Round of 16 - Gildarts vs Jellal | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Gildarts vs Jellal

Who is Ishgar's best?

• Gildarts

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Jellal

Votes: 22 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGOAT

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
@EmberSpirit except that gildartz survived. he probably try to oneshot gildartz like he did GS (just speculation) and live. back in tenrou island arc. acno was playing with FT and gildartz even said that. that like saying tenrou makarov>hades or august because he held his own vs acnologia. jellal feats vs acno is impressive but acno wasnt remotely serious.

**Silver**

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
@EmberSpirit except that gildartz survived. he probably try to oneshot gildartz like he did GS (just speculation) and live. back in tenrou island arc. acno was playing with FT and gildartz even said that. that like saying tenrou makarov>hades or august because he held his own vs acnologia. jellal feats vs acno is impressive but acno wasnt remotely serious.
Gildarts survived against Acnologia because the story demanded it... Gildarts injuries was way worse than God Serenas

LaGOAT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gildarts survived against Acnologia because the story demanded it... Gildarts injuries was way worse than God Serenas
but he blitzes gildartz in his dragon form not his human form like GS :derp

Xaos sama

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
erza stated that current acno is way stronger than when he was in tenrou... beside, how can he play when he wants to kill every dragonslayer?

Imo, jellal's speed can play a big role in the fight, since august easily blitzed him in meteor with cana at the same time
dunno how does gildarts's crush work, but if jellal kept blitzing him with Kyūraishin he might've the edge.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Gildarts was slashed from the left to right side of his body.On the other hand God Serena's entire right abdomen was blown away.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Not really sure who to vote for tbh, people are making some excellent points.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jellal's speed is pointless here because even August used Meteor and still could not beat Gildartz with it.
When August used Meteor he effortlessly blitzed Gildarts and Cana, but then exited it immediately.
So you can't really say that Meteor August couldn't beat Gildarts. If I'm being really honest, I think an August that went all-out, or one that even just used named spells, would decimate Gildarts.

To be clear, I'm not trying to discredit Gildarts here, all-out/using named spells August would decimate anyone bar Zeref/Irene/Acno. But this is exactly why I don't think it's fair to say Meteor August couldn't beat Gildarts, since he has the feats showing Gildarts couldn't even react to him.

Also, you say that Jellal's speed is pointless, but it's the answer to your earlier point:
Gildartz could probably just turn Jellal into blocks.

Gildartz accomplished that feat against August... there's no reason why he can't do the same to Jellal.
Jellal's speed is exactly what would help him avoid being cubed.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not really sure who to vote for tbh, people are making some excellent points.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

When August used Meteor he effortlessly blitzed Gildarts and Cana, but then exited it immediately.
So you can't really say that Meteor August couldn't beat Gildarts. If I'm being really honest, I think an August that went all-out, or one that even just used named spells, would decimate Gildarts.

To be clear, I'm not trying to discredit Gildarts here, all-out/using named spells August would decimate anyone bar Zeref/Irene/Acno. But this is exactly why I don't think it's fair to say Meteor August couldn't beat Gildarts, since he has the feats showing Gildarts couldn't even react to him.

Also, you say that Jellal's speed is pointless, but it's the answer to your earlier point:

Jellal's speed is exactly what would help him avoid being cubed.

Well, Meteor alone couldn't beat Gildartz.

Jellal could probably prolong the fight to make it last longer, but Meteor still won't be the deciding factor to his victory.

And once Jellal deactivates Meteor to use a high-damaging spell, that's when he is vulnerable to being cubed by Gildartz. And I doubt Jellal would have much time to react considering Gildartz is faster than August.

Jellal's speed would still be pointless here in terms of deciding the winner of the match since Gildartz can easily tank Meteor from August.

That means Gildartz should have no problem tanking Meteor from Jellal, which would naturally hand the victory over the Gildartz.

Not to mention, Jellal's high-tier spells have always had long casting times since they need to be charged up.

Am Shegar

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Jellal can cast spells and move in meteor. Example: GC vs Natsu, GC vs Jura, Abyss Break. All spells in air.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
erza stated that current acno is way stronger than when he was in tenrou... beside, how can he play when he wants to kill every dragonslayer?

Imo, jellal's speed can play a big role in the fight, since august easily blitzed him in meteor with cana at the same time
dunno how does gildarts's crush work, but if jellal kept blitzing him with Kyūraishin he might've the edge.

Acnologia may have gotten stronger since Tenrou, but that would also be true for Jellal. It's not like this is Pre-TS Jellal. This is Jellal at his peak.

