TV - House of The Dragon | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV House of The Dragon

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Another good/great episode. Just the way the show looks and the drama dude. Really enjoying it so far.

Mysaria's accent is very confusing though

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Good episode once more.Lot of info dump this episode.

I was always curious how many Dragons Valyria had at its height.So it was 1000+.I thought it was around 500.

Yeah the Targaryens could have created a second Valyria in Westeros if they avoided fighting each other and prevented the Maester conspiracy.

So it seems we are going to see the campaign in the Stepstones next episode.It was completely illogical that the Targaryens never conquered the Stepstones.It was a highly strategic area for Westeros.They had Dragons and entire Westeros behind them.

The episode was really great overall.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The Stepstones are in the condition they are because of the Doom of Valyria. Another thing that probably made it hard to conquer and hold was that Dorne was still independent at this time. Dorne was really only brought under control of the Iron Throne 100 years prior to Robert's Rebellion.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The reception is kind of going better than expected. Not that I worried too much about the quality, I just thought maybe casual fans were a bit fatigued after how GoT ended.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Shots fired.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Ok so this episode we saw the fight of the Stepstones.It was bit different from what i expected.But any rate seeing the dragons flying was pretty intense.

Viserys's hunting expedition reminded me of Roberts last hunting expedition,

Laenor coming to the rescue was pretty badass in my opinion.Pretty good episode.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, at least it's confirmed that daemon is basically superhuman.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Viserys's hunting expedition reminded me of Roberts last hunting expedition,
Except it was actually shown? :kappa

This episode was really good up until the ending. The whole fight scene at the wedding didn't really make much sense.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It felt like they really needed to rush the plot at the end.
You have laenor's gigolo telling rhaenryra's gigolo that he is the future king consort's lover because... reasons? It's so outrageously stupid this was pretty much a suicide. A character for literally no reason forgetting his survival instincts while having nothing to gain out of it.. They could have at least shown him being blackout drunk or something.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It felt like they really needed to rush the plot at the end.
You have laenor's gigolo telling rhaenryra's gigolo that he is the future king consort's lover because... reasons? It's so outrageously stupid this was pretty much a suicide. A character for literally no reason forgetting his survival instincts while having nothing to gain out of it.. They could have at least shown him being blackout drunk or something.
There was already an understanding between Rhaenyra and Laenor though, Joffrey just said that now they had assurances in knowing her lover since Rhaenyra knew he was gay.

The stupid part is in how he died here. In the books there's a tourney and Criston kills Joffrey "accidentally". Here there's some obfuscated reasons for him being triggered to the point of turning his face into hamburger helper. Regardless of what it was or whether he could be justified, the fact that he wasn't thrown in a cell immediately after is completely absurd. Nevermind that he's seen trying to commit seppuku in front of a Heart Tree even though he's from the Dornish Marches and certainly would worship the Seven and not the Old Gods if they wanted to go with the religious homophobe angle.

Given that they rushed the wedding, it seems the Tourney was cut for budgetary reasons, but I'm sorry, the aftermath of Criston murdering someone in front of 100+ other people has to make a bit more sense than this... hopefully there will be more to it next episode before the timeskip.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
There was already an understanding between Rhaenyra and Laenor though, Joffrey just said that now they had assurances in knowing her lover since Rhaenyra knew he was gay.

The stupid part is in how he died here. In the books there's a tourney and Criston kills Joffrey "accidentally". Here there's some obfuscated reasons for him being triggered to the point of turning his face into hamburger helper. Regardless of what it was or whether he could be justified, the fact that he wasn't thrown in a cell immediately after is completely absurd. Nevermind that he's seen trying to commit seppuku in front of a Heart Tree even though he's from the Dornish Marches and certainly would worship the Seven and not the Old Gods if they wanted to go with the religious homophobe angle.

Given that they rushed the wedding, it seems the Tourney was cut for budgetary reasons, but I'm sorry, the aftermath of Criston murdering someone in front of 100+ other people has to make a bit more sense than this... hopefully there will be more to it next episode before the timeskip.
My objection here is joffrey telling criston about this. It doesn't seem like he had any reason to. Even if there was a reason, you'd think there is no need for him to reveal his own proclivities. Add to that, as you mention there was an understanding between rhaenyra and laenor. An understanding that worked for both of them who were in perfectly amicable terms. Meanwhile in day -7 of their marriage one provokes the other for seemingly no reason and gets killed by the other.

Maybe people in this time period are less sensitive to such things? i think the tourney earlier in the season kinda established that. Though it would be rather flimsy reasoning...

