Round of 16 - Gildarts vs Jellal | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Gildarts vs Jellal

Who is Ishgar's best?

• Gildarts

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Jellal

Votes: 22 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgastthemage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Jellal, last year´s first runner-up, is in one heck of a bad matchup, and so early on in the tournament to boot. Gildarts does crash his spells and bests him in a physical bout.

Jellal should have gotten a better draw seeing as how he came out first in his group. He should have gotten a fourth placer from some other group.

This contest is rigged!!!!!!:teehee:teehee:teehee

**Silver**

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Jellal, last year´s first runner-up, is in one heck of a bad matchup, and so early on in the tournament to boot. Gildarts does crash his spells and bests him in a physical bout.

Jellal should have gotten a better draw seeing as how he came out first in his group. He should have gotten a fourth placer from some other group.

This contest is rigged!!!!!!:teehee:teehee:teehee
Zeref/Natsu/August---> everyone else the power difference is colossal and (Zeref.August and Natsu) needs to be removed from the tournament:m3j:m3j:m3j

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Jellal facing Acnologia gives him feats :derp. Gildarts is aight to me, unbias he wins but it'll be a lot closer than people think... give me Jellal of the highest of difficulties.

Seven777

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, Erza's feat was just plain ridiculous. I mean she went from having most of her bones broken to destroying Irene's top spell with just one slash... But that topic can be saved for another time.

The reason why I don't think Gildarts can crash Sema is because the size of his 'crash' pales in comparison to a full-blown meteor. You can disagree with me on this and I'll admit I don't have much evidence to back up my claim here.
Nah man, Crash's size easily covers a Meteor, there is a reason why Gildarts is known as a mountain buster
And that was Gildarts when he was still all bandanged up from his fight with Acno.
I'm still not sold on Gildarts being a lock to win on this won like some people have said. Jellal's speed and versatility are two of his greatest assets in this fight and imo are key to his victory. While using Meteor, he can essentially stun/shock Gildarts with a flurry of spells like he did to Acnologia and while Gildarts is taken back by that he can hammer him with a Grand Chariot. If he uses Sema on Gildarts, Gildarts can probably use Crash on it to break it up but I doubt he can do the same with Grand Chariot as it is in 7 parts and at the least, most of it will hit. If Jellal rinse and repeated this a few times as well as using that shield spell to block an attack from Gildarts if he can't avoid one with his speed, should be able to come close to taking him down just from that.

I still think that, if worst came to work, he could blitz Gildarts with his speed, bind snake him and then Sema while Gildarts is bound and unable to counter to finish the job. Either way, it's a high difficulty fight but I see Jellal winning with his speed.
Gildarts was able to blitz August man, its not like he's some slowpoke. Is Jellal faster? Probably, but i highly doubt he's gonna be too fast for Gildarts to hit. In fact i'd wager Gildarts could probably pull a "Jura vs Laxus" and smash Jellal into the ground when he flies in for the attack.

Like i said before, Jellal couldnt even use a Bind Snake on Natsu to stop him from busting up his tower, using it mid-combat is probably impossible. And even if Jellal could use a Bind Snake mid combat, Gildarts would just break it, he can use Crash with any part of his body, thats why when he trips over villages get destroyed, and why Magnolia had to get reconstructed to let Gildarts through.

The amount of beams Grand Chariot casts shouldnt make a difference, Gildarts doesnt crush each bit of magic individually, he just crushes the general area, as we saw when he simultaneously destroyed Purgatory Dragons Blazing Hell, Neptune Dragon's Water Array and Storm Dragons Song.
That aside, Grand Chariot is a pretty slow spell, Jellal has to say that Incantation "be judged by the stars" or whatever, so even if Gildarts couldnt crush all 7 beams, he'd still be able to interrupt the incantation pretty easily like Neinhart did, just throw out a much faster spell like All Crush.

Gildarts just seems like a bad match up for a long range fighter like Jellal.