It evens out in the end.

FT members still achieved the same feat when they were on Tenrou Island because they were a weaker version of themselves when they fought Acnologia.

We know for a fact that Acnologia can instantly kill anybody he wants, if he's not fooling around.

He casually massacred God Serena in his human form. That goes for Gildartz and Laxus too, not just Jellal.

Nobody is a match for Acnologia when he is serious, which is why it's pointless to use Jellal's feats.

We know for a fact that Jellal does not stand chance against Acnologia, especially after the recent chapter.

Gryffindor

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Both Jellal’s and Gildarts’ major fights this arc have come against opponents that basically make them useless, one because he’s the strongest in the series and eats magic, the other because he nullifies and copies it. Jellal looked more impressive doing nothing than Gildarts did doing nothing(not to mention the other favorable circumstances he had in his favor) imo.

Comparison of Performance vs. August
1) Gildarts landed hits on August while Jellal didn’t.

Gildarts landed 2 hits total. One with Disassembly and the other using his arm as holder magic(not going to explain this one for obvious reasons). Jellal is unknown if he got hits in.

Gildarts landing Disassembly is no different than Midnight landing Spiral Pain. They both used their magic on August and had it copied and nullified immediately. August even gave the same comment about them using peculiar magic in both instances. What is so different about Gildarts landing a hit compared to Midnight?
Is it because he caught August off-guard? Heck, Midnight just went and did it straight up in his face.
It was impressive but August stayed in the same spot. When August actually used speed, Gildarts got blitzed. Same would happen to Jellal too.

2) Gildarts tanked/endured August’s attacks while Jellal was floored.

August landed 5 hits total on Gildarts.
2 punches, a hit while using Meteor or whatever, impaling him with a staff, and a nameless staff blast. Cana was hit by 2 of these(she was caught in the explosion from the blast), is this really something to write home about? We don't even know how much was used to down Jellal.
No named attacks except one which would’ve obliterated everyone(Ars Magia).
Jellal was defeated by August, an August who followed through and finished the fight. Gildarts would end up in the same position had August not lost his mind and actually finished the fight. So I’m not understanding users who say Jellal lost but Gildarts didn’t, especially since Gildarts had lost his only means of hurting him with his last attack.

3) Gildarts damaged August
Well yeah…that happens when you take an attack right in the face and can’t nullify it like you normally do.

4) Gildarts did better with less help
Add Gildarts into the fight with CS and August still wins. No holder mage to help figure out his weakness.

So I don’t see much difference in their fights. Gildarts just had his on-panel. Take Cana out and Gildarts ends up just like Jellal. He doesn’t figure out his weakness and August doesn’t find out about Cana-Gildarts being daughter and father thus not getting distracted with “why was the emperor’s child not loved” mumbo jumbo.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gildarts is superior physically , but Jellal doesn’t have to engage Gildarts. He can always fly up in the sky and start spamming, no?

Can Gildarts crash his spells? Sure, but Jellal’s spells hit several points at the same time. Take Pleiades for example, the 6 stars don’t come straight at you in a straight line, Gildarts would have to react to one before crashing, leaving him vulnerable to the other stars and any follow-up attack.
From what I remember, Gildarts crashes what's directly being aimed at him, and the opponent is using a direct attack, not an attack that hits from different directions, right? Correct if wrong.
Grand Chariot is 7 beams, can Gildarts crash all 7 at once or crash a few and get hit by the others?

I’d assume the same sequence of spells used against Acno would be troublesome for Gildarts as he would have to attempt to crash spells that have, 6,9,and 7 different points of attack in quick succession. Could leave him vulnerable to an even bigger tech.

If it turns into an actual fistfight, then Gildarts wins but who gets to dictate terms?
So yeah, not sure yet who to vote for.

Last edited:

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jellal can cast spells and move in meteor. Example: GC vs Natsu, GC vs Jura, Abyss Break. All spells in air.

Floating up in the sky wouldn't necessarily help Jellal here.

Gildartz can fall from the sky in a matter of seconds.

Gildartz should have no problem jumping up and cubing Jellal if he tried to cast a spell in mid-flight.

Kardia Cathedral is the tallest building in Magnolia, and August was standing on top of it.

If Gildartz could intercept August by jumping that high, Jellal's ability to cast spells while flying would still be useless.

Laxus chan-yo

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Nothing Jellal can do can hurt Gildarts much. He counters everything with Crash. Mid to high diff for the old bastard. Jellal is faster but that is it. Gildarts has far more advantages.

