MH Manga Awards 2011 Discussion Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

MH Manga Awards 2011 Discussion Thread

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I think the main problem with a yearly award is to avoid that it becomes a big three award ( i wouldn't be against a no big three contest one year...)
One of the good point of the awards is that they make us discover some new titles. I think a mix of yearly and global categories is the best solution

crimsonlink310

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy New Years to all of you. Its been 2 weeks since the contest has started so we are in the last stretch of the contest. Make sure to vote for nominations in all the categories.

ashher

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I think the main problem with a yearly award is to avoid that it becomes a big three award ( i wouldn't be against a no big three contest one year...)
One of the good point of the awards is that they make us discover some new titles. I think a mix of yearly and global categories is the best solution
The critique's list should make sure that big three can't take everything.

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
I personally think 1 manga can only win 2-3 categories tops. Anymore than that and it would be unfair to other mangas. Its like having One Piece for best Shounen, Manga of 2011, Action and Best fight. That kinda dominance would be boring and counterproductive to the awards.

BlackHair

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I just noticed there are nowhere clear guild lines differencing support and main chars. I mean for example Erza Scarlett actually falls into the category female support, but she is also in female lead (which I voted). I mean she had her own fights, dedicated character development and is part of the main gang, but the actual leads of FT are Natsu and Lucy.

I personally think every character who is not appearing regularly can be counted as support. Anyway, just wanted to bring this issue up.

Also I wanted to throw a new category for a award: "Best manga quote"

kindly regards Bhair

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I think we did have Best Manga Quote last year. I forgot though.

I wanted the Awards to be only for manga for 2011 as well. MOre older manga like OP and Dragon Ball will win because they're more known. At least with manga in 2011, Dragon Ball would be eliminated, along with manga and shit that wasn't released in 2011 or ongoing in 2011.

I also preferred to ban OP, Naruto, and Bleach because... they're highly likely to win most awards. It's no fun and to me, it takes away a good thing about the Awards: word of mouth about new manga and less known manga series.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I just noticed there are nowhere clear guild lines differencing support and main chars. I mean for example Erza Scarlett actually falls into the category female support, but she is also in female lead (which I voted). I mean she had her own fights, dedicated character development and is part of the main gang, but the actual leads of FT are Natsu and Lucy.

I personally think every character who is not appearing regularly can be counted as support. Anyway, just wanted to bring this issue up.
Thank you for your input, BlackHair!

Personally thinking I don't think there is a problem if you want to nominate a character to be lead or support. It is a matter of each person's point of view to nominate a character as a lead or support; how you think the character grows thus deserve the title of being a lead or support. You nominate it here and share that thoughts with other members to get votes for it. In case of what happened at the female support category regarding Erza's nomination, I had brought that up and discussed it with other staff members who follow Fairy Tail and we agreed that she falls under the category of support better than lead. Eventually, it returns to personal view and explanations.

Nevertheless, I will remember to address that in next year's awards session. :)

natsu78

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I also preferred to ban OP, Naruto, and Bleach because... they're highly likely to win most awards. It's no fun and to me, it takes away a good thing about the Awards: word of mouth about new manga and less known manga series.
It is more interesting and exciting to see how the less "older" manga's battle it out,rather than to see how these three( OP, Naruto, and Bleach) completely dominating the awards.

Teubier

Reaction score
Country
Reunion
I dislike the idea of restricting the nominations' scope : banning the current big three, confining to the year's mangas, or even the unability to vote for the previous year's winner.
It's up to the members after all, and the results show what kind of members were up to the task, and how far they were willing to push the Awards' concept. If there are more people nominating/supporting~voting for mainstream mangas, then so be it. If one is disturbed because he'd like to see/hear more about peculiar mangas in the Awards, or simply because it's not interesting enough to him, then I believe that he should try to impact on these kind of behaviours before it starts. And with the Awards' themselves, I think you did what could be done by creating categories that might benefit some kind of behaviours upon others, like "Funniest Moment" or "Best Artistic Piece". I don't have anything against adding specific categories for the year-to-date though.
That was my interesting opinion of the day, s'ry. :p
Big thanks to the several organizers, and also to the voters.

Tiranofrome

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
so , we have time till 8th to nominate , right ?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I think so, yes.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
As I discuted on the different threads, some categories are just not clear enough:

1) Forget about the lead & support next year & just go with best female character & best male character ... Where lead end & support begins is not clear for anyone apparently. Erza got nominations in both categories for example (support & lead).

2) Best death / saddest moment. The two are often related to each other but not always. The first death I considered to nominate was in fact a funny one. The death was funny due to the victim final words.

3) Best Mystery/ horror. Mystery & horror are unrelated. I wanted to nominate Liar Game but there is no horror in it ... So, it's confusing.

4) Best Plot twist/ epic moment. Both notions are again unrelated. An epic moment is not often linked to a plot twist for me. The notion "epic" is also very hard to defined

NB: post purely informational & I won't argue (anymore ...) if someone don't agree.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last day to get your nominations in everyone !!! We need many more members nominating for the MH Manga Awards 2011, so where are all of the nominations... ??? !!!!! Come and nominate if you haven't yet !!!!!!!!

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I kinda agree with Zellogan, the double topic awards were quite awkward. In the end one of the two categories took over most of the nominations. If the problem is that it makes two many thread, maybe we can make some every two years instead of yearly.

Last edited:

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you to all the people who participated in this phase of the awards by nominating and supporting their favorite candidates for each one of the different categories. The nomination period has officially come to an end.

The staff will now proceed to count the nomination “votes” to find out which nominees (only 5 nominees) will proceed to the next stage of the awards.

We’ll announce the results soon so stay tuned. :)

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Keep sharing your opinions. we do take them under consideration and listen to them.

we merged Saddest Moments and Best Death for space reasons, if I recall. blame Nuno.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
ya, to echo M3J,

as we've found with the last Awards, that the threads that were on the 2nd page, weren't noticed by the members, so we decided to keep the categories limited to fitting on just a single page this time around with this Award now.

Please give us your thoughts, opinions, and feedback, on this matter as well as any others :D

Last edited:

Gotenkss

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
The Voting Process

-After 5 nominees have been selected for each one of the different award categories, the voting process will begin. The voting will be poll-based and separate threads will be created for each one of the different award categories.

-You don’t have to vote for all the award categories, but you can only vote for a category once. So please make sure you are voting for the series/character/event you really want to vote for before clicking on the poll.

-Once you have cast your vote, please feel free to continue the discussion about the nominees and who you think will be the winners of this contest.

-The winners of each award category will be the ones that earn the most votes.

-The voting process will take place from the moment we have enough nominees for the various award categories until the following two weeks. The results of the MangaHelpers Awards will be posted four days after the closing of the voting process.
Once nominations are completed, how exactly are we going to vote.
In the same thread or in separate Poll thread.......

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Same thread. The polls will be edited in.

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it would be great if you guys would make another announcement on the front page about the voting with links to all the threads of each category. We should get a lot more voters and it will hopefully make for a close matchup now that the nominations are down to 5 in most of the categories.