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gild mid diff.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah man, Crash's size easily covers a Meteor, there is a reason why Gildarts is known as a mountain buster
And that was Gildarts when he was still all bandanged up from his fight with Acno.
Oh. I was talking more about this kind of crash where he doesn't touch the object (like against Bluenote and August).

The one you posted was Gildarts imbuing crash magic into his hands and punching the ground, causing a shockwave. I will concede here. I have no doubts that would shatter the meteor.

Gildarts was able to blitz August man, its not like he's some slowpoke. Is Jellal faster? Probably, but i highly doubt he's gonna be too fast for Gildarts to hit. In fact i'd wager Gildarts could probably pull a "Jura vs Laxus" and smash Jellal into the ground when he flies in for the attack.

Like i said before, Jellal couldnt even use a Bind Snake on Natsu to stop him from busting up his tower, using it mid-combat is probably impossible. And even if Jellal could use a Bind Snake mid combat, Gildarts would just break it, he can use Crash with any part of his body, thats why when he trips over villages get destroyed, and why Magnolia had to get reconstructed to let Gildarts through.

The amount of beams Grand Chariot casts shouldnt make a difference, Gildarts doesnt crush each bit of magic individually, he just crushes the general area, as we saw when he simultaneously destroyed Purgatory Dragons Blazing Hell, Neptune Dragon's Water Array and Storm Dragons Song.
That aside, Grand Chariot is a pretty slow spell, Jellal has to say that Incantation "be judged by the stars" or whatever, so even if Gildarts couldnt crush all 7 beams, he'd still be able to interrupt the incantation pretty easily like Neinhart did, just throw out a much faster spell like All Crush.

Gildarts just seems like a bad match up for a long range fighter like Jellal.
I know this wasn't directed towards me but I have to disagree here.

Gildarts never blitzed August. In fact, August was the one that blitzed him once he used "Meteor". Gildarts is very much average when it comes to speed. Also, a replay of the "Jura vs Laxus" fight is highly unlikely. Keep in mind that Laxus was many times slower and even did a frontal assault.

Fair enough. The amount of beams doesn't make a difference. However, what does make a difference is the direction, spacing, and location of the spell. Grand Chariot is an aerial attack, so it happens right above him. I fail to see how Gildarts can crash that without crashing himself upon impact (let alone react to it).

I think the phrase he says before casting Grand Chariot is just his way of demanding justice. It isn't necessary.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Oh. I was talking more about this kind of crash where he doesn't touch the object (like against Bluenote and August).

The one you posted was Gildarts imbuing crash magic into his hands and punching the ground, causing a shockwave. I will concede here. I have no doubts that would shatter the meteor.

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I have to disagree here.

Gildarts never blitzed August. In fact, August was the one that blitzed him once he used "Meteor". Gildarts is very much average when it comes to speed. Also, a replay of the "Jura vs Laxus" fight is highly unlikely. Keep in mind that Laxus was many times slower and even did a frontal assault.

Fair enough. The amount of beams doesn't make a difference. However, what does make a difference is the direction, spacing, and location of the spell. Grand Chariot is an aerial attack, so it happens right above him. I fail to see how Gildarts can crash that without crashing himself upon impact (let alone react to it).

I think the phrase he says before casting Grand Chariot is just his way of demanding justice. It isn't necessary.

Sure, Meteor August blitzed Gildarts, and rather easily too, there is no denying that, however Gildarts did blitz base August
The man is fast enough to leave afterimages against an opponent like August, Gildarts is definitely one of the speedier characters in the manga, maybe not as fast as Jellal, but he isnt too far off.
Laxus wasnt many times slower than Jura.
Jellal not attacking Gildarts head on with Meteor means he's barely gonna do any damage to him, clipping Gildarts on the side like he did to Jura isnt gonna cut it. Anyway, my point is that imo Gildarts speed is at a level where he can still hit Jellal fine, despite being slower overall. Like Laxus vs Jura, or even Jellal vs Jura.

