Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 29 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
How ? No, seriously, how ?

But are you really convinced that they will get there?

Really ?

Marineford? But do you have any idea how long it will take them to get there?

You truly knew everything and more

Let's hope the writers' strike saves us.
What? Nah, the OP live action lasting nearly as long as it needs for that would be insane. Add to that the multiple rather lackluster arcs (Punk hazard, WCI, thriller bark is ok but not great) it has to survive for that. Imagine how many recasts they would have to do over an aging crew if it advances that much.

IIRC in an interview they said something like the first half of the story being 6 seasons. Which is bonkers and suggests they want to do every story arc in paradise. I would assume season 2 will cover up to alabasta...

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Six seasons is definitely too long.

JBC008

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hopefully once the strikes are settled, we will get back to work. First getting Matt Owens to helm the Script department and handle the rest of the casting (I would like to see that Jamie Lee Curtic Dr. Kureha casting). If it stops at the end of Drum Island, I do think that would be a good slow burn to prepare for Alabasta. At first I thought if the whole season 2 would deal with the Alabasta Saga and then complete the rest of East Blue with Louge Town, I would say it would have been about a 10 episode season.
-Episode 1: Lougetown & Reverse Mountain
-Episode 2: Whiskey Peak
-Episode 3: Little Garden (part 1)
-Episode 4: Little Garden (part 2)
-Episode 5: Drum Island (part 1)
-Episode 6: Drum Island (part 2)
-Episode 7: Alabasta (part 1)
-Episode 8: Alabasta (part 2)
-Episode 9: Alabasta (part 3)
-Episode 10: Alabasta (part 4) conclusion
But if this is going to be up to Drum Island, here is my prediction (note that my episode head count is going to try to be 8, but it is still leading down to 7 for certain reasons unless certain early arcs are cut and extended).
-Episode 1: Finishes the East Blue Saga with Lougetown and the Straw Hats depart and make their way to the Grand line after going shopping as well as set up its characters and pieces for future installments
-Episode 2: Will begin with their voyage on the seas, briefly going into the Calm Belt and then going up Reverse Mountain and then being eaten by Laboon. Which will set up more of Baroque Works with Mr. 9 and Ms. Wednesday (Vivi). While also giving us a good amount of exposition on how to navigate the Grand Line.
-Episode 3: I predict will adapt Whisky Peak and give enough information on Baroque Works and their plot on taking over Alabasta. And end with us being told we are heading to Little Garden by Ms. All Sunday (Nico Robin).
-Episode 4: Will adapt the first half of Little Garden where we explore and have our battle with Dorey and Broggy where it ends in tragedy with the Giants taken down by Mr. 3, Mr. 5, Ms, Golden Week, and Ms. Valentine.
-Episode 5: Will finish Little Garden and end at the point where Nami gets sick and Vivi learns about the unfortunate news about what is happening in Alabasta.
-Episode 6: I predict will focus on the crew finding a doctor for Nami after meeting Wapol early on and then Luffy and Sanji traverse through the snow to get to the mountain top to rescue Nami. And ends when Luffy successfully climbs up the mountain with Nami and Sanji in tow.
-Episode 7: I predict will be a bit quiet episode (albiet with some flashbacks) as Luffy, Nami, and Sanji are being treated by Dr. Kureha and we learn about Choppers backstory.
-Episode 8: I predict will conclude Drum Island as Chopper is offered to join the crew after the defeat of Wapol. And ends with the Cherry Blossom mountain scene and says afterward "onward to Alabasta".

edit: this was taken from the WSJ 2023 fourm, I came from there as a way to talk about it.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I feel like the only way to do kureha right is to get a young person and use fancy hollywood makeup and whatnot to age her. An actual old person just wouldn't have her agility.

If I was the writers I'd skip little garden. It doesn't really play well into the rest of the stuff if you have to compress the plot, specially considering how massive alabasta is. Probably squish dorry and brogy somewhere else into the plot while fleshing out vivi and chopper more.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully once the strikes are settled, we will get back to work. First getting Matt Owens to helm the Script department and handle the rest of the casting (I would like to see that Jamie Lee Curtic Dr. Kureha casting). If it stops at the end of Drum Island, I do think that would be a good slow burn to prepare for Alabasta.
If they feel Arlong wasn't a strong enough villain, that they had to add Garp. Wapol is not a good enough villain to end season 2. I understand your sentiment. Maybe it would work if season 2 is a 2 parter of 5 to 6 episodes each. Then one part end with Drum Island.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
How ? No, seriously, how ?
Because it is a very good adaptation?

