Discussion - Health or Taste? | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Health or Taste?

What do you prefer in your food/beverage?

• Total voters

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Once you're used to not eating like shit, it's easier to turn away from it. For many, first few days after stopping are the worst.

My eating habit will be the reason I die early. :derp like, when I'm around 30.
Ugh - why does this feel like a personal biased opinion towards me...
Its not like I haven't tired either. I gave up soda completely for a while and even till this month there have been a few miscellaneous times i drank a few sips here and there on rarity.

edit - for the poll i chose health but I have hard time not going after the taste.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It's not. Was gonna put late 20s but I have a stubborn body.

Soft drinks are do addicting. T_T

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not. Was gonna put late 20s but I have a stubborn body.

Soft drinks are do addicting. T_T
Make a habit of drinking water from bottles and such.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say taste over health personally, but in this day and age you can find both quite easily.

Xerous

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I feel like there needs to be some kind of middle ground in that poll.:hmm

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Mostly health and fulfilling that requirement, i try to make it as tasteful as possible. Mostly i use the book "gourmet nutrition" which is actually really nice.

Day

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For me, it's one of those things were I prefer taste but value the importance of health concerns.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
How food is being derived as tasty is all about the fats in it which is the reason or the cause of why most children (including adults as well) dislike vegetables. I believe many of us will have heard from those who have kids or have little brothers and sisters or even from those people whom you know who have young children, that they have problem giving veggies to their children.

In particular, meat (such as pork, beef, mutton, chicken, etc) contains medium to high level of saturated fat which in current society is considered as unhealthy. However in most circumstance when one says, "to eat healthily", it means to cut down (or totally not eating) animal fat products. But is it really true that by reducing or completely restrain from having animal fats that food will not taste as good? In fact there are many dishes (or food) that can be both "healthy" and "tasty" if it is cooked in the "right" way. It is just only needed to compensate those fats that supposedly to be tasty to something that has equal proportion. But of course this is excluding the reference of individual taste buds and choices.

The poll has only 2 choices. In my instance it would be both - eat and drink healthily and good taste.:super :)

TStew

Reaction score
Country
United States
The poll has only 2 choices. In my instance it would be both - eat and drink healthily and good taste.:super :)
Exactly. The answer lies somewhere in between. Very few would probably drink something healthy that tasted terrible. But, there are healthier choices that still taste good, though perhaps not as good as the sugar filled and artificially sweetened drinks.

Very unhealthy drinks I've either cut out entirely, or just partake once in a great while like a root beer float. Its a treat to have, just only a couple times a season on a hot summers day.

I bought a book called 'Superfood Smoothies' and a quality blender. I've experimented with many healthy drinks that are 100% natural food with no added sugars or anything like that. Most are actually really good.

I consume a lot of things that are of questionable health... coffee, beer, wine. They have healthy properties but also unhealthy ones. Life is about balance. And while I lean towards healthy, I still like to enjoy things. :super

Last edited:

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I think taste is very personal. Every individual likes different things - one may like sweet stuff, while the other may prefer it bland. However in terms of healthy food, it would be easier or more clear cut to differentiate what's healthy and what is not. We just need to read labels (though labels can be misleading :teehee).

TStew

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just need to read labels (though labels can be misleading :teehee).
Yes, there is a big problem. Reading labels is good for the obvious things, sugars, carbs, sodium, etc. But there is so much about food that is not measured or labeled. Also people just are not aware of what is good or bad. What is TBHQ for example? Most people wouldn't know. But its bad enough to be banned in many countries and yet millions of Americans eat it unknowingly. It's all the highly processed and refined stuff that might look ok on a label, but is not so good for you. Soybean oil? Other soy processed products like isolates? Soy is healthy right? No not really. Best thing is to eat whole foods not processed junk, and better yet if you can grow them yourself or buy organic so that it has not been sprayed with pesticides, insecticides, or genetically modified to contain these things. There is so much misinformation out there it will make your head spin when you try to research. For example years ago fat and cholesterol where though to be bad. Things like whole eggs and butter got a black eye. Then things like margarine came out as an alternative. Wow a butter alternative made out of 100% veggie oils? Has to be good right? Nope it is far far worse for you to the point of being toxic. But that mentality lasted for a couple decades. Now they find more natural things like butter and whole eggs to be quite good for you. The saturated fat and cholesterol in them has found to be almost completely unrelated to heart disease, and eating the whole egg and not just the whites, can actually increase your good cholesterol and decrease your bad. It's things like that that piss me off since studies like that that were completely false changed the entire direction of the food and healthy industry for years and fooled millions of people.

