Joint Review of D. Gray Man 212: Searching for A.W. / Calling For You | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Joint Review of D. Gray Man 212: Searching for A.W. / Calling For You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko_kun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Long Term Prediction - D. Gray-man 212 Night: Searching for A.W. - Calling for You

The chapter ends with Allen blacking out and Link suddenly coming into the picture. For this prediction, I will focus on two basic parts. One being the Internal Conflict part of the ark, and two being the External Conflict. With the way things are going, I believe it isn't to far off to say that we are now entering something like 'The Growth of Allen Walker' ark. Hoshino did mention it in an interview, and Johnny did as well in 212 page 27.

Going deeper into the Internal Conflict part of this prediction, I'd like to emphasize a few things:

"Don't let him sleep", I quote. "If you do, it'll be his end. Allen will be swallowed deep within and disappear." - from Ch 202 - p. 32 and again from Ch 212 - p. 09.
"THANK YOU!! ALLEN WALKER'S NOW GONE! <3" - Ch 198 p. 10
And Ch 206 focusing on Cross' conversation with Baba about Allen being merely a vessel to be taken over by the 14th.

So far those parts of the manga have been repeatedly hinting on Allen being totally consumed by the 14th. Now that Allen has fallen asleep during the change, the prospect of the above happening isn't something we can scratch out that easily.

But of course, what is a good plot without a loophole or contradiction of sorts no? Well, seeing as how Hoshino pulled a counter phenomenon with Ch 203 p. 17 with Cross saying "When we first met, he didn't call himself 'Allen'..." and the "Should have noticed the mistake sooner!", I can now conclude that she has an awesome way of messing with our brains so much that events are almost unpredictable.

The next few chapters will possibly cover more about the 14th, Mana, and maybe a hint of why not noticing 'Allen' not being Allen before was a mistake. Whatever type of mistake it is though, I believe it will be something really important, and will probably be a reason why Allen cannot be completely erased. It might even touch the mystery of Allens birth and the reason he was born with Innocence in the first place.

For the second part of the prediction, we might be seeing a mot more action.

Lets remember that the Noah's deliberately left Allen alone to lure the Apocryphos to them. With Allen changing and judging by Apo's time of appearance when that first happen, he'll be alive and kicking in the next few chapter. Apocryphos will probably want to get to Allen before everything is too late and there will be an interception between by the Noahs. Apo will focus on Allen, the Noah's on Apo for the time being, Kanda + Link on keeping both sides away....and Johnny on keeping Allen away from the battlefield. The cycle will probably continue until Allen wakes up and changes the flow of the fight with his decision.

PS: I'm not exactly confident with this yet so please tell me what I need to do to improve the next time around. Seriously, how did I do? :sweat
i think that you were great! :super was deep and interesting (:

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

this is gonna be good alpha.

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Yeah, bro! :hip

But don't spam the various JR threads anymore. Bene's gonna get angry.

---------- Post added March 09, 2012 at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was March 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM ----------

O.K. fellas, we have some small troubles. I got really no extra spare time, so I'll have to crop my art corner and I don't think I'll be able to edit all of your stuff into one review. So, variant a, Cez takes over and becomes the new BAMF reviewer around this place, or we postpone the deadline of this review for another week, two and I'll try finishing things my way. Personally, I'm for the Cez variant, but it's up to you to decide.

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
As Alpha pointed out, it's important to have teams that work well together, we're a team afterall :)
So for that reason, I would like anyone to speak out if you got problems with me, now or later. I won't take offence or be hurt, you're always free to speak up, and I'll make this very clear from here on and out.

Alpha and benelori are still in charge, as you know if you checked the Headquater thread lately :)
What we need to do, is to make the work happen, and show a presentation to them of our work before it goes official, and preferably a while before our final deadlines.

When Alpha gets more time again, things might change, we'll see by then :)

Drop a message, let us know if you're still up for the challenges, we need to know if you're still around and your point of views.

