Quarterfinal - Gildarts Clive vs Wahl Icht | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinal Gildarts Clive vs Wahl Icht

Which Fighter Advances?

• Gildarts Clive

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Wahl Icht

Votes: 32 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Voting Rules:
  • This Battle is a 1 vs 1.
  • During the Quarter Finals, you'll be able to vote up to 24 hours after discussion ends.
  • You may vote for one character in this fight.
  • So you voted early and someone/something changed your mind? You can use the 'Change Vote' option to choose again.
Gildarts CliveWahl Icht
Discussion will end on: June 18th, 2016
Voting will end on: June 19th, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm unsure about this fight in a way as it might be able to go either way, but at this stage I actually see Wahl Icht winning this one. It should be interesting to see how discussion goes :)

GokuSSJG

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Wahl wins. I don't care how much Gildarts is overhyped nor will I speculate if he trained or whatever. Wahl takes this.

Shoutmon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
I'm gonna give this one to Wahl.

THE ALMIGHTY CRYBABY

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I choose Wahl because Gildarts is just too featless. The last time we saw him was in the silent chapter of the tartaros arc. I could change my mind if he appeared in the current arc but I fear he won't ( Hiro seems to hate Gildarts or why is he not involved in ft anymore!?)

Dranzer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Based off of hype, since I feel as though Hiro is saving Gildarts for a greater fight in this arc, I would probably put Gildarts over Wahl, but if we instead used the power he possessed last time we saw him I'd say the fight would be much closer.

I feel as though the fight would really come down to hand-to-hand combat because of Gildarts' ability to render projectiles and AoE spells mostly null, but personally I'd like to say Gildarts comes out with the victory (high difficulty), but at the same time, Wahl could very well come out victorious with the same conditions.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Wahl wins.

Jellal.S.N

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Guildarts should win but I guess I'll vote for Wahl. All we know is that "Guildarts should win" not "definitely win". Some feats are making Tenroujima Natsu give up (and this guy never does even against Jellal, Laxus and Hades) but at the same time Wahl can scan for weaknesses. I choose Wahl due to more feats but if you ask me with FT logic, Guildarts easily.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
I might change my vote (and i'll actually wait before voting) but i'm leaning towards Gildarts for now.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whal, despite being a massive Gildartz fangirl. Gildarts has no business being in this tournament, he hasnt been seen in so long that its laughable that he is even a contestant

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
In my head, Glidartz was always superior to Laxus up until the GMG, when I believed the gap between them shrinked a little bit. However, we haven't seen him during the current arc. A timeskip has recently occurred. One year is the time our protagonists (Natsu, Gray, Erza, Laxus...) needed to empower enough to surpass the mightiest mages of their continent (the Gods of Ishgar).

All of them happen to be at or near their primes. However Glidartz is probably past his prime. Still, I'm going to be assuming he has trained this year and has undergone similar improvement as the aforementioned and I'm going to just conclude that he's slightly (very slightly) above current Laxus and therefore at mid-to-high tier Spriggan level, above the likes of Neinhart, Jacob or Wahl, around the level of Bradman, and below the likes of Dimaria, Brandish and God Serena (and obviously well below August and Irene).

It's very likely that Hiro ends up surprising us with a Glidartz comeback in which we see that he's become massively stronger, rivaling the likes of August or Irene; I personally wouldn't like that at all and I will stick to believeng Glidartz will be slightly superior to Laxus.

Being so, and considering Laxus won with high to extreme difficulty against Wahl even when he was sick, partially destroyed in the inside and so on, I'm going to give this to Glidartz mid difficulty.

I'm going to just assume Glidartz can deintegrate/crash anything (literally anything) that Wahl can throw at him, and I'm just going to assume his reaction speed is enough as to dodge/render useless his strongest attacks (bullets) just like Laxus managed to. In the event his reaction speed is lower than Laxus' and unable to react to such projectiles, I'm willing to think he can actually "coat" in crash magic rising his defense to absurd levels. This is all conjecture though.

The weakness thing is not going to work here. If you remember, his machines against the Strauss sibling worked against their weaknesses. So, Lisanna had a hard type (because her attack is low) and Elfman got a speedy type (because he's slow). Juvia had a steam one in order to render her intangibility useless and Gray had a fire one in order to melt his fire. But Mirajane had "no weakness" as the machine pointed out, only, well, a gag weakness: Elfman haha. I'm just going to assume Glidartz shares this condition with Mirajane, being both strong and fast, and thus rendering the weaknesses thing useless for this battle.

