Quarterfinals: Match 3: Blackbeard vs. Gol D. Roger | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinals: Match 3: Blackbeard vs. Gol D. Roger

Who Wins?

• Marshall D. Teach

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Gol D. Roger

Votes: 34 55.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

astute_azure

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Oh not to mention Magellan pawned BB, what a shame, he'd be dead already if not for Shiryu.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Should i put all my bets on Roger because he was tied with young Newgate and win all the battles? :no

If Shanks is one of the Yonko, means he acquired that title after Roger's death. Shanks was kind of scared about Teach because he wounded him... the same Shanks could draw in strenght with Newgate another Yonko which has a little weak than before.

It means Teach hasn't used all his strenght yet, the same class with Roger that we doesn't know anything about him... but there's some difference here, Teach has broken abilities, and with Vergo whom has the best Busoshoku seen could do nothing with Law, Haki doesn't matter at all with fruits in your arsenal, and the man has two of them.

Who's the one with most things to win here? Teach.

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
So Shanks was scared of Blackbeard. That's news to me.

Btw, when Blackbeard gets Law's devil fruit, your reasoning will make sense maybe.

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Wow, Shanks was scared of teach? Awesome. BB has not used all his strength, oh so he can have his ass wiped by Shiryu from Magellan, and his crew from Whitebeard, spectacular dude.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
No attacks here, just discussing. Oda did a great job with Blackbeard. You don't often get to see a bad guy that has some worst human qualities and you find him lame, but still has some kind of charisma and practically owns the scene whenever he appears.

Nobody here is saying he isn't strong, but we saw how he fights, and it's severely lacking. That's part of his appeal, leaving things to destiny. But that's also why he almost died.

And this is Shounen, after all. I see no point in Oda giving info about Roger and Whitebeard tying if they shot cannonballs at eachother from 100 meters away. And Whitebeard's scar is proof enough that there was close combat between them. And probably multiple times as well. Whitebeard said something along those lines to Shanks.

And yeah, maybe Blackbeard would be able to beat Roger with 2 fruits, since Whitebeard tied with him with 1 fruit, but that would only work if Blackbeard has roughly the same talent, strength and speed as Whitebeard.
I agree, you raise good points. While Blackbeard hasn't shown to be the best fighter, he is currently a Yonkou, which means he likely has equal strength or nearly equal strength to other Yonkou. Though it'd still probably mean he's weaker than Roger as Whitebeard in his old age was as strong as the other Yonkou.
So Shanks was scared of Blackbeard. That's news to me.

Btw, when Blackbeard gets Law's devil fruit, your reasoning will make sense maybe.
He wasn't scared of Blackbeard, he was scared of what would happen to Ace if or when he confronted Blackbeard, if I recall. It was Blackbeard who ran from Shanks after Shanks issued a challenge to everyone who still wanted to fight after saving Coby from Akainu.

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
Cyrs: Yeah, sure, BB is one of the best tanks in the whole of OP... but he still couldn't win against old WB, and I'm sure he didn't expect to beat the all the marines. Hell, he ran away from just Akainu later on.
He did win against Whitebeard, though! He killed him and took his power. Fights in One Piece often go where one character beats the hell out of the other for a while, then the tables turn, then maybe they turn back, then maybe the tables turn *again*, etc. etc. etc.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

And actually he did expect to beat all the marines, he directly challenged them along with the rest of Whitebeard's forces. He decided to leave because he didn't want to have to fight the marines, the Whitebeard pirates, AND the Red-hair pirates.

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
He wasn't scared of Blackbeard, he was scared of what would happen to Ace if or when he confronted Blackbeard, if I recall. It was Blackbeard who ran from Shanks after Shanks issued a challenge to everyone who still wanted to fight after saving Coby from Akainu.
I was sarcastic, but thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

He did win against Whitebeard, though! He killed him and took his power. Fights in One Piece often go where one character beats the hell out of the other for a while, then the tables turn, then maybe they turn back, then maybe the tables turn *again*, etc. etc. etc.
This tournament features one on one fights (at least at this point). So no previous damage from cannons, swords, devil fruits, guns and no help from team mates to avoid possible injuries. Blackbeard never won any kind of fight against Whitebeard. He finished him off after Marine Headquarters did most of the work.

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
This tournament features one on one fights (at least at this point). So no previous damage from cannons, swords, devil fruits, guns and no help from team mates to avoid possible injuries. Blackbeard never won any kind of fight against Whitebeard. He finished him off after Marine Headquarters did most of the work.
He did win a fight against Whitebeard, by definition. They exchanged blows. He didn't stab him in the back. Also, by the rules as put forth by the admins, we would take the character in the state they were *last shown*... now that's really splitting hairs, but I thought I'd mention it since you brought up tournament rules, haha.

Did they have a full-on, drawn-out, 1 vs 1 fight? Of course not, and that's obviously not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is, Blackbeard did not lose a fight. He didn't expect Whitebeard to be able to fight back, and ended up taking a massive attack right to the face. But he got right back up and killed Whitebeard, and just to be sure, had his crew help too. Doesn't mean we can tell how a full-on 1 vs 1 fight would've gone. Hell, he gave Shanks his scars, and Shanks says he wasn't caught off guard or anything like that. Blackbeard's just strong, regardless of whether you like or hate his character. In fact, you're supposed to hate him.

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Last time we saw BB was him running with his tail between his legs. He's been running a lot from fights, first off from Shanks, then out of sight from Akainu.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

BB has a lot of missing teeth, he must have lost them from his encounter with Shanks.

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
roger won :teehee

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Enel can return to his moon-base knowing justice has been served :D

Seriously, though, I'm kinda glad about this result - BB may have two fruits but he's not invincible, and even though we haven't seen any of Gol D. Roger's abilities his ranking as pirate king says a lot...

jaymizzo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Enel can return to his moon-base knowing justice has been served :D

Seriously, though, I'm kinda glad about this result - BB may have two fruits but he's not invincible, and even though we haven't seen any of Gol D. Roger's abilities his ranking as pirate king says a lot...
I still do not agree with that whole concept of title being more than combat ability. Roger has shown nothing combat based to even be able to present an argument for him winning against someone who has shown much more.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Last time we saw BB was him running with his tail between his legs. He's been running a lot from fights, first off from Shanks, then out of sight from Akainu.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

BB has a lot of missing teeth, he must have lost them from his encounter with Shanks.
BB is a coward from every encounter weve seen him, but, that doesnt mean that its an argument enough to say Roger wins. BB is possibly much weaker than Roger in the Manga world, but in a tournament, whoever has shown more impressive feats normally wins.

I guess this is for BB beating Enel, sort of evens out in a weird way.

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
With all that said and done, I wonder if anyone can actually send an SBS question to Oda asking if BB prime vs Roger prime fights who'd win?

I'm sure Roger would win.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

I still do not agree with that whole concept of title being more than combat ability. Roger has shown nothing combat based to even be able to present an argument for him winning against someone who has shown much more.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

BB is a coward from every encounter weve seen him, but, that doesnt mean that its an argument enough to say Roger wins. BB is possibly much weaker than Roger in the Manga world, but in a tournament, whoever has shown more impressive feats normally wins.

I guess this is for BB beating Enel, sort of evens out in a weird way.
BTW, combat wise like scarring Prime Whitebeard? who was untouchable as we saw him Ace's many attempts to destroy him, not to mention all those who tried to kill him, i.e. silver medalists.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile
It appears i really have to change my bets, btw two fell on my trap of "scared", for something i wrote "kind of" :3c

redhairSH

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
He did win a fight against Whitebeard, by definition. They exchanged blows. He didn't stab him in the back. Also, by the rules as put forth by the admins, we would take the character in the state they were *last shown*... now that's really splitting hairs, but I thought I'd mention it since you brought up tournament rules, haha.

