Quarterfinals: Match 3: Blackbeard vs. Gol D. Roger | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinals: Match 3: Blackbeard vs. Gol D. Roger

Who Wins?

• Marshall D. Teach

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Gol D. Roger

Votes: 34 55.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm going with Blackbeard due to the hype with his devil fruit and the devil fruit ability he stole - Whitebeard's.

tobeulp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Go Roger Go!! Well dunno bout feats, hype, lack of exposure etc I just don't want BB to win lol because from the looks of the tournament he can win this and I don't want that to happen so Roger wins!! If I will explain how because he is the Pirate king lol

leshrak

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't care if Roger is Pirate King, God or whatever... I'm voting BB who we actually saw fighting

Josear XIII

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
The wonderman wins this.

Certainly Roger has some guts heard in the series, but this is the new age and Teach is the main antagonist to achieve everything with only raw power.
I feel like I should remind you that Roger gave himself up to WG. He wanted them to execute him publicly and he wanted to give message to the world.

Btw, I don't think Oda just thought of Haki around chapter 300 and decided to incorporate it into the story.
O_o oh right he gave up, I wont bother to check, I know you must be right. Then I feel more like voting for Roger

RichardMNixon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whitebeard said:
The men that Roger waits for are a very rare few. But not you, Teach. You are not one of them.
QED. Blackbeard will never be great enough to stand up to the Pirate King. Not to mention he basically lost to a half dead Whitebeard and had to beg for his life, and later ran away at the mention of Akainu.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile
QED. Blackbeard will never be great enough to stand up to the Pirate King. Not to mention he basically lost to a half dead Whitebeard and had to beg for his life, and later ran away at the mention of Akainu.

But we still don't know what is necessary to be Pirate King. Teach is a clever man, fighting with Sengoku will get down the marines' moral but with Newgate it would bring nothing to him and doesn't need to kill him, he came to observe that end.
The same, fighthing with an admiral is nonsense if you aren't going to kill him, so obviously he ran away for "plot" reasons.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm voting Roger here. I know it goes against all my 'Vote for those who showed something', but I'm irked BB beat Enel.

Of course, officially I have to give a reason so here goes - Silvers Rayleigh was Gol D. Roger's first mate. Now, I can't think of a single example where the first mate is actually stronger than the captain, or else what with pirates being who they are they would have mutinied and the strongest would be captain. Whitebeard > Marco, Luffy > Zoro, Kidd > Killer, Buggy > Cabaji. Silvers implied, heavily, that he was nothing like the pirate he used to be, and that he'd gotten old. So, if he was weaker than when he was under Roger, and we're using Rayleigh as a guide to Roger's strength, then Roger could easily have overcome BB - or, for that matter, pretty much any character in OP at the moment. Rayleigh wounded Kizaru, and other than against Rayleigh Kizaru's seemed pretty untouchable. Marco couldn't hurt him, and lost. WB had lasers shot through him without retaliation. Scratchman Apoo, Hawkins, and X Drake combined lost, easily, to Kizaru.

In fact, every crew member of Gol D. Roger's crew has become extraordinarily powerful is one way or another. Rayleigh is obvious, as is Shanks. Crocus was only a doctor, and yet he was skilled enough to be able to manipulate Laboon's body without harming it, and managed to tank attacks thrown at him. Buggy is immensly powerful, not in terms of raw strength, but as a leader. For someone who could so easily be taken out by Luffy - and this is the Luffy that really struggled to take out Arlong - to be able to appear in the Grand Line, organise the biggest break-out of Impel Down, and successfully motivate thousands of pirates into following him blindly, says a lot.

You can't 100% judge a pirate's power based on their crew, but it's exceedingly rare for a strong pirate to have a crew of fodder, and equally rare for the crew to be stronger than the captain. If only by association Roger must be pretty damn strong, and in my opinion strong enough to beat BB.

Leonsagara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The only problem with your theory is that probably all of Buggy's current followers are stronger than him.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only problem with your theory is that probably all of Buggy's current followers are stronger than him.
You say probably, have any of his crew fought Mihawk, Shanks, Akianu, not one but two supernovas, and Magellen, and survived? Buggy, as I said, is very strong, just in his own unique way...

Dekker

Reaction score
Country
Germany
You say probably, have any of his crew fought Mihawk, Shanks, Akianu, not one but two supernovas, and Magellen, and survived? Buggy, as I said, is very strong, just in his own unique way...
Funny trivia: Oda once said in an SBS that if Buggy bothered to train he would be one of the strongest characters :E Makes you wonder if he actually grows some more in the course of the manga

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
O_o oh right he gave up, I wont bother to check, I know you must be right. Then I feel more like voting for Roger
I dunno if Roger wanted to give message to the world, but they're definitely right, he did give himself up. The Marine lied and claimed they captured him to have better image.

But, considering Blackbeard's devil fruit, I don't know why people think Roger has a chance of winning. Not to mention, he has Whitebeard's power. Two devil fruit's power and people think he'd lose?

WTFBBQ?

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
U know amurica.

Just because u have more weapons. U dont win a fight.

Vietnam anyone?

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Come on M3J, throwing out a 2 devil fruits argument at this point of One Piece. First of all, darkness fruit isn't really that OP. And Roger tied with the last owner of quake devil fruit, so it's hardly something he can't handle. Shame on Oda for not showing some of Roger's attacks, but to leave scars on the man that turned Marineford into ruins old, ill and half-dead, while he was in his prime? Must have been a monster.

Imagine what it would look like if Whitebeard at his prime went all out, now imagine someone fighting equally with him. I don't have to actually "see" Roger fighting to know he's stronger between these two.