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Okay watched the episode.In the show Daemon killed Rhea but in the books it didn't happen.The episode was going all right until the wedding scene.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Okay watched the episode.In the show Daemon killed Rhea but in the books it didn't happen.The episode was going all right until the wedding scene.
It didn't explicitly happen.... but the text is definitely suggestive. It emphasized how capable of a rider and hunter she was, the fact that she cracked her skull but recovered enough to leave bed a week later and then dropped dead not long after.

Obviously Archmaester Gyldayn's account is largely pro-Green due to his writings using sources like Septon Eustace, who very obviously hated the Targaryens and especially Rhaenyra and Daemon.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Hmmmm

Pretty interestig narrative choice at the end of the episode with Laenor not actually dying. The big problem though is what about Seasmoke??? How is Laenor going to be incognito in Essos?

This may be the seed being planted to change some things further on in the story, but I'm pretty sure it's going to alter "facts" rather than be making choices for more ambiguous things in the source material.

:lmao

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
I liked that they humanized him...only sets us up for how terrible his nephews will be.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
They cut some stuff with his daughters and shit. I think they humanized Aemond more, seeing his childhood etc, and Aegon with him not even wanting to be heir in the first place.

Just read about them not even starting production until March 2023, which means we've got a long wait for season 2...

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Iirc...Targeryans weren't considered a "major" family in Valyria....

How this family acts explains alot....to much in house fueding.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The reason they survived is because of Daenys' dreams. The only reason Aenar listened to her is probably because they had less to lose permanently moving to their outpost on Dragonstone. But they're still dragonriders, unlike the Velaryons and Celtigars.

Although there was always incest, the Westerosi incarnation of House Targaryen is just as much Velaryon as it is anything else, as Aegon the Conqueror's mother was one.

The feuding in this story here is mostly Viserys' fault though.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason they survived is because of Daenys' dreams. The only reason Aenar listened to her is probably because they had less to lose permanently moving to their outpost on Dragonstone. But they're still dragonriders, unlike the Velaryons and Celtigars.

Although there was always incest, the Westerosi incarnation of House Targaryen is just as much Velaryon as it is anything else, as Aegon the Conqueror's mother was one.

The feuding in this story here is mostly Viserys' fault though.
Totally agree...loved the actor's portrayal of him but the guy was a smuck.

Htf you let a trick like Alicent come between you and your only daughter...smh

Especially after she lost her mother...fukn dimwit lol
--- Double Post Merged, ---

All of that threatening about bastard talk...he just stands there when daemon delivers justice...not a word.

Always was all bark no bite....kinda reminds of ned in a sense

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Because he put his desires over his duty. No one but a fucking fool would marry Alicent over Laena, even grossness aside. House Velaryon at that point had half of the known dragonriders in Westeros, with Laenor on Seasmoke and Rhaenys on Meleys as well as commanded the largest navy. Corlys could have easily rebelled and took the throne at that point. Nevermind that Laena at some point after would have claimed Vhagar, which would have meant the Targs could have next to no chance of winning against them.

All of that threatening about bastard talk...he just stands there when daemon delivers justice...not a word.

Always was all bark no bite....kinda reminds of ned in a sense
Ned swung the sword just like Daemon. The only difference is Ned wouldn't have done it to someone who had his back turned to him.

Ned willfully shamed and upset his wife by claiming Jon as his own because he was honor-bound to his dead sister. Ned was too strict with honor, and his passing of that trait to Robb is what cost his heir his life too.

I'm still a bit confused by TV Daemon though. He's somehow more enigmatic to me than in the books.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Because he put his desires over his duty. No one but a fucking fool would marry Alicent over Laena, even grossness aside. House Velaryon at that point had half of the known dragonriders in Westeros, with Laenor on Seasmoke and Rhaenys on Meleys as well as commanded the largest navy. Corlys could have easily rebelled and took the throne at that point. Nevermind that Laena at some point after would have claimed Vhagar, which would have meant the Targs could have next to no chance of winning against them.

Ned swung the sword just like Daemon. The only difference is Ned wouldn't have done it to someone who had his back turned to him.
Aah...i getchu
But to me seemed Vicerys was encouraged more by otto is the reason...seemed he didnt want anyone after his wife died.

No i was refering to Vicerys and not putting his foot down.
At that moment he should have supported rhae n dae....
But only once again put then aside....like ned should have told the truth about jon...idk i found them similar in their lack of backbone in something they truly believe in...family

A war was going to happen regardless in both scenarios...jon or rhaenyra

I getcha gary about noble and all...but look at what it gets ya...
And the most noble are corrupted...