Question - Is Hiro Mashima aware of the hate he and Fairy Tail gets in the west? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Is Hiro Mashima aware of the hate he and Fairy Tail gets in the west?

CyberLance

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Fairy Tail still seems very popular in Japan from what i have seen but here in the west its one of the most hated series ever.
People here complained about many things in the series ever since the Grand Magic Games but Hiro Mashima still continued to do those things over and over until the very end.
I strongly suspect that the Japanese fans did not complain about that stuff the way the western fans did and maybe its mostly the Japanese fans these manga authors care about.
Does anybody here know if Hiro Mashima is aware of the hate he and his series gets in the west or not?

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Who knows but this sales estimate that even in Japan people got disappointed with Mashima.

It was the fourth best manga sold in 2010 and 2011,fifth best of 2012 and dropped to ninth in 2013 to a massive drop 17th in 2014 and was 15th in 2015.

And this is the last ranking

1. 5,969,851 One Piece
*2. 3,974,437 Shingeki no Kyojin
*3. 3,244,618 Kingdom
*4. 3,086,097 Haikyuu!!
*5. 2,154,752 Tokyo Ghoul:re
*6. 2,097,088 Boku no Hero Academia
*7. 1,982,356 One Punch-Man
*8. 1,881,062 Nanatsu no Taizai
*9. 1,653,403 Detective Conan
10. 1,469,092 Shokugeki no Souma

11. 1,366,004 Ao no Exorcist
12. 1,357,012 Magi
13. 1,204,705 Fairy Tail

So we can see Fairy Tail could never return to it's original position in Japan also.

If Japanese fans are this dissatisfied no wonder Western ones will be even more.And I bet Mashima must have at least heard it too,his Twitter section should give some hint.He even once said he planned to kill some characters but because of adverse fan reaction he didn't.

CyberLance

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Who knows but this sales estimate that even in Japan people got disappointed with Mashima.

It was the fourth best manga sold in 2010 and 2011,fifth best of 2012 and dropped to ninth in 2013 to a massive drop 17th in 2014 and was 15th in 2015.

1. 5,969,851 One Piece
*3. 3,244,618 Kingdom
*4. 3,086,097 Haikyuu!!

12. 1,357,012 Magi
13. 1,204,705 Fairy Tail

So we can see Fairy Tail could never return to it's original position in Japan also.

If Japanese fans are this dissatisfied no wonder Western ones will be even more.And I bet Mashima must have at least heard it too,his Twitter section should give some hint.He even once said he planned to kill some characters but because of adverse fan reaction he didn't.
Well even if Fairy Tail is not as popular as it used to be in Japan too it atlest still seems to be popular over there because they did plenty of different big Fairy Tail stuff and events long after the big hate started in the west and the series got a movie and some OVAs.
If the Japanese disliked Fairy Tail as much as the west does the anime would probably never finish and Hiro Mashima would maybe not be allowed to make a new big series like this.
And the Fairy Tail manga probably would have been cancelled a long time ago if it was like in the west.
Also planning to kill characters but later changing your mind because the fans dont like it seems to be a common thing in Japan.
I guess the problem is that it happened so many times in Fairy Tail but in other series it maybe only happens a couple times so it was way more annoying to people in Fairy Tail.

Last edited:

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Well even if Fairy Tail is not as popular as it used to be in Japan too it atlest still seems to be popular over there because they did plenty of different big Fairy Tail stuff and events long after the big hate started in the west and the series got a movie and some OVAs.
If the Japanese disliked Fairy Tail as much as the west does the anime would probably never finish and Hiro Mashima would maybe not be allowed to make a new big series like this.
And the Fairy Tail manga probably would have been cancelled a long time ago if it was like in the west.
Also planning to kill characters but later changing your mind because the fans dont like it seems to be a common thing in Japan.
I guess the problem is that it happened so many times in Fairy Tail but in other series it maybe only happens a couple times so it was way more annoying to people in Fairy Tail.
Well i suspect that there is a devoted fan group which led to it's continued popularity (even though sales fell heavily).

True it never got the hatred that it received in the west.The main reason why FT received so much hate mainly because of these things:-

1)Power of feelings.
2)Lack of Tension in the plot.
3)Fan service in wrong situations.
4)Fake deaths.

Gabo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I think they confuse the facts.

