Voting Round 1 - Nana vs. Kakegurui | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Nana vs. Kakegurui

Who wins?

• Nana

• Kakegurui

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MArGi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Nana
Ai Yazawa
-

Kakegurui
Kawamoto Homura

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I can't really google the second so I vote for Nana

Nana:
Art: 12/15
Story: 13/15 (After Volume 10 it kinda went downhill)
Characters: 8.5/10
Fights/Conflicts: 4/5
Enjoyability: 3.75/5

41.25/50

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I can't really google the second so I vote for Nana
You don't know how much goods you are missing..

Honestly, Nana is one of the three titles in this all event that is unknown to me ( Or I simply don't remember it :whistle) I will wait for Farfalla post before making my decision( Maybe I will end up even reading Nana )

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Gotta go with Yumeko at least once, voting Kakegurui :blush:blush:blush

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Nana sounds like a bad attempt at a college/musician life story and looks pretty boring. Art style is outdated too.

This is an easy one, vote for kakegurui. It has a better visuals, story, and subtext yuri.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Gambling gone sexual?
Of course I'll vote for Kakegurui. :kappa

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII @.@

Ok, I borderline BEG you guys to wait to read what I have to say about Nana first, before voting XD

Unfortunatelly, I'm at work right now and can't build something nice ç.ç But I'll be able to in a couple of hours (or well, at least try it XD )

Hence, please, unless you love Kakegurui or something, please save your vote for a bit^^ Much appreciated!

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII @.@

Ok, I borderline BEG you guys to wait to read what I have to say about Nana first, before voting XD

Unfortunatelly, I'm at work right now and can't build something nice ç.ç But I'll be able to in a couple of hours (or well, at least try it XD )

Hence, please, unless you love Kakegurui or something, please save your vote for a bit^^ Much appreciated!
I am sorry, but your series promotes smoking. At least gambling can't give you cancer.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Both are not accepted social behaviors - while gambling is a crime in many places - so it's up to each person to select the lesser of two evils XD But I'll go back to it in a bit.

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
You know what.. I will wait with voting and wanna see Farfosh campaigning zomg. I'm counting on you Farfosh! Can't wait for an amazing post from you that maybe will convince me.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Both are not accepted social behaviors - while gambling is a crime in many places - so it's up to each person to select the lesser of two evils XD But I'll go back to it in a bit.
The fact gambling is illegal in a lot of places just makes the risk higher, which of course makes things a lot more fun~

You're MC looks like a coworker of mine, way too real for me.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Gambling gone sexual?
Of course I'll vote for Kakegurui. :kappa

Oh but if its what you need here you are !!

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
just saying, have never watched or read nana, but google is such a fantastic tool :teehee

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
While @Farfalla is taking her time to defend a bad manga about my life :kappa, let's talk about Kakegurui.

Kakegurui is probably one of the best series about gambling to come out in a long time. In that it has a heavy focus on the Negative Aspects of Gambling: Compulsive Gambling and Cheating.

The MC, Yumeko Jabami, is a cute, hot girl with
A lot of money
that transfers into a wealthy school where the children of elites using gambling as a form of psychological warfare. So much so that owing a heavy debt can
force your life to be written for you
. Our little snake eater ruins the order at the school with her insane gambling addiction and uses it to cause chaos among the upper echeloens.

In addition, Yumeko is also a great mentalist, being able to call out cheats and beat them. To her, cheating is just adding new rules to the game.

The gambles are usually about money, but can range from other stuff like Life and Death.

The series interestingly takes place in a High School. Gambling among teens is actually a thing, so the series has some basis.

Art wise, it's very modern and up to date. It mixes high school anime art style with psycho thriller anime style. Very interesting contrasts.
Oh but if its what you need here you are !!

just saying, have never watched or read nana, but google is such a fantastic tool :teehee
But Nana isn't a GAMBLING MANGA gone sexual, Kakegurui is.

You really should let Fary campaign on her own, you're only here to support her and not the series.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
well im just teasing zasz cant campaign about something i don't know about, but im supporting Farf 100% it's a deal i had with her

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with Kakegurui.

You won't see anywhere else people getting orgasm by Gambling.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
(a small touch Mr. Farfalla taught me about)

First of all, please excuse my analysis, synthesis and writing skills u.u​

Longass version: I recommend everyone to read Nana... and endure the first chapters (although some are hooked after those already). They are not sloppy shoujo-like material, but a ground 0 for everything. They're the basis for us to be able to percieve the depth of some characters, and how they develop. The relationships and connections in Nana are very realistic, they represent what happens in life, so the characters' growth, as time naturally passes by, feels only natural.

I'll admit Nana will most likely not appeal to everyone here - but it's definitely not a girly story. I believe Nana will appeal the most to those who feel that are in a personal journey, somehow, trying to get wtf is on with themselves. I personally appreciate series that get me to think. Nana is too immersive, too real, too easy to relate to, it draws you... Every character and their own journey at time portrait things we live ourselves, as if mirroring those.

A fair warning is that Nana is often about sorrow - and how mundane that is. And also about finding joy beyond feeling blessed or blissed. The story and its flow has too many layers, but remains unassuming. You might not grow to love nor hate any character but still enjoy the blend of flaws and virtues they exhibit.

It's basically about two girls, with very different personalities and backgrounds, that end up sharing a lot of each other's day, and the ones around them. Music is very present in the series (something I love) and the whole context and plot will revolve around affairs, drugs, scandals, infidelity, sickness and other indigestible topics. But to me, the series is mostly about bonds and transforming. It also addresses the situation of what would happen when feelings simply aren't there anymore and when you have to be mature enough to make your choices that decide someone else's life, delving into tangled emotions.

TL;DR version: it's about normal people living normal lives and it easily captures the readers' sympathy. As a josei, meant for a more mature audience, it has a way deeper and consistent plot, script, characters and the likes than most of the emotional stories people might be used to. It's addicting *-*

There are 84 chapters available and sadly it's been on hiatus since 2009 due to the mangaka's illness T.T But here's a number sample to testify for its quality:

1. Ranking of series by total sales volume per year

2. Top 10 series according to volume sales

That's it for now I guess '-'​

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Damn that was a pretty good post... sadly I've read some of Kakegurui and not Nana...

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Kakegurui is probably one of the best series about gambling to come out in a long time.
That's not a big competition pool, tho '-'"
Damn that was a pretty good post... sadly I've read some of Kakegurui and not Nana...
Gladly for us, young souls, there's always time \o/

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
>Read past the first chapters

And that's a series flaw for a story, you really need a hook with in the first few chapters to draw people. In Kakegurui, it's a royal flush and crazy faces and dialogue.

You can have mature normal life manga, but Nana is pretty bad on selling itself on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.