Discussion - Hiatus X Hiatus | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus

I would love if He's re drawing some parts, because...Well, you know.

Anyway, I'm used to this so I don't care much. After...what? 6 or 7 hiatus? I just wait for them.

Refraction

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Iceland

HUNTERxHUNTER releases have been intermittent since the series started, but he seems to be concentrating his "off" periods into solid blocks, these days, rather than staying down for seven weeks, then releasing a chapter, then taking three weeks, and so forth. The scenario we have now is probably preferable to the former arrangement, when he was sometimes guilty of submitting an 8-page chapter.

Jaymie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Hopefully he's just redrawing scenes, but I said that before he went on the big hiatus, so...

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand

I really don't mind the bad drawing scene that much, as long as it is fix when the volume version came up. I buy all the volumes anyway.

As for the hiatus, I really hope it's not long. I was getting happy about consistent chapter (getting past the 10 mark, like the way hiatus start in chapter 270, 280, 290), but bang! One more hiatus again...

ordoghaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

yeah, i was just getting excited again with hxh, then boom, another hiatus. lately, im even more excited with a hxh chapter than with a naruto's but oh well. sooner or later, id forget about hxh again, then, hopefully by then, there'd already be a few chaps of hxh to read.

brigid001

Reaction score
Country
Ireland

I agree with most people in saying that this hiatus is a disappointment. I had actually just caught up to the manga recently. I think it was about a year ago when i first watched the anime, and did not know the manga was still ongoing. I was thrilled when i found out and caught up in 2 weeks i think :D. It's a pity that there's another hiatus but hopefully it won't be too long. This will be my first experience of a long hiatus, just as i was enjoying the story so much.

On another note i think this would be a perfect time to announce a new anime/ova. Lol i know i've set my hopes high lol but it would be a nice feeling to feel the void and maybe it would encourage Togashi to come back. I really wanna see the chimera ant arc so bad, due to me watching my dvd boxsets of hxh and reminding me of how awesome it is :D

Refraction

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Iceland

If we do get a new OVA, I really hope they get Furuhashi back as director; I wasn't all that fond of the directors for Greed Island. Furuhashi inputted some splendid visual cues in his work--and I think he could pull off the darker elements of the Chimera Ant arc with aplomb.

brigid001

Reaction score
Country
Ireland

If we do get a new OVA, I really hope they get Furuhashi back as director; I wasn't all that fond of the directors for Greed Island. Furuhashi inputted some splendid visual cues in his work--and I think he could pull off the darker elements of the Chimera Ant arc with aplomb.
Oh i never knew there was a different director for the ovas. But yea i would love Furuhashi back in that case. Yes i think he handled the darker moments in Hxh splendidly, he especially made hisoka really creepy O__o

HxHMangas32

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Togashi's illness?

It's been some rumors flying around about tohashi having trouble drawing HxH, some people say it's because his back, others say it's because he's spending time with his kids or playing video games....:blink
Now i dont know what to believe, what do you think?

Negative Syndicate

Re: Togashi's illness?

So far, I really don't know why Togashi is taking so many breaks.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Because he can :p.

He has an incredible amount of authority for a mangaka I hear. He can go off when he feels like it, and won't get his series cancelled since it actually earns quite a lot of money.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I don't see how he can have that much authority.... he wrote yuyu hakusho and is working on HH but would that really be enough for him to take breaks this indiscriminately? As awesome as his manga's are, I don't think he should be quite there yet (its not like he wrote DBZ and inspired a generation right?). I don't think he is sick though...... I guess he just gets to do what he wants for some reason.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

I'm in as much disbelief as you, but his manga sell a lot. Maybe his first hiatus was due to sickness, but after noticing how it didn't affect his manga's sales, he decided he could take one whenever he wanted, that or he layed out some sort of deal with WSJ. I doubt the hiatuses are due to his gaming addiction though.

twasdfzxcv

Reaction score
Country
United States

After digging a bit on web, I found some explanation as to Togashi's constant hiatus.

tl;dr Togashi is a lazy manga artist.

A few years ago there's a series of articles titled "the disappeared manga artist" that talks about manga artists that seems to stop drawing (the whole thing is in Japanese and I only found a Chinese translation one some Chinese site),and one of the articles talks about Togashi.

