Question - Is Hiro Mashima aware of the hate he and Fairy Tail gets in the west? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Is Hiro Mashima aware of the hate he and Fairy Tail gets in the west?

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Real question, even if he is, why would he care? Honestly allot of the criticism I hear for FT relates directly to style choices more often than execution. Like the dislike of friendship speeches, but everybody was energized when Goku told Loren not to mess with his friends. Another perfect example being the Zeref fight. Would I have preferred more flashy spells, hell yes. Yet the critique of the one-shot victory, lgnores that Zeref and Natsu were fighting in the background of at least 8 chapters. It downplays Natsu attempts to win beforehand, like when he erased him. It's a work of fiction, and open to critiques, but it was overall a good story, despite what minor things you or I might want to change.
How about the fact the one shot has no one explanation or correlation to natsu past abilities that showed he could do it?

Cosmicstar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How about the fact the one shot has no one explanation or correlation to natsu past abilities that showed he could do it?
Flame of Emotion was first brought up in Chapter 19 when Natsu battled Erigor.

Also him burning Magic away has been brought up a couple of times: Once against Zero and another against Sting.

So everything he did against Zeref really isn't anything new.

So overall it does correlate with his previous abilities. Now rather he should have won or not is another story but what he show in battle correlates with his previous power showings from over 100 chapters before this even came out.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Flame of Emotion was first brought up in Chapter 19 when Natsu battled Erigor.

Also him burning Magic away has been brought up a couple of times: Once against Zero and another against Sting.

So everything he did against Zeref really isn't anything new.

So overall it does correlate with his previous abilities. Now rather he should have won or not is another story but what he show in battle correlates with his previous power showings from over 100 chapters before this even came out.
Flames of emotion was never built up as bing capable of destroying infinite magic. It burn away and protected natsu from attacks, but never was it implied that it worked on a immaterial soul like level to destroying something immaterial like FH. If it could do that, why was it necessary to combine the magic of every dragon slayer?

Cosmicstar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Flames of emotion was never built up as bing capable of destroying infinite magic. It burn away and protected natsu from attacks, but never was it implied that it worked on a immaterial soul like level to destroying something immaterial like FH. If it could do that, why was it necessary to combine the magic of every dragon slayer?
My point was that the basics of the concept were already planned out ahead of time. Him being able to burn away at magic and him being able to increase his power through emotions had already been put into play at least 200 chapter prior to the Zeref fight. You said it had no correlation to his past abilities in which case it did. Natsu didn't destroy an infinite amount of power he destroyed the attacks Zeref was using. Then he damaged Zeref.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
My point was that the basics of the concept were already planned out ahead of time. Him being able to burn away at magic and him being able to increase his power through emotions had already been put into play at least 200 chapter prior to the Zeref fight. You said it had no correlation to his past abilities in which case it did. Natsu didn't destroy an infinite amount of power he destroyed the attacks Zeref was using. Then he damaged Zeref.
FH was destroyed as well.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Whether or not it was foreshadowed,it still doesn't change the fact that Flames of Emotion defeating FH Zeref was the epitome of bad writing.

LaGOAT

Reaction score
Country
United States
And that powerup itself was inconsistent if POE was that powerful he wouldn’t have needed to train nor get all these other power ups. It was a lame excuse for natsu to win his fights through pure BS

CyberLance

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Only a very short time ago most people on the internet said that Black Clover was generic trash but now after Forneverworld made a video about how much he likes the series most people suddenly seems to think the series is great.
Just a bunch of freaking hypocritites and sheep that cant form there own freaking opinions.

Most videos about Black Clover said the series was terrible not that long ago but now after a big anime youtuber like Forneverworld likes the series its suddenly good.

This is just like what i said about how most people used to like Fairy Tail but once King Of Lightning said the series was trash it became a popular thing to hate on Fairy Tail.
If a popular guy on youtube says something about a series, movie, game and other stuff then most people will automatically have the same opinion.

Everybody used to love the Sonic Adventure games but when Game Grumps hated on them everybody started to think about them as terrible games.

I like the Nostalgia Critic for example but there has been a big bunch of times where i did not agree with him or get really annoyed by something he says but most people seems to think his opinions and everything he says must be right only because hes so popular.

Last edited:

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only a very short time ago most people on the internet said that Black Clover was generic trash but now after Forneverworld made a video about how much he likes the series most people suddenly seems to think the series is great.
Just a bunch of freaking hypocritites and sheep that cant form there own freaking opinions.