I feel like the only way to do kureha right is to get a young person and use fancy hollywood makeup and whatnot to age her. An actual old person just wouldn't have her agility.

If I was the writers I'd skip little garden. It doesn't really play well into the rest of the stuff if you have to compress the plot, specially considering how massive alabasta is. Probably squish dorry and brogy somewhere else into the plot while fleshing out vivi and chopper more.
Would it work better if we just skip whisky peak and have the 100 bounty hunters arrive in Logue Town to hunt down Luffy

then we can do Reverse mountain + the whale thing, then we can have drum island and little garden in 3 episodes total,

Little Garden is when Nami catches the disease

1 Episode Logue Town
3 of that
then 4 to cover alabasta

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
For me a season season would look somewhat like this:

1.- Logue town
2.- Logue town, reverse mountain
3.- Whisky peak
4.- Whisky peak-drum island
5.- Drum island
6.- Alabasta
7.- Alabasta
8.- Alabasta

Because it is a very good adaptation?

Would it work better if we just skip whisky peak and have the 100 bounty hunters arrive in Logue Town to hunt down Luffy

then we can do Reverse mountain + the whale thing, then we can have drum island and little garden in 3 episodes total,

1 Episode Logue Town
3 of that
then 4 to cover alabasta
Way too much stuff happens in logue town down. Zoro getting his swords, luffy's execution, buggy and alvida, smoker... All of that feels important enough as it is and buggy was already set up. You are right though, laboon and crockus need to be in the story, the episodes I just posted didn't consider that. reverse mountain and laboon/crockus need at least a full episode. Whiskey peak has luffy vs zoro which I would argue is worth keeping.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

Jamie Lee Curtis probably get the role if she take a pay cut. Getting someone with that big of a name for the show, maybe good. And a gateway for more mainstream actor to work for the show. Though, they gonna downgrade her agility. Jamie Lee Curtis did have action scenes i thought in Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Consider they did Usopp very dirty in season 1. LIttle Garden to his fight in Baroque Works would be a good character arc for him.

But Little Garden like Skypiea are crucial to build up relationship before something big happen. Little Garden/Drum is crucial to build up the relationship of Vivi toward Strawhat crew. Just like Skypiea is to Robin, prior to leaving the crew. Though slower time is very necessary. If they have 10-12 episodes instead of 8. It may works. So they don't squish it as much.

JBC008

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
If they feel Arlong wasn't a strong enough villain, that they had to add Garp. Wapol is not a good enough villain to end season 2. I understand your sentiment. Maybe it would work if season 2 is a 2 parter of 5 to 6 episodes each. Then one part end with Drum Island.
I have thought of that, which was why there have been "interesting" decisions on Netflix's part with the breaking up the seasons in parts like the final season of Ozark and season 4 of Stranger Things (which was only 2 episodes for part 2). But my feeling is that they might end with Drum Island as a way for production costs. And then get to Alabasta for season 3 where they will have enough money for their budget to go big on that arc.

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country

1.- Logue town
3.- Whisky peak
5.- Drum island
6.- Alabasta
7.- Alabasta
8.- Alabasta
I feel like they should do a 10 episode season, it'd fit the above better.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
They would have to do that in Twin Cape. However, it may take away from the potential danger of the Grandline. Like how a welcoming feast turn into an ambush. I know the manga played it like a gag, and the strawhats were never really in any danger. But I thought the concept was cool nonetheless. I am sure Netflix lean toward the danger side of the story. This Luffy is much weaker than his manga counterpart. Beside Whiskey Peak is one of the easier setting for them to adapt. And the theme of the lone gunman fighting in a western town against outlaws. Is very familiar troupe toward the mainstream audience.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

1.- Logue town
3.- Whisky peak
5.- Drum island
6.- Alabasta
7.- Alabasta
8.- Alabasta

Way too much stuff happens in logue town down. Zoro getting his swords, luffy's execution, buggy and alvida, smoker... All of that feels important enough as it is and buggy was already set up. You are right though, laboon and crockus need to be in the story, the episodes I just posted didn't consider that. reverse mountain and laboon/crockus need at least a full episode. Whiskey peak has luffy vs zoro which I would argue is worth keeping.
If they cut Little Garden after already not establishing the core of Usopp's character enough in Syrup Village, I will be very disappointed.

I'm fine with Whisky Peak being shortened into like half an episode, and for me personally (and I know a lot of the fandom agrees) Luffy vs. Zoro is one of the low points of all of One Piece so it's one of few things I hope they either change it or don't include it at all. :paperbag
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Fuck you 2017 me, you don't know shit.
You and me both, man. :beer

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like they should do a 10 episode season, it'd fit the above better.
How did your latest rewatch with your buddy went? Or you guys haven't start yet? Lol, and how are you even able to do a 5th rewatch :p

I am so glad that the anti woke crowd like One Piece (Mauler, Critical Drinker, etc). Because there are a ton of nitpicks toward the show if you want to make those vids. And I am sure if Mauler want, he could do a 3 hours vid on that. But he probably won't now. It just gonna festered so much negative energy, stochastic harassment, and may hamper potential growth.

Speaking of which those Arabasta potential casting on reddit already so toxic. I don't know why fans set themselves up to be disappoint. If you have no expectation, especially about the ethnicity of the cast. Then the show may surprise you, and you may get some extra enjoyment out of it. If you have a strong passionate expectation, then you may left feeling bitter. And beside at the end of the day, this show already have so many challenges as is.

People were arguing for North Africa/Middle Eastern cast. THen some jump in and said Indian/South Asian (because Arabasta inspire by both India and places in the Middle East according to one of the databook). (That data book blow my mind that Baratie based on a restaurant in Vietnam, and then I remember ohh I did went on a floating restaurant before). And then there are the people who advocate for Greek based Egyptian. It was all over the place. These kind of things are just double edge sword. At the foremost you want a good execution, and whatever representation that you bias toward or against, should just be a cherry on top. Because if it is the reverse of priority. Then detractors will use the diversity casting as an indictment toward the failure of the show if the execution is flaw. The funny thing is there a bad to mediocre movies with no diversity, but people's brain work the way they work. And often, I felt so bad because the exp of those actors and actresses ended up being a nightmare with all the harassment. But if the show is great, then it doesn't matter. The funny thing is that the anti woke youtubers are fine with Nojiko black actress. Much more so than some of the One Piece fans.

My own thought is that whoever they decide to go with, hopefully satisfy most people and have the talents to back it up. For some reason, I still feel the Live Action is an underdog despite the renewal.

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
How did your latest rewatch with your buddy went? Or you guys haven't start yet? Lol, and how are you even able to do a 5th rewatch :p
It's scheduled for next week, so starting Monday we begin my 5th rewatch. Tbh when it comes to comfy things I can research them a number of times, it's why I have yearly rewatch of ATLA, Bakuman, FMAB.

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Am I the only one thinking that Hachi cut in season 1 makes sense in regards to Sabaody Archipelago? I think he will be introduced there to make the connection between Arlong vision and Fishman persecution hence it wouldn’t make sense for him to be part of Arlong Park fight and be a friendly character in SA. It would make better sense if Nami knew him from Arlong Park but he left Arlong years ago because he was not comfortable with Arlong’s plan to conquer the East Blue. What do you think about it?

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Am I the only one thinking that Hachi cut in season 1 makes sense in regards to Sabaody Archipelago? I think he will be introduced there to make the connection between Arlong vision and Fishman persecution hence it wouldn’t make sense for him to be part of Arlong Park fight and be a friendly character in SA. It would make better sense if Nami knew him from Arlong Park but he left Arlong years ago because he was not comfortable with Arlong’s plan to conquer the East Blue. What do you think about it?
sure that could work. Or give that to Chew and or Kuroobi. However, what beautiful about One Piece are the layers.

Arlong wasn't that layer in Arlong Park but Sabaody, we peel off a layer and have to re-contextualize Arlong Park. Especially when realize where he got his ideas from. And then FIshmen island, added even more depth. Hatchan was a simpleton. He do things because he go with the flow. He isn't as malicious as others who have more intellect. He only start to have more of an agency is when he got remove from his peer influences. And then for him to apologize to Nami latter, I like it a lot. To broke him down completely when he got shot, is when his redemption able to complete. When he was truly selfless and told Luffy to keep his promise. That action was more powerful than just simple apology to Nami too. To see that people are product of their environment. That there are light in people and darkness in people.

They didn't have Hatchan because I can't do that 6 arms thing well. So they would have that same practical problem in Sabaody. So give it to Chew, to Kurobbi, to even that one dude that Nami playing cards with.

I could see your version work. But the emotions are not there. Because the new audience don't know who the heck this new character is. If it is an old character that they already knew, going through that transformation. That would be more powerful.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Am I the only one thinking that Hachi cut in season 1 makes sense in regards to Sabaody Archipelago? I think he will be introduced there
But why are you assuming they will get to Sabaody?