If Mashima's work were hated or despised in the West and East, they would not have offered him 81 pages for his new manga, he would not have the level of influence that he already has now and he would not be in the top 20

If the last volumes seem not to sell so much and remained for the 13th place (even within the Top 20) it is because they came out in double packages, that is, normal and special volume, which divided the profits and in Japanese they do not count them together , but separately, which makes the numbers look smaller, but if they added both, would come a much larger number, and even divided, remain in the Top 20 only indicates how good it was.

A forum is not 100% Fandom, they are only less than 20% of it, the real Fandom is out there, the one that buys, the one that supports the industry, not the one that tries to destroy it looking for complaints to everything.

Mashima has already demonstrated how good he is and I think it is notorious considering that one year after having finished his work, the number of fans of FT is still very high and many await his new work with anxiety.

What a couple of forum participants say is not the law of Manga.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I think they confuse the facts.

If Mashima's work were hated or despised in the West and East, they would not have offered him 81 pages for his new manga, he would not have the level of influence that he already has now and he would not be in the top 20

If the last volumes seem not to sell so much and remained for the 13th place (even within the Top 20) it is because they came out in double packages, that is, normal and special volume, which divided the profits and in Japanese they do not count them together , but separately, which makes the numbers look smaller, but if they added both, would come a much larger number, and even divided, remain in the Top 20 only indicates how good it was.

A forum is not 100% Fandom, they are only less than 20% of it, the real Fandom is out there, the one that buys, the one that supports the industry, not the one that tries to destroy it looking for complaints to everything.

Mashima has already demonstrated how good he is and I think it is notorious considering that one year after having finished his work, the number of fans of FT is still very high and many await his new work with anxiety.

What a couple of forum participants say is not the law of Manga.
Not only the last volume,for the last consecutive few years it could never return to top 10,and no this isn't volume sales figures,it is individual manga sales figure without counting the volume sales.

CyberLance

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
There are millions of mangas so feels to me like being number 13 in the top 20 is great.
Its not like it must be in the top 10 to prove that its a popular and generally considered great series.

Also i forgot to mention it before but Fairy Tail got many spin-offs about Sabertooth, Gray, Laxus, Gajeel, the Fairy Tail Zero spin-off and maybe more.
And now hes both creating a Fairy Tail sequel, a new Fairy Tail spin-off and the new series Edens Zero.
I dont think Hiro Mashima would be allowed to make so much stuff if he and Fairy Tail where not very popular and respected in Japan.
Fairy Tail also seems to be one of the most popular series in the Kodansha magazine its in.

So yea i think most of the hate towards him and Fairy Tail is probably in the west.
If all of that stuff that people in the west hated so much in Fairy Tail still continues to happen in Eden Zero it probably means that the Japanese fans likes it and that Hiro Mashima either is not aware of the western hate or dont care about it.

Last edited:

Gabo

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Guys, understand the logic, if people hated FT and Mashima, their work would not have reached the West, would not have existed and their numbers would be low.

Again, what is said by a small group of users in a forum is not the general opinion of the Fandom, that without forgetting that those who do the Hate only to follow the current to those who if they do not pay attention to them, make them "Bullying" only because they do not follow the flow.

It is the cry of a minority really.

A work hated as some put, would not have sold 60 million copies of their volumes (get to the Millon is a miracle for many, now imagine 60) must stop thinking that the thought of a group is not everyone's thought and understand that what some like others is not, that simple.

Do not get carried away by the shouts of office of a few, as that shows that it is so good, they can not live without being aware of it.

Rax

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros

1. 5,969,851 One Piece
*3. 3,244,618 Kingdom
*4. 3,086,097 Haikyuu!!

12. 1,357,012 Magi
13. 1,204,705 Fairy Tail

Yeah, but FT didn't has as many volumes released that year, that doesn't take digital into account, and the FT numbers don't have the spin offs included.

Gabo

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Yeah, but FT didn't has as many volumes released that year, that doesn't take digital into account, and the FT numbers don't have the spin offs included.
Take into account that many do not know what Marketing is.

FT at the most took two or three volumes per year, in the last two I take out many special volumes that divided the amount of profits by 2 (for example, volumes 62 and 63 had both editions the Unlimited Edition and the Limited Edition, in Japan they do not take both as one, but take these editions separately, then if we consider the number of numbers that come out and divide it by 2 we will see that there is at least one notorious reduction by number, but that adding the volumes generates a larger amount)

The fact that someone says that there is contempt for an author for something simple like not knowing how to add, is that it really is wrong.