That was the formal message, as for everyone here, Lets get this party rocking :3
We're gonna make a kick ass D.Gray-Man review, and we need everyone and your skills for it to happen :)

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I agree (: In one way or another, we all want this project to get finished really good right? :) Lets do our best anyway lol

unknownymous

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I don't mind at all, and I'm still up for this. What's more important is that we get this out, work as a team, do our best, and never forget to have fun while we're at it. :super

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Just my 2 cents. Everything aside the Impressions section is already finished in this review. Theoretically, that section should have been divided between Cez and Kisame, howeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever, I think that for intentional purposes' sake(?) we should just let Kisame write this one and leave Cez with the organizational aspect. Right now we need a new captain. Not a new reviewer.

My POV.

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Just my 2 cents. Everything aside the Impressions section is already finished in this review. Theoretically, that section should have been divided between Cez and Kisame, howeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever, I think that for intentional purposes' sake(?) we should just let Kisame write this one and leave Cez with the organizational aspect. Right now we need a new captain. Not a new reviewer.

My POV.
We just need the impressions right? So, Kisame should speed this up xDD because our deadline is coming...

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
We just need the impressions right? So, Kisame should speed this up xDD because our deadline is coming...
Well, we had all the organizational problems stuff, so I think we could cut him some slack here. Besides, Cez is the one in charge now, so actually it's him who makes the D.GM decisions now.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Cez, clean your inbox. I need to be able to send you PMs. :oh

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Apparently you can only have 50 PMs in contrary to normal 1.500 PMs in the time between changing your MH account e-mail till you accept the new registration e-mail sended out :sweat

Alrighty, wrote Kisame a PM, hopefully he'll be around soon :)
If he's not, I'll do the last part for this week.
If there is any volunteers, then that fine as well, but lets wait another 2 days and see if he comes about.

So hopefully, we'll be finished very soon so people got time to read the review before the next D.Gray-Man chapter, the 4th April :)

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Here is a VERY rough compile of everything so far.

Please check for any errors, corrections, suggestions and what not that could be improved :)

Problems that needs a fix:

• How should we credit people who wrote each section/artists?
  • You want your full account name in credits or prefer your nick?
  • Can someone make a banner for Analsys? (Looking at Niko with puppy eyes) hihi
  • I placed the Joint Review banner last in the Review, cause it looks awesome ending the Review with it. It looks like there are signatures on the image, and normally you put these late. (Any impression on this, should we do it differently?).
  • Ideas on replacing banners with Headlines? Completely or semi? For example, short term predictions and long term predictions seems a bit bold when put in text. Banners would be flashy if this is possibly to provide :)
  • Still no Impressions (Should come soon but feel free to discuss on if any thoughts).
  • There has been no editing done to the individual texts, once we start doing that, we'll go through it together. First we need the above problems solved.

Fixed: [*]I put everyone's names in Reviewer colours, hopefully this won't be a problem. Hope benelori has an answer for this.
    Technically spoken, it's just coloured names, but if it's a problem that they kinda "imitate" the Reviewer ranks while not having the rank yet, then it will be removed.
    What it tries to express is that credits goes to a reviewer in sense, to make the credit visible to the reader, but not to make people think people actually have the rank (or yet) {The latter is the problem}.
    We'll have to see :)

Analysis by Jamie
The chapter begins with Johnny and Kanda chasing after Allen. However, Kanda notices a sinister-looking silhouette that was, in turn, following after them. The way the silhouette was vaguely formed is interesting, because it could be a number of characters, including Fiddler, Link, or even Lulu Bell, whose human form matched the silhouette (not to mention her troubling shapeshifting abilities, which are underused by Hoshino). Throughout the chapter, Kanda repeatedly notices this mysterious person following them, which is Hoshino's way of saying "THIS IS GOING TO BE IMPORTANT GUYS!" But more on that later...

