\m/ THE METAL THREAD!!! \m/ | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

\m/ THE METAL THREAD!!! \m/

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: THE METAL THREAD!!! \m/

is epica even metal? Its really similar to evanesence or vice-versa. I tend to steer clear of metal except the melodic stuff. Bands like In Flames, Insomnium and Dark Tranquility are awesome

Arrogance

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

is epica even metal? Its really similar to evanesence or vice-versa. I tend to steer clear of metal except the melodic stuff. Bands like In Flames, Insomnium and Dark Tranquility are awesome
I don't know Epica but I did a quick google and they come up a Symponic Metal so they fit then :XD. As for In Flames I really like them, I got into them after playing their song "Take This Life" on Guitar Hero 3 as a bonus song. I really liked them so I went and got their discography. My only problem is that their old stuff is pretty bad in comparison to the newer. The album Reroute to Remain and the 3 other albums that came after that are their best stuff IMO. Everything else sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, lol.

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States

I don't know Epica but I did a quick google and they come up a Symponic Metal so they fit then :XD. As for In Flames I really like them, I got into them after playing their song "Take This Life" on Guitar Hero 3 as a bonus song. I really liked them so I went and got their discography. My only problem is that their old stuff is pretty bad in comparison to the newer. The album Reroute to Remain and the 3 other albums that came after that are their best stuff IMO. Everything else sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, lol.
FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

did you just say that their new stuff is better than their old stuff?????

NO

:)

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

did you just say that their new stuff is better than their old stuff?????

NO

:)
mhm, yes I did. I've tried listening to their old stuff and I just don't like it. Its too chaotic, I don't like the vocals. Their newer stuff has better vocals more organized and more melodic and I just find that I actually enjoy listening to it over Lunar Strain and Whoracle. I think their most recent album wasn't as heavy as their older stuff but I still enjoy listening to it a lot. I guess Soundtrack To Your Escape was like an in between album. It was very heavy and yet I enjoyed listening to the vocals. I didn't find Reroute To Remain as heavy as Soundtrack but it was a very technical album, I liked how they incorporated some techno/electronic influences into songs like Cloud Connected. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion but this is mine, lol. I just don't enjoy the older stuff.

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States

mhm, yes I did. I've tried listening to their old stuff and I just don't like it. Its too chaotic, I don't like the vocals. Their newer stuff has better vocals more organized and more melodic and I just find that I actually enjoy listening to it over Lunar Strain and Whoracle. I think their most recent album wasn't as heavy as their older stuff but I still enjoy listening to it a lot. I guess Soundtrack To Your Escape was like an in between album. It was very heavy and yet I enjoyed listening to the vocals. I didn't find Reroute To Remain as heavy as Soundtrack but it was a very technical album, I liked how they incorporated some techno/electronic influences into songs like Cloud Connected. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion but this is mine, lol. I just don't enjoy the older stuff.
yeah I know alot of people who prefer the new stuff. My fav song from the recent albums is probably Eraser. Their best album is the Jester's Race or something like that. Moonshield is their best song. IMO of course

Dilandau

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Northern Ireland

I love metal! It's easily my favourite genre of music. Melodic Death metal would have to be my favourite sub-genre, it's just so....... melodic. The old In Flames (since their new stuff is pretty low quality in my opinion), Dark Tranquility and At the Gates are some of my favs. As for newer bands, I'd have to recommend Insomnium. Their songs have amazing riffs and great acoustic pieces to boot. Somehow I manage to find their songs to be quite peaceful. Try them!

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

^Thanks for posting. Although I don't agree with your In Flames comment (you and crimson would get along :XD) I am gonna look into Insomnium as you recommended :D. So far so good ;). Just surfing youtube trying to hear some of their stuff. Listening to the song "Mortal Share" right now. Are their any songs in particular you'd recommend. :D

Agrias

Holy Knight
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

If I mix AF, Epica, WT and all the girly-operatic stuff, I really can't tell which band it is...they all sound the same ;p They just drank from NW's original formula, but at least NW had personality. But I do love Floor Jansen's voice...

For me, good bands with girl vocals are Theatre of Tragedy, The Gathering, the old NW I talked about, Ayreon (mixed), Leaves Eyes..

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I somehow just kind of felt like I had to take a peak in this thread, because I thought I felt the presence of some GÖTEBORGSDÖDS MOTHERF****R! :D

In Flames, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, The Haunted.. all I can say is :headbang!

Dilandau

Reaction score
Country
Northern Ireland

^Thanks for posting. Although I don't agree with your In Flames comment (you and crimson would get along :XD) I am gonna look into Insomnium as you recommended :D. So far so good ;). Just surfing youtube trying to hear some of their stuff. Listening to the song "Mortal Share" right now. Are their any songs in particular you'd recommend. :D
Yeah I know their are quite alot of fans of their new stuff. :amuse

I really like all of their songs though a few that stick in my mind as being a notch above the rest are: Change of Heart, The Day Death Walked the Earth and Since the Day It All Came Down (might have misplaced a few words in that last one), but I'm glad you checked them out. They're a really underrated band unforuntately :(

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah I know their are quite alot of fans of their new stuff. :amuse

