Discussion - Health or Taste? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Health or Taste?

What do you prefer in your food/beverage?

• Total voters

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Personaly I'm not a big fan of soda. And I don't understand why cola is so much popular. All these chemical taste are just not my thing at all. Plus I like sugar less and less. The only soda I drink with pleasure is orangina
And I don't understand how you can drink some while eating a meal. It overtakes all the taste of the other food
Sugary taste is just so good. Plus, many colas also have caffeine in it, which makes it even more addicting. I love sodas because of their sweet taste, otherwise I do wanna stay away and have tried.

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I've been staying away from sugared drinks for three weeks now, except for homemade juices and isotonic drinks.
It's not that hard for me maybe because I like cold drinks more than sugared drinks so cold water replacing my sugar drinks is an ok for me. Although I have to admit, the urge sometimes can't be controlled, in this three weeks I've drank two bottles of sugared drinks to treat myself and after that I wanted more then I reminded myself that Self-control and discipline is important.

Anyway, for me it'll be Taste over Health. I used to have KFC or Mcdonalds twice or once a week every time and I wasn't eating anything healthy or close to it and after being introduced to healthy food, I can never enjoy the taste as much as fast food. I think I got used to having them in my life that kicking them out will take sometime to get used to. Its been one month since I touched fast food and all I've been eating is "healthy" food, I don't hate them but I know I love fastfood more.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Sugary taste is just so good. Plus, many colas also have caffeine in it, which makes it even more addicting. I love sodas because of their sweet taste, otherwise I do wanna stay away and have tried.
It's easy to like sugar but little by little my preference has come for sour and bitter tastes. I trade 1 liter of grapefruit juice against all the cola of the world :-). I even start to really dislike when it's too suggary. Last week-end I made a brownie with only half of the sugar portion and I still feel like there was too many

@Zeltrax
I don't think that cold drink are that good. That was also one of my nightmare when I went to US. Why do people there put so many ice in the drinks ?

Reactions: M3J

Zeltrax

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I meant chilled drinks/drinks that are cold.
I can't stand water or sugared drinks warm, I like to drink everything cold.
Doesn't need to have ice, just in the fridge.

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I meant chilled drinks/drinks that are cold.
I can't stand water or sugared drinks warm, I like to drink everything cold.
Doesn't need to have ice, just in the fridge.
That's like me as well. Accept with food :amuse When I'm not particularly hungry and I just want to eat for the sake of it, I just go to the refrigerator and grab something and say 'screw the microwave' and eat it the way it is. I don't really like waiting for the microwave to heat up my food. My policy is, if it can be eaten the way it is, screw the microwave and eat it from the fridge. :D

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I understood and my point is still valid cold drink is not really good and the warm drinks are generally better.
In asia they drink a lot of tea and in the desert they do a lot too. As for me, I'm the opposit since I prefer warm drinks during the day, I still not drink them during lunch except for sups.

@Freid
That looks more like laziness than taste. And it's not like microwave was the best for heating. So far i didn't find better than the traditional saucepan. And it's not like you can everything raw but I guess if it's pizza it's ok

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I would say it's a combination of both. I genuinely do not mind the taste of cold food, and at the same time, waiting for the microwave is a bit of a drag for me. However, when I'm actually hungry, I don't mind enduring the few minutes. You know, when you are hungry you want to taste food at its best

On another note, I only recently started eating candy again after I took a sabbatical from eating them over a year ago. Man, I've missed out :darn

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Yeah time and washing are the 2 big enemies of healthy cuisine :-))

cracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Taste most times, health not so much...I think its because I'm still pretty young. Hmmm funny those who know better don't always do better lol

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Wahahaha, shame on us, no one voted for "health"! XD
The perfect answer, obviously, should be health. But I can't deny it that I almost always pick taste way above health. Last night my mom made me an apple juice, and since I'm a no-no when it comes to fruit juice, I had a hard time drinking it. But give me a choco milk and everything would be perfect. I wouldn't even care of getting fat or my acnes would act up or whatever. XD

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
The truth is that it's really hard to eat healthy nowadays...bio stuff are not that healthy in many regions, but last I've eaten in McDonalds or similar Fast Food was too long time ago to remember, so I guess health does count a bit as well...but I don't eat for health...I eat for the taste as well

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It seems to be the true challenge nowadays: to make healthy and delicious food. XD Bio stuff is not very popular here as well, and even though fast food restaurants like you mentioned have tried to implement such kind of action (I once bought a "healthy rice" from KFC, but well, I can't really tell the difference ^^"), I don't think it works that much. At least from what I've seen here.

Riiko

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like such a dork, but I have to say I prefer health. If we're strictly speaking about cooking, it is so much easier to modify the taste of something over the health of it. For instance, I was stir-frying some peppers, broccoli, and tofu last night and tried using grapeseed oil. I usually use canola oil, but this time I opted for a more healthy choice. I worried that the grapeseed oil would add too much of a taste, but it didn't at all. The dish came out light, tasty, and healthy! I think it is sad to hear that people equate healthy with bad-tasting, because it just isn't true. While it is true that fast food will never be healthy, you can make a lot of easily and more cheaply at your house. I understand that we've all got busy schedules, trust me! I work and go to school too! However, some recipes only take a couple of minutes, and you can make enough to last you a couple days for only a couple dimes! I encourage you all to give cooking a chance and you'll see the possiblities of eating healthily : D!

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Haha, (un)fortunately I can't cook anything but instant noodle at the moment, so I can only do my best in choosing healthy foods. If I really become a housewife who has to cook for the family someday, I wish I can make a delicious but healthy food like you did. :3

Joefish

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I voted for taste because I wouldn't eat something only for the sake of health.
But also the other way around. It needs to be balanced. And that's the best way to go I suppose.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
well eating something healthy definitely is important but I'm going for taste.
there sure are things healthy and tasty but when it's just supposed to be healthy I really have to force myself to eat it XD

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I prefer taste, but I avoid things that I know taste good but are unhealthy. Its best to avoid things that you know are pleasurable but either dangerous or addictive if you want to avoid trouble later on. I'm not obsessed by health though, and even though I don't eat often I find it hard to stop when something tastes good. When food doesn't taste good, I don't eat very much. I'm a pleasure addict who has enough sense to avoid serious trouble before I cause it.

Last edited:

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, back when I was in the bulking process of my weight lifting, I was never really concerned about my health. I would pig out and ate whatever I wanted, healthy or not. It was when I started to cut that I started to strip off unhealthy foods out of my diet.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I would say that I always prefer taste over everything. I totally can't eat anything if I don't like how it tastes or smells even if it's healthy and looks good.
Also, even though after New Year's celebrations I try to loose weight I still can't totally give up all unhealthy food at once like fried potatoes, chips and sweets.:) The thing is I'm too fond of sweets like chocolate and other types.:)

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol you're only a few weeks into the new year so giving up those foods is still possible. Candy and potato chips are the guilty pleasures of probably 99% of the world, and it'd be a miracle if you were able to abruptly give them up without craving them afterwards.

Last edited: