Light Novel - Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei by Satou Tsutomu and Ishida Kana | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Light Novel Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei by Satou Tsutomu and Ishida Kana

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't mean to give the impression it's hurting my enjoyment of the series or anything. It's just something funny that I've been noticing. It might be more noticeable to me because I normally read pretty fast. So when I have to stop to double check who the last sentence I just read was about or spoken by that pause tends to stand out.

It also probably doesn't help that I'm reading a version that was PDF converted to kindle and some of the paragraph formatting is messed up. Adding another layer of difficulty.
Oh, it could be the last part. I just read on BT, so it's not an issue.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Update

Chapter 1 is almost over. Miyuki si still true to herself, managing to seat with Tatsuya on a one-seater, I don't know if I should find it creepy or funny.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm up to Volume 10 now.

To be honest, I think the anime did a really good job covering as much as it did as well as it did. The two areas I feel like it didn't quite nail were Tatsuya and Mayumi's doublesided personalities. Tatsuya was a little more flat in anime and Mayumi mostly came across as sweet and playful; as opposed to the book's "sweet on the outside with a constant underlying love of manipulation and mischief".

Miyuki is also somebody I'm finding a lot more likable. Mainly because the reminiscence volume did a lot to explain the crazy bro-con aspect. She's still a crazy bro-con; but unlike early on she seems easier to understand and like.

That being said, Mayumi is easily my favorite character in the books. MayumiXTatsuya 4ever!

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Jammin, basically, those are the complaints that the LN readers had. Plus, plus, plus, the fact that half of Mayumi's scenes were blatantly cut for no reason in the anime.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished volume 13. So I guess I'm caught up until another volume is translated.

Definitely a good read. Needs moar Mayumi though.-

---------------------------

Also, in the last volume having a Gen. Sakai and Col. Saeki is another one of those naming things that is just amazing. It's like he's doing it on purpose.

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Agree with Jammin. When I first read the LN I found it hilarious Tatsuya actually thought those things. (I watched the anime first.)

Oh and also don't forget Shiba Shibata Chiba :p

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I just finished volume 13. So I guess I'm caught up until another volume is translated.

Definitely a good read. Needs moar Mayumi though.-

---------------------------

Also, in the last volume having a Gen. Sakai and Col. Saeki is another one of those naming things that is just amazing. It's like he's doing it on purpose.
As a supporting character I think Mayumi really has plenty of screentime, she is more relevant than characters like Mizuki or Leo for example. And she still manages to have an illustration by volumes even though she is not at 1st High anymore.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
As a supporting character I think Mayumi really has plenty of screentime, she is more relevant than characters like Mizuki or Leo for example. And she still manages to have an illustration by volumes even though she is not at 1st High anymore.
Yes, because they wanted to show her off for fanservice purposes.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand why she wasn't in the last few volumes but I think she offers something that no other characters really contribute. She reads and comprehends Tatsukya. And there are very few characters that do that. And Mayumi is the only one that does it in a way that's so fun.

I'm not talking about just the big dramatic moments. My favorite scene in the series is where she corners him into eating intentionally horrible Valentines day chocolate. That was just fantastic because she knew what she doing. He knew what she was doing. And that was the fun of it. There are no two characters that are more fun to watch play off each other.

The swim suit bit was funny but it wasn't really the best of her character. Her good moments are when she's showing how smart she is.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Yes, because they wanted to show her off for fanservice purposes.
Of course there's this but I am saying that as a character she seems more important than some of the mains in the story overall, with her father's schemes and her own worries Mayumi, she is like Tatsuya's ally in her clan while Mizuki for example seems to be relevant only because of her eyes, Leo has less development than her too.

I understand why she wasn't in the last few volumes but I think she offers something that no other characters really contribute. She reads and comprehends Tatsukya. And there are very few characters that do that. And Mayumi is the only one that does it in a way that's so fun.

I'm not talking about just the big dramatic moments. My favorite scene in the series is where she corners him into eating intentionally horrible Valentines day chocolate. That was just fantastic because she knew what she doing. He knew what she was doing. And that was the fun of it. There are no two characters that are more fun to watch play off each other.

The swim suit bit was funny but it wasn't really the best of her character. Her good moments are when she's showing how smart she is.
I was not talking about a scene in particular. Their interactions are easily the best of the LN for me and they are my favorite characters, and that's why I really hate how the anime treated her...

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Of course there's this but I am saying that as a character she seems more important than some of the mains in the story overall, with her father's schemes and her own worries Mayumi, she is like Tatsuya's ally in her clan while Mizuki for example seems to be relevant only because of her eyes, Leo has less development than her too.
Let's hope that's because there will be an arranged marriage set up between the Yotsuba and Saegusa.

I would be 100% in favor of that. The cold war that would ensue between Mizuki and Mayumi would so fantastic. With Tatsukya trapped in the middle.:popcorn

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Ooh, ooh, ooh.

I'm still waiting a little bit more before I read what's been updated of Vol 14, though.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Another update for Mahouka X SAO crossover

Bath accident...

I can already imagine her fantasies when she will wake up. Too bad Tatsuya can't use his innate magics, maybe it will change later.

---------- Post added March 01, 2015 at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was February 27, 2015 at 10:39 AM ----------

The crossover is fully translated.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Now that Yen Press has licensed Mahouka, do you know where it'll be hosted (obviously BT no longer hosts it)?

I never got around to downloading a copy of it. :(

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

On reddit, I found a guy who has a public google drive with the first 13 volumes posted. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0lpvIiOS3WgcFZBNks3ZklsSkk&usp=sharing

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Now that Yen Press has licensed Mahouka, do you know where it'll be hosted (obviously BT no longer hosts it)?

I never got around to downloading a copy of it. :(

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

On reddit, I found a guy who has a public google drive with the first 13 volumes posted. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0lpvIiOS3WgcFZBNks3ZklsSkk&usp=sharing
I have all the volumes downloaded but I don't know where the fan translations will be hosted... Hope they won't die...

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

V14 Chapter 4 and 5 are posted... Only Chapter 3 to complete the volume.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I need the sideboys art, I love the mahouka artists.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Volume 14 is completed, Chapter 3 translation needs some QC, but it's still readable, Minoru is impressive.

Read Volume 15 and 16 spoilers, Volume 16 spoilers are particularly interesting. Hyped for Volume 17 :gar, a lot of things will change.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Caught up to 16.

I really feel like Miyuki belongs on the throne of the bro-con hall of fame. So weird. The stuff at the end of 16 just make it all the stranger.:amuse