You are really too optimistic for this live action...

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Wait, so you didn't watch it? Can't you rack your brain and see what potential problems with that? Not that it isn't a good idea, in fact it sound interesting. But I see way way less viewership. People constantly complain about the lack of originality. And want new things. But the math showed numerous of new properties are being made. And there are no audience for it. People like to go for the familiar. Catering to the minority with a large budget, ain't a good idea.
I did watch 3 episodes and can't say I liked the SHs, although I thought Buggy was well handled to be honest.

There is a reason why I prefer to watch mangas over live actions when it comes to fantasy stories: the creativity/imagination/craziness of a universe is better suited for mangas than live actions. Something as crazy as OP is not suited for live action just like that, but the core story/ideas could've been very well adapted into a live action that would make it much more likeable and unique.

Maybe to illustrate this example: Lord of the Rings is a good example of a fantasy story but very much rooted into reality (and by that I mean human fantasy we are all used to). Hence why the movies are fairly good and very enjoyable.

One Piece on the other hand is completely outlandish, you cannot imagine it in real life no matter how hard you think about it. And this is one of the things that make it very unique among its peers. Luffy as a character for example cannot be replicated by any actor, it is too outlandish. Same for Zoro and Sanji. Ergo, by trying to preserve all of OP's craziness, you end up with a watered down version due to the limitations of a live action movie.

One of the main themes of OP is freedom, friendship and adventure. All of those could've been preserved and repackaged into a story that suits a live action instead of trying to replicate something which cannot be replicated.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the main themes of OP is freedom, friendship and adventure. All of those could've been preserved and repackaged into a story that suits a live action instead of trying to replicate something which cannot be replicated.
You think too much about what suit you and not also what suit the corporation that making it. Every decision is a risky decision for the studio.
I do wonder how much viewership would it drew like that. Also who would be trust to write this entire story? I don't think Oda would have time for that. And none of these writers have big enough of a name to sell it. And I don't see why Oda would sign his name to this project, when his name is what they using to sell the product.

Even grounded arc like Game of Thrones. They have to tone it down tremendously. In everything, from the spectacle like castles and magic. To character personality. Like how many f boi Danny had while being like underage. And one of her f boi, had like these wildly colorful hair. But in the adaption, his hair is rather normal.

Every fandom feel like it splitting, Game of Thrones (though House of the Dragons united the fandom), Star Wars. Heck even Lord of the Rings. The Hobbits brought mix fan fare. And Rings of Power, (I kinda enjoy it but ended up having to drop it because my Tolkien fanatic friend raging on it so much that Pavlov into associating all the negative feelings with that show), as you aware all the stuffs going on there. Witcher, Wheel of Time. Series that are like you said should be much easier to adapt. Sometimes turned into a nightmare because the people in charge either don't know what their viewers want, or thought they know what their viewers want. It isn't as easy as it seemed. Percy Jackson, Avatar the Last Airbender, so on and so forth. Picking Lord of the RIngs. The movies that even outside of the fantasy genre are listed as among the great of all time. That is exception to the rule, not the rule.

But to be honest, I do think it would be really cool to see the physical Skypiea in Live action. Because despite reading One Piece since 1999-2000. I read Skypiea around when I joined this forum. And I think seeing native warriors on flying skateboard fighting a war in the sky. I would think that really cool to see.

Why not see this as a different story that only replicate what can be replicate because certainly they left a ton out.

Like say Sanji, yes they remove his hyper simping/perviness. But what they can still do is his flirting, martial art, cookery, foul mouth. They can still do his James Bond spy action thing that he does (Rainbase, sea train).

And to be fair, if something haven't show up yet. Doesn't meant they won't do it. For example Luffy is much weaker than his manga counterpart. And I think they did on purpose. But that doesn't meant he won't get stronger. Or Zoro, were edgy, but then mellow out a tad by the end of the season. Who said he won't mellow out even more in the coming season.

But you know, they did cast their dice. And they got the result that they want it. It wasn't perfect. And hopefully, they will learn from it since they have experience now.

The studio and people working on the show (who I followed on twitter) very very aware of this survey and the other one prior to this. If you want them to know something, you should do the survey.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
You think too much about what suit you and not also what suit the corporation that making it.
Why should he care about the corporation?
He's saying what he likes and dislikes, it's up to the corporation to give the fans what they want.