Long story short, Togashi is completely fine. The long hiatus is not cost by illness or anything. It's simply that Togashi doesn't want to devote his life completely to manga, and he wants to enjoy other aspects of life. In another word, Togashi is not a model manga artist.

Basically it started out during the end of Yu Yu hakashou. Because of the constant pressure from the editors of Jump to continue the story, Togashi has actually grew tired of drawing manga during that time. To the point that he feel sick just looking at rough drafts. Secondly the pressure of weekly releases has impacted his health considerably. Add to the fact that Togashi insists on working by himself without assistants to finish the final draft, the result is that Togashi wanted to quit drawing manga at that point.

After Yuyuhakashou ended Togashi went into a one year hiatus from drawing manga. His next work Level E would again be released on Jump, however it'd only be release on a monthly schedule.

There was a quote of Togashi somewhere that he doesn't want to die drawing manga, and insists on drawing only what he wants to draw.

So basically Togashi is not sick, he's just enjoying his life.

The article is title "消えたマンガ家", published on this magazine
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickJapan

by this person
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/大泉実成

The column series was combined into a book in 1996

While this is before Hunter x Hunter starting serialization, I believe this is still relevant in understanding Togashi now.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I guess that makes sense.... Perhaps a monthly manga where he'd just have to draw 30 pages a month would fit him better than writting 17 a week lol. Too bad someone with a manga as awesome as HH does not seem as into manga as other mangaka's though. If the info is true then I just lost all hope of ever seeing this manga reaching a proper end though.

twasdfzxcv

Reaction score
Country
United States

Well comiket 78 just ended so hopefully someone saw Togashi and ask him about the hiatus. He's know to attend these kind of stuff.

Edit: I guess we should be thankful that at least he's putting out one volume every year. There are mangaka who does thing even slower.

2 rumors about hunter x hunter, both of them are extremely unlikely.

One is that Togashi got a divorce. This rumor appears several times before and probably made up by some otaku.

Second is that the serialization will start in October. Again very unlikely since Togashi still has 2 volume worth of stuff waiting to be published.

Last edited:

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Edit: I guess we should be thankful that at least he's putting out one volume every year. There are mangaka who does thing even slower.
Who for example ? I remember Berserk being slow but not that slow

It's simply that Togashi doesn't want to devote his life completely to manga, and he wants to enjoy other aspects of life. In another word, Togashi is not a model manga artist.
I'm working roughly 8h a day 221 days a year. I'm not exactly a workaholic ... Togashi is working far less than that. My guess is that Togashi just don't care anymore & only work for his own pleasure from time to time & do not care one bit about fans.

KuwabaraTheMan

Reaction score
Country
United States

If Togashi didn't care, then the stuff he put out wouldn't be of such an amazing quality. I think he just no longer feels compelled to work all of the time, so he goes at a pace that he feels more comfortable with.

Given his success, I think he's earned that right.

twasdfzxcv

Reaction score
Country
United States

Who for example ? I remember Berserk being slow but not that slow
Guyver 27 volume since 1985
5 star stories. 12 volumes since 1986
Word of advice don't even start reading those series...

I'm working roughly 8h a day 221 days a year. I'm not exactly a workaholic ... Togashi is working far less than that. My guess is that Togashi just don't care anymore & only work for his own pleasure from time to time & do not care one bit about fans.
I think Togashi doesn't think drawing manga is his work. Or rather he doesn't want drawing manga to be his job. He probably consider himself retired and only doing manga when he wants to.

BigCamaro

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I don't see how he can have that much authority.... he wrote yuyu hakusho and is working on HH but would that really be enough for him to take breaks this indiscriminately? As awesome as his manga's are, I don't think he should be quite there yet (its not like he wrote DBZ and inspired a generation right?). I don't think he is sick though...... I guess he just gets to do what he wants for some reason.
I think YYH and Rurouni Kenshin were the most popular manga after DBZ during that time. Their mangaka have alot of respect as such.
But DBZ, Dr Slump, and numerous other manga would put Toriyama on another level still.

Being married to the Sailor Moon mangaka, I wouldnt mind if he was just too lazy to draw and dictated his panels to her, and its not like he doesnt have editors. But his drawings get so bad at times and then are well done at others, Ive heard he has a hand disease.