Voting Round 1 - Nana vs. Kakegurui | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Nana vs. Kakegurui

Who wins?

• Nana

• Kakegurui

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
That's a very biased and basis-lacking post, though '-'" So far it feels like you're just repeating two or three sentences about Kakegurui (and its far-fetched high school gambling universe) and shooting bullets everywhere towards Nana, with either impressions or nitpicking points.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Damn that was a pretty good post... sadly I've read some of Kakegurui and not Nana...
Same here, I haven't read either, but sadly I've watched an episode of Kakegurui. Definitely voting for Nana.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
That's a very biased and basis-lacking post, though '-'" So far it feels like you're just repeating two or three sentences about Kakegurui (and its far-fetched high school gambling universe) and shooting bullets everywhere towards Nana, with either impressions or nitpicking points.
I only speak from a writing perspective, luv.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
For me, the best part of Kakegurui is the Choice Poker.

Manyuda is a prime example of a risk-adverse gambler. This means they limit the risk they take based on their hand. In order for Yumeko to exploit it, she downgrades her full house to a three of a kind jacks in order to have him think he has a stronger hand. This leads to a bidding war with him and Sumeragi, to which point she bets her life. He wins the choice advantage, but ultimately falls prey to the gambit.

Anyone who has played poker KNOWS that was a good sell and actually probably the best gamble to date.

Another good point for series is Ryota makes a great narrator and rule explainer for the games played.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
I'll check some chapters laters to be able to properly respond.
But so far what I saw is that the art is Kakegurui main asset, favoring fanservice that carries a lot of the series, while the plot/concept is lustlacking compared to the likes of Kaiji and Akagi ._.' now I have my doubts about it being a reference even among gambling series.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I'll check some chapters laters to be able to properly respond.
But so far what I saw is that the art is Kakegurui main asset, favoring fanservice that carries a lot of the series, while the plot/concept is lustlacking compared to the likes of Kaiji and Akagi ._.' now I have my doubts about it being a reference even among gambling series.
Kakegurui has better
than Kaiji and Akgai ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Akagi is about mahjong, where is Kakegurui is more wide open. And gambling is a rich man's hobby and a poor man's trap, both are emphasized in Kaiji and Akagi. (Mary is basically Kaiji aka the poor woman).

And if you reference that famous youtube video, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. For an addicted like Yumeko, the largest risk isn't money but her freedom to gamble. That's been up to bet twice now. Besides, the series turns escape gambling into real tests of fortitude (Indian Poker and Life and Death)

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
I think one aspect of Kakegurui people seem to skip is that how gambling can ruin you.

It beautifully shows how bad it is to gamble.You will be ruined financially, relationships break and you may even become slaves.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I think one aspect of Kakegurui people seem to skip is that how gambling can ruin you.

It beautifully shows how bad it is to gamble.You will be ruined financially, relationships break and you may even become slaves.
YES, that's why I love Kakegurui! It shows how bad gambling can be and how insane it is.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I haven't read either, but I know that Nana is quite good from a few people I know. Probably a lot better than Kakegurui.

But I will vote Kakegurui because of Nana's ears and tail.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't read either. So I'm siding with the more passionate endorsement. Nana gets my vote.

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
If @syx and @Jammin vote for it, i'll go with you guys.

You only have to return me the favor, when i ask you :bob

Besides, no one is better at portraying bad luck as my Kaiji-san, while Akagi is the guinness' world record book for the longest gamble play ever played, no no, i didn't like that ¬¬

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
No piece of media has had me wishing to remove my testicles as hard as Nana did. Take that as you will.

Edit: but its awesome and amazing and it made my testies grow again. This post may or may have not been influenced by Farfalla.

Edit 2: not Farfalla, it came from me, I swear.

Edit 3: ok she wont talk to me I screwed up.

Edit 4: ok she is back to speaking: this show gave me an antiboner.

Edit 5: fuck it no more beers.

Edit 6: ok guys vote for the manga with more titties, trust your heart.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Ok, real talk.

This series definetly wasn't for me. I'd say I almost hate it. But even without Farfalla threatening me with a knife I'd vote for it, and there's a good reason:

It's good. Like, real good. It's not for everyone, clearly, yet it's impossible to deny its merits. Whoever wrote this shit -fuck I'm lazy and drunk to check her name- might had been the most creative sadist in the world, and it shows this talent in abundance. The characters are extremely relatable and well written, and perhaps due to this it hit me so hard ( #TeamNobu #FuckYouTakumiJustBecauseYouAreOPInFireEmblemDoesntGiveYouAnyPrivilegesYouAsshole).

Once I read a review of this manga saying something like: "I hate myself for reading this, but I can't stop. 10/10 would cry again" which seems quite accurate.

senjuclan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Kakegurui of course
didn't like Nana that much

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I haven't read either. So I'm siding with the more passionate endorsement. Nana gets my vote.
Excuse me?

You don't think I am passionate about a gambling manga? Please.

Story time!

So my interesting in gambling goes back to playing no cash poker with my father when I was a little dyke. My dad was good at bluffing, which made me mad because I was easy to read back. I started watching the World Series of Poker, where the main game was Texas Hold'Em (the form of poker I still play today). I became emotionally attached to reads and bluffs (and horrible calls, the rage in teenage me was real). In 2005, my man Joe Hachem (AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI OI OI) won the WSOP, which started my fantasies about skill gambling and Australia (Yes @SirSamuel016 , my interest for your homeland starts with a game of cards). In high school, I got a case of chips and a table and some other things to play poker with for my birthday and WSOP the video game. I was stoked.

Sadly, I rarely found anyone near me who passionate about poker as I was so, so the use got little. (I still play one person poker from time to time).

In college, I was watching an AMV hell video which had a clip of Rio! Rainbow Gate, which I was excited to watch only to be disappointed with the lack of material and plot.

When I found Kakegurui, I was excited to read a GOOD gambling manga and it's reigniting my passion for card gambling. I am now a serious follower of the series, which sadly only is a monthly release.

Now if only I could find friends who like to play poker with me :8C

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Paradise Kiss by Nana's author was what introduced me to the josei genre many years ago. Love the art style that I find cute and unique and Ai Yazawa's characters felt so human to me. My favorite characters are Yasu and Nana (the musician). Hachi frustrated me at times, but I still think she was one of the best written and most complex characters in the manga.

Last edited:

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
Paradise Kiss by Nana's author was what introduced me to the josei genre many years ago. Love the art style that I find cute and unique and Ai Yazawa's characters were complex and felt so human to me. My favorite characters are Yasu and Nana (the musician).
Haya-san, you are one of the few that I can count on, that guide me always to the correct path. Voting for Nana... is that the correct path? Say it loud and clear to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.