Oh sorry I appear to be venting! My apologies. I have been on a healthy quest now for a few years, eating better and working out. I hope to one day be able to grow almost everything I need and raise or hunt my own food too. Much healthier and more rewarding! My garden was very small this year but I did get some canning done. Tomatoes, relishes, jam. Going to do a batch of banana peppers soon.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Yes, there is a big problem. Reading labels is good for the obvious things, sugars, carbs, sodium, etc. But there is so much about food that is not measured or labeled. Also people just are not aware of what is good or bad. What is TBHQ for example? Most people wouldn't know. But its bad enough to be banned in many countries and yet millions of Americans eat it unknowingly. It's all the highly processed and refined stuff that might look ok on a label, but is not so good for you. Soybean oil? Other soy processed products like isolates? Soy is healthy right? No not really. Best thing is to eat whole foods not processed junk, and better yet if you can grow them yourself or buy organic so that it has not been sprayed with pesticides, insecticides, or genetically modified to contain these things. There is so much misinformation out there it will make your head spin when you try to research. For example years ago fat and cholesterol where though to be bad. Things like whole eggs and butter got a black eye. Then things like margarine came out as an alternative. Wow a butter alternative made out of 100% veggie oils? Has to be good right? Nope it is far far worse for you to the point of being toxic. But that mentality lasted for a couple decades. Now they find more natural things like butter and whole eggs to be quite good for you. The saturated fat and cholesterol in them has found to be almost completely unrelated to heart disease, and eating the whole egg and not just the whites, can actually increase your good cholesterol and decrease your bad. It's things like that that piss me off since studies like that that were completely false changed the entire direction of the food and healthy industry for years and fooled millions of people.

Oh sorry I appear to be venting! My apologies. I have been on a healthy quest now for a few years, eating better and working out. I hope to one day be able to grow almost everything I need and raise or hunt my own food too. Much healthier and more rewarding! My garden was very small this year but I did get some canning done. Tomatoes, relishes, jam. Going to do a batch of banana peppers soon.
Thank you for sharing. :^_^

That garden of yours sounds very interesting. :super I wish I could live in the country to have a land to grow plants.

Sometimes we have to make-do with what we have. I always believe in moderation and eating as much natural food as possible. I'm not a big fan of processed food like canned food or food that contain too much preservatives though I understand that we can't avoid all of them totally, particularly not everyone has the privilege to have a land to grow crops on their own (like those who are living in the city).

I think eating healthily doesn't mean all veggies and nothing else. We need all kinds of food to maintain the body to keep it going. But I don't indulge into something that is very high in calories too much and too often. But once in a blue, I would like to have one of these to satisfy my mood:-

or

:teehee

Oh, would you mind to show some pics of your beautiful garden? :^_^

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good god, proGoddess, you're gonna make me break my diet ughhh.

I've struggled with too much food related dilemmas... I hit a healthy medium a few years back when i started playing baseball ... i eat well for 4 days, and then have a cheat day. It's not as bad as it sounds considering that i worked out 6 days a week in some form for baseball. Now that I'm in college and i don't plan on playing college baseball i just sit around all day ... i do play the occasional pick me up game with friends for giggles.

I have heard of once or twice a day eating plans that basically promise that you can eat anything you want as long as you only eat once-twice a day. Anyone have any experience with those?

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Some years ago, I went on a strict diet and exercises in order to lose some 20 pounds. I was really determined to gain back my original weight and with the effort of dieting and exercising daily, I lost more than 20 pounds in 6 months. From that day on, I watch what I eat closely and continue exercising regularly. :^_^

I guess it is always good to maintain the regular regime and learn to choose food that has less calories. Indulgence is only once in a blue moon and is definitely not on a weekly or even daily basis.

Oh well... that's my ideal for myself. Everyone is free to eat whatever they like and no one is to judge on them. All in all, we are responsible for ourselves. We reap what we sow. We can't turn back the clock when diseases come knocking at the door. Therefore, think twice before action.