Allen is, once again, succumbing to the Fourteenth's memories, but this time it seems like it's actually going to happen. He also has an interesting hallucination. It's unclear whether Allen was just imagining what he saw, or if he actually saw a bit of Nea's memories. Either way, it is very obvious that it was a younger version of Mana asking Nea if he hates him. The fact that Allen never saw the younger Mana before (Mana was a middle aged man when they first met in the canon novel D.Gray-man Reverse 3) is what really leads me to believe that it was indeed Nea's memory of the past. I hope Hoshino expands on this in the (near) future instead of teasing us even more.

In the next scene, Kanda and Johnny come to the conclusion that Crown Clown is still protecting Allen despite the fact that he's a Noah. This is an extremely significant revelation. It shows that the Innocence has the same "ends justify the means" stance as the Order and, most importantly, that Nea may not be as evil as he appears. Crown Clown's behavior also addresses the massive plot hole about why Allen isn't dead yet since he's a Noah with an Innocence attached to his body. Jasdevi's arm practically mutated when he came into contact with Innocence, so it was always curious why Allen wasn't affected by the Innocence he was always in contact with.

Hoshino could pull another deus ex machina to delay Nea's awakening, but I don't think it would be in the best interest of the story. The perfect pieces are now in place for Allen to turn into the Fourteenth. Johnny, Allen's biggest supporter, Kanda, who owes Allen a great debt, and the suspiciously not-dead Link, who was revealed to be Kanda's stalker during the cliffhanger ending. It's quite possible that Link is Lulu Bell in disguise, but I personally believe that it is indeed the real Link at the end of the chapter. Remember when Lvellie asked Zu to save Link because he needed Link to save Allen (and the Fourteenth)? It is likely that Zu saved Link's life, which resulted in Zu's death because he had already used up most of his life force on healing Allen during the Alma Karma arc. It is likely that we will find out what Lvellie wants Link to do in the next chapter. Unfortunately there is a hiatus next month, which is just cruel on top of the cliffhanger, but Hoshino hasn't disappointed in these last few months. Next chapter should be a great one!

Written by Kisame

(Empty field)

Written by Niko short term, & Anon long term predictions.

Short term prediction
Since Allen is fighting with the 14th memories, its a half sure that we could see a little more of this memories, but an akuma could suddenly appear and f*cks everything because Kanda is out there with –is really him?-Link.

That is another interesting point, I can’t be so sure that is Link in the last page. Since I saw that necklace that apo-chan has. I was wondering why would he appear and hide himself? He has nothing to hide right? ANd then, more possibilities came to me, if that is Lullubel –that we haven’t seen since chapter 195, and it wasn’t in action- or even Cross? But Cross’s possibility was eliminated when I realized that he doesn’t k now what happened to link –i guess.

To next chapter, I’m really waiting for Lavi –what seems really improbable- but, I guess the most important thing will be what’s Link's goal and will Allen win against 14th’s memories? It’s time to see a little conversation between them?

Long term Prediction
The chapter ends with Allen blacking out and Link suddenly coming into the picture. For this prediction, I will focus on two basic parts. One being the Internal Conflict part of the ark, and two being the External Conflict. With the way things are going, I believe it isn't to far off to say that we are now entering something like 'The Growth of Allen Walker' ark. Hoshino did mention it in an interview, and Johnny did as well in 212 page 27.

Going deeper into the Internal Conflict part of this prediction, I'd like to emphasize a few things:

"Don't let him sleep", I quote. "If you do, it'll be his end. Allen will be swallowed deep within and disappear." - from Ch 202 - p. 32 and again from Ch 212 - p. 09.
And Ch 206 focusing on Cross' conversation with Baba about Allen being merely a vessel to be taken over by the 14th.

So far those parts of the manga have been repeatedly hinting on Allen being totally consumed by the 14th. Now that Allen has fallen asleep during the change, the prospect of the above happening isn't something we can scratch out that easily.