This is just like what i said about how most people used to like Fairy Tail but once King Of Lightning said the series was trash it became a popular thing to hate on Fairy Tail.
If a popular guy on youtube says something about a series, movie, game and other stuff then most people will automatically have the same opinion.

Everybody used to love the Sonic Adventure games but when Game Grumps hated on them everybody started to think about them as terrible games.

I like the Nostalgia Critic for example but there has been a big bunch of times where i did not agree with him or get really annoyed by something he says but most people seems to think everything he says must be right only because hes so popular.
I've encountered no one who thinks black clover is great. The most i've heard from everyone who reads it is that it's okay.... at best. They compared it to fast food or a cheap eat out place. There's no hiding what it is, you know what it is, no surprises, but you might find it good in the mood.

Everyone I know that dislikes FT, read it. And say that it was decent series at the beginning, but took a nose dive down the line.

Dude sonic adventures sucked.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've encountered no one who thinks black clover is great. The most i've heard from everyone who reads it is that it's okay.... at best. They compared it to fast food or a cheap eat out place. There's no hiding what it is, you know what it is, no surprises, but you might find it good in the mood.

Everyone I know that dislikes FT, read it. And say that it was decent series at the beginning, but took a nose dive down the line.

Dude sonic adventures sucked.
That's the most real analogy of Black Clover I've read yet. Sure it's good for a bit of mindless fun, much the way Fairy Tail is now. But you're right in believing that people's opinions aren't always born of some random youtuber I've never heard of. Saying that Fairy Tail didn't decline is simple folly.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's the most real analogy of Black Clover I've read yet. Sure it's good for a bit of mindless fun, much the way Fairy Tail is now. But you're right in believing that people's opinions aren't always born of some random youtuber I've never heard of. Saying that Fairy Tail didn't decline is simple folly.
Can't agree more.

It's also ignorant to say that everyone based their opinions on some youtuber. Sure there are sheep people who followed some guy, but to think everyone is like that or everyone who disliked a series did so to follow someone is just folly.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Lmao i was triggered before I watched KOL video of FT...LmL. A Lot of critics can agree FT decline came after its Timeskip during the magic games arc..boi was that arc bad...& from their it continued to drop the ball or redeem itself during criticals plot points,execution, and story development. If I'm honest Yes its fun to hate in FT because i personally should have bailed out during thr Grand magic games arc or even shortly after, but i invested more time into something that wasn't going to live up to expectations.

Black Clover i can say i have heard it eas thrash well mostly the anime..and ive heard why but ive also hesrd that it was an ok series..I personally think my taste have outgrown such series.

But Yea its fun to hate in FT because its quality declined and continued like nothing ive personally seen before and to have like something and watch it become uninteresting to cringe worthy moments its gonns get roasted.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Are you reading BC still Spirit?I dropped it some time back,generic cliché shounen series.

Lmao i was triggered before I watched KOL video of FT...LmL. A Lot of critics can agree FT decline came after its Timeskip during the magic games arc..boi was that arc bad...& from their it continued to drop the ball or redeem itself during criticals plot points,execution, and story development. If I'm honest Yes its fun to hate in FT because i personally should have bailed out during thr Grand magic games arc or even shortly after, but i invested more time into something that wasn't going to live up to expectations.

Black Clover i can say i have heard it eas thrash well mostly the anime..and ive heard why but ive also hesrd that it was an ok series..I personally think my taste have outgrown such series.

But Yea its fun to hate in FT because its quality declined and continued like nothing ive personally seen before and to have like something and watch it become uninteresting to cringe worthy moments its gonns get roasted.
Ft was really great till Tenrou.This was the series which brought me into the anime world.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you reading BC still Spirit?I dropped it some time back,generic cliché shounen series.

Ft was really great till Tenrou.This was the series which brought me into the anime world.
Huh I thought Tenrou, excluding Tartaros, was the last good FT arc.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Huh I thought Tenrou, excluding Tartaros, was the last good FT arc.
Definetly Tenrou is my favourite arc,sad that Hiro couldn' keep that quality except for Tartaros.

Last edited:

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Yea I forgot about the Tartaros arc...That was the last time FT made sense to me. Imo the author suffered from delivering too much fan service...

Erza's victories during Tenrou Island, Tartaros arc , and vs Her Mother are all stupid bad writing to wherr disbelief Cant be suspended. These moments are all cringy and it happed repeatedly with the character all the way to the end.