I dont get it, are you saying Gildarts cant Crash upwards? Gildarts Crashing Grand Chariot wouldnt be any different from Jura blocking it with Rock Mountain.

Incantation was necessary against every opponent Jellal has fought except than Natsu, even Acnologia. i can only assume that the Grand Chariot used against Natsu was a weaker version that didnt require an incantation, that or Mashima just made up the incantation later. But regardless, Grand Chariot is a spell slow enough for Neinhart to be able to summon Simon first, despite casting the spell after Jellal had started, Gildarts should easily be able to do the same with something like All Crush.

Darkrai

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
It is a tough fight, including 2 strong character of series.
I will choose Jellal, why?

- Jellal can use wide variely of magic, compared to Gildarts only magic/spell crash.
- Jellal is fast [fast enough not even Acnologia can catch him in huge dragon form, until Jellal attacked him head on to push him to timelapse].
- He is fast enough to dodge enemy's attack & cast magic 1 after other making enemies mostly immpossible to defend.
- Jellal can immobalize enemy using bind snake & use deadly spells even greater than Sema, like Altaris[death], Telekinesis[instant death of enemy], Abyss Break [why Jellal haven't used these spells in current arcs? no idea, maybe Hiro don't want to kill enemy]

People comparing fight with August, Just for info, if you dissagree please check the manga again.
August Vs Jellal : August reflected all Jellals magic against him using Reflector spell, Jellal should't have used any powerful spells to avoid damage to members of CS.
August Vs Gildarts : Almost from the battle's start, August threats Gildarts that he will kill Cana, so Gildarts raged [POF in FT], if Cana was not there Gildars would have been crushed for sure.

Basically you are comparing Raged Gildarts[POF] vs unraged Jellal[maybe who cant use powerful spells to avoid damage to members of CS.] here

Acnologia Vs Jellal : I know Jellal is no match for Acnologia, Acnologia is playing aroung with Jellal, I want to see Jellal's fight as serious as he one-shotted Nienhart.

I am sad that 1 of the powerful wizard is gonna eliminated from the tournament at the very beginning.

Gildarts can crash material/physical things/spells, i doubt if he can crash non-material spells like Altaris/Telekinesis/Bind Snake etc..

Last edited:

Biri Biri

Reaction score
Country
Joker
It is a tough fight, including 2 strong character of series.
I will choose Jellal, why?

- Jellal can use wide variely of magic, compared to Gildarts only magic/spell crash.
- Jellal is fast [fast enough not even Acnologia can catch him in huge dragon form, until Jellal attacked him head on to push him to timelapse].
- He is fast enough to dodge enemy's attack & cast magic 1 after other making enemies mostly immpossible to defend.
- Jellal can immobalize enemy using bind snake & use deadly spells even greater than Sema, like Altaris[death], Telekinesis[instant death of enemy], Abyss Break [why Jellal haven't used these spells in current arcs? no idea, maybe Hiro don't want to kill enemy]

People comparing fight with August, Just for info, if you dissagree please check the manga again.
August Vs Jellal : August reflected all Jellals magic against him using Reflector spell, Jellal should't have used any powerful spells to avoid damage to members of CS.
August Vs Gildarts : Almost from the battle's start, August threats Gildarts that he will kill Cana, so Gildarts raged [POF in FT], if Cana was not there Gildars would have been crushed for sure.

Basically you are comparing Raged Gildarts[POF] vs unraged Jellal[maybe who cant use powerful spells to avoid damage to members of CS.] here

Acnologia Vs Jellal : I know Jellal is no match for Acnologia, Acnologia is playing aroung with Jellal, I want to see Jellal's fight as serious as he one-shotted Nienhart.

I am sad that 1 of the powerful wizard is gonna eliminated from the tournament at the very beginning.
Jellal having a variety of spells in his arsenal is hardly going to be a game changer here. It is not about counting the things he can do. But doing the things that actually count. Furthermore, Gildarts is hardly a one-trick pony who relies on Crash like some are claiming. He has shown to utilise Crash in various, flexible ways to gain the upperhand in his fights.

