Fantasy - King vs Katakuri | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fantasy King vs Katakuri

Who wins

• Katakuri

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • King

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Pirate Queen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm surprised this hasn't become a thread yet, but I'd be more than happy to create it.

Vs

Below I'm going to break down what I feel is the most important pros and cons for the 2 Right Hand Men. By now you all know my stance so I'm not sugar coating anything. I think Katakuri takes this comfortably. But I'm going to do my part to be as impartial as possible. I may fail, but I will try my best.

I'm going to break down the 2 fighters into several categories I feel are going to decide the outcome of this fight.

Battle IQ
CoA
CoO
CoC
Stamina
Defense/Speed
AP
Devil Fruit
Fighting Style
Hax

I'm going to begine with my picks for each category and go from there:

Battle IQ: Katakuri>King
CoA: Katakuri> King
CoO: Katakuri>King
CoC: Katakuri>King
Stamina: Katakuri>King
Defense/Speed: Katakuri=King
AP:Katakuri<King
Devil Fruit Mastery: Katakuri>King
Fighting Style: Katakuri = King
Hax: Katakuri>King

Now I am going to begin with battle IQ.

I feel like 50% of a top tier battle in One Piece is how well you know your opponent. In a fight between Katakuri and King, i feel like they know eachother well enough. The context is that Yonko executives dont much meet in combat often and this is proven by Big Mom's interaction with both King and Kaido. As if she hadn't seen them in decades, or even if she had a personal interaction with King. But of the 2(King and Katakuri) Katakuri adapted to Luffy's fighting style far quicker than King did to Zoro.

In fact Katakuri wasted no time in proving how much better he was at Luffy's own fighting style, showing advanced versions of his technique so quickly that Luffy was instantly overwhelmed. Displaying his ability to adapt to Luffy's DF in ways we had not seen in OP. In fact when Luffy managed to catch Katakuri kept adapting to superceded Luffy's ability.

Now King was In a similar situation overwhelmed Zoro by knocking Zoro out of Onigashima and to its outskirts while gloating. It started as almost the same fight. King even went out of his way to claim that while he was not a swordsman he would fight Zoro as a swordman even saying "Fine. I'LL GIVE YOU A SWORD FIGHT!" Despite it not being his most efficient way of combating Zoro and the difference between Katakuri and King here is that when King adjusts back to a fighting style that he proves his superiority over Zoro. He overwhelms Zoro easily but in the apex of the fight reverts to a fighting style that not only matches Zoro as a swordsman, NEVER EVEN ENTERS HIS STRONGEST FORM WHICH IS HYBRID.

This is his biggest flaw. King never uses his strongest form against Zoro. Everyone who reads One Piece weekly knows Zoans hybrid are their strongest form and King doesn't use it at all at the top of the fight. Whether mistaken or not, it proves King's battle IQ is just garbage compared to Katakuri.

King never adapted to Zoro's growth over the course of the fight.

CoA
The next category is hotly contested because the usage of ACoA has been used to describe Katakuri's use of Block Mochi.

While Block Mochi is not defined like typical ACoA( like Barrier or Internal Damage) Katakuri does define it as something that surpasses armament. Block Mochi is defined as compressed Mochi coated in high level hardening which surpasses typical use of armament:

Now to revert to King's usage of CoA which is limited to King coating his blade in CoA. But even worse, King is lax I. Using CoA with his blade: below are panels of King countering Zoro with his blade NOT COATED IN HAKI while Zoro is using Advanced CoC:

This further supplements my issue with King's battle IQ being less than Katakuri's who constantly countered Luffy with Block Mochi and CoA hardening g.

CoO
Not much explanation needed. Future Sight is the pinnacle of CoO and Katakuri has complete mastery of it where as King barely has shown usage of eve it's most basic form

CoC
We now know CoC shows not only potential of its wielder but the ability to augment attacks even in its basic form. Katakuri has CoC where as Katakuri doesn't

Stamina
my most disliked stat because Oda's introduction into days long fights but it has to be addressed.

King was defeated within 15 minutes wheres as every other YC1 shown to fight has fought for longer. Marco and Katakuri both showed ability to fight for longer amounts of time than King. Even to argue Katakuri fought a much weaker Luffy is folly because Luffy was at least a YC2 during their confrontation and not some scrub. Katakuri didn't start respecting Luffy til much larger in their fight. HOURS later.

