Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 27 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anime should almost never attempt to be translated directly into a live action, it doesn't work for me.
People do like it. Especially though who never read the original work. And many WILL NEVER watch the anime and read the manga. Because all the criticism that you have of the live action. They would in turn said the anime is too long and too silly and too childish. And they some 60 years old will never get caught reading a manga in public.

Also why didn't you watch the japanese dub if the gum gum was too much?

The "should never" is not really a prescription. Simply because most of it are bad. But if the goods at some point outdo the bad, people will change their mind. That may or may not happen. I do hope Hollywood learn from their mistakes. The same can be said about book adaption. There are plenty of great works that yet to adapt into tv or movies. The fans would said. Well in the book due to no budget constraint. The setting and people can be as magnificent or as weird as possible. You can read people inner thoughts. Something that cannot be translate as well in a visual medium like a movie.

But great adaptions do happen. And it took many bad adaptions to get it right.

But even on this thread. The people that enjoy it, give it a fine to good, with some elements of great.

I do think it worth checking out season 2. Simply because they have a lot more exp now. And they have a lot of feedbacks and criticisms that they can improve on. Like Arlong was too small in the trailer. They buffed his height up a bit in the actual product. Not perfectly done but it showed they do address criticisms.

Luffy screaming Gum Gum in that scrawny voice is godawful. The fight scenes just can't be done justice.
I am keep thinking about this part. Is this the live action or is this just english. Like do you cringe when you watch the English dub anime? I don't watch the anime. But a friend of mine started to watch the series. I recommend the manga, but he will not touch the manga until he finished the anime. I recommend the japanese dub but he watch the english dub. And he loves the english dub despite me cringing at it. Whatever is your introduction is the base in which everything is compare to. If his first starting point is gum gum. Then after a few episode, it is just the norm.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Also why didn't you watch the japanese dub if the gum gum was too much?

The "should never" is not really a prescription. Simply because most of it are bad. But if the goods at some point outdo the bad, people will change their mind. That may or may not happen. I do hope Hollywood learn from their mistakes. The same can be said about book adaption. There are plenty of great works that yet to adapt into tv or movies. The fans would said. Well in the book due to no budget constraint. The setting and people can be as magnificent or as weird as possible. You can read people inner thoughts. Something that cannot be translate as well in a visual medium like a movie.

But great adaptions do happen. And it took many bad adaptions to get it right.

But even on this thread. The people that enjoy it, give it a fine to good, with some elements of great.

I do think it worth checking out season 2. Simply because they have a lot more exp now. And they have a lot of feedbacks and criticisms that they can improve on. Like Arlong was too small in the trailer. They buffed his height up a bit in the actual product. Not perfectly done but it showed they do address criticisms.
Had no idea there was a Japanese dub, but also wanted to hear what the English sounded like because it would reflect how good the actors were at expressing their feelings and delivering their lines, in essence, the calibre and quality of their acting skills. Listening to a dub would take that away, and from that point, I wasn't impressed.

For me, it's a prescription; I have seen multiple Anime adaptations, and they're usually horrible if not always terrible. Anything that's fantasy based in a book requires lots of money and class a actors. Imagine LOTR or Marvel movies using low budget actors and effects, it would definitely be cringey and shoddy.

Problem is ultimately a lack of resources, but in totality, the series is godawful nor would I even recommend people to watch it. I'd much rather they never heard of One Piece at all than watch this series and then have a poor perception of how great the Manga is.
The live imo hurts the franchise in the sense that the live can't do the anime/manga justice.

If this was my first experience of One Piece, the thought of reading a 1000+ manga with the live as my perception of what to expect... I'd much rather read a book written in a completely different language, small text and a 1000 pages as I'd be intrigued and less likely to want to crawl into a hole.
People who know I read One Piece religious with the live as their basis would surely find my hobby somewhat embarrassing. It's how bad the live is imo.

Either way, for those who enjoy it, kudos to them and I hope there are more people who find it pleasant. For me, it's a strong pass.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
For me, it's a prescription; I have seen multiple Anime adaptations, and they're usually horrible if not always terrible. Anything that's fantasy based in a book requires lots of money and class a actors. Imagine LOTR or Marvel movies using low budget actors and effects, it would definitely be cringey and shoddy.
Toward the end, even with great actors and great cgi effect. They can't keep selling dick and balls jokes. Do you think the MCU just started great? Do you know how many failing superheroes from DC and Marvel for them to get here? And even then they are going out of steam as they over saturated the market. Post season 5. Season 6 and 7 of Game of Thrones are beloved by mainstream fans prior to season 8. But book fans absolutely hate it. The mainstream fans like the battles, like the dicks and balls jokes. Where as book fans got annoyed with all the nuances eliminated. But what matter is the audience kept growing.