It can be employed defensively to shatter spells or nullify the effects of incoming attacks, rendering them useless.

Increasing his agility by propelling and thrusting him towards a direction.

Offensively it is devastating enough to split the earth and alter landscape.

And launched his foe into the stratosphere after visibly dispersing the clouds.

The effects of Crash can be manifested on different parts of Gildarts' body. In addition, it can also be executed without Gildarts touching his target.

Bind Snake was only ever use by Jellal back in Tower of Heaven, when he tricked Erza who has completely let her guard down, after he appealed to her emotions.

Can't believe this is even used as a legit argument. Clutching at straws, no?

As for Jellal mitigating his attacks against his fight with August, it is speculation at best. Jellal not going all out to prevent friendly fire with his present guild mates around, whom it was never shown he has a great bond with. While Gildarts is fighting beside his own daughter? Surely we can't make this double standards up?

Jellal is formidable, and I agree when he is feeling motivated, many characters will stand little chance against him. However, Gildarts does not belong in this group of characters. He has, in his benefit, displayed incredible feats on a consistent basis. And the consistency he has portrayed separates him from the rest, including Jellal.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure, Meteor August blitzed Gildarts, and rather easily too, there is no denying that, however Gildarts did blitz base August
The man is fast enough to leave afterimages against an opponent like August, Gildarts is definitely one of the speedier characters in the manga, maybe not as fast as Jellal, but he isnt too far off.
Laxus wasnt many times slower than Jura.
Jellal not attacking Gildarts head on with Meteor means he's barely gonna do any damage to him, clipping Gildarts on the side like he did to Jura isnt gonna cut it. Anyway, my point is that imo Gildarts speed is at a level where he can still hit Jellal fine, despite being slower overall. Like Laxus vs Jura, or even Jellal vs Jura.

I dont get it, are you saying Gildarts cant Crash upwards? Gildarts Crashing Grand Chariot wouldnt be any different from Jura blocking it with Rock Mountain.

Incantation was necessary against every opponent Jellal has fought except than Natsu, even Acnologia. i can only assume that the Grand Chariot used against Natsu was a weaker version that didnt require an incantation, that or Mashima just made up the incantation later. But regardless, Grand Chariot is a spell slow enough for Neinhart to be able to summon Simon first, despite casting the spell after Jellal had started, Gildarts should easily be able to do the same with something like All Crush.
I wouldn't call that blitzing though. August was standing still and already dodged Gildarts' swipe the first time around. At best, this would be an example of outsmarting your opponent in CQC. August thought Gildarts would make an attack right then and there but instead, Gildarts went from behind.

I meant Laxus (coated with lightning) is many times slower than Jellal. Had it been his true lightning body their speed would be comparable. Sorry about the confusion. To be honest, I still don't see how Gildarts can easily hit Jellal. Jura was unable to hit him and only got one lucky hit because his spell was a moving target. I would even say Erza is faster...

But crash still causes an explosion and Grand Chariot isn't that high. The one he used against God Serena put a crater into the ground despite God Serena's spells not being ground-based.

Well, Neinhart summoning historias is almost instantaneous. Plus, he was only able to do it because Jellal was saying his "incantation". After that, Jellal paused because he wanted Kagura's permission. In this battle, there is no reason why he couldn't use Grand Chariot immediately. An alternative is using Meteor + Grand a Chariot at the same time like he did in the GMG.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Gildarts would tank GC and it wouldn't slow him down imo. Jellal would have to use better spells... maybe even the mythical Abyss Break to seriously engage Gildarts.

I think Jellal is on Gildarts level, which means Jelly's middle of the rung spells like Grand Chariot can be dealt with efficiently... like Jura did in the GMG.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
IMO Jellal's performance against Acnologia > Gildart's performance against August.
Gildarts' perfroamce against August>Jellal's perfroamce against August.

Can't believe people are voting Jellal, Gildarts wins.

Darkrai

Reaction score
Country
India
Gildarts' perfroamce against August>Jellal's perfroamce against August.

