Semifinal - Natsu vs August | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Natsu vs August

Who wins this SF battle?

• Natsu Dragneel

• August

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Joker
To be fair, it's usually the same people who cause the issues and I've seen this before from her so she should especially know. But thanks for the moderation :)

August wins simply cause he can copy his dragon slayer magic, anything caster he can copy. Natsu is stronger however.
I don't insult quote anyone i just come here to post my opinion but here ppl find it hard to accept a different opinion. With that said, I don't attack ppl first but i do attack them back if necessary. If you feel uncomfortable cuz of me then i'm sorry.

Well copying also comes with nullification....
If he can't nullify then he can't copy. I don't think he can cancel Natsu's magic not at his DF.

Pheromone

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
Moreover, we get almost nothing about the other perks and implications of him having magic that's 'neither light nor dark'
If I recall correctly, he only stated that "magic was neither light nor dark." That was just him going Socrates after flooring Jellal.

At any rate, we should keep the discussion pertinent to the match-up.

OharaLibrarian

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Wait, so you think Natsu with NO magic, could defeat August?
Yup, that's an unpopular opinion to say the least.
Even Gildarts with actually a magic working on August (his arm) couldn't do anything more than a nose bleed. There's no way Natsu beats August with only CQC.
That's a good point, though keep in mind all Gildarts's arm did was power up his physical damage, not cause any Crash effect. I'd vouch Natsu can generate something more powerful than that (to clarify, Natsu amplifying his physical damage thanks to his magic (with a concept similar to that of Yuka) rather than just going in with just his fists). Also, as I mentioned, if August tried to counter Natsu's magic he'd only allow him to get more powerful, thus avoiding any type of fatigue, while Gildarts's attack caused quite some fatigue on August (wasn't just a nosebleed, he was seemingly having issues standing up, supporting the weight of his body with his legs).

inactive lurker account

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
If I recall correctly, he only stated that "magic was neither light nor dark." That was just him going Socrates after flooring Jellal.

At any rate, we should keep the discussion pertinent to the match-up.
The way I see it, he made a general claim about darkness and light and their relation to good and evil, and he made a specific claim about his own magic power wavering in the in-between as an example to bolster his general claim. Anyway, the point still stands that much about him is left unclear, not even Precht bothered to examine further details about August's magic. But anyway I simply wanted to say that Hiro's negligence severely hampered the king of magic the most, out of the Spriggan 12.

On a more meta note, perhaps those such as myself who overestimate and optimize August like to speculate about the many things such a character template can do if unimpeded, while maybe those who underestimate and downplay August would prefer to cut down expectations on a side character whose relevance is questionable at best...

Enima

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think August takes this mid-high diff. I don't think August can copy DS magic but nevertheless August's MP is still too high for Natsu. Even without copy magic August still has a huge arsenal of spells. IMO anyone who's strong enough to make Gildarts look like fodder is strong enough to beat Natsu. August will be the winner with or without copy magic. I do find the "August can copy DS magic because it was never stated he can't" statement funny, it's like saying Elfman could turn into a dragon because he uses beast soul and it was never stated he can' do that.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
What in the name of Bikini Bottom is going the fuck on.... this thread has only been opened for a day and it already has 200 comments. I don't understand, the manga stated that August can copy any caster magic. Dragon Slayer Magic is labeled as Caster and Lost Magic. August can copy it no matter how much people twist around facts. I think everyone knows Natsu is stronger than August in terms of power and close combat, savage dragon fire would basically murk him. However what can he do with no DSM at his disposal? We're making up stuff if we say he can beat him with no magic. PoF Natsu is the strongest character in the series not named Acnologia, August is just a bad matchup. Flat out.

inactive lurker account

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
The problem with using feats as benchmarks is that, well, actions and performances can be interpreted broadly or narrowly. Even if we assume that there are unstated limits to a certain character's abilities, this doesn't mean we would be able to identify what those limits are...

In another note, how do we assess August's in-universe reputation? It seems rumors about him are known to older mages like Makarov and the higher-up wizard saints such as Warrod, and it seems they haven't figured out the main restriction of his copying ability. The empire has every reason to inflate and exaggerate the accounts, but I personally think his magic collection is really vast so as to encompass almost all categories of magic. Too bad we won't know how many spells the guy has copied in his life

ADDENDUM: This thread feels like another August vs Irene proxy war

Last edited:
Reactions: Jko

Jko

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, then the case is closed as August was able to nullify Laxus' nuke. What was it if it was not a dragon slaying magic?
He didn't nullify it he used a barrier.