For every the Dark Knight, there is Catwoman. For every Joker, there is Green Latern. For every Endgame, there is Ang Lee Hulk.
And that is films, and not touch in the numerous tv shows. Even within the MCU that isn't the Disney Plus era. We got Iron Fist, Helstrom, the Inhumans. Heck even lower budget very beloved show the Flash. Now, everyone look back at it and nitpick the hell out of its logic.

Lord of the Rings are exceptional for its time. But how about the countless fantasy shows and movies that follow? Prior to Game of Thrones and post Game of Thrones. Wheel of Time and Witcher dividing the fandom. Eragon, Percy Jackson, Animorphs, Cirque Du Freak.

When you talk about prescription. There must be a problem. And often, the quality isn't the problem. The problem is profit. Twilight series are objectively pretty bad. Whether it is book or movies. But as long as it make 7x its budget. Studios are happy.

The topic is profit for studios, and making products that consumers will consumes. Here are my problems with One Piece

1) One Piece is niche. Even when it toned down, it is still too cartoonish for mainstream folks to even give it a chance.
2) The nature of fandom. This fandom are already very well trained in consuming non official sources whether it is manga/anime. Even if the crowd that like the Live Action, many are pirating it.
3) This fandom love REACTION channels. And there are so many of them. These reaction channels really hurt repeated viewings.

Combined with budget and other stuffs.

The fact that you bring up Game of Thrones, LOTR, and MCU. I think those are either super exceptional. And or actively hurting the genre. People said the middle budget tv shows and movies are going away. And the system cannot keep up with high budget shows and movies. You know that super campy Batman tv show back in the day with terrible acting and cheap props. Those are super more successful in term of viewership (viewership share of total viewership) and how much profit it generate than said a high budget Loki/Wandavision.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I am mix on it but I know exactly what they are trying to set up. Garp this season, Ace coming next season. For all of Garp's fear about the execution, for all of his fear to realize. It gonna be hard for them to cast so so so so many characters for Marineford. Many I suspect will be treated like Nojiko, Genzo, Boodle, Beckman. Where much much lesser actor/actress are employed to cut down cost. And they may need to recast latter. Exception would be people like Doffy.

But Garp would have even a larger role ahead of marineford and incoming to marineford. He would be one of the bigger emotional beat for the show for this arc.

Many are talking about combining Jaya/Skypiea and Water 7/enies lobby into one season of 10 to 12 episodes. We could easily see Marineford in season 4 or 5. Of course this is all premature since we don't even know if they greenlit season 2 and with a decent budget.
But when has Garp ever been serious in the manga? One of my favorite things about him is that despite working for a serious organization under a serious government, Garp is just too carefree.
I'm on my 4th Rewatch of the OPLA :3c
eww

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
But when has Garp ever been serious in the manga? One of my favorite things about him is that despite working for a serious organization under a serious government, Garp is just too carefree.
You could say that because he is carefree that make his serious moment all the heartbreaking. So I would say the show will not capture that essence when he will eventually have that heart to heart talk to Ace about Ace not listening to him.

The other one would be when he let Luffy hit him. Moments where he is in doubt, where his principle is tested, and his conviction wavering.

Just like I thought in ep 6 where Luffy lost his smile at time due to Zoro's injuries. The contrast of jolly with seriousness is really hit home. I know they set up this tragedy where Garp tried to hard to prevent this fate for his grandchildren and failed. It could go well with some audience. But it does lost something special in term of seeing this jolly old man, broking down.

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Toward the end, even with great actors and great cgi effect. They can't keep selling dick and balls jokes. Do you think the MCU just started great? Do you know how many failing superheroes from DC and Marvel for them to get here? And even then they are going out of steam as they over saturated the market. Post season 5. Season 6 and 7 of Game of Thrones are beloved by mainstream fans prior to season 8. But book fans absolutely hate it. The mainstream fans like the battles, like the dicks and balls jokes. Where as book fans got annoyed with all the nuances eliminated. But what matter is the audience kept growing.