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
To be fair, Blackbeard took Whitebeard's attack right to the face, and was totally fine! The same attack knocked Akainu the f*ck out for a while. Granted, Blackbeard always acts scared, or like an attack hurts a lot, but the ONLY thing we've actually seen that can do anything to him was poison.

Plus, Blackbeard did technically take out Whitebeard, Roger only tied with him, haha. Of course, Blackbeard played it safe, and waited until Whitebeard fought the marines a while, plus he had his crew help with the attack, just to be sure. He likes to plot, strategize, and be underhanded, but that doesn't make him weak. It makes him more deadly.

Still, Roger has my vote by virtue of being the Pirate King.

Also, about people breaking their rule of "not voting for people who haven't shown anything" just to vote for Roger here... :epicfacepalm

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
It only "knocked Akainu the fuck out for a while" is because the ground collapsed and he fell down and had to dig his way up.

And BB wasn't exactly fine. The fight has shown who is stronger and BB was at Whitebeard's mercy. Nobody is disputing he can tank a lot of damage, but that can only get you so far.

And this is not a a fight in which BB will wait for Roger to get old and get hit with dozens of cannonballs and bullets, before he starts shooting him with the rest of his crew from safe distance :p

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
It only "knocked Akainu the fuck out for a while" is because the ground collapsed and he fell down and had to dig his way up.

And BB wasn't exactly fine. The fight has shown who is stronger and BB was at Whitebeard's mercy. Nobody is disputing he can tank a lot of damage, but that can only get you so far.

And this is not a a fight in which BB will wait for Roger to get old and get hit with dozens of cannonballs and bullets, before he starts shooting him with the rest of his crew from safe distance :p
The point is, an attack that did that to Akainu - Blackbeard took that to the face, and was basically no worse for wear. Akainu took a while to recover.

Akainu was pretty beaten up, and if anyone should have been able to erupt back out of the ground right away, it would be Admiral Volcano.

Regardless, that means Blackbeard's *at least* as physically tough as Akainu, who tanked the combined haki-infused attacks of the Whitebeard commanders like the Terminator. As to why Blackbeard wanted his whole crew to attack Whitebeard... he was still planning to take on the Marines right then, too. He's smart enough not to drag out a fight with Whitebeard.

But that does mean Blackbeard thought he could beat Garp and Sengoku. And being a long, long-time veteran of Whitebeard's crew, he has very likely fought them before, or at least seen them fight Whitebeard.

---

Anyway, I still vote for Roger, but I recognize how powerful Blackbeard is.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Come on M3J, throwing out a 2 devil fruits argument at this point of One Piece. First of all, darkness fruit isn't really that OP. And Roger tied with the last owner of quake devil fruit, so it's hardly something he can't handle. Shame on Oda for not showing some of Roger's attacks, but to leave scars on the man that turned Marineford into ruins old, ill and half-dead, while he was in his prime? Must have been a monster.

Imagine what it would look like if Whitebeard at his prime went all out, now imagine someone fighting equally with him. I don't have to actually "see" Roger fighting to know he's stronger between these two.
If Roger tied (we don't know if they actually fought or if their ships fought, I don't remember that part anyway so feel free to correct me) with Whitebeard, who had one devil fruit power, then Blackbeard after practice should be able to beat Roger with TWO devil fruit power.

I see your point, but Blackbeard is a Yonkou, like Whitebeard in his old age. That should say a lot about him.

Before I get attacked with "OMFG YOU'RE BIASED!!!" I don't like Blackbeard at all.

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
No attacks here, just discussing. Oda did a great job with Blackbeard. You don't often get to see a bad guy that has some worst human qualities and you find him lame, but still has some kind of charisma and practically owns the scene whenever he appears.

Nobody here is saying he isn't strong, but we saw how he fights, and it's severely lacking. That's part of his appeal, leaving things to destiny. But that's also why he almost died.

And this is Shounen, after all. I see no point in Oda giving info about Roger and Whitebeard tying if they shot cannonballs at eachother from 100 meters away. And Whitebeard's scar is proof enough that there was close combat between them. And probably multiple times as well. Whitebeard said something along those lines to Shanks.

And yeah, maybe Blackbeard would be able to beat Roger with 2 fruits, since Whitebeard tied with him with 1 fruit, but that would only work if Blackbeard has roughly the same talent, strength and speed as Whitebeard.

astute_azure

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Sengoku easily repelled BB(+crew) in his 2 devil fruit mode, how much more if it were Roger. If we have had to gauge Whitebeard HP wise when he was fighting Teach I'd say he was about 15% remaining. 15% that's what BB had difficulty with, he would not have won if not for the support of his crew. Let's say BB increased 100% effectivity of the devil fruits now, that would roughly be 30% of prime Whitebeard. Now I'm not saying that BB doesn't have the potential to be strong, just that he really can't be the strongest, deadly he is, overall I can only think that at max BB can only be at top 5-7 in One Piece strongest character, he's really far behind Roger.

I've read One Piece for at least 2 times from Chap 1 to the latest Chap, don't ever say I don't.

Look at facts people, Rayleigh 1st mate = testament to Roger's strength, Whitebeard legend the only one to have tied with Roger. The title Pirate King was recognized and considered by all pirates in Roger/Whitebeard's Era. Roger opened it, closed by Whitebeard. Now who's to say that BB is already a pirate king?

If so, I will agree that he can beat Roger, question is? Is he already Pirate King?

Last edited:

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Cyrs: Yeah, sure, BB is one of the best tanks in the whole of OP... but he still couldn't win against old WB, and I'm sure he didn't expect to beat the all the marines. Hell, he ran away from just Akainu later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.