MH Manga Awards 2011 Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

MH Manga Awards 2011 Discussion Thread

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to The MangaHelpers Manga Awards, an awards competition where you, the fans, nominate and decide what is the best of the best in the Manga world.

General Rules

This year as well, the contest will be held in two phases, nomination and voting, here's the how the nomination process will go for the next 3 weeks:

Who will submit the nominations?
The nominations will be submitted by members of the staff and by you, the members of the site. In that way, all the members of the site will come together to decide what is the best of the best. :)

How to submit a nomination
Submit a nomination for the different award categories by posting in their respective thread and by explaining why said series/character/event deserves to be a nominee for that award category. The explanation cannot be longer than three lines.

Nomination format:

HTML:
[color=red][b][I]Nomination here:[/I] Reason for nomination here.[/b][/color]
- You don’t have to nominate for all the award categories, but you can only make 1 nomination for each award category.

-Out of all the nominations for the different award categories, only the 5 nominations that earn the most votes become the official nominees.

- To “vote” for a nomination, the only thing you need to do is to you write a post in the corresponding threads indicating your support for said nomination by writing: “I support *inserts the name of the nominee* for the *inserts the name of the award category*.

-The nomination process will take place from now until the next three weeks; you can edit your nomination and your vote at any time during that period.

- Once a series/character/event has been nominated, it doesn’t need to be nominated for a second time. If you agree with said nomination, show your support by voting for said nomination.

-Please respect the opinions and nominations of others. It’s okay if you don’t like a series or a character or an event that another person nominates and it’s okay if you don’t agree with said nomination; but please do not bash the character, or the series, or event, or the person who posts the nomination. The purpose of The MangaHelpers Manga Awards is to do something as a whole community while having fun, not to initiate any kind of drama or fights.

-In case an award category doesn’t have enough nominations, the rest of the nominees will come from a panel of experts and members from the staff.

Important: The winners of last year’s MH Manga Awards can’t be nominated for the respective categories in which they won in the previous Manga Awards. Following there is the list of winners from “The MH Manga Awards 2010 – 2011”:

Best Male Lead
Guts / Gatsu from Berserk

Best Male Supporting Character
“L” Lawliet from Death Note

Best Female Lead
Clare/Claire from Claymore

Best Female Supporting Character
Major General Olivier Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist

Best Shoujo Manga
Fruits Basket

Best Shounen Manga
One Piece

Best Josei Manga
Nodame Cantabile

Best Seinen Manga
Berserk

Best Hairstyle
Bleach

Best Costume Design
Bleach

Best Villain
Berserk: Griffith

Best Fight
Naruto
Naruto vs. Pain

Best Kiss
Naruto
Naruto and Sasuke kissing.

Best Color Page
Bleach
Chapter 416: Deicide 18 (The End)

Best Double-Spread
Berserk
The Eclipse from Vol.27 page 44

Best Chapter
One Piece
Chapter 398 - Declaration of War

Best Couple/Pairing
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ed x Winry
(by Mayra1517)

Best Full Cast
One Piece

Best Artwork
Vagabond
Here's the link for some examples of the great art of Vagabond. Credits go to Mr. Prince, thanks for the great work!

Best WTF Moment
One Piece
Revelation of Duval's face in One Piece (Chapter 494/ Pg. 19)

Best Plot-Twist
One Piece
Finding out that Ace's father was Gol D. Roger/ The identity of Ace´s father and White Beards true intentions towards Ace´s future in One Piece

Best new series
Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Best Manga Overall
One Piece

1)Best Shounen (M3J)
2) Best Shoujo(phio)
3) Best Seinen(bene)
4) Best Josei(phio)
5) Best manga of 2011(Hege)
6) Best completed manga(3c)
7) Best manhwa/manhua(phio)
8) Best Overall Manga(niichan)
9) Best Mangaka(josef)
10) Best Male Lead(niichan)
11) Best Female Lead(phio)
12) Best Male Support(josef)
13) Best Female Support(phio)
14) Best Action(Hege)
15) Best Sci-fi(bene)
16) Best Fantasy(Hege)
17) Best Drama (Destiny)
18) Best Comedy(Uriel)
19) Best Sports (Destiny)
20) Best Mystery/Horror(niichan)
21) Best Slice of Life(phio)
22) Best Full Cast(Uriel)
23) Best Villain(Uriel)
24) Best Fight (M3J)
25) Best plot-twist/ best epic moment (niichan)
26) Best Death/saddest moment(Blai)
27) Funniest moment (M3J)
28) Best Artwork (manga)(darj)
29) Best Character Design(includes the old costume design and hairstyle categories)(Uriel)
30) Best Artistic Piece (double-spreads/coloured pages)(darj)
The Voting Process

-After 5 nominees have been selected for each one of the different award categories, the voting process will begin. The voting will be poll-based and separate threads will be created for each one of the different award categories.