For every the Dark Knight, there is Catwoman. For every Joker, there is Green Latern. For every Endgame, there is Ang Lee Hulk.
And that is films, and not touch in the numerous tv shows. Even within the MCU that isn't the Disney Plus era. We got Iron Fist, Helstrom, the Inhumans. Heck even lower budget very beloved show the Flash. Now, everyone look back at it and nitpick the hell out of its logic.

Lord of the Rings are exceptional for its time. But how about the countless fantasy shows and movies that follow? Prior to Game of Thrones and post Game of Thrones. Wheel of Time and Witcher dividing the fandom. Eragon, Percy Jackson, Animorphs, Cirque Du Freak.

When you talk about prescription. There must be a problem. And often, the quality isn't the problem. The problem is profit. Twilight series are objectively pretty bad. Whether it is book or movies. But as long as it make 7x its budget. Studios are happy.

The topic is profit for studios, and making products that consumers will consumes. Here are my problems with One Piece

1) One Piece is niche. Even when it toned down, it is still too cartoonish for mainstream folks to even give it a chance.
2) The nature of fandom. This fandom are already very well trained in consuming non official sources whether it is manga/anime. Even if the crowd that like the Live Action, many are pirating it.
3) This fandom love REACTION channels. And there are so many of them. These reaction channels really hurt repeated viewings.

Combined with budget and other stuffs.

The fact that you bring up Game of Thrones, LOTR, and MCU. I think those are either super exceptional. And or actively hurting the genre. People said the middle budget tv shows and movies are going away. And the system cannot keep up with high budget shows and movies. You know that super campy Batman tv show back in the day with terrible acting and cheap props. Those are super more successful in term of viewership (viewership share of total viewership) and how much profit it generate than said a high budget Loki/Wandavision.
I don't care how many failures there were to get to successful end-product.
I gave my review of the series, it's shit in my opinion.

Doubt GOT fans hate the series because of the acting or the quality, they just hate that it doesn't adhere to the book. This isn't the case with One Piece, the acting is godawful, the fighting is laughable, the special effect is the worst cosplay I have ever seen. It's a cute tv show at best.

That's that. I don't care about the prescription or the cure, my review - it's a shitshow. You supposedly like it, good for you, each to their own.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
This isn't the case with One Piece, the acting is godawful, the fighting is laughable, the special effect is the worst cosplay I have ever seen. It's a cute tv show at best.
You should have said this. Because so far everything you said is so far from reality. Instead of using people "should" or whatever. You should said this is my opinion, that is it. And I am fine. It ain't for everyone. But when you give out advice that is so far from reality. I have to check you there, buddy. Reviews are out there. Some of them are positive review bombs by fanatics. Some of them are negative review bombs also by fanatics. But there overwhelmingly the reviews are authentic.

So I said this, when you have opinions that is different from others. Don't give business advice. If you don't like a donut, and 85% of the people like it and willing to buy it. Don't give the advice of hey let not make that donut or sell that donut. Especially don't give that advice to your family members. Because you will bankrupt them. Just said I have my quirky taste. And I have these very strong passionate opinions that doesn't quite based on reality.

If you said I hate it and think it is the WORST cosplay I have ever seen. Maybe that is a statement of true. Maybe you lived under a rock, and saw 2 cosplay and think that between the two it is the worst. But don't act like it is universal truth. Also you should be aware of your own bias of doing these extreme statement. If you found yourself saying these often "this is the worst ever" "this is the best ever." All these exaggerate statements.

Because I stumble on cringe stuff before. Couple of pages back, someone said they didn't make it past 20 minutes into the show. I believe that guy. If he think this is the worst ever. He is actually way way way more intelligent than you for not subjecting himself through 8 hours of the WORST acting show, the WORST cosplay, the CRINGEST of line delivery.

Just the way you phrase things, I almost don't trust anything you said. But hey I love to believe everything you said is true. Because, I may take some joy in knowing you torture yourself for 8 hours.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lemme get up and start watching

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn6.5/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat8/10
3: Tell no Tales6/10
4: The Pirates are coming7.5/10
5: Eat at baratie8/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy7.5/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo6/10
8: Worst in the East8/10
Overall rating7/10
Finished it all finally and got around to this. It's not perfect by any means, but it was much better than I expected. I still feel some of the casting decisions were poor (Usopp), and some were great (Sanji). There's a few things that felt pretty dumb - like Zoro being knocked out by a glass bottle. I get they're going for realism to an extent, but it feels like they're pulling the "realistic" things out of a magic hat. I didn't really like that they somehow made Usopp seem more useless than he already does so early on. I also just cannot get over the "GUM GUM" cringe. Ugh. It was good overall though.

Ottoman_Pasha

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's nearly impossible to cast high level actors in such productions. It would eat up a huge chunk of the budget. This became a standard in recent years especially after the rise of streaming platforms and exclusive productions. It definitely offers more chances for relatively unknown thus cheaper actors but in general this also worsens the acting quality.

Good luck trying to find a skilled but affordable actor who also has similar physical attributes to Luffy. No chance.

My expectations in that regard were very low and honestly, I'm not dissappointed. Yes, the acting was cringe in some scenes but overally it was tolerable.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck trying to find a skilled but affordable actor who also has similar physical attributes to Luffy. No chance.
Tell me you've never been to California without telling me you've never been to California. Good actors are a dime a dozen, and they budgeted nearly $20M per episode. The problem is with the way actors are hired it's pretty tough to break into it professionally. I have no issue with the casting decision for Luffy. It could have been anyone and the "Gum gum" thing would still be cringe to me. Usopp felt over-acted though. You don't need to hire an A-lister for any TV show, but there are plenty of people who are perfectly capable actors who'd take any role in a series for a pittance to get their name out there.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will say it was great. Watched it with my wife and she loved it too. Things she felt as a non one piece fan:
  1. Acting was poor, specially Zoro and Usopp. Luffy could also do better
  2. Too many zoomed zoom shots of the face.
  3. Set design was good
  4. Some flashbacks like Zoro and Sanji were great. Usopp’s joining isn’t justified
my positives
  1. Mihawk
  2. Sanji
  3. Sets
  4. Coby
My negatives
  1. Zoom shots
  2. Shanks
  3. Luffy acting
  4. Usopp acting
Clearly East blue is lower in quality storyline wise. But it is a great proof of concept. I can imagine big name actors coming for the following season like Jamie Lee Curtis which will have a better impact. Overall I will say 7/10

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Just don't do live action.

The world would have benefited.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well Rings of Power was high budget and still sucked hard.
Either way, budget or lack thereof, imo, the live is complete shit. I regret watching it. For the most part, I started dosing off after whichever episode featured the Baratie, and just skipped parts to see if it got better.
The acting is what ruined it for me.
I would have been somewhat fine with the awful fighting choreography (e.g. Mihawk using a knife to hold off Zoro's 3 swords and Zoro acts like he's putting all his energy with his facial expression... which looked fake as hell - thus being the king of hell).
I may even have looked past the awful cosplay... the acting was just bad. Nami crying looked so inauthentic, I just have no compliments for the series.

Initially, the first episode, I thought it wasn't so bad, but the more I watched, the more I just wanted to not.

You should have said this. Because so far everything you said is so far from reality
That's your opinion dude, just because you like it doesn't mean you have to get offended and defensive because someone else doesn't.

You should said this is my opinion,
I did say that, maybe read what I said again.
I never said it was fact for everyone, I said "FOR ME....". Surely you understand when someone says anything on their on behalf, it's regarding themselves?
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Don't give business advice
I'll do what I want, I can give my own business advice, you have no authority to tell others what they can and can't do bud.

If you don't like a donut, and 85% of the people like it and willing to buy it. Don't give the advice of hey let not make that donut or sell that donut. Especially don't give that advice to your family members. Because you will bankrupt them. Just said I have my quirky taste. And I have these very strong passionate opinions that doesn't quite based on reality.
You have to be living in a bubble where One Piece is the only thing in life that matters for your mind to translate someone saying Anime lives are shit to giving family advice will automatically bad? There is life outside of Anime dude, not sure why you're taking it so seriously, lol.

Just the way you phrase things, I almost don't trust anything you said.
I don't care if you believe anything I say, simply said One Piece live is shit, move on bud. Everyone has their own taste.

It's incredibly pathetic to get offended by someone having a negative opinion on something else. I think One Piece anime/manga is a masterpiece or rather was, but because my friends think it's dog shit.... they can't give advice now? That's wild, the irony of calling others out for living under a rock when you're genuinely offended that someone dislikes a show you like, childish to say the least, but I'll leave it at that.

Ottoman_Pasha

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Tell me you've never been to California without telling me you've never been to California. Good actors are a dime a dozen, and they budgeted nearly $20M per episode. The problem is with the way actors are hired it's pretty tough to break into it professionally. I have no issue with the casting decision for Luffy. It could have been anyone and the "Gum gum" thing would still be cringe to me. Usopp felt over-acted though. You don't need to hire an A-lister for any TV show, but there are plenty of people who are perfectly capable actors who'd take any role in a series for a pittance to get their name out there.
Yes, they could hire better actors for around the same money but I guess they prioritized similarity to the manga character over acting talent. Perhaps, Oda was also involved in this procedure. That's the only somehow logical explanation to deliberately hire bad actors. I say somehow because it also is contradicting because Netflix execs seemed to mainly target new audiences. For these people, the similarity issue is a non-factor. I don't understand.

I'd also prefer better acting over similarity. The latter may gives an actor a head start for a LA but talent will pay off more eventually.

The world would have benefited.
Well, with 140 million hours Netflix benefited big time.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
One Piece-Blue Beetle--One Piece-Blue Beetle-
Audience-Audience--Critics-Critics-
EnglishRotten Tomatoes
96%​
-
92%​
--
87%​
-
78%​
-
EnglishRotten Tomatoes9.410,0009.02,500-7.7526.4248
EnglishIMDB8.573,9866.728,000-
EnglishTMDB8.34247.0345-
ChinaDouban7.917,4365.51,132-
CzechiaČSFD8.21,2816.0344-
FranceAllociné8.41,2015.81,161-6.654.66
FranceSensCritique6.51,7075.0700-
GermanyOFDB7.3126.18-
Japanfilmarks8.01,9777.629-
PolandFilmweb8.22,9885.92,088-
RomaniaCineMagia8.176.825-
Russiakinopoisk/Кинопоиск7.96,9495.82,556-
Spainfilmaffinity7.52,0045.6983-

Experimenting copy and paste from excel is a tad hard since the format changed.
Each website has their own flaws. Romania had too small of a sample size for instance. IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are easily got review bomb.
Most of the scores are higher than my own grade of 7.5 out of 10. If you google search these number. The result yielded on the search will be different than what they show when you click on it. There is a lag on update. Also, by the time you search. Some time may had gone by and the result changed since this is a new show after all. I trust the Chinese douban number a lot.

Numbers don't meant anything by themselves so I compare it to Blue Beetle, a movie I recently saw and kinda mid on it. Though I know plenty people like it. Not my cup of tea, however.

The two french numbers are drastically different. I believe Senscritique are more for the indie movie snob, where Allocine are more normies.

I will say it was great. Watched it with my wife and she loved it too. Things she felt as a non one piece fan:
  1. Acting was poor, specially Zoro and Usopp. Luffy could also do better
I think with the acting. I heard so diverse in opinions of who actually done good and who done bad. And I don't why that each of us, watching the same things. Coming out with so DRASTICALLY different in opinions. Especially with what we like and dislike.

I do wonder if the script hammer Luffy acting. Like the whole at the end of Nami's fb. Did the script require he to repeat those phrases that many time. I watched Episode of Nami, and it wasn't like that at all. And those moments felt really really awkward. And I do wonder if it is the script at time.

Many people sing praises for Usopp. But he just doesn't have much to do. All his big moments are cut or dial down significantly. And it depend on how much you like or dislike Usopp in the manga. I like Usopp and I don't like the cut to his story. But people who hate Usopp thought this version of him is much more likable and less annoying.

Even in Game of thrones. There are people who thought Emilia Clarke acting pretty wooden early on. Especially season 2 script didn't help her. Same with Kit Harington too was pretty wooden early on. I hope Zoro got a lot more physical comedy scenes next season.

I am trying to think back who really impress me with their acting. Mihawk was fun but I thought he was too sassy for Mihawk. Upon rewatch I liike him a tad better. Chef Zeff sold the flashback pretty well. That the only scene I truly impress with the acting. Though my acting calibration could be super off.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

====================================================================

On some actors, John Cho for the liveaction Bebop. He was partially too old and injured himself while filming. For what it is worth, many people praise the action of this live action. Many actors came with the right set of skill like Mackenyu. This allow longer take of action scene and not the usual cut cut cut like Marvel, DC, or regular Hollywood action. Taz Skylar is extremely fit and quickly learned required martial art. Though with Taz, I think the vast majority are happy with him. Even with Jacob/Usopp. He does had to do a bit of running scene. And Godoy/Luffy does do quite a bit of rope/wirefu stuffs. Heck even Nami do her bo staff things super well.