Katakuri fought a YC 2 Luffy for 12+ hours whereas King couldnt go the distance with Zoro who was equally between a YC 2 (or 1) after their fight. Even if you want to say Zoro was 2 times stronger than Luffy was when he fought Katakuri, add in the fact that King never used Hybrid form and Didn't use CoA at critical times during the course of his fight with Zoro

Defense/Speed:

I had to combine both these feats because of how interconnected the 2 categories are for these 2.

King has greater defense over Katakuri while in Flame mode but will need to sacrifice that invulnerability due to Katakuri's speed and ability to avoid any damage King might bring.

Attack Power

King had shown overwhelming offensive power over Katakuri with his finisher

Devil Fruit

Katakuri has shown mastery over his Devil Fruit with Awakening:

Where as King didn't even use his Hybrid form for his attacks during the end game of his fight. Again, Hybrid is a zoans users strongest form. There is no debating this.

King's strongest and most useful attack against Zoro was his weird stretched out beck but never uses it after a certain point.

King never showed the mastery of his DF whereas Katakuri showed a mastery of his DF that can only be comparable to the best DF users of the series.

Fighting Style:

I think they are both equal with neither having a clear superiority over the other.

I think King's flames would have a superior reaction to Katakuri's Mochi but I have no definitive evidence of this other than real world physics that should be kept out of One Piece fights.

It would come down to who could produce more. Can King produce more flames or can Katakuri produce more Mochi?

I feel it's equal.

Hax:

I don't think Katakuri's Fiture Sight is less Hax than King's Flame Mode.

King's hax is far more exploitable that Kata's and thus Karakuri takes this easily.

Hopefully this thread keeps the topic for convolution the powet levels thread...

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
Haki:

Observation Haki:

Katakuri >>> King. No explanation needed

Armament Haki:
King ~ Katakuri. Around same level
Yeah, King has good armament haki. There is a reason his sword didn't break after getting hit by Zoro's three swords, and Zoro has great armament haki and has advanced armament. As far as we know, King doesn't even have some grade swords or anything, his sword is lesser quality than Zoro's. If it didn't break, it is because King's own armament haki is around the ballpark of Zoro's own.

Conqueror's haki:
Katakuri >>>
King doesn't have it.

Combat stats:

Attack power:

King >> Katakuri.
Offense/speed type ancient Zoan.
Magma esque flames when he goes all out.
Plus, his physical attacks have similar or higher attack power than Zoro pre advanced conq, who himself has great attack power even without advanced conq (as shown in rooftop fight)

Defence
Katakuri > King (offense mode)
Future sight allows him to dodge more physical attacks from King, than vice versa.
In defense mode, King's defense shouldn't really matter since Katakuri can't damage him, so leaving that out.

Physical strength:
King > Katakuri (but they're close)
King is an ancient Zoan, and had higher physical strength than Zoro even in his base.
Katakuri has high physical strength as well. He was physically on or above G4 Luffy's strength in WCI.

CQC:
Katakuri >= King (offense mode) > King (defence mode)
Speed and reflex plays a role in CQC
King has better combat speed (in both modes), but Katakuri's future sight provides more than enough of a boost to reflex where Katakuri overtakes King's CQC even in offense mode.
King's speed increases greatly in offense mode, but I'm not sure if the impact on CQC will be that big. Though it does provide enough of a boost IMO where King will be able to land blows.

Speed:
King (offense mode) >> Katakuri ~ King (defence mode)

Durability:
King (defense mode) >>> King (offense mode) > Katakuri
Defense mode needs no explanation. King, even in his offense mode, is an ancient Zoan. He did tank some advanced conq slashes from Zoro in offense mode as well.

Versatility:
Katakuri > King
Katakuri is extremely versatile. He pretty much emulated Luffy's fighting style to show his dominance with his fruit. He can drown people in mochi. Can turn surroundings into mochi. Plus his trademark combo of mochi body with future sight.
King is pretty versatile as well. Though not on Katakuri's level. He has fire, which is basically like another DF. Has good swordsmanship, with an unconventional sword that works well against other swordsmen. Can make his body explode upon getting physically attacked. Can fight well without his swords (Zoan, Hybrid form)

*************************************************************************************

Katakuri vs King

Overall, I say they are pretty close

King has a clear advantage in pure stats. But Katakuri's future sight + logia-esque body means than he will land less hits on Katakuri, than vice versa. Meaning, the impact of difference in stats is more or less nullified