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
What in the name of Bikini Bottom is going the fuck on.... this thread has only been opened for a day and it already has 200 comments. I don't understand, the manga stated that August can copy any caster magic. Dragon Slayer Magic is labeled as Caster and Lost Magic. August can copied it no matter how much people twist around facts. I think everyone knows Natsu is stronger than August in terms of power and close combat, savage dragon fire would basically murk him. However what can he do with no DSM at his disposal? We're making up stuff if we say he can beat him with no magic. PoF Natsu is the strongest character in the series not named Acnologia, August is just a bad matchup. Flat out.
Uh... I don't think it was ever mentioned that he could copy any type of caster magic. If it was mentioned, which chapter was it in? Besides more than winning against Natsu this could decide whether August wins against Irene or not. It was stated that Irene is the only spriggan capable of beating August. But if August could copy DS magic he would wipe the floor with Irene. This is the second time August is going up against a DS and he'll probably face Irene in the finals so deciding whether he could copy DS magic or not is kinda important.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Uh... I don't think it was ever mentioned that he could copy any type of caster magic. If it was mentioned, which chapter was it in? Besides more than winning against Natsu this could decide whether August wins against Irene or not. It was stated that Irene is the only spriggan capable of beating August. But if August could copy DS magic he would wipe the floor with Irene. This is the second time August is going up against a DS and he'll probably face Irene in the finals so deciding whether he could copy DS magic or not is kinda important.
There are two types of magics in FT: Caster and Holder. August cannot copy holder magic. What's left? He can copy DSM, doesn't matter if we haven't seen it or questions if the "melt" explosion was regular fire magic or fire dsm, we have to go with what the manga tells us. DSM is a caster, so August can copy it.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
They got hurt from the concessive force. Just like Natsu was damage by Jackal's attacks. He wasn't hurt by the heat he was hurt from the blunt damage.

Mest couldn't even take Marin' s attack yet hes supposed to take a fraction of that attack? The heat would've incarcerated him.

Irene was dead...
Sure, concussive force, whatever, if you wanna say thats what Mest got hit by then by all means, say it. However August's barrier protected Azir from that as well, so its still superior.

Yep, EIleen was dead and yet he still went to go see her despite Natsu, Sting, Rogue, Laxus, Cobra and Gajeel all being alive. Or are you gonna tell me Wendy is the most powerful dragon slayer now? No, Acno went to Eileen because he wanted to pay his "respects" to his dear old mum.

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are two types of magics in FT: Caster and Holder. August cannot copy holder magic. What's left? He can copy DSM, doesn't matter if we haven't seen it or questions if the "melt" explosion was regular fire magic or fire dsm, we have to go with what the manga tells us. DSM is a caster, so August can copy it.
But the magic used by Gildarts was crash (caster type), he just channeled the attack through his prosthetic arm

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
But the magic used by Gildarts was crash (caster type), he just channeled the attack through his prosthetic arm
Facts, you said it yourself. Since he channeled it through his fake arm he couldn't copy then neutralize it. Natsu is 100% all flesh so it's a different scenario.

Laxus chan-yo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
August IS the strongest mage in the Fairy Tail verse. Now that we are coming to a conclusion of the series that chapter title by Mashima was not for shits and giggles. Only two beings are stronger than him: Acnologia and Igneel. I wouldn't even put Grandinay or Metallicana on his level. Not even shitting anyone right now. He IS stronger than Zeref as a mage but Zeref might outlast him a 1 on 1 due to immortality. August has access to innumerable incredibly hax magics that if used them without plot inconvenience would be devastating. Jellal's meteor, plus Gildarts's crash, plus Dimaria's timestop, plus historia etc. All that added to the fact that his magical power is so incredible and far supersedes all those he copies, thus all these magics are all likely more effective in his hands. Natsu has 0 chance whatsoever.

August is so broken that he should not have been allowed to participate in this tournament along with Acnologia and Igneel.

Enima

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Facts, you said it yourself. Since he channeled it through his fake arm he couldn't copy then neutralize it. Natsu is 100% all flesh so it's a different scenario.
But it still contradicts the statement that "August can copy any magic other than holder type". Crash is a caster type magic and August wasn't able to copy it. So August can't copy all types of caster magic, there are some exceptions. We still haven't seen him copying a lost magic which is a special type of magic (I'm pretty sure they didn't name it that way because it sounds cool It must've been different). So basically we have no proof he could copy DS magic.:hee

Reactions: Jko

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
But it still contradicts the statement that "August can copy any magic other than holder type". Crash is a caster type magic and August wasn't able to copy it. So August can't copy all types of caster magic, there are some exceptions. We still haven't seen him copying a lost magic which is a special type of magic (I'm pretty sure they didn't name it that way because it sounds cool It must've been different). So basically we have no proof he could copy DS magic.:hee
No what we got from this is he can't copy holder or concrete material. It's why we all agreed something like weapons, transformations, armor he can't copy cause it's concrete. So in truth a DSM-infused sword Erza used to slash Dragon Irene would be able to harm August and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It was a holder version of Crash, just like Erza's Wind God Armor is a holder version of Wind Magic. August can copy non-holder magic and since DS magic is non-holder he can copy it too.
Fairy Glitter is more special than any lost magic.