Eat wisely is probably the key words. :^_^

I hope everyone stays healthy always. :super

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tell myself the same thing! Going to the gym has been a journey, i recently picked up rock climbing (not on real walls because i suck, but challenge courses) to try and give myself SOMETHING to do so i don't waste away doing computer science work.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I tell myself the same thing! Going to the gym has been a journey, i recently picked up rock climbing (not on real walls because i suck, but challenge courses) to try and give myself SOMETHING to do so i don't waste away doing computer science work.
It's always nice to do something different once in a while, and to break away from the hectic school work or office work. :super

I have not tried rock-climbing. I heard some people telling me it was tough. Is that so?

I hope you will be able to reach your goal soon. :)

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is ! it's very demanding in a different way, i went into it with confidence because of prior weight training and cardio thanks to baseball. I was so wrong. The forearms and knees are the most important muscles in the situation. And flexibility. And last but definitely not least, finger strength.

Also knowing technique (like in everything else) is essential, and even though i am physically stronger than my friend who showed me rock climbing, his knowledge of technique lets him climb circles around me.

I am to be passable... to one day climb an actual rock face on a mountain just to be able to look back and say that i did.

You should give it a whirl if it isn't too out of your way.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
It is ! it's very demanding in a different way, i went into it with confidence because of prior weight training and cardio thanks to baseball. I was so wrong. The forearms and knees are the most important muscles in the situation. And flexibility. And last but definitely not least, finger strength.

Also knowing technique (like in everything else) is essential, and even though i am physically stronger than my friend who showed me rock climbing, his knowledge of technique lets him climb circles around me.

I am to be passable... to one day climb an actual rock face on a mountain just to be able to look back and say that i did.

You should give it a whirl if it isn't too out of your way.
It would be very challenging for me since I'm not that physically "fit" (haha) though I wouldn't mind to give it a try to have a taste of how it is like. I would reckon that one needs some form of training in order to be able to even make an attempt on rock climbing.

I'm happy as I am, as long as it is a fun activity. It's just like eating stated in this thread, as long as the food is pleasurable, why not? Of course we do need to keep our body healthy, or else we wouldn't be enjoying what we like to do in life. No one wants to die prematurely.

As long as we maintain our health, we can live life more meaningfully and have a more enjoyable life. :^_^

Thanks for sharing with me and I hope that you will be able to fulfill your goal in the near future. :super

TStew

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be very challenging for me since I'm not that physically "fit" (haha) though I wouldn't mind to give it a try to have a taste of how it is like. I would reckon that one needs some form of training in order to be able to even make an attempt on rock climbing.
Well for starters many places have the indoor rock climbing walls and use auto-belay so you basically need no skill. Just try it, and whenever you want you can let go (it is a very freaky feeling at first!) and the line just slowly lowers you down. There are a couple gyms and athletic clubs in town that have them around here, though it does cost a little to partake. But very fun if you try it with a few friends.

I've never been real rock climbing (I lack any instruction on the real thing, nor do I have any equipment) but I am an avid backpacker and love hiking the mountains. Every year I try to go on at least one or two overnight trips into the mountains. Sometimes it requires some rock scrambling and pulling yourself up some steep rock faces and walls, but generally no rock climbing gear needed. This year I took a 3 day trip to the Adirondacks which are near where I grew up... got 5 more of the high peaks bagged across a 3 day 40 mile loop. No better way to be at one with nature, especially since I was solo.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I usually go for healthy and when I do, I go for choices that are tasty. It's possible to make healthy food delicious with the right ingredients and stuff like spices, sauces, lemon juice..etc. I love trying new food and before I knew it, I got used to snacking on nuts, dried fruits and bio yogurt over dessert. I also came to prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate (I also came up with my own low sugar dark chocolate and mint ice cream recipe).

Well, I've always been interested in health and lifestyle topics, so maybe I'm making switching to healthy sound easier than it really is XD I see no harm in eating fried or junk food once or twice a week to break away from the routine, though. I love McDonald's ever since I was a kid, and there are times once or every few weeks when I crave a McChicken or even a big Mac with French fries (large).

Last edited: