Info/Discussion - One Piece Awards Info & Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info/Discussion One Piece Awards Info & Discussion Thread

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Welcome to the Awards for

An award event where you, the fans, nominate and decide what you think is the best in One Piece!

This is the thread where you can discuss general topics related to the event and give thoughts, impressions and feedback before, during and after the event. In essence it's a hangout.

The concept is the same as the annual Manga Awards here at MH, except for one detail: Instead of allowing only the top 5 nominations to proceed to the voting round, we will now allow every nomination. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the format and concept, here's an overview:

Award FormatThe event will consist of two phases: A nomination and a voting phase, each consisting of one week, with one day break in between for administrative reasons. There will be 20 different categories decided by the staff to nominate and vote in

Nomination Phase (Jan 18th-Jan 25th): The community makes their nominations in the category threads. If something has already been nominated before, it's of course allowed to simply state support of that nomination to build up hype and campaign for that nomination.

Break (Jan 26th): For administrative reasons.

Voting Phase (Jan 27th-Feb 3rd): A poll is created of all the nominations, and you, the fans, have one week to decide what to vote for and convince as many as you can to support your votes to make the candidates you support turn out victorious.

Nomination Info - "How to nominate"Please remember, that you may nominate only one candidate in each category. However during the nomination phase, you can always change your nomination.

For the nomination phase to run smoothly and to avoid situations where nominations weren't counted by accident, please state your nominations clearly. It is preferable to highlight the nominated candidate with bolded red text. Example: "I nominate <insert candidate> for <insert category>", preferably followed by an explanation.

Voting Info - "How to vote"Once the nomination round is over and the polls are made, the voting round begins. Please keep in mind that a vote if final. Discuss your opinion and think it through before voting. Choose wisely, because we won't change the votes if you reconsider later on.

We hope this will be a fun event that can turn into an annual event here in the One Piece Section. The list of categories can be seen in the section [HERE].

If there's any questions, feel free to contact any of the One Piece Staff by PM or post in this thread.

Last edited:

BlackHair

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Quick question: just as Jorge asked, can we nominate a whole rank for character related awards? Im talking about "Underrated Character" awards in specific.

Further I think it would be nice to have a "best entrance award" just as the Naruto section has. :derp

hoeru

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
Sorry, but the "Least favourite ..." categories suck ass and are simply used to flame the latest arc ... How can such a thing be "awarded" anyways?

And why are there only "overrated/annoying characters" in Bleach and Naruto awards?

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
You may call it "flaming", but I think it is rather expressing the disappointment. Still I understand where you are coming from. Regardless I think that such awards are needed. Because without negative criticism this will turn to just another "worship" thing. Which just equals stupid fanboyism imo.

Though I would like to avoid discussions in the nomination threads. Eevn stated in the OP, but I guess it is inevitable. xD

Edit: Adding to my request for a "entrance award" I also would to have awards for flashbacks, like the saddest or favourite/lest favourite. Flashbacks is in OP the grounding of a arc. Without flashbacks -> no character development. A arc without developed characters is just a doll story.

Last edited:

hoeru

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
"Negative criticism" is one thing. Having half a dozen users supporting a specific nomination with "reasons" like "made me stop reading OP" or "scum arc" or "Nazi/Jewish theme"(THE FUCK?!) are going beyond "criticism". I haven't read a single nomination with long reasoning in there that wasn't flaming to me. And there's still the question on why having these specific categories only for One Piece... (I don't expect that has changed since my last post. I wouldn't wish them to be there anyways...)

I still think having "least favorite" nominations are a big failure of these awards that are supposed to make the community "nominate and decide what you think is the best in One Piece!" There won't be anything that would make think different about it.

But please ... have fun!

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Character categories are one thing, group categories are another. They can not be mixed as they are two different things.

