens with the rest of the world is often completely out of your hands. So she faces the anguish of desiring and pursuing things that clashes with her context... and demonstrate that having a set mind can make it easier for the world to crush you...
The two Nanas represent a clash between being able to adapt and transform and staying true to yourself, knowing what you want but not being able to let go of it. The perception of strengh can easily change due to that and the decision making process that comes from those two completely different profiles is endearing to follow.

Ah I read, "Yazawa uses her characters dreams to tear away in their lives. Nothing is perfect, she seems to be suggesting. We spend our lives striving for something, yet the closer you get to it, the further away you push everything else. Is your dream truly worth all that? Such questions are interwined with Nana's spindly aesthetic and dramatic story".

FOR THE HORNY ONES:

FOR @Brandish:
I said it already, but... you don't wanna face FMA next, right? Ç_Ç RIGHT???
End its reign of terror NOW!

FOR MAFIA GAME PLAYERS:
For how long has she been playing you with her gender?? I know some of you even wanted to marry her, to then hear she might as well be a guy!
You'll be the next in line to be shot in the face when she gets the Vigilante role again, will your future self forgive you for aiding her now??? ò.ó
(and don't worry if you don't wanna gimme a badge either. Nana winning this is nothing but an utopia, sadly)

FOR THE FMA CORE LOVERS:
Just listen to Winry, then D: She's a girl of value!

Now I'll take some break. Sam taught me there's no good in going desperate and pushing people '-'

Even I love FMA, lol...
Farfosh, your post is so desperate, it's so painful.... such a joy in my eyes. I approve it.

FOR MAFIA GAME PLAYERS:
Using my Mafia games and what not as something against this? Didn't thought you would lower yourself on that level. Such a shame on you, madame Farfosh. Oh well, it's not like we aren't used of that, no? Quite adorable I must say.

Even I love FMA, lol...
XD Please, enlighten me more why Nana is suppose to be more superior than FMA.

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
As a FMA Fanboy, I will unredeemably vote for it...:music

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favourite mangas of all time.

Unlike most manga stories, it establishes the rules early (how alchemy works, what its limitations are, etc.) and, most importantly, for the most part it sticks to them.

It has a complex story, which flows logically and doesn't really have anything too out of left field.

The characters all have interesting backstories and are well written, in that you know how they should act in a situation – and when they fail, or break down, you feel it.

Talking of 'feels' – I am not sure any of the other manga in this competition have them like FMA does.

It also has a load of morally grey characters.

It has some downright bastards, but you can understand why they do what they do (even the father of the year had a reason, albeit a horrifically misguided one, for why he decided to do what he did [you don't threaten to take a man's watch!]).

The world is vast, interesting and the interactions between the different nations and cultures is handled quite realistically.

FOR THE HORNY ONES:

2 can play that game

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Using my Mafia games and what not as something against this? Didn't thought you would lower yourself on that level. Such a shame on you, madame Farfosh. Oh well, it's not like we aren't used of that, no? Quite adorable I must say.
Well, I learned from the best: you '-' I'll shoot at any direction here.

XD Please, enlighten me more why Nana is suppose to be more superior than FMA.
Hm, I'll say it's a personal taste.
Nana surprised me more, and I couldn't stop reading/watching it. It hit me so hard and got me deeply immersed in it.
It's a very different appeal from FMA's, imo. Another level of badass. But both Arakawa and Yazawa are masters, yeah.
It's just that Nana is dear to me. Aside from RK, there's no other manga that affected me more. Nana promoted changes in me, became a part of me. FMA is an amazing piece I won't forget - 'cause it marked my memory, but not my being.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Lust :sky2. It's true that Magi is not the only one who can promote the series.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
2 can play that game
undefined
We shall dance, then.
Maybe you can still fit in this category, Zimbu '-'
v
And give Nana a try. 'Cause what you wrote bellow, can also be applied to it.
It has a complex story, which flows logically and doesn't really have anything too out of left field.

The characters all have interesting backstories and are well written, in that you know how they should act in a situation – and when they fail, or break down, you feel it.
It also has a load of morally grey characters.
Ok, it is impossible to promote a solid manga almost no one knows against a solid manga EVERYBODY knows XD
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Lust :sky2. It's true that Magi is not the only one who can promote the series.
What else could I expect from the Fiend ç.ç Feeding in hopes and then slowly moving them out of grasp~

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
What else could I expect from the Fiend ç.ç Feeding in hopes and then slowly moving them out of grasp~
Hey, I am still favoring Nana you know.
At least I did. But now I see this... I don't know anymore :hmph.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Ok, it is impossible to promote a solid manga almost no one knows against a solid manga EVERYBODY knows XD
Well, you pushed hard enough for me to google it - that's more than most of the mangas I didn't know in this comp.

I may give it a look, but not sure I am a huge fan of stories revolving
heavily around the romance and relationships of the two characters as one seeks fame and recognition while the other seeks love and happiness.
they tend not to be my jam.

Also, and most importantly, it appears to lack one crucial ingredient

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
Hm, I'll say it's a personal taste.
Nana surprised me more, and I couldn't stop reading/watching it. It hit me so hard and got me deeply immersed in it.
It's a very different appeal from FMA's, imo. Another level of badass. But both Arakawa and Yazawa are masters, yeah.
It's just that Nana is dear to me. Aside from RK, there's no other manga that affected me more. Nana promoted changes in me, became a part of me. FMA is an amazing piece I won't forget - 'cause it marked my memory, but not my being.
Okay, wait.

I see where you are going since I understand the feelings you have for the manga, but that's just not enough for me. And as you said, you like FMA also. Just tell me clearly what you like more about Nana and what FMA doesn't have what Nana has for you. Like for example; why is/should the story be better than FMA story? Or why are the characters better orso? I mean, I am pretty certain there is a way that you can tell it without spoiling something. Besides, if you want to spoil something use the tag, I don't mind spoilers really. Since it seems you've a hard time expressing that XD

And I just want to hit my 1200 post with this post, I accomplished my mission.

Last but not least, it just popped up my mind besides Lust and Winry...... Riza is quite an animal lover. Who doesn't love a woman with such a cute dog with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.