I can only see Assault mode Wahl and his etherion canon actually hurting Glidartz, in the event the battle comes to that.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Giving this battle to Wahl.Gildarts has only hype and he in X791 is no Spriggan level.

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
The weakness thing is not going to work here. If you remember, his machines against the Strauss sibling worked against their weaknesses. So, Lisanna had a hard type (because her attack is low) and Elfman got a speedy type (because he's slow). Juvia had a steam one in order to render her intangibility useless and Gray had a fire one in order to melt his fire. But Mirajane had "no weakness" as the machine pointed out, only, well, a gag weakness: Elfman haha. I'm just going to assume Glidartz shares this condition with Mirajane, being both strong and fast, and thus rendering the weaknesses thing useless for this battle.
But Gildarts does have a weakness. The bot would just transform into a hot babe and Gildarts will become incapacitated, giving Wahl enough time to fire etherion.:teehee

Last edited:

Kay3795

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Gildarts lacks new feats, but with what he had shown, he's borderline spriggian-tier to Spriggian-tier. However, he's fighting an opponent that could adapt to his general power & act accordingly in order to render his power sorta ineffective. I favour the Robot more.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Such a shame that Gildarts hasn't shown up yet. Anyway, currently I'm torn in this battle. I believe Gildarts should be strong enough to face Wahl but it'd be a very close battle. It'd be CQC for the most part and I think Gildarts can hold his own here:

First, let's consider a few things. Gildarts could send Tartarus-level Natsu flying with a causal punch. Apparently not even imbued with magic. I think it's fair to say that Bakel is roughly Tartarus level strength. Bakel and the other spriggan minions would've been able to give a tough fight to Tartarus level FT mages, might win or not but the difference isn't much. Now Natsu sent Bakel flying but as seen above, he put a fair bit of effort into it compared to how easily Gildarts could send Tartarus Natsu flying.
Also, we see the Yakem afraid of Natsu and thus deciding to play dead which is also compared to Natsu's reaction after he saw Gildarts go at the beast that tried to eat him. Considering this, Silent Chapter Gildarts has already shown he is quite capable. In addition, he was able to mostly destroy the island when he went a bit overboard. We also know Gildarts can use crash to break magic itself and seeing the AoE of the island buster, it's fair to say he can indeed crash most of what Wahl throws at him except etherion. In addition, Gildarts is a huge tank. We also know that he has a lethal form of the spell he used to separate Natsu into numerous smaller bits in Tenrou.

With all this considered, even though Gildarts hasn't shown up in ages, I'd say he can still take this high diff mostly because of the nature of his magic. He should be able to keep up with Wahl, as well as negate most of his attacks with crash. Ultimately, he should be able to lethally disintegrate Wahl. I think Wahl would have him on the back foot for most of the fight, but considering crash is a pretty hax magic, I don't think Gildarts will lose here. There's the case of Wahl using etherion, but Gildarts can disintegrate his arm before he casts it. That's considering Wahl even has the time to do so. It takes a bit of time to prep it, and as seen when Wahl fought Laxus, Wahl only attempted it when Laxus was down and seemingly helpless to resist. I don't really see Gildarts being in a such a position that Wahl will have time to prep etherion.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I choose Gildarts. I always see a man with uncontrollable power as a monster. I base on two feats: first feat is surviving from Acnologia ("100 years" quest), and second one is Silent Chapter Gildarts.

GokuSSJG

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
sill Wahl for me. don't care for the hype or anything else until he appears and shows us what he can do.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
For Gildarts Clive vs Wahl Icht, there really isn't much to discuss here due to limited feats...
  • Gildarts > Wahl [Medium Difficulty]
Once again, there seems to be a double standard in this thread.

In the previous match-up, many believed that Gildarts would stomp Gray and even went as far as to use feats from the Silent Chapter + Tenrou Arc to prove it. Unless you're telling me Wahl is many times stronger than Gray if at all, then how does Gildarts even come close to losing this? Gray is easily on Wahl's level (Mid-Tier Spriggan) and even surpasses him if we include hype.

Not to mention, I remember many saying that Mard Geer is Spriggan Level. Not once did he make Natsu cower in fear. In fact, Base Natsu even landed solid hits on Mard Geer and pushed him to his limits. Meanwhile, Gildarts was pushed a few feet back without even trying and barely broke a sweat. Therefore, if we compare Mard Geer's and Gildarts' performance against Base Natsu, it is clear who is stronger.

Conclusion

So, if Gildarts didn't train, I would place the difficulty at High Difficulty. If he did, then it would probably be Low Difficulty. Hence, that is why I settled with Medium Difficulty in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.