LaGOAT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing Jellal can do can hurt Gildarts much. He counters everything with Crash. Mid to high diff for the old bastard. Jellal is faster but that is it. Gildarts has far more advantages.
lol its rare that u come out and debate what u mysotgan now? coming and going as u please :cheez

anyways i agree i think its gonna be at least a high diff for gildartz. jellal might have speed but gildartz clearly outclass him in every other category

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gildarts definitely wins this. No point in arguing about that.

However, I don't think it's as simple as Gildarts turning Jellal into cubes... First of all, when has disassembly magic worked on a fast, moving character? Never. In Tenrou Island, Natsu was slow to react. And in this arc, August was standing still. Look closely at the panels below and imagine it animated. Gildarts moves in a clockwise direction around August. That's no different from moving around a punching bag. Hardly enough evidence for speed feats...

Secondly, I don't think it's as simple (again) as Gildarts crashing all of Jellal's spells... That would require an extremely fast reaction time. Plus, Gildarts would need to crash multiple targets at once (in rapid succession). Just look at Pleiades and Kyūraishin. Even Acnologia had to dodge it (not because it would critically hurt him but because he didn't have enough time to block it). At best, Gildarts would do the same thing (provided he is fast enough).

Last but not least, Jellal's spells don't have a long casting time (except for Sema which Gildarts wouldn't be able to crash). The reason why Grand Chariot seemed long in Neinhart's fight is because of Kagura's interference. Without it, the spell only takes one panel or less to cast.

Anyways, to conclude my post, I'm going to say right off the bat that it isn't necessarily accurate to compare Jellal's feats against August with Gildarts' feats against August. One was off-paneled and the other was drawn out. The way I'd approach this match is by powerscaling. And Gildarts wouldn't win with anything less than High Difficulty.

After reading all the comments, I would like to point out @Gryffindor's post. It was very detailed and in my opinion, a good evaluation of this fight.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
depends on how powerful GC Jellal is casting.

his GC on Neinhart certainly looks way more powerful than against Acnologia.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I want to remind everyone that we do not know how long Jellal + OS vs August lasted. If Jellal vs August lasted 5 hours and Gildarts vs August 1 hour than Jellal did better job. But we just do not know that to jump to any conclusion. And Acnologia was serious vs Jellal. In his Dragon form it is clear that Acnologia was irritated and watned to end fight as fast as possible. So Jellal did a better job vs Achno evading attacks. But I agree Gildarts can shatter most of Jellal spells so to acheve victory Jellal must stun him first.
Doesn't look like it lasted that long, given how impressed Jellal was at August beating them all. Would he be this impressed losing after over an hour of fighting? And even then, Jellal didn't do a better job as he sounded like his team couldn't even land a single hit on August, whereas Gildarts was able to.

Adn from what we've seen, Acnologia isn't as serious about fighting Jellal; he seemed to be more serious fighting Serena and Gildarts.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why?? Gildarts will crash Sema easily. Even Erza destroyed much bigger Sema.
Well, Erza's feat was just plain ridiculous. I mean she went from having most of her bones broken to destroying Irene's top spell with just one slash... But that topic can be saved for another time.

The reason why I don't think Gildarts can crash Sema is because the size of his 'crash' pales in comparison to a full-blown meteor. You can disagree with me on this and I'll admit I don't have much evidence to back up my claim here.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
This might legit be the saddest post I've ever made on MH :biblethump:waah:emocat
So after reading several of the posts here, and a bit of thinking on my part:pout I've come to a decision.
Gildarts...wins :-_-
I'm sorry Jellal :feelsbadman

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm still not sold on Gildarts being a lock to win on this won like some people have said. Jellal's speed and versatility are two of his greatest assets in this fight and imo are key to his victory. While using Meteor, he can essentially stun/shock Gildarts with a flurry of spells like he did to Acnologia and while Gildarts is taken back by that he can hammer him with a Grand Chariot. If he uses Sema on Gildarts, Gildarts can probably use Crash on it to break it up but I doubt he can do the same with Grand Chariot as it is in 7 parts and at the least, most of it will hit. If Jellal rinse and repeated this a few times as well as using that shield spell to block an attack from Gildarts if he can't avoid one with his speed, should be able to come close to taking him down just from that.

I still think that, if worst came to work, he could blitz Gildarts with his speed, bind snake him and then Sema while Gildarts is bound and unable to counter to finish the job. Either way, it's a high difficulty fight but I see Jellal winning with his speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.