But of course, what is a good plot without a loophole or contradiction of sorts no? Well, seeing as how Hoshino pulled a counter phenomenon with Ch 203 p. 17 with Cross saying "When we first met, he didn't call himself 'Allen'..." and the "Should have noticed the mistake sooner!", I can now conclude that she has an awesome way of messing with our brains so much that events are almost unpredictable.

The next few chapters will possibly cover more about the 14th, Mana, and maybe a hint of why not noticing 'Allen' not being Allen before was a mistake. Whatever type of mistake it is though, I believe it will be something really important, and will probably be a reason why Allen cannot be completely erased. It might even touch the mystery of Allens birth and the reason he was born with Innocence in the first place.

Lets remember that the Noah's deliberately left Allen alone to lure the Apocryphos to them. With Allen changing and judging by Apo's time of appearance when that first happen, he'll be alive and kicking in the next few chapter. Apocryphos will probably want to get to Allen before everything is too late and there will be an interception between by the Noahs. Apo will focus on Allen, the Noah's on Apo for the time being, Kanda + Link on keeping both sides away....and Johnny on keeping Allen away from the battlefield. The cycle will probably continue until Allen wakes up and changes the flow of the fight with his decision.

All images by Niko

How we split the work in future D.Gray-Man reviews will be discussed once we're done.
For now, if Kisame doesn't appear soon, someone will have to take Impressions.
I might do it, unless someone strongly feel they want to do it :amuse
But before letting the cat out of the bag, lets see if Kisame comes back.

Conclusion? :3
Well I think it looks pretty nice, but still lots of work to get done in the details :)
What do you girls and guys think? Anything you want to change?

---------- Post added March 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was March 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM ----------

Inspiration across Teams (Maybe Alpha or I will make a thread for all teams to use later or put it in a data thread)
Will add more if I see more Joint Reviews released.

Bleach Joint Review http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/75625-Joint-Review-of-Bleach-483-Kriegs-ErKlarung

Last edited:

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

• I placed the Joint Review banner last in the Review, cause it looks awesome ending the Review with it. It looks like there are signatures on the image, and normally you put these late. (Any impression on this, should we do it differently?).
  • Ideas on replacing banners with Headlines? Completely or semi? For example, short term predictions and long term predictions seems a bit bold when put in text. Banners would be flashy if this is possibly to provide :)
  • Still no Impressions (Should come soon but feel free to discuss on if any thoughts).
  • There has been no editing done to the individual texts, once we start doing that, we'll go through it together. First we need the above problems solved.
  • I put everyone's names in Reviewer colours, hopefully this won't be a problem. Hope benelori has an answer for this.
    Technically spoken, it's just coloured names, but if it's a problem that they kinda "imitate" the Reviewer ranks while not having the rank yet, then it will be removed.
    What it tries to express is that credits goes to a reviewer in sense, to make the credit visible to the reader, but not to make people think people actually have the rank (or yet) {The latter is the problem}.
    We'll have to see :)
I think that the way the sections are separated with its reviewer is good, without the full names.
I don't mind that the banner is in the end, i agree with what u said (:
And yes, I can make a analysis banner (:

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I think that the way the sections are separated with its reviewer is good, without the full names.
I don't mind that the banner is in the end, i agree with what u said (:
And yes, I can make a analysis banner (:
That is just totally awesome, looking forward to see it :)

Also if anyone wants to put chapter pictures into their sections?
If you check the Bleach Review for example, they did a nice job with chapter images, and some hit hard, like the picture of Yama-Jii was excellent, imho.
Found here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/75625-Joint-Review-of-Bleach-483-Kriegs-ErKlarung

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
images from the chapter would be nice, but i think that just in the analysis :)

Last edited:

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Cheers Niko, now it looks much more complete :)

Alright, here is an update, and for some updates to come this will function as an anchor post where the edits will be keeped. This is avoid spam of these extra posts.

