Conditional - Gray vs Erza | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

How well does Gray perform vs Erza?

• Gray extreme diff

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Erza extreme diff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gray high diff

• Erza high diff

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Gray mid diff

• Erza mid diff

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Gray low diff

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Erza low diff

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Tie

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Zero001

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Honestly this could end in a tie if it's a really serious fight in my mind, obviously Mashima won't let Erza lose, even Laxus didn't have a clean win against her, not even Natsu could.

Vex_Haid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can you explain how?
Gray was on par with E.N.D who is irene/august/base zeref tier since it was stated that e.n.d can kill base zeref, erza was getting played around by ajeel

Current gray loses tho, but i'm using peak gray

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Erza 100% wins. It's just a question of what difficulty.

Against the strongest version of Gray, it will probably be mid diff.

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
Erza wins this with around medium difficulty because of Gray's versatility, flash-freeze, speed and durabilty.

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France
Mashima took everything from Gray and turned him into a joke

Destined (one of the ) final battle against END? Wasn't even one of the final battles, END didn't even fully materialize (was partial-demon). And got cucked by Erza in the middle of the fight -_-

Then he wanted to cast iced shell again, for the 100th time after repeated developments in the past teaching him not to. And got cucked again, this time by Natsu.

The dude can't catch a break. He hasn't done ANYTHING IMPRESSIVE in the spinoff. Null, nada.
Now he's apparently even below SS Mira, WTF? It would be one thing if he's below Alegria or even Sitri, but SS, seriously?
He's just reduced to shipping material -_-

Honestly, there was a time (in Alverez/EOS) when people put Gray above Erza and even Laxus at times.
All you need to do is check out videos and power-ranking lists made during Alverez arc. Pretty much everyone put him above Erza, and majority put him above Laxus.
At one point he was a "rival" of Natsu. Now he's just........there.......as the epitome of mediocrity (both in character and power level). The weakest "powerhouse"
If some thought Gray was above Erza... I can't help you. Erza has the 2nd best POF in the guild. "Darkness Gray" was nothing to her when you see the incomprehensible strength she showed against Irene. Even at Tartaros Erza was slightly stronger than DeS Gray.

I think it's the fault of the fake "Natsu's rival" portrayal tricked Gray's fans into believing he was above the S ranks and even Gildarts.

I think that's why he gets abused in the sequel. Gray was very high and many saw him as top 3 in the guild and Hiro wanted to correct it... At a point when even Wendy and Lucy got more spotlight. Poor Gray. He doesn't even hold a candle to the current Erza and Natsu anymore.

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
If some thought Gray was above Erza... I can't help you. Erza has the 2nd best POF in the guild. "Darkness Gray" was nothing to her when you see the incomprehensible strength she showed against Irene. Even at Tartaros Erza was slightly stronger than DeS Gray.

I think it's the fault of the fake "Natsu's rival" portrayal tricked Gray's fans into believing he was above the S ranks and even Gildarts.

I think that's why he gets abused in the sequel. Gray was very high and many saw him as top 3 in the guild and Hiro wanted to correct it... At a point when even Wendy and Lucy got more spotlight. Poor Gray. He doesn't even hold a candle to the current Erza and Natsu anymore.
Nah dude, this was pretty much the consensus during Alverass arc. You can go check powerscaling videos made at the time. I wasn't in mangahelpers at that time, but Gray above Erza was pretty much consensus in google plus as well.

And really, it isn't hard to see why.
A less demonized (i.e less powerful) version of END than what stalemated Gray, no diff'd Dimaria and scarred her for life.
After "darkness" came, Gray low diff'd Invel without even using his slayer marks.

I don't think Mashima thinks in terms of "fans overrate Gray, so I shit on him"

More likely scenario is that what mashima wanted for Gray as a character itself changed. In the main series, Gray being a rival to Natsu was actually believable. He was also clearly being set up as the antithesis to END, Gray being made into a demon slayer was precisely Mashima making him a counterpart to Natsu being the demon END.
But.........somewhere along the line, Mashima dropped the entire END plot! After building it up for years.

So, at this point, Gray serves no real role.