I still think that it is too much to generalize for what is a personal opinion, more considering that the FT numbers are really good.

On the Kodansha website all the Spin off of FT were published, if it were not popular they would not have been published, if it was not popular or if it would have reached the end ... so I think that thinking that what one thinks is the general It's pretty laughable.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Rax it's kind of true that FT didn't release many volumes last year but what about other years.

Form 2010 to 2012 it was constantly in top 5 position which it lost to Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul.Then it fell to a position of 17 in 2014.Can you see how much sells fell?In 2016 it was rank 13,Rank in 15 in 2015.It's pretty sad to see a manga which was a top contender in top 5 fall this much.

Every popular manga has digital account sales,it is not that only Ft has it.Same with spin-offs.So the overall ranking don't change much.

Take into account that many do not know what Marketing is.

FT at the most took two or three volumes per year, in the last two I take out many special volumes that divided the amount of profits by 2 (for example, volumes 62 and 63 had both editions the Unlimited Edition and the Limited Edition, in Japan they do not take both as one, but take these editions separately, then if we consider the number of numbers that come out and divide it by 2 we will see that there is at least one notorious reduction by number, but that adding the volumes generates a larger amount)

The fact that someone says that there is contempt for an author for something simple like not knowing how to add, is that it really is wrong.

I still think that it is too much to generalize for what is a personal opinion, more considering that the FT numbers are really good.

On the Kodansha website all the Spin off of FT were published, if it were not popular they would not have been published, if it was not popular or if it would have reached the end ... so I think that thinking that what one thinks is the general It's pretty laughable.
Sales indicate my friend. If all fans in Japan were satisfied why did it's rank fell from top 5 to 17.If at least certain section of fandom didn't stop buying FT why didn't it's rank stay constant?

Ultimately sales will decide.

Do you know Attack on Titan released only 3 volumes last year without it's digital sales or spin-offs and still came in top 2.AOT is a monthly magazine unlike FT which was weekly and still going to top 2 is not a matter of joke.

FT has 60 million sales which most came in it's first half.Both FMA and AOT is monthly,But FMA has 70 million sales while AOT has 74 million+sales and still continuing.

strikefreedom

Reaction score
Country
France
Nevertheless, FT remains very well placed, 13th remains a good place.

Especially for a manga so criticized.

People I think mashima is aware of the hate on FT, but he does not care or he does not affect it.

If FT had been so bad the manga would be over for a long time, there will have been no season 2 and 3, neither OAV nor 2nd film.

On a French forum where I am there is a topic "FT unfairly criticized".

Nobody really agreed on the real reason.

The main hatred of FT also come from the Kikoo / fan boys of OP.

Who for ten years and still today criticizes FT saying that mashima has copied everything from ODA.

The famous image of OS and shishibukai.

Or shanks and gildarz.

Like those who say that FT is a manga for the handicapped, the biggest arnarch of all time, the most overpriced manga that has ever been done.

Even today it continues to say that while the manga is over.

People make bad ads on FT, if you say that you like FT it is limit if you are insulted and sometimes you get insulted or pointed fingers.

It's really anything this situation people are crazy about.

Or even among the fans those who claimed the death of character, lucy, erza, jubia, gray, wendy.

For Jubia and Gray certain said it was the right conclusion for their story, that one of the two die or both.

False death, I understand that it can get upset because mashima the over used and misused after.

For the power of friendship, this is classic it is the basis of any manga, so for that it does not bother me too much.

The fan service also a little too used.

But despite all this hate, still a lot of people love FT and want mashima to continue it rather than started Eden zero.

Who will have a big responsibility, if he walks and has success like Rave and FT it's good.

But if it does not have the expected success or no success at all, people will shout and say that /

"" He will have done better still a little FT rather than started zero eden "".

People are looking forward to season 3, hoping it is the expected change + addition, to complete the story.

And also the 2 spin off, one is the result and people expect a lot from this sequel, in the first place the pairing of nalu and jerza.

And also hope that there will be another spin off after or OAV, see a 3rd film.

But short FT remains very appreciated.

