Discussion - Health or Taste? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Health or Taste?

What do you prefer in your food/beverage?

• Total voters

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I practically made a miracle.:)) Now I only eat less than kilo of sweets and chips a week.:)) Before it would have been more than 2 for sure and might be even more than 3 kilos a week.:)
About 7 years ago, when I began studing in University it was about 6 kilos of sweets and chips weekly.:))

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats, dude. Lol but it took you 7 years to do it. I wouldn't call that a miracle :p

Last edited:

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Actually I made it last one year and a half)))
The thing is I'm really fond of sweets, thus it was really difficult to not eat as much as I wanted))

Enn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Taste all the way. However it is, I love all edible greens and sweets a little too much.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Taste. No use in living long if you constantly have to eat stuff that taste like shit.

rudorofu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh my, I'm one of the few people who voted for health LOL. It's not that I'm a serious fitness/health person, I just like to take care of myself the majority of the time, but there are those times when I give into temptations of eating junk food XD I'm only human :3

faintsmile1992

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I don't see why its an 'either-or' choice between health and taste, you can have both if you're sensible.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Well, would you rather have a plate of carrot sticks, or a plate of chips? It's as simple as that, really.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Taste.

What's the point in living healthy if it makes you want to die? True health food saps my will to live.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I don't see why its an 'either-or' choice between health and taste, you can have both if you're sensible.
Obviously. But if you had to choose ONE.

jacek185

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
i choose taste becouse i love to eat good food even if it kills me :>

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
To be honest as time goes on I find that there is less and less of a choice here when it comes to fast food. Not entirely sure why but over the last couple of years I have gradually lost my taste for actual fast food. I can barely tolerate a number of fast food restaurants nowadays as the stuff they sell barely actually tastes like what it is supposed to taste. At the moment I find McDonalds to be plain horrible. Particularly in USA, there are 300 different hamburger establishments with better burgers than them at similar prices (not hardees/carls jr though, that stuff tastes like sawdust). Admittedly Mcflurries are awesome though. KFC or Boojangles does not even taste like chicken either. Its just awful... (I do kinda enjoy Boojangles biskuit sandwiches though). I guess ultimately it comes down to fast food not actually tasting or looking like what it is supposed to be. Pizza hut is adequate however when I realized the golden crust color came from a spray can I just stopped going there. Seriously, why would you need a spray can to look toasted bread look toasted? Or is our entire notion of what pizza crust actually looks like actually fabricated by some marketing guy and actual pizza crust looks nothing like what they sell it to us? How would someone even come out with such an insane idea, making pizza crust brown when the one everyone is eating is white or something? Anyways, if we want basically any food to taste like what it is supposed to taste (chicken, steak, cheese and so on) then the only way to do it is to avoid fast food places and fried stuff which actually covers the flavor of food with fat in the worst way possible.

LeoMarco

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was pretty hard to chose, but I think taste. Fortunately, for myself, I much prefer the taste of healthy food. I very rarely eat 'junk' food because I don't like how it taste (or can physically eat it), and sadly enough, I consider dried fruit as junk food. Every now and then I fancy a fry-up and wouldn't think twice about it.

As for the question of chips vs carrots, if by chips you mean crisps, then I'll chose carrots thank you very much.

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
I think that taste can be an induced notion fuelled by your eating habits. I can go even further and suggest that your family and society (environment), influenced(s) your notion of taste. Why am I saying it? Simply because I experienced that taste can be trained. I used to love sugar and fried things and imagined that my life will suck without tasting them. But you know what?? It doesn't.

A few years ago, I started avoiding junk food, sugars and excessive salty or spicy meals...and now, I don't even feel the need to have them. Besides, knowing that most "tasty"processed foods and drinks are highly addictive is another reason to pick health over taste. I just don't want to be hooked on something; life is hard the way it is; dependency/addiction can make it even harder!

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with ancy but its hard to stop for me because of the cravings. I might last a while from not eating so much processed foods and sodas as well.
But recently I've been going back to how I used to do things...

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

This was pretty hard to chose, but I think taste. Fortunately, for myself, I much prefer the taste of healthy food. I very rarely eat 'junk' food because I don't like how it taste (or can physically eat it), and sadly enough, I consider dried fruit as junk food. Every now and then I fancy a fry-up and wouldn't think twice about it.

As for the question of chips vs carrots, if by chips you mean crisps, then I'll chose carrots thank you very much.
Teach me your ways? I've been wanting to eat healthy for a while.
But I suppose its all in your will and or determination to follow through.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

i choose taste becouse i love to eat good food even if it kills me :>
You're bad as I am :faint.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that taste can be an induced notion fuelled by your eating habits. I can go even further and suggest that your family and society (environment), influenced(s) your notion of taste. Why am I saying it? Simply because I experienced that taste can be trained. I used to love sugar and fried things and imagined that my life will suck without tasting them. But you know what?? It doesn't.

A few years ago, I started avoiding junk food, sugars and excessive salty or spicy meals...and now, I don't even feel the need to have them. Besides, knowing that most "tasty"processed foods and drinks are highly addictive is another reason to pick health over taste. I just don't want to be hooked on something; life is hard the way it is; dependency/addiction can make it even harder!
I have a different theory.

I mean, sure I avoid too much salt, try to have as balanced a diet as I can, and make sure I don't go overweight; which is not hard for me (thank you, genetics). I also avoid soft drinks, which isn't hard for me either because I don't like them. But at the end of the day I eat what tastes good and what puts a smile on my face. If it's healthy all the better but somethings that taste great are nutritionally deadly; such as french style cream sauces, candy, chocolate in general, cheeses in general, red meat, cakes in general, and many many more glorious things that make life worth living.

It could be one day that stuff will be the death of me but, having taken care of an elderly grandparent, I feel like a long life is not all it's cracked up to be. Even if your body is as healthy as can be expected the twilight years pretty much suck ass. So I'll take the cream sauces and if I make it past 60 sign me up for a DNR; I think I'd rather leave the party too soon than too late.

Last edited:

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
Health conditions will not wait for you to reach the twilight years, you know...you can get sick at 20 something or younger if you live an unhealthy lifestyle :oh

check out this article! It's quite interesting

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Health conditions will not wait for you to reach the twilight years, you know...you can get sick at 20 something or younger if you live an unhealthy lifestyle :oh

check out this article! It's quite interesting
Oh sure, there are plenty of disadvantages in the short and long term. Though that article is on child health. I'm significantly older than 14 so the damage is long done. Might as well just enjoy it now.:amuse

I'm aware of the risks of such things. Seared meat, which increases your risk of cancer. Many of the delicious things that effect your blood pressure. Caffeine which is deadly in like a hundred ways. Preservatives which are deadly in a thousand more. But at the end of the day if I have to choose between health and taste I choose taste because that's part of how I enjoy life and I wouldn't give that up for almost anything.

-------------------------------------------------

Though in reality you don't really have to pick one or the other. Food can be made a lot healthier by just making it yourself. One of the big issues with fast food is the salt and saturated fat content. Even Subway, for example, despite it's claims of healthiness actually has an impressive amount of salt in much of it's food.

Last edited:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Regarding subway - over much better than most of the other food joints in health. I do go there sometimes.
My main problem is falling back in to the old pattern of eating junk food and late night eating as well.
Mind over matter is not so easy when you're not really willing to commit to a goal as you initially thought or wanted to put effort in.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Once you're used to not eating like shit, it's easier to turn away from it. For many, first few days after stopping are the worst.

My eating habit will be the reason I die early. :derp like, when I'm around 30.