What I'm trying to say is that, back then, Gray was likely intended to be as powerful as the majority thought he was.
And the likely reason Gray is shit right now isn't because Mashima wanted to stick it to fans thinking highly of Gray, but rather because gray being a legitimate rival to Natsu is no longer a view Mashima holds.

Fans don't come up with stuff randomly (except fanboys, but I'm not talking about them). They just see what Mashima is writing and get a feel based on portrayal and feats.
Which is why it is also consensus right now that Gray is weak, while the consensus back in Alverass was that he was strong

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France
Nah dude, this was pretty much the consensus during Alverass arc. You can go check powerscaling videos made at the time. I wasn't in mangahelpers at that time, but Gray above Erza was pretty much consensus in google plus as well.

And really, it isn't hard to see why.
A less demonized (i.e less powerful) version of END than what stalemated Gray, no diff'd Dimaria and scarred her for life.
After "darkness" came, Gray low diff'd Invel without even using his slayer marks.

I don't think Mashima thinks in terms of "fans overrate Gray, so I shit on him"

More likely scenario is that what mashima wanted for Gray as a character itself changed. In the main series, Gray being a rival to Natsu was actually believable. He was also clearly being set up as the antithesis to END, Gray being made into a demon slayer was precisely Mashima making him a counterpart to Natsu being the demon END.
But.........somewhere along the line, Mashima dropped the entire END plot! After building it up for years.

So, at this point, Gray serves no real role.

What I'm trying to say is that, back then, Gray was likely intended to be as powerful as the majority thought he was.
And the likely reason Gray is shit right now isn't because Mashima wanted to stick it to fans thinking highly of Gray, but rather because gray being a legitimate rival to Natsu is no longer a view Mashima holds.

Fans don't come up with stuff randomly (except fanboys, but I'm not talking about them). They just see what Mashima is writing and get a feel based on portrayal and feats.
Which is why it is also consensus right now that Gray is weak, while the consensus back in Alverass was that he was strong
I get what you mean and yes it is true that current Gray is not written to be Natsu's rival at all. And yeah the END story was completly a mess and a letdown.

What I mean is that since Natsu was Alvarez's strongest (IMO only Gildarts was Alvarez Natsu's rival without POF) and Gray was portrayed as his equal in this arc that explains why the YouTube videos put Gray > Erza seeing as everyone also thinks that Natsu > Erza.

True both one shotted Spriggans but Gray needed a Darkness power up and ice advantage, Base Gray with DeS was getting completely ragdolled.

The fact that some put Darkness Gray above Erza contradicts the portrayal and the story especially since Erza stopped him with his bare hands. Which means Darkness Gray and END weren't as powerful as people thought. And POF Erza's performance VS Irene >> Darkness Gray VS END and Invel.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get what you mean and yes it is true that current Gray is not written to be Natsu's rival at all. And yeah the END story was completly a mess and a letdown.

What I mean is that since Natsu was Alvarez's strongest (IMO only Gildarts was Alvarez Natsu's rival without POF) and Gray was portrayed as his equal in this arc that explains why the YouTube videos put Gray > Erza seeing as everyone also thinks that Natsu > Erza.

True both one shotted Spriggans but Gray needed a Darkness power up and ice advantage, Base Gray with DeS was getting completely ragdolled.

The fact that some put Darkness Gray above Erza contradicts the portrayal and the story especially since Erza stopped him with his bare hands. Which means Darkness Gray and END weren't as powerful as people thought. And POF Erza's performance VS Irene >> Darkness Gray VS END and Invel.
most of erza feats were put under magnifying lens and dehyped (check out erza vs mystogan thread to see how little it was required to throw erza under the bus :teehee). thus fans boys managed to come up with funny things like these

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Erza mid high/high low diff gray isn’t a scrub he will give erza a run of her money
he is quite literally trash. since the start of this sequel

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ezra low diff.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

he is quite literally trash. since the start of this sequel
What would make him not be trash.

Ronin31

Reaction score
Country
France
Both are versatile and smart in battle. Erza is just at a higher level in every stats.

Loke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Erza

Mimi0207

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Erza one shot. Gray has been really lackluster in 100YQ.