Round of 16 - Gildarts vs Jellal | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Gildarts vs Jellal

Who is Ishgar's best?

• Gildarts

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Jellal

Votes: 22 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven777

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
we don't know that since we didn't see the fight, they were already fighting him when the scene cut to them, & they were pretty damanged and hoteye was knocked out. august was fighting girldarts with a stick while talking about the parent & children relationship xD, hell he didn't even finish off cana, is cana better than jellal? august was reflecting every spell they were using at them. infact, the number was a disavantage.
I think it's unfair to judge them just because they fought the same enemie, ST and BP got defeated by bradman , yet sting alon hold his own for a while against the so called third strongest spriggan.
August wouldve finished off Cana, but Gildarts jumped in front of her and took the hit.
August was fighting Jellal and co with a stick too, and he seemed to be taking them far less seriously than Gildarts alone.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Not a great
I've got to ask; How do you come about such conclusion? For example, this one [Intellect - Gildarts >> Jellal]
Well Gildarts has feats of using his brain in battle, not something Jellal has ever shown.

LaGOAT

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
gildartz wins high-extreme diff. gildartz survived long than jellal even with a group of people helping him vs august

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
gildartz wins high-extreme diff. gildartz survived long than jellal even with a group of people helping him vs august
That is not a good point to be honest Jellal and CS all used Caster Magics on August which August copied and used their very magics against themselves.Gildarts on the other hand had Holder type Mage Cana to figure out August's weakness.

LaGOAT

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is not a good point to be honest Jellal and CS all used Caster Magics on August which August copied and used their very magics against themselves.Gildarts on the other hand had Holder type Mage Cana to figure out August's weakness.
gildartz shown to blitz august (if it wasnt for his hax magic) jellal got trashed. plus he saw gildartz tank his attacks be4 figuring out his ""weakness''

Am Shegar

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I want to remind everyone that we do not know how long Jellal + OS vs August lasted. If Jellal vs August lasted 5 hours and Gildarts vs August 1 hour than Jellal did better job. But we just do not know that to jump to any conclusion. And Acnologia was serious vs Jellal. In his Dragon form it is clear that Acnologia was irritated and watned to end fight as fast as possible. So Jellal did a better job vs Achno evading attacks. But I agree Gildarts can shatter most of Jellal spells so to acheve victory Jellal must stun him first.

Tirl

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I've got to ask; How do you come about such conclusion? For example, this one [Intellect - Gildarts >> Jellal]
Gildarts is adult man with much more knowledge about fights and even life.
Maybe Jellal can math high level equation but in battle he is not comparable to Gildarts.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wait.... doesn't Gildarts just crash all of Jellal's ranged spells?
Unless Jellal has displayed some insane physical CQC skills while I was away, Gildarts takes this.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Wait.... doesn't Gildarts just crash all of Jellal's ranged spells?
Unless Jellal has displayed some insane physical CQC skills while I was away, Gildarts takes this.
well, he pushed back Dragon Acnologia easily so...

Biri Biri

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
IMO Jellal's performance against Acnologia > Gildart's performance against August.
How so? Jellal's display against Acnologia was hardly impressive. Acnologia is the kind of guy who desires a challenge where he can go all out.

Throughout their exchange, we could tell from Acnologia's cool indifference and lackadasical attempt that he was visibly toying with Jellal.

Acnologia weathered an early storm as Jellal threw the kitchen sink at him, and emerged unscathed. Compare it to his response in his fight with Irene. He has the look of concern, followed by visible excitement and enthusiam, and praise for Irene. He was genuinely stunned towards the end of their fight, and even asked Irene for her name. Yes, she wasn't able to hurt him, but she captured Acnologia's interest and left him in curiosity.

Acnologia's blatant apathy to Jellal, in contrast to Irene and other dragon slayers, does not really make a strong case.

Jellal has a greater number and variety of spells in his arsenal. But this is not a contest of quantity. Gildarts is capable of matching anything Jellal can muster. And a bit more.

August soloed Crime Sorciere, including Jellal without them even able to scratch him. He has Jellal completely at his mercy.