Can't believe people are voting Jellal, Gildarts wins.
As I already said

Basically you are comparing Raged Gildarts[POF] vs unraged Jellal[maybe who cant use powerful spells to avoid damage to members of CS.] herehere

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As I already said

Basically you are comparing Raged Gildarts[POF] vs unraged Jellal[maybe who cant use powerful spells to avoid damage to members of CS.] herehere
But August was destroying OS. You're saying Jellal was holding back because he didn't want to damage the members who were getting destroyed by August. Isn't that kinda pointless?. It's like saying, a guy is going to kill your friend but you don't want attack that guy because you might accidentally hit your friend.

Well technically, having to protect someone and fight at the same time is a disadvantage. Also If jellal didn't wan't to go all out because he didn't want to hurt a bunch of bad guys he had forced to join his team, then wouldn't the same apply for Gildarts who had his daughter nearby.

Darkrai

Reaction score
Country
India
But August was destroying OS. You're saying Jellal was holding back because he didn't want to damage the members who were getting destroyed by August. Isn't that kinda pointless?. It's like saying, a guy is going to kill your friend but you don't want attack that guy because you might accidentally hit your friend.

Well technically, having to protect someone and fight at the same time is a disadvantage. Also If jellal didn't wan't to go all out because he didn't want to hurt a bunch of bad guys he had forced to join his team, then wouldn't the same apply for Gildarts who had his daughter nearby.
Lol -_-.If you check the Manga
In Gildarts fight Cana was behind Gildarts the entire time and August was on the opposite side.While in Jellal fight August was surrounded be CS.
Jellal fight was 4-5 panels no mention of spells he used. While Gildarts fight was 2-3 chapters long.

As for Gildarts getting raged Cana is her only daughter. Jellal recruited OS only an year ago. Which is stronger bond

I am not arguing just telling people who see these 2 fight as equal , that they are not equal.

Last edited:

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I wouldn't call that blitzing though. August was standing still and already dodged Gildarts' swipe the first time around. At best, this would be an example of outsmarting your opponent in CQC. August thought Gildarts would make an attack right then and there but instead, Gildarts went from behind.

I meant Laxus (coated with lightning) is many times slower than Jellal. Had it been his true lightning body their speed would be comparable. Sorry about the confusion. To be honest, I still don't see how Gildarts can easily hit Jellal. Jura was unable to hit him and only got one lucky hit because his spell was a moving target. I would even say Erza is faster...

But crash still causes an explosion and Grand Chariot isn't that high. The one he used against God Serena put a crater into the ground despite God Serena's spells not being ground-based.

Well, Neinhart summoning historias is almost instantaneous. Plus, he was only able to do it because Jellal was saying his "incantation". After that, Jellal paused because he wanted Kagura's permission. In this battle, there is no reason why he couldn't use Grand Chariot immediately. An alternative is using Meteor + Grand a Chariot at the same time like he did in the GMG.
Nah man, it was blitzing straight up, Gildarts got behind August before he could even react. The fact that August wasnt moving doesnt change the fact that he couldnt react to Gildarts attack. From August's perspective he was even leaving afterimages, that level of speed is nothing to sneeze at even for someone like Jellal.

Well Gildarts wouldn't easily hit Jellal, but he'd hit him. All Crush appears on his opponent, better than being homing like Juras rocks, so Gildarts shooting him out of the air like Jura did is feasible imo. The Cubing spell might be harder to land but not impossible with Gildarts speed.

Why does Crash making explosions matter? Gildarts can't be hurt by it, he chooses what is destroyed as shown when he crashed God Serena's spells without destroying Natsu, Gray, etc who were engulfed by them.
Like I said before, if Jura can block GC with Rock Mountain, Gildarts can Crash it.