Thoughts on the layout so far? Ideas? Bring em up :)

Update changings been made:
- Sized the banners to 60% of original size, thoughts? Should they be bigger or smaller?
- Centralized the signature image, keeped it at 90% original size.
- Added a title to the Review, should probably be changed later.

Keep in mind that we're a team, if you would like to change something or revert something changed back, just post :)

D.Gray-Man 212 Joint Review!

Written by Jamie

The chapter begins with Johnny and Kanda chasing after Allen. However, Kanda notices a sinister-looking silhouette that was, in turn, following after them. The way the silhouette was vaguely formed is interesting, because it could be a number of characters, including Fiddler, Link, or even Lulu Bell, whose human form matched the silhouette (not to mention her troubling shapeshifting abilities, which are underused by Hoshino). Throughout the chapter, Kanda repeatedly notices this mysterious person following them, which is Hoshino's way of saying "THIS IS GOING TO BE IMPORTANT GUYS!" But more on that later...

Allen is, once again, succumbing to the Fourteenth's memories, but this time it seems like it's actually going to happen. He also has an interesting hallucination. It's unclear whether Allen was just imagining what he saw, or if he actually saw a bit of Nea's memories. Either way, it is very obvious that it was a younger version of Mana asking Nea if he hates him. The fact that Allen never saw the younger Mana before (Mana was a middle aged man when they first met in the canon novel D.Gray-man Reverse 3) is what really leads me to believe that it was indeed Nea's memory of the past. I hope Hoshino expands on this in the (near) future instead of teasing us even more.

In the next scene, Kanda and Johnny come to the conclusion that Crown Clown is still protecting Allen despite the fact that he's a Noah. This is an extremely significant revelation. It shows that the Innocence has the same "ends justify the means" stance as the Order and, most importantly, that Nea may not be as evil as he appears. Crown Clown's behavior also addresses the massive plot hole about why Allen isn't dead yet since he's a Noah with an Innocence attached to his body. Jasdevi's arm practically mutated when he came into contact with Innocence, so it was always curious why Allen wasn't affected by the Innocence he was always in contact with.

Hoshino could pull another deus ex machina to delay Nea's awakening, but I don't think it would be in the best interest of the story. The perfect pieces are now in place for Allen to turn into the Fourteenth. Johnny, Allen's biggest supporter, Kanda, who owes Allen a great debt, and the suspiciously not-dead Link, who was revealed to be Kanda's stalker during the cliffhanger ending. It's quite possible that Link is Lulu Bell in disguise, but I personally believe that it is indeed the real Link at the end of the chapter. Remember when Lvellie asked Zu to save Link because he needed Link to save Allen (and the Fourteenth)? It is likely that Zu saved Link's life, which resulted in Zu's death because he had already used up most of his life force on healing Allen during the Alma Karma arc. It is likely that we will find out what Lvellie wants Link to do in the next chapter. Unfortunately there is a hiatus next month, which is just cruel on top of the cliffhanger, but Hoshino hasn't disappointed in these last few months. Next chapter should be a great one!

Written by Kisame

(Empty field)

Written by Niko short term, & Anon long term predictions.

Short term prediction
Since Allen is fighting with the 14th memories, its a half sure that we could see a little more of this memories, but an akuma could suddenly appear and f*cks everything because Kanda is out there with –is really him?-Link.

That is another interesting point, I can’t be so sure that is Link in the last page. Since I saw that necklace that apo-chan has. I was wondering why would he appear and hide himself? He has nothing to hide right? ANd then, more possibilities came to me, if that is Lullubel –that we haven’t seen since chapter 195, and it wasn’t in action- or even Cross? But Cross’s possibility was eliminated when I realized that he doesn’t k now what happened to link –i guess.

To next chapter, I’m really waiting for Lavi –what seems really improbable- but, I guess the most important thing will be what’s Link's goal and will Allen win against 14th’s memories? It’s time to see a little conversation between them?