While Gildarts could actually outmaneuver August, and land an attack on him.

Jellal is powerful no doubt. But Gildarts is in a league above.

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Jellal casted a barrier that fended off Acnologia's attack while Gildarts endured Acnologia's attack and made it alive.
Gildarts was taking August's attack with little damage while Jellal actually lost against and he couldn't stand up again on his feat.

I'd say Jellal is smarter than Gildarts but Gildarts has superior defense and also has a hax magic that can crash others magic

Gildarts win mid diff

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well, he pushed back Dragon Acnologia easily so...
He did?
What I saw from this chapter was he tried pushing Acno back and Acno just grabbed him and started breaking his bones lol......
If he did something in an earlier chapter that I've missed, feel free to correct.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
He did?
What I saw from this chapter was he tried pushing Acno back and Acno just grabbed him and started breaking his bones lol......
If he did something in an earlier chapter that I've missed, feel free to correct.
yep.

he managed to push him a little and blitz him.

CaptainTorch

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Awww, two of my favourites are duking it out :(
But anyways, Gildarts definetly takes it. For a long time, Jellal was considered even weaker than Laxus during this arc. And then Jellal showcased better feats against Acno.
I do agree that Jellal blitzing Acno for a bit was impressive. Definetly shows that Jellal has very impresive speed, and is actually on Laxus's level. But is he on Gildart's level? No. Acnologia wasn't even trying. He had a bored expression during their "battle". All he did was dodge Jellal. Jellal didn't even scratch him.
We'll see of course, if Jellal shows that he's capable of actually damaging Acno in the next few chapters, I'm gonna change my vote. But currently Gildarts wins this high diff.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Awww, two of my favourites are duking it out :(
But anyways, Gildarts definetly takes it. For a long time, Jellal was considered even weaker than Laxus during this arc. And then Jellal showcased better feats against Acno.
I do agree that Jellal blitzing Acno for a bit was impressive. Definetly shows that Jellal has very impresive speed, and is actually on Laxus's level. But is he on Gildart's level? No. Acnologia wasn't even trying. He had a bored expression during their "battle". All he did was dodge Jellal. Jellal didn't even scratch him.
We'll see of course, if Jellal shows that he's capable of actually damaging Acno in the next few chapters, I'm gonna change my vote. But currently Gildarts wins this high diff.
he is considered to be above Laxus, even in the past tourney when he had little to no feats.

but Gildarts is always considered to be in the league of his own.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Jellal casted a barrier that fended off Acnologia's attack while Gildarts endured Acnologia's attack and made it alive.
Gildarts was taking August's attack with little damage while Jellal actually lost against and he couldn't stand up again on his feat.

I'd say Jellal is smarter than Gildarts but Gildarts has superior defense and also has a hax magic that can crash others magic

Gildarts win mid diff
Gildarts got his organs and limbs ripped by Acnologia in an instant. He didn't even realize what hit him. His own words.
August was actually going all out with spells against CS, he was just messing around with Gildarts.
Gildarts's chest got pierced by August's staff, more serious than any injury Jellal took. He sure had trouble against August's magic waves for someone who supposedly can crash others magic without any limit.

Acnologia is resorting to eating Jellal's magic power and meteor before he can catch him. People actually comparing it to Gildarts who was swatted before he knew what happened.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Jellal's feats against Acno are pretty impressive to look at, and do portray a certain level of power, but its pretty clear(to me at least) that Acno isnt trying. I mean August was effortlessly mopping the floor with Jelly, and i think we all know that if August can do that, Acno can do it much better, he is just as immune to magic as August is after all.

Oh and Acno eating Jellal's magic doesnt mean anything beyond confirming that Acno enjoys eating, unless we're trying to say that the likes of friggin Jupiter are an actual threat to him

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Jellal's feats against Acno are pretty impressive to look at, and do portray a certain level of power, but its pretty clear(to me at least) that Acno isnt trying. I mean August was effortlessly mopping the floor with Jelly, and i think we all know that if August can do that, Acno can do it much better, he is just as immune to magic as August is after all.