Also how can one not allow someone to express the opinion on an arc or character that they did not like? That is their opinion and there has to be a category for favorite and least favorite, not everyone can like everything. They can offer criticism as it is a core of debate, if someone goes over the line his post will be deleted and he will be dealt with by the staff. Everyone here can say what they disliked it is only natural that one can not like something. And everyone knows of the Oscars but do the know of the "Golden Raspberry"? Some things are best some are worst. Things do not have the same value for everyone.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
"Negative criticism" is one thing. Having half a dozen users supporting a specific nomination with "reasons" like "made me stop reading OP" or "scum arc" or "Nazi/Jewish theme"(THE FUCK?!) are going beyond "criticism". I haven't read a single nomination with long reasoning in there that wasn't flaming to me. And there's still the question on why having these specific categories only for One Piece... (I don't expect that has changed since my last post. I wouldn't wish them to be there anyways...)

I still think having "least favorite" nominations are a big failure of these awards that are supposed to make the community "nominate and decide what you think is the best in One Piece!" There won't be anything that would make think different about it.

But please ... have fun!
I merely talked about the "Nazi/Jewish theme" because of the persecution aspect which play a major part in the arc. Don't take that to the first degree. "scum arc" is the only "insult" given to the arc in what you quoted ... and the guy who said that used other arguments as well. And I just don't see why "Nazi/Jewish theme" & "made me stop reading" are beyond criticism. There are no insults in those two arguments

But anyways, just because you felt that the Fishman Island Arc was awesome doesn't mean that we need to think the same. Most of us gave arguments. If you can't deal with those categories, just don't read it. I was away for more than 10 chapters from the "One piece chapter discussion" at the end of the arc because I didn't like it.

NB: I still feel that the world will collapse the day we will agree on something :).

Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The theme was racism and it is a universal topic. Please do not bring in such topics into a manga discussion as they are off-topic here, it is ok to point out that an arc had such a theme but do not form a discussion over the theme not related to the arc.

[mod=Josef K.]Do not attack ethnic groups and nationalities, before this goes further into that direction a fair warning. [/mod]

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
The big 3 awards do not appear in the event section of Mangahelpers banner. There is only the general awards so far. Hence I notice they started only by chance.

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Character categories are one thing, group categories are another. They can not be mixed as they are two different things.
So this nomination is invalid? Just asking to make sure.

Also Josek, if Im not asking too much, could u plz edit ur first post the the quote section to make it more readable? That's the most important award for me. I have rly great hope in that thread. OP has so many great lines, I wish more ppl would post lines. Putting "Im gone be PK" aside xD

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Most Overrated Character
H.M.K - Buggy
Nominating Buggy? The problem is that he was never rated high at all, yes he has the potential to become a powerful character for Paradise standards with his DF but his only fans were always those ID escapees.

GiantAlienHamster - Shiki
"His strenght was supposed to be comparable to the likes of Garp, Roger, Sengoku... well, it was not."
In the manga it was or else Marineford wouldn't have ended up as it has and in the anime/movie Luffy had no chance if it wasn't for the use of the natural force, thunder, which wasn't part of his own power. Did you want to see Shiki win in the end, because until that moment he was dominating the rest of the movie.

BlackHair - Big Mam
"Even though she hasn't been properly introduced to the story yet, I believe she will not live up to her status."
Why does her character seem disappointing?[We had this discussion two weeks ago.:P] Because her focus lies on sweets? Luffy's lies on meat, is he disappointing too? You don't expect Charlotte to be high-tier material, but by being a Yonkou that's proven false until shown otherwise Imo. All that rant about herm before we've even seen BigMam in action could make her the most underrated character in future awards.

edit: The rent was directed to everyone.^^ I had mixed feeling about posting here too... I don't expect users except for the regular posters to look into this thread.

another one:
mattiaildivino - Dracule "Hawk-Eye" Mihawk
"don't forget he is just a shichibukai..."
That argument alone is mindblowing. How does it relate to anything, it's a simple title given to pirates who cooperate with the World Government, granting them the freedom of a Bounty Hunter. Another excerpt from the Mihawk Power Lvl discussion:
"...he should have haki, but it doesn't mean much, he is the strongest swordsman because he is the best one in using swords, but he would be stomped by a lot of other warriors."
We've seen and been proven just how important haki can be, how can you make a statement like that? Oo
His titles says "World's Greatest Swordsman" not strongest and your try argue that he's weaker than Jozu because he deflected a long range attack from a swordman. One would asume that his direct contact attacks would be stronger, the whole argumentation seems flawed to tell the truth.