Long term Prediction

All images by Niko

Last edited:

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The images are really strange... I think that the format should be like i have posted before (: now they are losing quality D:

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
The images are really strange... I think that the format should be like i have posted before (: now they are losing quality D:
hmm odd, maybe it's something to do with the BB codes? Will have to do some research on that.
They're basically the same pictures you posted, even comes from the same source (where you uploaded them, try check their addresses).

It works like this:
PHP:
 [img=50% 50%]     [/img]
Which is half size of original size :)

I suspect it might be the scaling that ruins the quality, so maybe that just doesn't work.

Last edited:

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
hmm odd, maybe it's something to do with the BB codes? Will have to do some research on that.
They're basically the same pictures you posted, even comes from the same source (where you uploaded them, try check their addresses).

It works like this:
PHP:
 [img=50% 50%]     [/img]
Which is half size of original size :)

I suspect it might be the scaling that ruins the quality, so maybe that just doesn't work.
oh I'm sorry! It was my navigator (i'm using safari) but in Mozilla they are ok!! ˆˆ sorry again :D

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
oh I'm sorry! It was my navigator (i'm using safari) but in Mozilla they are ok!! ˆˆ sorry again :D
Nothing to be sorry about, it helped in more ways :)
For one, we now know we need to watch out using the resize on the forum board, since not all use standard browsers to support the coding, this is important.
Instead of worry about which browser supports it, we can just change the actual size in photoshop or similar and no problems will arise.

On a personal level I'm slowly learning website design, so this knowledge is gold in more ways <3 Cheers :super

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I copied the review to the OP so that you won't have to search 6 pages to find the actual review. For future occasions, always check out the OP.

Here is a VERY rough compile of everything so far.

Please check for any errors, corrections, suggestions and what not that could be improved :)

I'm not a real fan of selfboasting. That's why it's "A Joint Review" and not "A Joint Review by aaa, bbb and ccc," at the very beginning of the review. However, I agree with the idea of writing the reviewer's name after the section banner. We'll have to apply this idea in the other reviews as well. Both the section baners and the reviewer's name mentioning. Although, I think we will have standard section banners for all reviews, but that's still a question.

ST and LT predictions are two "sub-sections" of the actual predictions section. It is only now, in the beginner stage, that those two are so "visually" divided in two. In the future, when you guys will become more experienced, the predictions will become more... "full", you won't strictly distuingiush between ST and LT predictions, it will become all mixed up.

Long story short. There's no point for ST and LT predictions banners. I'm not even sure about making the "Short Term Predictions" and "Long Terms Predictions" bold.

I agree on the last part. Let's wait for the impressions to appear, after that the editing can begin.

Also if anyone wants to put chapter pictures into their sections?
If you check the Bleach Review for example, they did a nice job with chapter images, and some hit hard, like the picture of Yama-Jii was excellent, imho.
Found here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/75625-Joint-Review-of-Bleach-483-Kriegs-ErKlarung
All done by me, you know :jk

On that note, let me warn you that making these "chapter images" can result in both epic wins as well as epic fails, so it's a double edged sword. If you make them funny, people will love you, if you won't... well, haters gonna hate.

Although, we could divide them all between all the reviewers and everyone would write one of these "chapter images".

images from the chapter would be nice, but i think that just in the analysis :)
Yeah, awesome banner :thumbs

On a side note, I think that the "Predictions" text in the predictions banner needs a black border. The "c" kinda overlaps with the white background and it becomes hardly visible. In order to keep a consistency the same black border needs to be added to the other banners as well.

Whaddya think about this, niko?

Update changings been made:
- Sized the banners to 60% of original size, thoughts? Should they be bigger or smaller?
- Centralized the signature image, keeped it at 90% original size.
- Added a title to the Review, should probably be changed later.

Keep in mind that we're a team, if you would like to change something or revert something changed back, just post :)
Yep, I still haven't figured out the size. Let's wait for the impressions, we can decide after that.

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
like this ? (:

Status
Not open for further replies.