Both have the means to damage each other.
Katakuri's future sight is a perfect match for King's insane speed in his offense mode. He can predict to dodge a lot of the high speed attacks, as well as manage to land hits in offense mode in the most apt time

King's offense mode is fast enough to the point where Katakuri won't be able to dodge all of his attacks. King will manage to land some hits, even though Katakuri will still dodge most.
King has good AOE with his fire, and AOE can counter Katakuri's fighting style with future sight (due to limitation on how much he can tweak his body). Not only can he use fire attacks offensively with good AOE, but also can use it defensively (can make his body explode when physically attacked)

In this particular matchup, King wins with high-extreme diff. Because of his AOE fire attacks

In the scenario where fire is restricted (except for switching to defence/offense mode), Katakuri wins this with high-extreme diff. Just putting it out there to show how I think AOE changes the outcome of this matchup

but in the apex of the fight reverts to a fighting style that not only matches Zoro as a swordsman, NEVER EVEN ENTERS HIS STRONGEST FORM WHICH IS HYBRID.

This is his biggest flaw. King never uses his strongest form against Zoro. Everyone who reads One Piece weekly knows Zoans hybrid are their strongest form and King doesn't use it at all at the top of the fight. Whether mistaken or not, it proves King's battle IQ is just garbage compared to Katakuri.
This isn't true.

He actually fights in his hybrid form in the same chapter, and overwhelms Zoro in CQC with it.

The reason he uses his base form in the end is because his strongest attack, the "Kaido" dragon attack, is summoned from his sword.
And he cannot use sword in his zoan or hybrid form, because his hands turn into wings lol

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haki:

Observation Haki:

Katakuri >>> King. No explanation needed

Armament Haki:
Yeah, King has good armament haki. There is a reason his sword didn't break after getting hit by Zoro's three swords, and Zoro has great armament haki and has advanced armament. As far as we know, King doesn't even have some grade swords or anything, his sword is lesser quality than Zoro's. If it didn't break, it is because King's own armament haki is around the ballpark of Zoro's own.

Conqueror's haki:
Katakuri >>>
King doesn't have it.

Combat stats:

Attack power:

King >> Katakuri.
Offense/speed type ancient Zoan.
Magma esque flames when he goes all out.
Plus, his physical attacks have similar or higher attack power than Zoro pre advanced conq, who himself has great attack power even without advanced conq (as shown in rooftop fight)

Defence
Katakuri > King (offense mode)
Future sight allows him to dodge more physical attacks from King, than vice versa.
In defense mode, King's defense shouldn't really matter since Katakuri can't damage him, so leaving that out.

Physical strength:
King > Katakuri (but they're close)
King is an ancient Zoan, and had higher physical strength than Zoro even in his base.
Katakuri has high physical strength as well. He was physically on or above G4 Luffy's strength in WCI.

CQC:
Katakuri >= King (offense mode) > King (defence mode)
Speed and reflex plays a role in CQC
King has better combat speed (in both modes), but Katakuri's future sight provides more than enough of a boost to reflex where Katakuri overtakes King's CQC even in offense mode.
King's speed increases greatly in offense mode, but I'm not sure if the impact on CQC will be that big. Though it does provide enough of a boost IMO where King will be able to land blows.

Speed:
King (offense mode) >> Katakuri ~ King (defence mode)

Durability:
King (defense mode) >>> King (offense mode) > Katakuri
Defense mode needs no explanation. King, even in his offense mode, is an ancient Zoan. He did tank some advanced conq slashes from Zoro in offense mode as well.

Versatility:
Katakuri > King
Katakuri is extremely versatile. He pretty much emulated Luffy's fighting style to show his dominance with his fruit. He can drown people in mochi. Can turn surroundings into mochi. Plus his trademark combo of mochi body with future sight.
King is pretty versatile as well. Though not on Katakuri's level. He has fire, which is basically like another DF. Has good swordsmanship, with an unconventional sword that works well against other swordsmen. Can make his body explode upon getting physically attacked. Can fight well without his swords (Zoan, Hybrid form)

*************************************************************************************

Katakuri vs King

Overall, I say they are pretty close

King has a clear advantage in pure stats. But Katakuri's future sight + logia-esque body means than he will land less hits on Katakuri, than vice versa. Meaning, the impact of difference in stats is more or less nullified

Both have the means to damage each other.
Katakuri's future sight is a perfect match for King's insane speed in his offense mode. He can predict to dodge a lot of the high speed attacks, as well as manage to land hits in offense mode in the most apt time

King's offense mode is fast enough to the point where Katakuri won't be able to dodge all of his attacks. King will manage to land some hits, even though Katakuri will still dodge most.
King has good AOE with his fire, and AOE can counter Katakuri's fighting style with future sight (due to limitation on how much he can tweak his body). Not only can he use fire attacks offensively with good AOE, but also can use it defensively (can make his body explode when physically attacked)

In this particular matchup, King wins with high-extreme diff. Because of his AOE fire attacks

In the scenario where fire is restricted (except for switching to defence/offense mode), Katakuri wins this with high-extreme diff. Just putting it out there to show how I think AOE changes the outcome of this matchup

This isn't true.

