Discussion - Romance in OP | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Romance in OP

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
^Sanji wouldnt hit on most of the amazons though. He doesnt hit on women, he hits on "beautiful women", meaning he would only hit on the few rare beauties in Amazon lili. Remember that the info boxes at the introduction of amazon lili said beauties were rare in amason lili.

toxun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I think the info box mean the beauty that rare in the other part of the world, it doesn't meant it rare there as you see some of them are pretty cute indeed :)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
True, some of them are cute, but if you pay attention most of them are buff and deformed. I think that the info box meant the the "conventional" beauty is rare.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't speak Japanese, so i can't be sure, but the English phrase "rare beauty" typically means "beauty that is rarely seen anywhere else."

As in "That girl is a rare beauty."

That's what i took that text box to mean. It would also go much better with the surroundings because clearly their were plenty of beauties on the Kuja island. Besides if it was trying to say there weren't many beautiful women there are many better ways to say that in English.

Last edited:

Kaiser Will

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Concept of beuty is very subjective, just look here and here.
As you can see one should think that Lucy is hot, but others not the concept depends from every person.

But in One Piece the Risky Brothers said that mermaids are more beutiful than Hancock. And Margaret said that Hancock is the most beutiful woman in the world.

But who would imagine that sameone so important like Hancock could fall for Luffy.

GoldenOrbs

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey, I'd say if Hancock plays her cards right she has about the same amount of chance with Luffy as Chi-Chi had with Goku in Dragonball.

bittman

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Really GoldenOrbs? They'll have kids by the end of the ten year flashforward? Oh wait, One Piece is long enough already.

Luffy doesn't get women, don't know why things would change miraculously for Hancock. Luffy see's women as men with a different body shape, so I can't see how a "Romance in OP" topic can even see Luffy as romantic.

And I'm kind of over people comparing Dragonball and One Piece. This is somewhat off topic, but though Oda's inspiration is indeed DragonBall, he doesn't, before writing or drawing, think to himself "How would it happen in DragonBall?"

But yeah, on beauty: it is of course very subjective. Look at the davy back "Most beautiful pirate" thread. Lots voted for Hancock, but I didn't because to me she's just sexy and not beautiful.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't even see the comparison between Luffy and Hancock and Goku and Chi Chi. In Dragon Ball, Goku won Chi Chi's hand in marriage sort of by the way, and she became enamored with him and eventually chased him down to force him to fulfill his "promise". Goku basically didn't wanna renege on a promise, so he went with it. Here, Luffy did absolutely NOTHING but impress Hancock with his willingness to defy the World Government, and she's become so lovesick that she's physically ill. The difference is, there's an actual disease this time, and there's nothing for Hancock to hold over Luffy's head to force him to marry her, like Chi Chi had. Not to mention that considering the situation, Luffy can't afford to have a fangirl who is also a rival pirate captain, an empress, and a Shichibukai hanging around his crew fangirl-ing, Hancock wouldn't fit the crew. As of now, I'm keeping "Hancock joins" as the "Dumb Theory of the Month". About two months ago it was "Haki is All-Powerful", last month it was "Haki is All-Powerful/Marguerite Will Join", and we see where both of those have ended up as of now...

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The chichi-goku comparison isnt used as much about the circumstances but rather because of the characters actitude towards it.
Goku simply went along with his marriage and never truly got an real understanding of what being married meant or being a father; the hypothetical situation in which some people think luffy ends up with boa in somewhat similar. Luffy could end up in a relationship with hancock, yet dont really understand it or even have a clue that he is in a relationship.
While I dont really see hancock joining the crew, I do think that Pirate empress and Pirate king are a good match. And since oda is a DBZ fan, he might as well make it happen...

Penny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol. I would really love to see Hatchan x Caimie. Those two are a natural pair. Rayleigh's female friend who owns that bar saw it immediately. "Are you Hatchan's lover?"

Hatchan responded calmly, but Caimie was like "Me? Hatchan's lover? I can never be!". That was such a cute scene. Caimie loves Hatchan so much, and is so grateful to him for saving her so many times, and for providing a home for her and Papagg, that she doesn't think she "deserves" to be Hatchan's bride.

But yes. I think Oda might grant us that. Or at least, the next time, when the Strawhat finally reunited on the Shabondy Archipelago, they will see Hatchan and Caimie hand in hand. They already make too much physical contact anyways. :D

Oh. And about Zoro's comment when Enel bolts Robin. I found Enel's respond a lot more hilarious.
Zoro: She's a woman!
Enel: I noticed.

:3

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I know that carmie is in love with hachi but I still find it wierd. Didnt hachi sell carmie as a slave to some fishmen during a side story?

Penny

Reaction score
Country
United States
... It might have been like that. It's too long ago. Someone helpful might post an onemanga link later. :P

But if I remember correctly, Caimie didn't know about it, and Hatchan quickly regretted his decision later, and rescued her. He realized just how important Caimie was to him.

Or at least, that's what I think. :D

Stop

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm really getting tired of all this LuffyxMeat crap... just because he doesn't doesn't show an interest in woman doesn't mean crap that what makes me like his character so much
Luffy obviously knows what makes a girl a girl and what makes a man a man he just thinks with his stomach most of the time.
Luffy is mature in his own way.

Example Man who loves his work so much that when his secretary puts the moves on him he just asks her for the paper work or w/e he has to get done.
Now if someone can show me one panel where Luffy looked at meat in a affectionate manner without it being just for comedy value then it's LuffyxGirl/Guy

sorry for the rant

Edit anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited:

RobinotX

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I don't even see the comparison between Luffy and Hancock and Goku and Chi Chi. In Dragon Ball, Goku won Chi Chi's hand in marriage sort of by the way, and she became enamored with him and eventually chased him down to force him to fulfill his "promise". Goku basically didn't wanna renege on a promise, so he went with it. Here, Luffy did absolutely NOTHING but impress Hancock with his willingness to defy the World Government, and she's become so lovesick that she's physically ill. The difference is, there's an actual disease this time, and there's nothing for Hancock to hold over Luffy's head to force him to marry her, like Chi Chi had. Not to mention that considering the situation, Luffy can't afford to have a fangirl who is also a rival pirate captain, an empress, and a Shichibukai hanging around his crew fangirl-ing, Hancock wouldn't fit the crew. As of now, I'm keeping "Hancock joins" as the "Dumb Theory of the Month". About two months ago it was "Haki is All-Powerful", last month it was "Haki is All-Powerful/Marguerite Will Join", and we see where both of those have ended up as of now...
No, Hancock fits with the SH... imo.. and I'll keep saying it untill Oda say she isn't going to join. You have theories and you have the stick with it. You can't agree with the opinion of someone else. Ok, but it doesn't mean because you don't like the idea it is dumb.

There were more theory's some came true some weren't..

But we shall see. If she joins, she joins. If she isn't she isnt.

Reason she could join is for example, her bitchy attitude against little animals. *She doesn't going to like chopper =(*

Oh well, we jus shall see.

EDIT:

Luffy knows what women are, when he saw Nami naked in Arabasta, he also got a bloodnose... if he really didn't get what women are, then he didn't had one v_v

Last edited:

bittman

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Haha, Luffy doesn't know anything about women. Sure, he knows there are women, and why they are different to men. But if Luffy really knew anything about women, he would have picked up on Hancock's personality shift instantly.

Point is, Luffy knows "of" women. Not "about" women.

Oh, and who wouldn't get a bloody nose at naked Nami? Even a child probably would.

RobinotX

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
But does that mean she isn't going to join?
If Luffy likes someone he likes her. Not like Hancock wants, but he would maybe like her enough to let her join the crew.

Oh well there are many things that I can think of, why she can join. Oda is giving us little tips. I think

chihoho

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
love status or crush on somebody:

Luffy and hancock
Zorro and Tashigi
Tashigi and smoker
hina and smoker
nami and money
brooke and panties
ussop and kaya

toxun

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I've already said, how Luffy doesn't grow his interest toward womanship because mostly of Nami influence. As you know Nami a bit exobist, like to charge anyone who see her. In alabasta Luffy did initiate a peek at woman tub, he also got nose bleed with Nami "Happy Punch" :p. But recent development show that Luffy doesn't put interest in woman body anymore, like shown in passage to Enies Lobby and Kuja. Nami put crews into these situation (but Usopp, Franky, & especially Sanji and Brook still considered normal [the last 2 are total pervert :D]) But it save Luffy in Kuja anyway :tem. About Hancock hatred toward pet, did someone say any theory before? My theory is because what Tenryuubito pet did to her when she was enslaved (just look what happened to pirate on SA, imagine that happened to her). About Chopper, I guess he won't be kicked if he in human form. Hancock done that because she abhor weakness. A man should act strong, and that should chopper do :):amuse

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Somehow I just dont see love happening in OP. The manga just isnt cut out for that. As much as boa is in love with luffy, luffy is way to dumb to actually ever do something about it or even something as simple as understanding it. You could sit luffy down, and slowly explain boa's feelings towards him and he still probably wouldnt get it. Zoro in love is as much as unlikely as luffy in love. Sanji is always in love (I know it is not love, but I dont know what else to call it...) but the odds of him getting some are very slim. Ussop, I wont even bother elaborating on him. Chopper isnt attracted to human women and the odds of him finding a creature such as himself are low. Franky is a middle aged liberal cyborg, no love for him IMO. Nami is young and way to interested in her carrier and money to bother with actual love IMO. Brook is an OLD perverted bag of bones, I dont see him getting some either.

Tenryuken

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Luffy is secretly in love with Nami and she'll be his queen.