-You don’t have to vote for all the award categories, but you can only vote for a category once. So please make sure you are voting for the series/character/event you really want to vote for before clicking on the poll.

-Once you have cast your vote, please feel free to continue the discussion about the nominees and who you think will be the winners of this contest.

-The winners of each award category will be the ones that earn the most votes.

-The voting process will take place from the moment we have enough nominees for the various award categories until the following two weeks. The results of the MangaHelpers Awards will be posted four days after the closing of the voting process.

--If you have any questions about the awards competition, please feel free to contact me, [user]destiny4ever[/user] or any of the following moderators via PM:

[user]benelori[/user]
[user]naruto-niichan[/user]
[user]phio_chan[/user]
[user]Josef K.[/user]
[user]Blai[/user]
[user]Akainu[/user]
[user]M3J[/user]
[user]Darjaille[/user]
[user]HegemonKhan[/user]
[user]3c[/user]
[user] Uriel[/user]

---------- Post added December 17, 2011 at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was December 14, 2011 at 09:24 AM ----------

Nominations are now open in all the nomination threads, so please come and nominate your favorite series, characters, etc. from the mangaverse!!

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Huh, is that a year already since the last awards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I have a few questions. "Best Artistic Piece". I don't really understand this category and why it is different than "Best Artwork". Does this mean a manga that is strictly about the art form and not about entertainment?

Also, should our nominations be limited to manga that started, were completed, or are ongoing as of 2011? For instance, there is a category "Best Completed Manga". Does that manga have to have been completed in 2011, or can is it best completed manga ever?

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Thanks to do that again. I had fun last year.
But 3 small remarks though:
- It's not very clear that you can "support" nominations in the different separate threads. You're only talking about nomination in the introduction of each thread.
- Difference between Best Fantasy & Best Scifi is not very clear for me. If fantasy is only related to "Heroic Fantasy", it will be hard to think to anything else than Berserk.
- BEST SPORT was forgotten in the threads

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
- Difference between Best Fantasy & Best Scifi is not very clear for me. If fantasy is only related to "Heroic Fantasy", it will be hard to think to anything else than Berserk.
Scifi=Robots, Fantasy=Magic :-)

wooticus

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I also have a question. I already looked through the nomination threads and saw nominations based on chapters from 2010 and earlier. Aren't those awards about the best of 2011? Can you nominate anything? E.g. if you have nomination for "best fight" and you nominate a fight that has happened before 2011, is it possible?

Shrimp

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Pretty much the same question as wooticus; for "best completed manga", must it be one that ended this year ?

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Norway
I have a few questions. "Best Artistic Piece". I don't really understand this category and why it is different than "Best Artwork". Does this mean a manga that is strictly about the art form and not about entertainment?
'Best Artistic Piece' is basically last year's best doublespread and best colored (double)page combined. So 'Best Artistic Piece' is the best (double)page, either in black&white or color. 'Best Artwork' is more about the best overall artwork in a manga. For example your favorite doublespread can be a specific One Piece doublespread, but the manga you consider to have the best overall artwork could be Berserk.

Also, should our nominations be limited to manga that started, were completed, or are ongoing as of 2011? For instance, there is a category "Best Completed Manga". Does that manga have to have been completed in 2011, or can is it best completed manga ever?
Best Completed Manga is any completed manga. As for the others, the only limitation that I'm aware of is that last year's winner can't be nominated in its respective category. However in categories where it's not the manga, but a part of the manga that wins, e.g. best male support, a different character from the same manga that won the category last year can be nominated this year.

I also have a question. I already looked through the nomination threads and saw nominations based on chapters from 2010 and earlier. Aren't those awards about the best of 2011? Can you nominate anything? E.g. if you have nomination for "best fight" and you nominate a fight that has happened before 2011, is it possible?
We thought about a 2011 limitation, but decided to have no "year limitation", but instead a "last year's winner can't be nominated again" limitation. So Best Fight can e.g. be Ichigo vs Grimmjow.