He actually fights in his hybrid form in the same chapter, and overwhelms Zoro in CQC with it.

The reason he uses his base form in the end is because his strongest attack, the "Kaido" dragon attack, is summoned from his sword.
And he cannot use sword in his zoan or hybrid form, because his hands turn into wings lol
I will never understand how you avoid mentioning Katakuri's awakened DF's ability to make a Mochi World that superceds any ability King showed in a AoE capacity.

And thank you for correcting me about Hybrid mode though it does bring up the fact that King takes another hit to his battle IQ because the only time he really puts himself at risk is when he reverts into his human(winged) form while in his Zoan form Zoro is forced to be on the defensive.

His best attack, the head beam thing, he even give up on despite how effective it was at putting Zoro on the definsive

Mopopolis

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would take Katakuri over King in that match up

Katakuri's main powers;
Conqueror's haki
Advanced Observation Haki
Awakened Devil Fruit

King's main powers are;
Lunarian Powers
Ancient Devil Fruit

King would seem to have the advantage in an open area where he could use his ranged attacks, but a lot of that would just be plain negated by Katakuri's Observation Haki, and I think Katakuri would straight up win in a melee over King.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
It would depend 100% on King's speed over anything.

King has not been shown to have advanced COO. This means that if he isn't significantly faster than Katakuri, he will never hit Katakuri.

The problem with that is that to increase his speed, he has to drop his flames/defense, leaving himself vulnerable to those ridiculously strong mochi square punches.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
I will never understand how you avoid mentioning Katakuri's awakened DF's ability to make a Mochi World that superceds any ability King showed in a AoE capacity.

And thank you for correcting me about Hybrid mode though it does bring up the fact that King takes another hit to his battle IQ because the only time he really puts himself at risk is when he reverts into his human(winged) form while in his Zoan form Zoro is forced to be on the defensive.

His best attack, the head beam thing, he even give up on despite how effective it was at putting Zoro on the definsive
I did mention it in versatility section.
Doesn't change the fact that AOE counters Future Sight + mochi body.
As for surroundings to mochi, King can fly, so that wouldn't be so effective.
Unless you mean that he can use awakening AOE to counter flames. Could be, but then that would be more of a stalemate, if not outright advantageous for King. Magma esque flames should be the stronger attack, mochi can be cut unlike fire (unless you have something like foxfire technique), plus awakening drains stamina fast. There is a reason Doflamingo and Katakuri used it only towards the end of the battle.

Yeah, the ending was definitely rushed. It was my main complaint about the fight (aside from finding the trick offscreen). King directly went for his finisher, which got overpowered by Zoro's own.
If you ask me, yeah, King could've continued in his hybrid and Zoan form for one more chapter, worn Zoro down and then use his finisher attack

His best attack his Kaido flame dragon. If I was King, I wouldn't use the head stretch attack either, now that Zoro got his advanced Conqueror's and could damage King even in his defense mode

Crimson Ice

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Yeah, King is stronger.

LaGOAT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Katakuri COC is irrelevant since he only has basic COC is just use to knockout fodders

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Katakuri COC is irrelevant since he only has basic COC is just use to knockout fodders
CoC we now know augments attacks, just not as much as ACoC.

An example is Zoro's use of Ashura. It was coated with CoC as noted by Kaido, but had no trailing black lightening.

The presence of Black Lightening is the key distinction

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
It makes attacks stronger, because one of the basic functions is "pressure"
But yea, it isn't helping him against King's defense mode

CoC we now know augments attacks, just not as much as ACoC.

An example is Zoro's use of Ashura. It was coated with CoC as noted by Kaido, but had no trailing black lightening.

