Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 28 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
  • Luffy's nuanced personality in this is a bit refreshing. I don't think the shonen idiot trope works well in a LA
Then he is no longer Luffy right ? For me it's simple: live action or not, I expect this be faithful to the original work. The moment Luffy's personality is different, then he is no longer Luffy.

Mangas like One Piece should stay away from live action. It never works and never will. On the other hand, they could've very well made a live action that used OP's main plot as an inspiration, but completely revamped it. So the core plot is still about being PK, but in a real life context. That I think would've been interesting to watch.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Then he is no longer Luffy right ? For me it's simple: live action or not, I expect this be faithful to the original work. The moment Luffy's personality is different, then he is no longer Luffy.

Mangas like One Piece should stay away from live action. It never works and never will. On the other hand, they could've very well made a live action that used OP's main plot as an inspiration, but completely revamped it. So the core plot is still about being PK, but in a real life context. That I think would've been interesting to watch.
I think what OP should have done rather is make an actual movie the way Marvel or DC does as opposed to a long-winded series.
Rather than investing in 8-10 hours of a disaster, invest in 1.5-2 hours of a well made movie that sticks somewhat true to the story, but more importantly, the characters.
The live series hasn't done that in my opinion.

Also, I am pretty baffled by the positive reviews on YouTube.
I can see why someone like Tekking would have a good review, as a content creator, he needs to make as much content as possible, and he's not one to be negative because that would probably upset his viewership, rarely is he ever negative implying he's not completely honest which is the one thing I dislike about his content, but he does make his reviews and content interesting at least.

In fact, I almost wonder if YouTubers are being paid off to leave positive reviews since they carry a lot of influence.
The quality of the show as I see it and the reviews don't quite add up, but maybe I'm a minority and a lot of people really find this to be excellent.
As a fan of One Piece, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, even liked the first episode or 2, but as I tried to be objective in assessing it, I really couldn't rate it anything above 5/10.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

Wait, so you didn't watch it? Can't you rack your brain and see what potential problems with that? Not that it isn't a good idea, in fact it sound interesting. But I see way way less viewership. People constantly complain about the lack of originality. And want new things. But the math showed numerous of new properties are being made. And there are no audience for it. People like to go for the familiar. Catering to the minority with a large budget, ain't a good idea.

If the manga volume sale went up. THEN IT WORKS. It doesn't matter the numerous of leeches online said it doesn't. But if there are new paying customers who paying for the manga went up. Then it works. I don't know if the manga volume sale will went up. But that was one of the first few post I had on this thread that I mark this turning point to see if it indeed went up. We will see. I will look at the next 4 volume sales.

I have watch and read so many reviews by now. The new people who never read or watch One Piece love this Luffy. Or the part that they still hesitant to be honest are the traits that resemble too much to the manga. Hence why many had Zoro as their favorite, which is funny because that is the same reason that a much smaller camp that this version of Zoro as well. Most of the manga/anime fans like this Luffy/Zoro. The bigger complaint they had was the writing/pacing/camera etc. They don't have as much problems with the actor. Then the much smaller community who seemingly doesn't have one or two problems. They had problems with almost everything. So I doubt, the show already lost them to begin with. And they will forever lost to the show. I don't think the show should cater to them going forward. Because they don't have such an ability.

So I saw complaints on imdb about how this Luffy is weaker. Absolutely, most characters here are weaker. And Luffy is even weaker by that standard. To build up some tension. Luffy in the manga is a big fish in a small pond. He breeze through East Blue then got a ton of trouble in Arabasta. But it was never for sure that this show will get a season 2 to rip that benefit. The show must have stakes in the beginning. Even in ep 1, even with Morgan.

Luffy to be doesn't work went they try a bit too hard to be in the manga in couple of scenes. The way he raised both hands up and scream right after an emotional moment in live action. That didn't work.

A lot of the changes were unnecessary but it is a distrust of the audience, and is short hand to get the audience up to speed. Like when Luffy is getting info that was told directly to him (Nami's map scene). You see these changes even in Game of Thrones. Like Littlefinger is outright an untrustful person. Unlike in the book, he is a much more friendly person that everyone seemed to trust. To the point that the preview he is the one that put everything in motion, that was shocking. Such an effect wasn't in the show, because he had shown to be a mastermind right away. And non book readers love that as well vs book readers hate this change.

And to be honest, to be compare to Game of Thrones is a win. The reason people compare to Game of Thrones is the budget. Couple of things about that. Game of Thrones season 1 setting is much closer to real life places. It isn't too fantastical. Many of the sets they build can be reuse and were reuse for all 8 seasons. Even then, those locations are never as grand as in the book (Winterfell for example). Locations on the show in One Piece did improve from the book (Morgan's base, Syrup Island), or different but equally compelling (Arlong Park itself, Baratie, Buggy's Tent for Orange town).

The budget for One Piece was leak by a singular source early on, and then that source deleted itself. To this date, we don't know what the actual budget is. The most trustworthy sources only estimating. Also the budget is inflated by Covid procedures and also by inflation. Game of Thrones season 8 ended prior to 2019. One Piece can't use most of their sets going forward unlike Game of Thrones.

The views went up, but not by much. Simply because we looking at a full week or an extra 3 days. Rate by day should went down.

Day rate (mil view/day)w1w2
One Piece s014.62.8-40%
Witcher s033.82.0-48%
Umbrella Academy c033.11.6-50%

Pretty decent hold. But there is no expansion either.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
do wonder if the script hammer Luffy acting. Like the whole at the end of Nami's fb. Did the script require he to repeat those phrases that many time. I watched Episode of Nami, and it wasn't like that at all. And those moments felt really really awkward. And I do wonder if it is the script at time.

Many people sing praises for Usopp. But he just doesn't have much to do. All his big moments are cut or dial down significantly. And it depend on how much you like or dislike Usopp in the manga. I like Usopp and I don't like the cut to his story. But people who hate Usopp thought this version of him is much more likable and less annoying.

Even in Game of thrones. There are people who thought Emilia Clarke acting pretty wooden early on. Especially season 2 script didn't help her. Same with Kit Harington too was pretty wooden early on. I hope Zoro got a lot more physical comedy scenes next season.

I am trying to think back who really impress me with their acting. Mihawk was fun but I thought he was too sassy for Mihawk
With Inaki, think the script does play a part. Jacob as Usopp to me could have been better though. Some of the lines did make sense, but his delivery wasn’t there. But overall, yes. If we had better script, maybe they would all have a chance to do better. Nevertheless, it’s a great attempt, the story does get better and maybe Netflix will allow longer episodes to allow more character development. Garp screen time was clearly a budget related decision. Next season, straw hats get more focus and it should improve.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
They already told us why via a bunch of interviews. They want to have an additional stakes and conflicts. This is the change that Oda was super iffy about and need a lot of convincing. I guess goofy Garp from the beginning will not have that stakes.

To be fair, a lot of the new watchers seemed to response decently to most of the Garp stuffs. I think it just us, manga readers that have problems with these portrayals.
they can have that without having Garp lose his personality though. Garp despite being carefree and "goofy" was taken super seriously and was one of the very few people that could challenge Roger. That alone should give us more stakes and conflicts with "goofy" Garp than a serious one, or they can just use someone else like Smoker instead of making Garp like Smoker.

They'd probably respond better to Garp portrayed as he actually is.

Plus, Luffy in the live action doesn't have the magic that he does in the manga.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
That alone should give us more stakes and conflicts with "goofy" Garp than a serious one, or they can just use someone else like Smoker instead of making Garp like Smoker.
I actually like this. I wouldn't mind Koby hang out a bit with Smoker in season 1 and then got transfer to Marine headquarter. This also gave the Smoker actor more works since he would be recurring for 2 seasons instead of 1. At the end of the day, I don't know how a normal audience would feel with it. Since it didn't happen, and so we got no data to work with. Like I said, I think the showrunners don't have complete trust in the audience, especially people outside of the manga/anime space.

I wonder if they ended up merging Sengoku and Garp together to save the budget. The way Garp called up Mihawk. Sound like how the warlords gather to meet Sengoku in Skypiea saga.

Ottoman_Pasha

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
When I was watching the LA with my wife, who never watched or read OP before, I couldn't stop myself making remarks of what has been changed in the story and on the characters. At some point she was annoyed and wanted me to stop doing this. I talked with other friends who absolutely enjoyed the LA and they had similar reactions when I started talking about canon OP.
These people I couldn't convince for years to start with OP manga/anime.
One thing is for sure: thanks to this LA, One Piece has reached a new and massive audience.
Is this the same of our beloved OP? Definitely not.
But, is it good that this LA exists? Now this is a debatable question and the only instance who has the right to make a verdict is the creator himself. I respect Oda for his decision to put his name behind this LA. It's his right to make or allow all those changes. Obviously, this LA is a completely new kind of storytelling which has its own rules.
Honestly, I hate it when Oda breaks the mold too much in the manga and as some of you may noticed I criticize those deviations quite a lot. But this LA is a standalone story. Yes, you can hate the changes and see them as your personal reason to not watch the LA. But accusing the producers (including Oda himself) of deviating from the manga is not a legit argument.
The manga is and will always be Oda's magnum opus. This LA is for me just a side product. I'm happy that it exists. Nothing to glorify, yes. But also nothing to dump on.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, watched the live action a few days ago. Didn't find where people were talking about this until now.

Gotta say, I was impressed by this, I liked the live action which I didn't think was going to be possible. I figured if the anime at it's best was a never ending stream of visual diarrhea then the live action was just ill conceived from the get go. But this was just good. It's not flawless of course but it's about as good as it gets without throwing an extra billion dollars at it IMO.

The first thing that is worth noting here for me is luffy. He just has the right luffy energy throughout. He is smarter than manga luffy by some amount but I don't really mind that much. There was some plot compression here of course and luffy being too stupid just doesn't work with a 40 minute episode. Pretty decent fight scenes all things considered, the gum gum fruit attacks look better than expected.

Zoro... Probably the worst casting of all IMO. Zoro in the manga is... sort of a goof and badass when the situation calls for it. The zoro guy does excellent fight scenes but that's it. Zoro in the manga as I said is a bit of a goof and badass but the live action one comes of as an edgy metrosexual.

Nami... if there's an emily rudd cult out there I am all for it.

Sanji... Pretty fun adaptation. It's almost a shame they didn't do pervy sanji but I can understand how this wouldn't translate to live action at all. Overall he has the right energy for it so I'll take it. I sort of don't believe this version of sanji doesn't get laid though. It's also a bit of a shame that this version of sanji and zoro don't show much of a rivalry yet.

Ussop was pretty spot on. It feels like his early sniping was too severely downplayed which is a shame. his win over the fishman just made me laugh, that explosion out of nowhere is just insanity done right. Some bits of his past were downplayed, specially concerning his father. I suppose they found no way to not show yassop as a piece of shit who abandoned at least his kidd, if not his wife (as far as I am concerned manga yassop is a piece of shit for joining shanks).

Garp wise... appearance wise the guy is perfect. Manga garp isn't exactly stupid but he doesn't have that garp impulsiveness and joy that manga garp oozes. It felt weird to introduce him this early but live action coby isn't getting a year long cover story. That said, with all it's flaws one of my favorite scenes in the series is garp just throwing a canonball at luffy. Not quite as ridiculous as in the manga but it just looks crazy and I'm all for it. It would have been a bit better if they found an extra 30 seconds to show this being more dangerous than a canon.

Mihawk is just way too spot on. It's weird to see him collaborate with garp at all. Though I can understand they needed some way to get him to the baratie without the krieg plot line. Bit of a shame that they skipped him but it's not THAT big a loss. His fight with zoro was excellent. Also bit of a shame that sanji didn't get more of a fight when joining the crew. They make up for it later but at the cost of hachi not being a thing which is also a shame.

The kuro casting was just spot on.

I found the overall absence of sake in the series somewhat strange considering that drinking and partying has a special significant to the story. There's other alcohol but it's not the same as sake IMO....

Buggy was a bit of a pleasant surprised. I had awful expectations when his look was shown before the release of the series but it turned out to be far better than expected. I am not a fan of the circus scene in general but his overall performance was good. Bit weird how arlong got on luffy's tail but then, plot compression demands sacrifices...

The bit with sanji and zeff was just excellent. Clearly a lot of love was put into this backstory specifically. Not sure of why sanji hates oregano though. That bit specifically I can't get out of my mind.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
got people who has no interest in one piece to read the manga after the live action

the live action is good enough for that

unlike cowboy bepop

I am happy.

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
I am rewatching the live action 2 weeks later. I have to say it is a much better experience as a second time - I am watching it like a normal show without trying to recognize anything or being careful about how they manage things. I understand how newcomers can find it really good.

I also like how they made Zoro challenge Mihawk while he was telling the SH crew to hand him over Luffy. This is a clin d’oeil to Zoro and Kuma in Thriller Back.

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
My friend wants to rewatch it again next week, so I'm lined up for my 5th rewatch :cheez (I'm not even mad about it).

The way I approached the OP LA is basically it just being set in a different universe, given that the story is quite different in some areas. It helps prevent the constant comparisons between anime/manga.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Mihawk with a spanish guitar theme? I didn't even know i wanted that. Why didn't the anime ever do that?

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mihawk with a spanish guitar theme? I didn't even know i wanted that. Why didn't the anime ever do that?

I am a on and off fan of the Got Talent franchise. But this is the person who did the theme.

=================================

In regard to an inquiry about my statement on "IF" (and I even pose it as an IF) manga sale went up. The live action only release some 2 weeks ago. How many new people even see it yet, how many people even finished it yet. I don't know maybe wait a month to see if people into the series now. All I know is this One Piece anime is trending 4th on IMDB right after Ahsoka of the Disney Giant and Wheel of Time. That is crazy to me. Since the anime is out forever now, there ain't many people just go and grade it now. This is update weekly, so if people who are like in the future clicking on the link after it update again and said I am lying. Well I am not.

Second off, you don't see One Piece sale perk up in the chart unless a new volume release. And that may increase a bit. But unfortunately, we are so so far along. That even people who started now, now catch up for a while. And they got plenty of volume to buy first. And then you can't really compare the first week sell in NOVEMBER of this year (a few months from now) since sometimes the volume release earlier or latter in the week period. So volume can have an extra day or less day to sell. Also being the LAST volume of the year, it just has less time to sell in general. What we want to compare is the first volume of next year (2024). And really we should wait until the end of 2024. To see how that volume to compare to the first volume of 2023 for it yearly sale number. And old volumes may perk up, but they may not made the chart since they have to compete with new volumes of other series. The total annual sales. And some year, they list top 200-500. That where we see if there is an uptick in backlog sale. So overall, we don't see an effect until the end of 2024. So for ***** to said I don't see any effect one way or another within mere days of the LA. I don't know how you can make that judgement one way or another. It could very well be no changes, since part of the promotion was allowing people to read the first 100 chapters for free. And who know next year they are doing that for the Arabasta saga, and no one buy volume 1-20. So many factors to consider.

So would we see like what happen to One Piece during Marineford/Fishman Island saga where the back up catalog are being buy? Or Jujutsu Kaisen, Demonslayer Yaiba, Blue Lock, etc old volumes are topping the sale chart due to the anime? It may not get to that level, I am hoping half or even a quarter of the gain of the former.

This person graph it like this, to see the highest volume sale of each year.

If anyone had been paying attention. The manga had been declining in sales for a while now. And in recent years, it had been stabilize but still reducing in sale. Oda, as he getting richer. His time worth more and more money. Heck to some billionaire, the time to bend over and pick up a 100 dollar bill, ain't even worth it to them. That also as he got older, his time also valuable in a different way since he had even less of them going forward. With that being said, he spending his time with diminish returns. The audience for One Piece as indicate by both the anime viewership and manga sale, had not expand, instead shrinking. You can blame it on quality like anime aka pacing. But this LA may brought in new fans. May not as big of an effect like Demonslayer Yaiba anime toward its manga sale. But even some 5 to 10% increase would really reverting a near decade trend now.

And to the manga/anime fans. You always have the manga/anime. Many new fans are enjoying the LA. I don't think we should take that from them. The star wars community had been so toxic since 1999. Star Wars were made for younger audience. And these younger audience grow up as adults and hate the new product while their children love it. This happened to the 70s generation, and latter the late 90 early 2000 generation toward even newer products.

I supposed the best thing you can argue is that the LA somehow affect the churning out of the manga/anime. Regardless, Oda still need that 1 break a month plus magazine break. How many mangaka past their 100 volumes of their life time, still as productive as Oda. I was looking at Detective Conan, Gosho Aoyama took a whole month break for every month he worked. Sometimes even longer. The level of work is not the same whether it is consulting on the LA vs being a mangaka. I am sure diversifying his type of work, give him to relax. Expand his horizon, and fuel his creativity. People act like the time he take off doesn't contribute to the quality of his work. If he travel, if he read, if he watch something, they all fueled his magnum opus. If he feel happy. If he felt proud. If he felt successful like for the LA. Then that affect his work. When people are stressed, unhappy, sickly, feeling the lack of freedom. Their works suffered.

So far it seemed like people around me enjoyed the series. My sister who only know a bit of early One Piece from way way back enjoyed the show. My friend who is only at Thriller Bark english dub anime, enjoyed the show. My spouse enjoyed the show for the most part until we watch episode of Nami prior to watch the last 2 episodes. Lol, the anime really ruined Live Action exp. Because then my spouse too start to focus on the differences. I saw Daniel Greene (booktuber)'s review. And he love the Usopp vs Chew action. And he said he didn't even remember what happen in the manga. I think that is the key to enjoy it. Because I am sure had he reread what happen, he wouldn't enjoy it as much. Heck he even said that his favorite fight in episode 8. I gonna watch it again with my friend who want to start the series but too busy being a medical doctor to watch the anime. She will have no knowledge of the series whatsoever.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I actually like this. I wouldn't mind Koby hang out a bit with Smoker in season 1 and then got transfer to Marine headquarter. This also gave the Smoker actor more works since he would be recurring for 2 seasons instead of 1. At the end of the day, I don't know how a normal audience would feel with it. Since it didn't happen, and so we got no data to work with. Like I said, I think the showrunners don't have complete trust in the audience, especially people outside of the manga/anime space.

