Round of 16 - Gildarts vs Jellal | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Gildarts vs Jellal

Who is Ishgar's best?

• Gildarts

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Jellal

Votes: 22 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Gildarts Clive

Jellal Fernandes
[TD="auto;vertical-align: bottom;border-width: 0px;font-size: 0!important;"]-[/TD][TD="auto%;border-width: 0px;"][/TD]

Voting Rules:
  • This Battle is a 1 vs 1.
  • During Best of 16 stage, you'll be able to vote up to 24 hours after discussion ends.
  • You may vote for one character in this fight.
  • So you voted early and someone/something changed your mind? You can use the 'Change Vote' option to choose again.
Discussion ends: May 17th, 2017
Voting ends: May 18th, 2017

Jellal does not have access to Mystogan's equipment.

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This one could go both ways but I'd say Jellal would win in the end. He's got the better speed and that can help him when it comes to unleashing a barrage of attacks against Gildarts, and I think given the superior speed, big arsenal of spells and a few tactics he can use to defeat his opponent, he takes the cake here. He also has that shield spell he used against Acnologia to potentially block one of Gildarts' stronger attacks.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
IMO Jellyboy takes this.

Might change if someone convinces me otherwise. :p

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Going with Gildarts.

More intelligent/experienced, superior CQC, more durable and imo has more magic power.
Jellal has the edge in speed but not by much imo, he also has a good variety of spells but its not like variety makes a difference to Gildarts who isnt particularly weak to anything in Jellal's arsenal, plus he can shatter spells.

Jelly's strength lies in his big spells like Grand Chariot and Sema, but both are pretty slow and would probably just end up getting broken by Gildart's. I dont really see a way Jellal could get the better of him, keeping ahead with Meteor would prob be a good idea but with Gildart's AoE i dont see that strategy lasting long, and its not like Gildart's is slow either. Imo the fight ends with Gildarts slicing Jellal into a bunch of cubes.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yea Gildarts for me, he's a more rounded fighter. Jellal has 'versatility' but that doesn't really mean anything unless it can give some form of advantage. Gildarts doesn't have a weakness like that - you need to overpower him. That's not something Jellal can do imo, since he probably doesn't have the staying power to last in a drawn out battle with Gildy.

Am Shegar

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
After latest chapters I can see Jellal has slightly better chanses of victory. Close combat do not mean much when we are talking about mage battle because magic is about spells and not about punches. Gildarts can negatate sema ang GC for shure. Jellal can evade Gildarts punches with meteor. If Gildarts hit Jellal than Jellal is done. If Jellal can stunlock Gildarts than Gildarts will be hit by sema or GC. Both had fight with Acnologia. Gildarts lost his arm. While Jellals fight is not done Jellal could evade Achno long enough and even push dragon towards vortex. Now we got two fast spells from Jellal (thunderswords and pleyades) to stunlock Gildarts to cast GC or sema. Both can win this by the way. Before Acnologia fight I would voted Gildarts. May be I am based tho.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Jelly's strength lies in his big spells like Grand Chariot and Sema, but both are pretty slow and would probably just end up getting broken by Gildart's. I dont really see a way Jellal could get the better of him, keeping ahead with Meteor would prob be a good idea but with Gildart's AoE i dont see that strategy lasting long, and its not like Gildart's is slow either. Imo the fight ends with Gildarts slicing Jellal into a bunch of cubes.
We don't always have to look at the big spells Jellal has that could allow him to get an advantage in this fight, take Bind Snake as an example. If he uses that to bind Gildarts, Gildarts can't break it as his body is bound and it allows Jellal to hit him with the hardest spells he's got like Sema, Grand Chariot and even Altairis if he goes to end it with one shot.

Kay3795

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Jellal edges out with meteor arts. With the speed it offers, he'd avoid critical damage. With his versatility, he'd throw Gildarts off his game. Eventually, victory is his.

**Silver**

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Gildarts wins Gildarts was even able deal some damage against Nerfed/August....

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We don't always have to look at the big spells Jellal has that could allow him to get an advantage in this fight, take Bind Snake as an example. If he uses that to bind Gildarts, Gildarts can't break it as his body is bound and it allows Jellal to hit him with the hardest spells he's got like Sema, Grand Chariot and even Altairis if he goes to end it with one shot.
Jellal only used a bind snake when Erza let her guard down, she was kicking his ass before that, couldnt use it on Natsu to stop his rampage either. I have its likelihood of affecting even Tenrou Gildarts as pretty much zero. Gildarts cubing Jellal the moment the fight starts seems more likely to me(not that i think that would happen either).
But anyway, for me i just see Gildarts as the more powerful combatant, outclassing Jellal in pretty much every aspect with the exception of speed. Even ignoring Gildart's ability to smash his opponents magic i'd still say he comes out on top, but with it? Jellal doesnt stand much of a chance at winning imo. The guy would put up a good fight, deal some damage, maybe even get Gildarts to bust his arm with Absolute Heaven, but Gildarts would still take it in the end.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Going with Gildarts here, since Gildarts actually managed to catch August off guard and land hits on him with Crash, while Jellal and OS couldn't do that, add to it that Gildarts has more experience and his magic is good for countering huge spells like the ones Jellal uses, so Jellal will have to resort to CQC in which Gildarts is superior in.

Unnamed Namesake

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gildarts

He's much more powerful, he can take a lot more damage, and any caster magic Jellal tries to pull, Gildarts can Crash. Whereas Jellal is a fragile speedster. He has a lot of magical power and he's incredibly fast, one of the fastest in the series in fact, but out of all of the remaining participants of this tournament, he has the absolute worst durability. The guy almost died from getting hit by Neinhart. FUCKING NEINHART!

Daddy takes this one.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Going with Gildarts. As much as i love Jellal, he is not winning here.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Gildarts for me.

Who had better performance against August = who wins this match. Jellal with CS couldn't damage August. Gildarts with freaking Cana could.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Gildarts for me.

Who had better performance against August = who wins this match. Jellal with CS couldn't damage August. Gildarts with freaking Cana could.
To be fair i don't think Jellal's bad performance against August should be taken into consideration. He had no way to discover August's weakness, contrary to Gildarts who had Cana.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
:SOON:feelsbadman
Meh, legit tempted to fanboy here and pick Jellal from the get go :XD
But something tells me it isn't as simple as that. Jellal has the better feats this arc (the Acnologia stuff of late), though Gildarts performance against August (before Cana joined in) was quite commendable.
I'll hold out on a decision for now. Gearing more towards Gildarts at the moment but it won't be that easy to decide :facepalm

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
IMO Jellal's performance against Acnologia > Gildart's performance against August.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Jelly's strength lies in his big spells like Grand Chariot and Sema, but both are pretty slow and would probably just end up getting broken by Gildart's.
What about Pleaides and Kyuraishin? Considering he was able to catch someone of Acnologia's stature offguard for a few moments, I'd say Gildarts would have a hard time reacting to spells like that.
Also, Grand Chariot can be casted pretty quickly as shown in the Acnologia fight, I wouldn't exactly say it's a slow spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.