Oh and Acno eating Jellal's magic doesnt mean anything beyond confirming that Acno enjoys eating, unless we're trying to say that the likes of friggin Jupiter are an actual threat to him
Sure, Acnologia isn't trying like it is Igneel, but he isn't in the state he was in Tenrou Island. Erza and others already stated he was on another league than before.
Gildarts shouldn't be getting credit for being wrecked off panel against Acnologia or going against August who hardly did anything other than talking about why he wasn't loved.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sure, Acnologia isn't trying like it is Igneel, but he isn't in the state he was in Tenrou Island. Erza and others already stated he was on another league than before.
Gildarts shouldn't be getting credit for being wrecked off panel against Acnologia or going against August who hardly did anything other than talking about why he wasn't loved.
I agree about the not getting credit for getting off paneled by Acno. But his performance against August was pretty good, cubing August in the first few seconds of the fight was damn impressive. August also seemed to take Gildarts alone a lot more seriously than he did CS, he was at the very least shocked by Gildarts and fairly impressed by his entrance(the church busting).

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I agree about the not getting credit for getting off paneled by Acno. But his performance against August was pretty good, cubing August in the first few seconds of the fight was damn impressive. August also seemed to take Gildarts alone a lot more seriously than he did CS, he was at the very least shocked by Gildarts and fairly impressed by his entrance(the church busting).
The beginning of their fight looked like an impressive start, but Gildarts never managed to replicate that. He was getting thrown around and beaten by August. It is also irrelevant when comparing the two. Jellal doesn't have any panels to compare with, to say that Gildarts did better than Jellal is an argument from ignorance. We can assume that Jellal used meteor, but even that doesn't have any proof.
We know the end result, which would be no different for Gildarts, plus the hole in his chest, even though he knew August's weakness. We also know that August never really used any notable magic like mind reading etc. until meteor. Did he even cast anything other than those nameless magic bursts? It was filled with plot induced stupidity.
August wasn't anymore impressed than he was with Midnight's magic which he called peculiar. He defined Gildarts as "another one who uses funny magic".

Except that group of people did nothing but add to the vast arsenal of August, which he was actively using against them unlike the p.i.s show that was Gildarts vs August.

Last edited:

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The beginning of their fight looked like an impressive start, but Gildarts never managed to replicate that. He was getting thrown around and beaten by August. It is also irrelevant when comparing the two. Jellal doesn't have any panels to compare with, to say that Gildarts did better than Jellal is an argument from ignorance. We can assume that Jellal used meteor, but even that doesn't have any proof.
We know the end result, which would be no different for Gildarts, plus the hole in his chest, even though he knew August's weakness. We also know that August never really used any notable magic like mind reading etc. until meteor. Did he even cast anything other than those nameless magic bursts?
August wasn't anymore impressed than he was with Midnight's magic which he called peculiar. He defined Gildarts as "another one who uses funny magic".
Not being able to replicate it doesnt mean that achieving it wasnt impressive, it was certainly better than all of CS combined were able to accomplish. August was visibly astonished at Gildart's power, while he was mostly indifferent to Midnights attempt. Besides, he did kinda replicate it when he nailed August with Absolute Heaven.
August mainly used nameless blasts on Gildarts, but they were still a lot more impressive than just smacking him with his staff like he did to most of CS. Mind Reading and other spells used on CS were just August using their magic against them, similar to how he used Gildarts magic against him.
Sure we dont really know how well Jellal did against August, but we do know he went all out and was crushed. Gildarts on the other hand was never actually defeated or even really approaching his limit, he was taking all of August's attacks in stride(bar Ars Magia).

But anyway, while i understand that Jellal's performance against August was questionable, i think its perfectly reasonable for people to be more impressed by what Gildart's actually showed, than what Jellal didnt, especially when we saw the end result of both fights.
For the end of Jellal's fight we see him on the ground under August's boot, unable to stand despite the strong emotions going through his head(unusual for a FT character not to get up).
While for the end of Gildarts fight we have Gildarts still standing tall, with August trying to unleash a massive country demolishing spell.
Quite a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.