Last edited:

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
BlackHair - Big Mam
"Even though she hasn't been properly introduced to the story yet, I believe she will not live up to her status."
Why does her character seem disappointing?[We had this discussion two weeks ago.:P] Because her focus lies on sweets? Luffy's lies on meat, is he disappointing too? You don't expect Charlotte to be high-tier material, but by being a Yonkou that's proven false until shown otherwise Imo. All that rant about herm before we've even seen BigMam in action could make her the most underrated character in future awards.
Dude u are exaggerating I didn't rant, did I? :p Yes I do remember our discussion.

Its just her introduction was silly and disappointing. She doesn't has this awesome vibe. To be more clear this is about her:

• silly addiction to candy
  • below average and impressionless dialogues
  • disappointing character design
  • first Yonkou to face the SHs (maybe even the first major villain in the New World)
Three out of four points leads to a lazy vibe, same as Moria and Wapol. This is not just about one trace, but about several together tied character traces.

The main reason I nominated her was because of all that discussion about her introduction 2 weeks before, as there was a break. I was so damn tired of always repeating my arguments and didn't like the fact that ppl expect her to be damn strong. Without even seeing the possibility that she might be not that great after all. I mean even though I don't expect her to be high-tier, I still easily see a possibility in her being one. Now why can't those who support her status see a possibility in her being not a high tier?

Basically i was tired that my arguments didn't reach anyone. Because of that I nominated her in that category. However for the same reason I would perfectly understand if you would nominate her in the most underrated character awards.

btw nice of u posting in this thread. So far ppl (my included) only posted in the award threads, even though it was said not to xD

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Thank you for all your nominations guys! The nomination phase has now ended. The voting phase will commence on Thursday the 26th, after a one day break for administrative reasons. Make sure to come back then for the final round of the awards!

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Thats actually too bad, The quote award section is my favourite. Thus I must say Im a bit disappointed of the nominations. I mean nominating "I will become the PK" equals nominating someone calling Luffy by "Strawhat". Its a overused and cheesy line.

There were so many great lines, for instance Zoro's dialogue as Ussop left the crew or as Luffy Nami and Chopper were about to get Ussop back in.

Well I will have to open a "Epic Quote" Thread xD Not to confuse with already existing funny line thread or w/e.

PS: speaking of awards, the Oscar '12 nominations are out xD

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
schabrack in Best quote said:
raDar
k-dom did, but his version looks quite different. Thanks for posting the full version, it didn't feel like a speech before.^^
Well I will answer here since the threads are closed :-). It's a quote award not a speech award
The entire speech is great, but the important message from Hiluluk is the single phrase I will die when I'm forgotten.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ah, BlackHair^^, it seems Akainu already took care of all the threads including the Best Quote one, so I think he did a good job of getting the nominees to look better in the first post right?

Anyway voting is underway so VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
hehe :derp - I thank both of u for ur hard work.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
would have been cool if we had a favorite SuperNova poll. well its too late i guess. Anyways great work :thumbs

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
would have been cool if we had a favorite SuperNova poll. well its too late i guess. Anyways great work :thumbs
That is an interesting idea, we will surely take it into consideration next time. That might also mean to specify favorites from a group, like we have favorite group but now there will be specific favorites from the groups, favorite pirate, marine or even more detail supernova, straw hat members, it will be up for discussion no doubt, thanks for the input scav! :)

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Will it not end by luffy or zoro, like the favorite group will probably end with the strawhat ( may i be wrong ). For such awards i think it would be wise to ban the main characters as it kinda unbalance the vote