All Crush is easily as instantaneous as summoning Historia and Gildarts has much better reaction speed than Neinhart.
Sure Jellal waited for Kagura to destroy Simon, doesn't change the fact that Simon was summoned first though.
Meteor + Grand Chariot is a better strategy, but if it didn't work on Jura then it almost certainly won't work on Gildarts

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lol -_-.If you check the Manga
In Gildarts fight Cana was behind Gildarts the entire time and August was on the opposite side.While in Jellal fight August was surrounded be CS.
Jellal fight was 4-5 panels no mention of spells he used. While Gildarts fight was 2-3 chapters long.

As for Gildarts getting raged Cana is her only daughter. Jellal recruited OS only an year ago. Which is stronger bond

I am not arguing just telling people who see these 2 fight as equal , that they are not equal.
No. I was saying that Jellal was not in a position to consider the wellbeing of his teammates, they were going to get wiped out regardless of what Jellal does. So saying that Jellal held back due to his teammates isn't really correct.

Gildarts had to take a hit from August in order to protect Cana. Having Cana around was more of a disadvantage IMO.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Such a bullshit :teehee
When arguments are out, RAGE will help you. Gildarts is Gildarts, Jellal is Jellal. Jellal was more raged in his fight, he fought for all world. Gildarts smiled almost whole fight.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah man, it was blitzing straight up, Gildarts got behind August before he could even react. The fact that August wasnt moving doesnt change the fact that he couldnt react to Gildarts attack. From August's perspective he was even leaving afterimages, that level of speed is nothing to sneeze at even for someone like Jellal.
Okay, well I guess we're just going to have to disagree. I'll let you have the last word (that is if you make it before the discussion phase ends).

The way I interpreted it, there were no afterimages. Those only happen when you see multiple images in a single panel. Like this:

The lines in the panel you posted simply means Gildarts is moving or 'dashing' if you will. Sort of like this:

I know I'm being a little technical here but I still don't see how the page you posted proves anything about Gildarts' speed being above average.

Well Gildarts wouldn't easily hit Jellal, but he'd hit him. All Crush appears on his opponent, better than being homing like Juras rocks, so Gildarts shooting him out of the air like Jura did is feasible imo. The Cubing spell might be harder to land but not impossible with Gildarts speed.
I doubt All Crush would hit Jellal, especially if he is using Meteor. That would require very good aim (Bisca's level). Honestly, the only way for Gildarts to hit Jellal is if they engage in CQC.

Why does Crash making explosions matter? Gildarts can't be hurt by it, he chooses what is destroyed as shown when he crashed God Serena's spells without destroying Natsu, Gray, etc who were engulfed by them.
Like I said before, if Jura can block GC with Rock Mountain, Gildarts can Crash it.
Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. I just saw it as Gildarts crashing the area between God Serena and Team Natsu, which is why the attack stopped (and a crater appeared). If Gildarts chooses what he destroys, then Magnolia wouldn't need to rearrange itself for Gildarts to walk to the guild hall.

Well, that depends on how much Gildarts and Jellal grew in proportion to each other. Jura blocked the pre-timeskip version. I have no idea how much Gildarts trained (or Jellal for that matter), so I can't argue here.

All Crush is easily as instantaneous as summoning Historia and Gildarts has much better reaction speed than Neinhart.
Sure Jellal waited for Kagura to destroy Simon, doesn't change the fact that Simon was summoned first though.
Meteor + Grand Chariot is a better strategy, but if it didn't work on Jura then it almost certainly won't work on Gildarts
The only reason why Simon was summoned before Jellal could use Grand Chariot was because of the "incantation" you brought up. But, again, it's not needed. So Jellal could use it instantaneously like he did against Acnologia. And I highly doubt Gildarts can react faster than Acnologia.

Conclusion: I agree Gildarts would win. My only problem is when people say Gildarts "mid-diff" or "He crashes Jellal's attacks and cubes him." (I understand this is necessary for the likes though). Either way, I don't think the outcome is that simple nor would it result in anything less than High Difficulty. But, for the sake of this argument, I'm willing to settle with Medium-High Difficulty.

Just out of curiosity, how much difficulty do you think Gildarts would have against Jellal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.