I wonder if they ended up merging Sengoku and Garp together to save the budget. The way Garp called up Mihawk. Sound like how the warlords gather to meet Sengoku in Skypiea saga.
I think a normal audience wouldn't care, they'd still likely enjoy it.

Possible but we'll see during Marineford War arc.

When I was watching the LA with my wife, who never watched or read OP before, I couldn't stop myself making remarks of what has been changed in the story and on the characters. At some point she was annoyed and wanted me to stop doing this. I talked with other friends who absolutely enjoyed the LA and they had similar reactions when I started talking about canon OP.
These people I couldn't convince for years to start with OP manga/anime.
One thing is for sure: thanks to this LA, One Piece has reached a new and massive audience.
Is this the same of our beloved OP? Definitely not.
But, is it good that this LA exists? Now this is a debatable question and the only instance who has the right to make a verdict is the creator himself. I respect Oda for his decision to put his name behind this LA. It's his right to make or allow all those changes. Obviously, this LA is a completely new kind of storytelling which has its own rules.
Honestly, I hate it when Oda breaks the mold too much in the manga and as some of you may noticed I criticize those deviations quite a lot. But this LA is a standalone story. Yes, you can hate the changes and see them as your personal reason to not watch the LA. But accusing the producers (including Oda himself) of deviating from the manga is not a legit argument.
The manga is and will always be Oda's magnum opus. This LA is for me just a side product. I'm happy that it exists. Nothing to glorify, yes. But also nothing to dump on.
The live action works better than we thought, but it makes sense since it's a seriously condensed version of the manga and anime. Plus it can be a gateway to the manga itself just by saying the manga has even better vibes! But I think the live action was made for people who aren't OP fans or care for the anime or manga, especially due to its length. That's why it's done so well.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Something I think is fun thinking about (though unlikely if the adaptation remains faithful) is luffy's awakening. In the mangas I generally found it to be a lackluster transformation with way too much power. It sort of breaks the silly "rubberman" thing luffy has going on and borders on chosen one type tropes. But in live action G5 has some interesting potential. How do I put this.... when we read the manga we are sort of reading a cartoon. That's how it looks to us so in a way luffy's cartoon powers are a bit... eh. BUT in live action though luffy's cartoon powers have a lot more potential. Straight up some roger rabbit stuff. We are 20 years away from this in any way but it's got more potential than in the manga at least.

Oh god NO. OP and it's humor wouldn't translate well to live action... OP relies too much on the simple fact that it is drawn... Trying to convey any of it through live action would at best be cringeworthy. There are plenty of mangas which could potentially work in this medium while making relatively small concessions gag wise assuming there is decent writing, directing and special effects. Live action bleach? Bring it. Live action naruto? Plausible. Like action BNHK? less plausible but still within the realm of possibilities. OP? Absolutely not, remove the cartoonish aspect and it simply doesn't work. Dragon ball (in it's latter stages when toriyama toned down his brand of humor) is more than doable as live action however hollywood butchered it to the point where most of us after watching it went home and hit out heads against the wall until we forgot every scene. But this has the potential to be far worst.
Fuck you 2017 me, you don't know shit.

Aki1991

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I'm so hyped. How will season 2 end, what do you think? I would love a post credit scene where Nico Robin comes out of the door on the ship and everyone looks shocked. :D

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

It is renewed for season 2 as Aki1991 indicated. 2 weeks in. Even Wednesday took longer for Netflix to decide. As Wednesday success is way way way way bigger than One Piece.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
got people who has no interest in one piece to read the manga after the live action
How ? No, seriously, how ?

Something I think is fun thinking about (though unlikely if the adaptation remains faithful) is luffy's awakening.
But are you really convinced that they will get there?

Really ?

Possible but we'll see during Marineford War arc.
Marineford? But do you have any idea how long it will take them to get there?

Fuck you 2017 me, you don't know shit.
You truly knew everything and more

It is renewed for season 2 as Aki1991 indicated. 2 weeks in. Even Wednesday took longer for Netflix to decide. As Wednesday success is way way way way bigger than One Piece.
Let's hope the writers' strike saves us.