The presence of Black Lightening is the key distinction
Zoro actually used advanced conqueror's on Kaido. Which was why he could scar him, similar to Oden.
Zoro had the typical "burst" of conqueror's which happens when noobs use it unknowingly, but Enma did all the next steps for him and turned it into advanced conqueror's attack

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Block Mochi really is more than enough to hurt King. CoC just arguments those attacks.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Katakuri would win; High Diff.
To imagine a full matchup would be hard as King can fly & spam attacks until Katakuri’s CoO diminishes but that’s out of character for him…& Katakuri is a CoO master but I can’t imagine him not getting annoyed by King’s defense not being aware of his biology, which gives King the advantage to land attacks…..

Either way, Katakuri isn’t winning unscathed. King’s petradon face pull is fast enough to hit him, & King’s speed in Zoan form is formidable.

LadyVados

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Albert stomps. Kata lost to a much weaker character than Albert.

Ricko

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
If King think with strategy he should win this match.

Kata got superior haki and DF ability while King got superior basic stats.
But haki deplete stamina faster, while basic not.

If Kata can't bypass King defense form, the Zoan just have to stall the battle until Kata is worn out so he loose future sight advantage.
But if King go in a mindless battle, he would loose to the superior versality and hax power of Kata.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
If King think with strategy he should win this match.

Kata got superior haki and DF ability while King got superior basic stats.
But haki deplete stamina faster, while basic not.

If Kata can't bypass King defense form, the Zoan just have to stall the battle until Kata is worn out so he loose future sight advantage.
But if King go in a mindless battle, he would loose to the superior versality and hax power of Kata.
Yep.

And it isn't like King is some slowpoke in his "defence" mode either.
His defence mode has CQC in the same ballpark as Zoro's (below in base, above in Zoan/Hybrid).

And his speed, in defence mode, is pretty high as well in Zoan/Hybrid mode. He was seen flying at great speed against BM (when he intercepted the ship) and RS Sanji

Katakuri will dodge vast majority of the attacks from defence mode King, but he will have to use future sight for it

King will win this fight high-extreme diff all things considered, if he plays his cards right.

Katakuri would win; High Diff.
To imagine a full matchup would be hard as King can fly & spam attacks until Katakuri’s CoO diminishes but that’s out of character for him…& Katakuri is a CoO master but I can’t imagine him not getting annoyed by King’s defense not being aware of his biology, which gives King the advantage to land attacks…..

Either way, Katakuri isn’t winning unscathed. King’s petradon face pull is fast enough to hit him, & King’s speed in Zoan form is formidable.
The face pull attack is just fast, but need prep time. Katakuri can predict it and dodge quite easily.

Still, how do you think Katakuri wins this?

King has good AOE with his fire, and AOE counters Katakuri's fighting style with future sight (due to limiation of how much he can tweak the mochi body).
And King is in his defence mode when he uses fire.

In his offense mode, King is fast enough to land some attacks on Katakuri as well, even through his future sight.

I agree Katakuri wins high-extreme diff, if King didn't have AOE however.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
In the past I would have said King but the Calamities have not been very impressive overall.

Besides speed and durability I don't see what King has over Katakuri. And the speed thing isn't much of an issue for Katakuri with his CoO.

I think Katakuri would win.

AmitDS

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Katakuri vs. King thread?

Now I am going to begin with battle IQ.

I feel like 50% of a top tier battle in One Piece is how well you know your opponent. In a fight between Katakuri and King, i feel like they know eachother well enough. The context is that Yonko executives dont much meet in combat often and this is proven by Big Mom's interaction with both King and Kaido. As if she hadn't seen them in decades, or even if she had a personal interaction with King. But of the 2(King and Katakuri) Katakuri adapted to Luffy's fighting style far quicker than King did to Zoro.

In fact Katakuri wasted no time in proving how much better he was at Luffy's own fighting style, showing advanced versions of his technique so quickly that Luffy was instantly overwhelmed. Displaying his ability to adapt to Luffy's DF in ways we had not seen in OP. In fact when Luffy managed to catch Katakuri kept adapting to superceded Luffy's ability.

Now King was In a similar situation overwhelmed Zoro by knocking Zoro out of Onigashima and to its outskirts while gloating. It started as almost the same fight. King even went out of his way to claim that while he was not a swordsman he would fight Zoro as a swordman even saying "Fine. I'LL GIVE YOU A SWORD FIGHT!" Despite it not being his most efficient way of combating Zoro and the difference between Katakuri and King here is that when King adjusts back to a fighting style that he proves his superiority over Zoro. He overwhelms Zoro easily but in the apex of the fight reverts to a fighting style that not only matches Zoro as a swordsman, NEVER EVEN ENTERS HIS STRONGEST FORM WHICH IS HYBRID.