Did they have a full-on, drawn-out, 1 vs 1 fight? Of course not, and that's obviously not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is, Blackbeard did not lose a fight. He didn't expect Whitebeard to be able to fight back, and ended up taking a massive attack right to the face. But he got right back up and killed Whitebeard, and just to be sure, had his crew help too. Doesn't mean we can tell how a full-on 1 vs 1 fight would've gone. Hell, he gave Shanks his scars, and Shanks says he wasn't caught off guard or anything like that. Blackbeard's just strong, regardless of whether you like or hate his character. In fact, you're supposed to hate him.
Blackbeard didn't have his crew back him up just to be sure, he thought that whitebeard was pretty much dead when he arrived, when he found out that he could still fight, he was scared shitless and tried to pathetically beg whitebeard not to hurt him, then he called his crew in because he wasn't sure he could win at that point. Blackbeard so far has needed his whole crew to fight whitebeard, his whole crew to help him with garp and sengoku, ran away from shanks, ran away from akainu, and almost got killed by magellan. Roger when he was sick and dying tied a young whitebeard(who everyone, marines and his own crew, admits that his age caught up to him and he wasn't as strong as he used to be, he couldn't even evade a surprise attack anymore, when before he could do it in his sleep). Aokiji, Kizaru, Akainu, Blackbeard, Jinbei, Sengoku, Garp, none of them could take whitebeard in his prime, if he can go head to head with them when he was 72 and injured with half his face gone, he could beat their ass if he was 25 years younger, and that younger whitebeard was unable to beat a sick roger. roger, in his prime, with his haki, can't be beat by a guy who runs from his old crew trainee(shanks)

the most dangers criminals in the world are considered silver medalists to whitebeard, who himself is a silver medalist to roger

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

And actually he did expect to beat all the marines, he directly challenged them along with the rest of Whitebeard's forces. He decided to leave because he didn't want to have to fight the marines, the Whitebeard pirates, AND the Red-hair pirates.
If he won a fight against whitebeard, than i guess ussop also beat the crap out of caesar clown, except he didn't, luffy did all the fighting, ussop was just cleanup, the marines injured whitebeard, blackbeard just 9 on 1'd against a 72 year old man who was already about to die, if whitebeard was that close to death, I could beat him if i had 8 other people with me shooting and stabbing

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Should i put all my bets on Roger because he was tied with young Newgate and win all the battles? :no

If Shanks is one of the Yonko, means he acquired that title after Roger's death. Shanks was kind of scared about Teach because he wounded him... the same Shanks could draw in strenght with Newgate another Yonko which has a little weak than before.

It means Teach hasn't used all his strenght yet, the same class with Roger that we doesn't know anything about him... but there's some difference here, Teach has broken abilities, and with Vergo whom has the best Busoshoku seen could do nothing with Law, Haki doesn't matter at all with fruits in your arsenal, and the man has two of them.

Who's the one with most things to win here? Teach.
Vergo didn't have the best busoshoku haki, if he did than that means that right now law is the strongest man in the world since the most powerful haki is useless against him, but this is false. How law was able to cut haki covered vergo isn't clear, it could be that he used his haki to cut through vergos and then used his ability, or he used only his ability, but right now its unkown

Shanks was equal to old whitebeard, blackbeard is about equal with shanks and old whitebeard since they are all yonkou, old whitebeard is weaker than young whitebeard, sick roger is equal to young whitebeard, sick roger is weaker than non sick roger, non sick roger wins all

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Not to mention, sinking an Armada(Shiki's) capable of conquering the world (if Roger agreed to join them), annihilating the crew of the first man to touch WB in the war (Squardo) numerous victory over Garp(implicitly Sengoku).

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
@redhairSH

Well, if you read my posts to the end, I didn't say I'd pick Blackbeard to win over Roger. So I'm not really arguing that point :)

What I objected to is the opinion I've seen that basically says,
"Well, Blackbeard begged for his life like a little girl..."
...But then what happened???
He took Whitebeard's colossal attack, right to the face... then got right back up.

That attack pounded Akainu into the ground!! Teach got right back on his feet, he didn't even get knocked out for a while. And THEN he killed Whitebeard, albeit with the help of his crew. All the Admirals basically attacked Whitebeard at once, and couldn't do jack. Was Whitebeard worn out when he died? Nope, he showed he was a monster right up until the end.

So do I think we've *clearly* seen Blackbeard surpass what I would feel to be Pirate King level? I don't think so, so I voted accordingly, and I certainly don't want to oversell a character. But let's not undersell Blackbeard, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.