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure, concussive force, whatever, if you wanna say thats what Mest got hit by then by all means, say it. However August's barrier protected Azir from that as well, so its still superior.

Yep, EIleen was dead and yet he still went to go see her despite Natsu, Sting, Rogue, Laxus, Cobra and Gajeel all being alive. Or are you gonna tell me Wendy is the most powerful dragon slayer now? No, Acno went to Eileen because he wanted to pay his "respects" to his dear old mum.
Which is why he could have ate it to stop that just like Natsu ate Jackal's explosion to protect Lucy, Wendy, and the former councillor. Those screams could've been out of fright as well since they didn't have slither of damage afterwards. And concussive attacks don't work on Ajeel's sand body.

Yes, but Acno noted every DS after that. If August had DS they would've literally commented on it. Everyone DS in this show has been explicitly stated to be a DS. I don't see why August wouldn't commented on as well.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
August IS the strongest mage in the Fairy Tail verse. Now that we are coming to a conclusion of the series that chapter title by Mashima was not for shits and giggles. Only two beings are stronger than him: Acnologia and Igneel. I wouldn't even put Grandinay or Metallicana on his level. Not even shitting anyone right now. He IS stronger than Zeref as a mage but Zeref might outlast him a 1 on 1 due to immortality. August has access to innumerable incredibly hax magics that if used them without plot inconvenience would be devastating. Jellal's meteor, plus Gildarts's crash, plus Dimaria's timestop, plus historia etc. All that added to the fact that his magical power is so incredible and far supersedes all those he copies, thus all these magics are all likely more effective in his hands. Natsu has 0 chance whatsoever.

August is so broken that he should not have been allowed to participate in this tournament along with Acnologia and Igneel.
He isn't the strongest mage. Irene's Dragon Form, and base Zeref are two people stronger than him. Fairy Heart Zeref is on Acno's level so he's leagues above August. Natsu beat FH Zeref which means he's leagues above August as well. August is not the strongest mage.

Right now for the mage list it's
Acno
FH Zeref/Natsu
Irene
August

Jellal's meteor is not that fast, Historia only works for the dead, and everyone above Dim has a counter to Age Seal. All in all I would put August as the strongest Human, but he's not as strong as EoS Natsu, Dragons, or the Immortal.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Which is why he could have ate it to stop that just like Natsu ate Jackal's explosion to protect Lucy, Wendy, and the former councillor. Those screams could've been out of fright as well since they didn't have slither of damage afterwards. And concussive attacks don't work on Ajeel's sand body.

Yes, but Acno noted every DS after that. If August had DS they would've literally commented on it. Everyone DS in this show has been explicitly stated to be a DS. I don't see why August wouldn't commented on as well.
Eating it didnt stop Mest and stuff getting hit from Melt, August barrier provided better protection.
Ha, screams from fright? So now you've changed your mind and gone from trying to sell "concussive force" damaging them, to saying that it was mere screams of fear? And you're seriously trying to tell me you're not grasping at straws? Haha. They were screaming in pain because they were hit by August's spell, Lucy even says they were hit, its canon.
Just face the facts dude, we have the feats, barrier provides %100 percent protection, negation provides less than %100, therefore barrier>negation. August using a barrier means nothing, it was the smarter choice, the more effective choice, he wouldve been foolish to do something so clearly less effective.

Acnologia didnt note Natsu, or Laxus, he pays attention to who's close to him.
August not being stated to be DS is because its much too small a title to label him with, its not important enough to him as a character, unlike every other DS. August got all he needed to be confirmed capable of copying DS magic, Melt being present in Gildarts explanation makes it clear.

inactive lurker account

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
In terms of power, the special dragons such as Acnologia and Igneel surpass August. In terms of magecraft, Zeref most likely surpasses August because he had more time to learn stuff, assuming of course that Zeref spent his time wisely. Still, August with that ability of his may very well be the one who has the most number of magic categories and spells at his disposal, only that Zeref focused on the deadlier and more forbidden arts along with some artifacts and instruments, therefore allowing him to do things August is unable to do...

As for Irene, one can say she has better physical stats as a dragon, but it's questionable if she is superior to August in magecraft, considering that ever since becoming a dragon she didn't seem to spend time perfecting her enchantments

What may be said about August though is that of all the mages so far, he's the only one who's known to be an exceptional enfant terrible from birth. Irene, Mavis, and Zeref are acknowledged as prodigies of some sort, but not from the day they were born. The closest analogue to this sort of privilege would be Natsu, as E.N.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.