CyberLance

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I suspect that many or maybe even most people that hate on Fairy Tail are only really doing it because its a popular thing to do and people want to be part of the crowd.
Its probably a peer pressure or mob mentality thing.
People hear so much hate on Fairy Tail on the internet that they feel that they must do the same and they see other people complain about power of friendship, fanservice and other things so often that they just automatically start saying the same stuff.
I saw plenty of people complain about power of friendship and fanservice when nothing like that was even happening in the chapter.
Or maybe there was just a tiny bit if fanservice in the chapter in only like one panel or maybe the characters just said the word friend once and power of friendship and fanservice was the only things many people talked about.,

And Fairy Tail was always one of the mangas that got the most attention, views and comments.
In the old days atlest if you really did not like something you avoided it.
I suspect that many of the people that complained and hated on the series actually liked and enjoyed it but did not wanna admit it.
I saw the same people that loved to complain about the series come back every single week for many years so if they really hated the series they probably would have stopped following it and stopped caring about it a long time ago.
And like i said people hated on the series for many years ever since the Grand Magic Games arc so it was not like we were close to the end of the story when the hate started so there was no reason to continue following the series for so long if you really did not like it anymore.

Last edited:

CyberLance

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
What is called in France sheep.

People who follow the herd betement, not to be insulted or rejected.
True many people are sheep that just follow the popular opinion at the time and cant think for themselves or form there own opinions.
Or if somebody they like or admire got an opinion about something the fans automatically think the same way.
Like for example everybody used to love the Sonic Adventure games but when Game Grumps hated on them it became popular to say that they sucked and where terrible games.
The big hate on Fairy Tail started i think when popular Youtubers like King Of Lightning and some others hated on the series during the Grand Magic Games.

strikefreedom

Reaction score
Country
France
True many people are sheep that just follow the popular opinion at the time and cant think for themselves or form there own opinions.
Or if somebody they like or admire got an opinion about something the fans automatically think the same way.
Like for example everybody used to love the Sonic Adventure games but when Game Grumps hated on them it became popular to say that they sucked and where terrible games.
The big hate on Fairy Tail started i think when popular Youtubers like King Of Lightning and some others hated on the series during the Grand Magic Games.
Or even before some people said that FT would have had to finish at Tenro for the majority, or at Fantasia, I even read at phantom lord.

So it means that some people no longer liked FT or hated these arcs since we were at the beginning of FT.

The problem is that these sheep represent 3/4 of people, so that's what lowered the reputation of a manga.

While precisely these sheep have never read FT (or other manga) or just 2-3 chapter and allow spit on.

Gabo

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
The fact that so many people are expressing their positive attention for Edens Zero, that there are already so many colored pics, fan arts and even the first Cosplay of the characters, in addition to three authors who have published professionally are the same as they seem to have asked to work on FT works and see so much support from other authors to Mashima, the good reception of the new manga and demases, only shows that there is no disapproval against it and much less hatred, what a small group in the forums tries to demonstrate , is relegated to see how well he is going to Mashima with his work and influence.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He’a too busy laughing his way to the bank to care about what internet trolls think of him :lmao

CyberLance

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
He’a too busy laughing his way to the bank to care about what internet trolls think of him :lmao
Well when a series got the amount of haters and trolls that Fairy Tail got it will really hurt the series popularity and that means that the sales will greatly decrease and the creators wont be able to laugh there way to the bank anymore.
This is one of the reasons why i think the Fairy Tail and Hiro Mashima hate is only a western thing because the reason why they make so much Fairy Tail stuff and other Hiro Mashima things is probably because it earns plenty of money in Japan and that means Fairy Tail and Mashima must still be very popular and respected over there.
Its also mostly the Japanese that earn the anime and manga industry its money so thats the audience they mostly listen to and care about and that Edens Zero is still continuing the friendship and fanservice stuff that people in the west complain about so much must mean that the Japanese really likes those things and dont want him to stop doing it.

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The fact that so many people are expressing their positive attention for Edens Zero, that there are already so many colored pics, fan arts and even the first Cosplay of the characters, in addition to three authors who have published professionally are the same as they seem to have asked to work on FT works and see so much support from other authors to Mashima, the good reception of the new manga and demases, only shows that there is no disapproval against it and much less hatred, what a small group in the forums tries to demonstrate , is relegated to see how well he is going to Mashima with his work and influence.
Dude, what are you talking about? Those who support it are either fanatics or those who enjoyed rave master or early ft and read EZ to give mashima a second chance.