King never adapted to Zoro's growth over the course of the fight.
Oop I love this part. Katakuri's adaptability is also a facet of his kit that goes largely unnoticed/underappreciated.

CoC
We now know CoC shows not only potential of its wielder but the ability to augment attacks even in its basic form. Katakuri has CoC where as Katakuri doesn't
King doesn't* 😜

Hopefully this thread keeps the topic for convolution the powet levels thread...

Just gonna paste my thoughts on this matchup from the Power Level Discussion thread lol:

TL;DR:
King vs. Katakuri imo is extreme diff either way but the lack of abilities on King's part vs. Katakuri's bloated and busted kit and the duration of their respective fights skew perception.

Block Mochi may be a form of superior CoA (based on Katakuri's dialogue and its effects on Luffy's hands, etc.) but as of now it's ambiguous so for the purposes of my post let's just operate under the assumption that it's regular CoA.

Katakuri does have great CoA, just not advanced/AdCoA (Ryou/Flow/Barrier) as far as we've seen.
However, he does have CoA that is hard enough (Block Mochi, etc.) to damage through Luffy's G4. This can simply be due to his haki being stronger than Luffy's, similar to Cracker's CoA that was able to cut through Boundman's arm at the time of the events of the Seducing Woods.

Regarding King vs. Katakuri, I think the thing is that King shockingly doesn't have AdCoA or the rarer AdCoC, when Wano was the arc that introduced these types of Haki and he's the next best fighter on the enemy's side after the 2 Yonkou and Katakuri's counterpart in the BP and this arc.
On the other hand, Katakuri, as said above, already has great CoA that could've competed with WCI G4's haki, AdCoO, and CoC which leads to fan speculation that he has the propensity to develop AdCoC if he were to appear in the future.

I believe it would be an extreme diff either way but it doesn't do King any favors that Katakuri, by virtue of being Luffy's opponent/Arc Boss I guess, showed a lot of exceptional powers like AdCoO, great CoA AND Awakening, while King was expected to have at least 1 or 2 of these things AND ended up having none on top of Katakuri having CoC which received major attention in the current arc.

Besides these things, it's also difficult to wrap your head around how King in a hypothetical matchup would be able to outdo or match Katakuri when Katakuri has so many blatant 'hax' abilities while King's whole schtick is his defense mode durability. Oda accidentally made Katakuri retroactively superior (subjective) because the only way to counter his FS is matching FS or speed, but Oda made it so that if King uses or even possesses the speed to tag Katakuri he loses his durability and Katakuri, as we've seen in the vs. Snakeman phase of his fight, can effectively utilize his attacks while not foregoing any of his 'defenses' i.e. FS combo'ed with Paramecia shapeshifting to avoid damage.

On the other hand, if King stays in defense mode, he won't have the speed necessary to tag Katakuri so it would become a rather lame stand-off between who has the higher endurance, Katakuri with his FS to avoid damage or King face-tanking hits. This part also in a way made Katakuri look superior since he did fight Luffy for 11+ hours while King fell in less than 15 minutes. Basically if King has to tag Katakuri, he loses defenses so Katakuri can damage him and in his defense mode there hasn't been anything to indicate that Katakuri lacks the AP to be unable to damage him when you consider Marco with a casual knee strike (with ambiguous Haki application to boot) made Defense Mode King bleed.

Not getting into powerscaling post-AdCoC Zoro vs. WCI Luffy or anything, but strictly from an on-the-surface level perspective, Oda portraying a >11 hour fight vs <15 minute skews perception lol

Last edited:

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Armament Haki:
Thank you. I said King's basic arms was good enough to hold out against Zoro making him a good arms user and people acted like I was speaking Chinese.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
This matchup sprung up way too fast. I barely gave it a a in depth thought. & having a new interpretation of King’s Lunarian abilities.

As potent as Katakuri’s CoO is. I think King still edges him out with Attack power of his flames & his durability that Katakuri doesn’t have the skills to get through.

King with his Flames provides an insane durability buff, that only ACoC attacks & Marco’s flames have Nerfd.

Block Mochi is going to be brushed off same way Lion Song was.

I think Katakuri CoO is gonna help with King’s Speed mode. Where he can get a Buzz Cut Mochi in, but King’s durability & AP imo out last Katakuri’s CoO, & he goes down in flames