I really like all of their songs though a few that stick in my mind as being a notch above the rest are: Change of Heart, The Day Death Walked the Earth and Since the Day It All Came Down (might have misplaced a few words in that last one), but I'm glad you checked them out. They're a really underrated band unforuntately :(
Thanks :D. I'll try and look a few of those up and hopefully I'll end up liking them. Well thats the way it is for Melodic Death Metal. Its a very obscure genre when you think about it. Like its one of my favorite yet at the same time how many HUGE NAME Melodic Death Metal bands do you see? If anything I have like 2 WELL known ones like In Flames and Children of Bodom. Like those seem to be Melodic Death Metal bands that everyone knows. Others I really like that took me a lot of digging to find are Mors Principium Est, Devildriver, etc. I love Melodic Death Metal but I agree that a lot of the bands are underrated because they just aren't VERY well known...at least in America that is.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Here in Sweden melodic death metal is pretty big. From the top of my head I can mention In Flames, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Soilwork and.. well, I suppose there are a lot more. There are countless less known bands following in the footsteps of In Flames and At The Gates. :headbang

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Here in Sweden melodic death metal is pretty big. From the top of my head I can mention In Flames, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Soilwork and.. well, I suppose there are a lot more. There are countless less known bands following in the footsteps of In Flames and At The Gates. :headbang
Out of those I love Amon Amarth! I just got into them a few months ago because of Runes To My Memory. Thats like my favorite song by them. Soilwork I've had one of their albums for a while but I don't listen to them often. But yea I know that you Europeans get all the sweet metal that we don't have here :darn. There are so many bands I wish would come to America but don't :scry. I know some Arch Enemy and I'm still looking into them, they are on my list of future bands to do research on ;). I guess in America one of the most well known Melodic Death Metal bands is Dethklok :XD. Meantime half the people that know about them through the show Metalocalypse probably don't even know that they are a considered Melodic Death Metal. lol.

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States

yeah theres definitely a lot of good swedish bands out there that do melodic metal.

Agrias

Holy Knight
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

I somehow just kind of felt like I had to take a peak in this thread, because I thought I felt the presence of some GÖTEBORGSDÖDS MOTHERF****R! :D

In Flames, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, The Haunted.. all I can say is :headbang!
HELL YES

I'm visiting Gothemburg after New Years, I hope there's something going on there ;_____________; Damn Dark Tranquility is gonna play some days after I arrive! >.<

Btw, not talking about Sweden now though...how could I have forgotten about Borknagar, Norther, Agalloch, Arch Enemy and Swallow the Sun on my favourites list. ;_;

And Opeth, that owns all of them single handed. xD <333 I wanna move to Swedeeeen ;_;

Btw guys, those who have an account at last.fm can join the MH group there (http://www.last.fm/group/MangaHelpers+in+Last.fm?setlang=en), take a look at everyone's lists and reccomend stuff, take a look at it! Let's push some metal on those statistics! >D

Last edited:

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

So I ended getting into Insomium thanks to a few of you guys! :confetti. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Like I said earlier Melodic Death Metal isn't as easy for me to find here in the states but for you Europeans its like everywhere, lol. I ended up getting their albm Above The Weeping World from 2006 I believe and I'm really liking it a lot ;). I also noticd in doing my research of them that they are coming out or have already come out with a new album calld Across the Dark sometime this month. Does anyone have it and if so how is it?

Agrias

Holy Knight
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

If you want to start on Melodic DM, try Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy, Norther and Dark Tranquility ("The Episode" album). If you want something a bit more complex, Opeth's "Blackwater Park" and "Deliverance". :3 I dunno this Insomnium yet, gonna check. :x

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

If you want to start on Melodic DM, try Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy, Norther and Dark Tranquility ("The Episode" album). If you want something a bit more complex, Opeth's "Blackwater Park" and "Deliverance". :3 I dunno this Insomnium yet, gonna check. :x
Well its not a start but more an expansion, lol. The Europeans have a wider access to a bunch of Melodic Death Metal bands in comparison to the states. I'm already into Bodom, Arch Enemy is on my list of bands to look into more, and Opeth I'm iffy about but have tried (I'll look more into them more too though for your sake ;)). The other ones I know nothing about :XD. I've noticed Dark Tranquility has been mentioned a lot here so I'll specifically look inot them next ;).

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States

lol at never heard of Insomnium, they have some excellent stuff

Dilandau

Reaction score
Country
Northern Ireland

So I ended getting into Insomium thanks to a few of you guys! :confetti. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Like I said earlier Melodic Death Metal isn't as easy for me to find here in the states but for you Europeans its like everywhere, lol. I ended up getting their albm Above The Weeping World from 2006 I believe and I'm really liking it a lot ;). I also noticd in doing my research of them that they are coming out or have already come out with a new album calld Across the Dark sometime this month. Does anyone have it and if so how is it?
Thanks for reminding me lol. A quick Youtube search and it turns out most of, if not all of the album is up already. I haven't heard much of it but from what I can tell it's great. It's a bit more Doom-Metal oriented from what I've heard so far. As for when it's released, according to Wikipedia it came out in Finland on the 9th of September and was released in the states on the 15th. It comes to Europe on the 28th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4VXehnieU

Oh, there's another Melo-death band I haven't recommended yet. Kalmah. They're a bit heavier than most bands I listen to but I love their use of keyboards.