Likewise Kit Harrington for Game of Thrones. He isn't necessary listed among the best actors like Charles Dance/Tywin, Lena Heady/Cersei, Peter Dinklage/Tyrion. But Kit did a lot of the stunts.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
You could say that because he is carefree that make his serious moment all the heartbreaking. So I would say the show will not capture that essence when he will eventually have that heart to heart talk to Ace about Ace not listening to him.

The other one would be when he let Luffy hit him. Moments where he is in doubt, where his principle is tested, and his conviction wavering.

Just like I thought in ep 6 where Luffy lost his smile at time due to Zoro's injuries. The contrast of jolly with seriousness is really hit home. I know they set up this tragedy where Garp tried to hard to prevent this fate for his grandchildren and failed. It could go well with some audience. But it does lost something special in term of seeing this jolly old man, broking down.
Yeah but also, the show would be more fun with a carefree Garp who doesn't care about the rules or pissing people off. I don't know why they chose to make him serious. Or why they didn't have him hit kid Luffy, but understandable due to abuse and all.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah but also, the show would be more fun with a carefree Garp who doesn't care about the rules or pissing people off. I don't know why they chose to make him serious. Or why they didn't have him hit kid Luffy, but understandable due to abuse and all.
They already told us why via a bunch of interviews. They want to have an additional stakes and conflicts. This is the change that Oda was super iffy about and need a lot of convincing. I guess goofy Garp from the beginning will not have that stakes.

To be fair, a lot of the new watchers seemed to response decently to most of the Garp stuffs. I think it just us, manga readers that have problems with these portrayals.

I really don't care nor like this side of the internet. The anti woke crowd. And boy, I do wonder how they gonna response to later One Piece. And I wonder if this crowd gonna butthead with the Hasanabi's wing of the One Piece fandom (who I also really don't care for).

But they like it. And maybe they prop this show up to say eff you to Ahsoka.

I guess overall it is a good thing. One less enemy is better. These guys does have decent sway. However, their influences are way less than they think. Like when they tried to prop up Alita: Battle Angel against Captain Marvel. And the movie basically follow the trend line and didn't see much of a big bump. While Captain Marvel, as mediocre as it was, topple 1 billion dollars.

Though if Critical Drinker review One Piece. That could be interesting.

Last edited:

Ottoman_Pasha

Reaction score
Country
Germany
When asked, the majority wouldn't be able to explain how they substantially or objectively differ between good and bad acting. In the same time, the audience can in some degree intuitively discern them. But people often tend to mix their personal feelings about the production in general with the acting. That's the reason why there are so many different opinions. Godoy for example has a friendly, likeable appearance and his physical attributes are very similar to Luffy's. But his acting is mediocre. So the people who liked the character Luffy and OP in general, won't criticize his acting even if it's bad. And when someone didn't like the show in general and let's say a certain characters portrayment, he/she won't praise the acting even if it's good.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
One Piece is generally aimed at kids, but the story and characters show so much depth that mature audiences can enjoy the story for more than the colour, action and comedy. Not just that, the story has a lot of mature concepts to it which draws in mature audiences.
The live action reminds me of Power Rangers, it has no depth due to poor acting; this is why I am reminded of Power Rangers, acrobatics with poor acting, edgy wanabe cool kids/bros along with poor CGI.

Another appalling aspect of the live is sadly Luffy, this goon thinks his role is to inspire people to think critically. "What are your dreams bro?" and "don't you think you can do more than this?".
That ain't Luffy, he's not that guy, he just says join my crew, you look funny, you're funny, you have this skill. This twit actually told Sanji he won't be Happy at the Baratie and could pretty much achieve more, that's out of character for Luffy. Luffy barely uses foresight and plans, he just does, he's impulsive.
Luffy's just care free, supposed to be at least, in the Manga, he didn't convince Sanji to join with any concern for his future, he simply asked him to join because he wanted a cook on his ship, not because of his dreams. Luffy's not supposed to be playing some sort of father figure telling his kids to think of the future.

The live have no understanding of the character. Garp for example is playing the role of smoker running after Luffy and co. Garp's carefree, he's not one to hunt. He's running after Luffy like he's Roger. He's pretty much Smoker.
Koby also never knows the relationship between Luffy and Garp until post-Ennies Lobby? Not a big deal, but in general, the whole feel of the show is just off.

Genuinely tried to like the show, but just can't. I'll stick to the Manga and Anime.