- It's not very clear that you can "support" nominations in the different separate threads. You're only talking about nomination in the introduction of each thread.
Thanks for the heads-up, that will indeed need to be included in the OPs.

Your second question was already answered by k-dom.

I will make a best sports thread right now. Thanks again.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany

"Best Artistic Piece" is different to "Best Artwork"

Best Artwork = Overall Art in a specific manga

Best Artistic Piece = Only focuses on one "Page/Double-Spread/Colorpage

And no, the categories aren't limited to 2011. There's only one special category "Best Manga of 2011" which solely focuses on the chapters/new released manga of 2011.

K-dom already said it. Fantasy is meant for a more medieval setting while sci-fi regards to a more future related setting.
Rest was answered by 3c.

As I already told Matt, the categories aren't limited to 2011. The only category limited to 2011 is the "Best Manga of 2011" category.

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
For the best artistic piece, wouldn't it be better to have only piece of 2011 or that all last year nominations can not be chosen ? I fear that the same piece as last year will be chosen without greater restriction which wouldn't be that interesting. Also a 2011 restriction would make this category more 'award like'

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For the best artistic piece, wouldn't it be better to have only piece of 2011 or that all last year nominations can not be chosen ? I fear that the same piece as last year will be chosen without greater restriction which wouldn't be that interesting. Also a 2011 restriction would make this category more 'award like'
All of last year’s winners can’t be nominated as nominees for the 2011 MH Manga Awards. So the following can’t be nominated for this year’s awards for the category of "Best Artistic Piece":

Best Color Page
Bleach
Chapter 416: Deicide 18 (The End)

Best Double-Spread
Berserk
The Eclipse from Vol.27 page 44

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well this will be interesting as One Piece can't be nominated for best Shounen again. So its gonna be a fierce competition between all the shounen manga besides One Piece.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
[mod=Josef K.]All former winners have now been added to the threads. Please check out if your nominee won last year and if it did, please change it into something else. Thank you.[/mod]

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can we have a Best New Manga award category?

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Can we have a Best New Manga award category?
The categories and responsibilities for the categories are already set in stone...but there is a category that allows nominations for new titles...and that's Best Manga of 2011

The dilemma that was the main concern of the planning stages was the number of categories that should be brought to you guys, and as you see some of the categories have been brought together, like Saddest Moment/Best Death....even Best Manga of 2011 allows multiple types of nominations as it allows 2011 content of older titles or just plain new titles that appeared this year...

So please choose wisely for these categories...but I would like you to ask all of you what do you think of the current categories, maybe you can suggest some and we will definitely consider it for next year, as we did now...so please feel free to comment and suggest.

Also...I would like to ask you, which manga title do you think will hug most wins this year? Especially since there are categories where previous winners are not allowed, and yet they could take the crown in other categories, both new and old...

Last year, One Piece and Berserk were the main titles, two exquisite ones for that...so what do you think about this year? Maybe Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond could take some, how about the titles that have resumed this year like HxH or Liar Game?

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
So far it looks like there are a lot of Naruto fans voting for all the categories Naruto can be in so it might be a big winner. However we can't say much till at least 1 week mark passes.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
So far it looks like there are a lot of Naruto fans voting for all the categories Naruto can be in so it might be a big winner. However we can't say much till at least 1 week mark passes.
That's true, but I'm interested in what your opinion are, and how will it change or not, during the evolution of the Awards....

Naruto might be in for lots of categories as last year OP was there, however this is just the nomination round...people still have time to change nominations as they are reminded by others of other good stuff...

In the end, it's the voting stage that will matter the most, so it's tough to say...heavy titles, which could combat Naruto are still to come...like Full Metal Alchemist for example

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm hopeing Bleach, HunterXHunter, and Fairy Tail win a few categories. Katekyo Hitman could use some wins as well. Also Beelzebub is a good one so I hope it wins at least one category.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I don't think Hi no Tori is eligble for best manga of 2011... It ended during the 80s...

People are messing the Best of 2011 and Best Manga in General categories.

zozo96

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Maybe many of you share the same concern. I mean, the difficulties are clear. Most of the anually awards only deal with what were up during the particular year. As for this site award? I don't know, but something seems off. Imho, it will be simpler yet more exciting to limit the contenders, just for the chapters published this year, or from December last year.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I mean, for example, how can I choose the winner of the best shounen excluding the only one I followed thoroughly, just because it was the last year winner? I do understand that there is a difference between the best manga of all time and the best manga this year.