Theory - Soma And Erina's Mothers | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Soma And Erina's Mothers

Msrito

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Not necessarily. Some people hold on to names even after divorce or other events. Though that cancels out the non-marriage part
Why can't you accept that she is dead? The author himself posted it on twiter

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Why can't you accept that she is dead? The author himself posted it on twiter
Actually I only started reading SnS a few days ago so I wouldn't know about that. If he really did post it then that's all there is to it

Msrito

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Actually I only started reading SnS a few days ago so I wouldn't know about that. If he really did post it then that's all there is to it
I thought you knew. I hope you enjoy the manga

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I thought you knew. I hope you enjoy the manga
Nah I didn't. Well I've already caught up and I did enjoy the manga. Pretty interesting even though I had doubts about it initially

Msrito

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Nah I didn't. Well I've already caught up and I did enjoy the manga. Pretty interesting even though I had doubts about it initially
I still have doubts about the genre, i haven't see yet drama or romance.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I still have doubts about the genre, i haven't see yet drama or romance.
Well those aren't entirely necessary for it to be good. Not sure romance would really be focused on. If it was, there have already been a lot of chances to do so.

ArkantosX

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Wow thanks BabyShiba for bringing me into this post...

Well considering the manga havent said anything about Souma's mom, I guess I'm going to assume that she's dead. But, man, this manga have a big world, untold secrets, this is not even the 2nd year of the school yet and it's already been 133 chapters. I hope the storyline is as big and as good as One Piece!

KugelBlitz

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi Guys,

Im new here and i registered because something has been bothering me for a very long time now and i wanted to discuss it with others.

Regarding the romance between Erina ans Soma something has been bothering me for quite sometime now.

Where is Erina's mother? Why isn't she with her and how come when Erina was little and got abused by her father, her mother didn't do anything. Also in all those flashbacks we didn't see her mother once except of some flashbacks of when she was a baby and was tasting her mothers milk.
From what i have seen so far it seems to me that Erina's mother has passed away when she was very little. Considering the fact that Soma's mother also passed away when Soma was very little. This could mean 3 things:

1. Erina and Soma's mother were very close and probably died together in some kind of accident(could be the reason why Erina's father got violent and maybe also the reason why Joichiro never graduated?)
2. Erina's mother = Soma's mother. This could then have resulted into Joichiro not graduating and Erina's father getting violent.
3. Erina's mother and Soma's mother have nothing to do with each other and Erina's mother is either dead or just absent from her life for some reason.

I would hate it if option 2 was true (given the fact that i'm a huge fan of Soma x Erina). Option 1 would in my opinion be very plausible and would explain a couple of things regarding the story line.

Let me know what you guys think!

AAM1232

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Nice to meet you and welcome to the community!! :super

Regarding the topic, I find Option 3 to be the most plausible for reasons I'll explain below. I'll be covering each option and giving my thoughts about how plausible they are in terms of the story. I'll also give some of my theories so bear with me. That said, here we go:

1. The mothers being friends might be possible since most of the story revolves around Tootsuki and the idea that Jou's whole philosophy about cooking and love is hinted to have come from Gin and Soma's mom. However, I find the accident story to be a bit unrealistic and unrelated to Jou never graduating and Azami's obsession with gourmet cooking. After all, based on Soma's and Erina's ages (15/16 & 16 respectively) Jou would have been 23 and Azami 21, long past graduation. About Azami's obsession, we'll need more info but I feel it's from his upbringing rather than any sudden shock.

2. I find this highly unlikely as it would really break the fandom in half which isn't needed right now. Plus, the author seems to be developing the SomaXErina ship so having them be half- siblings would really throw a wrench in that. Also, I find it unrelated to Jou not graduating and Azami's obsession for same reasons as above.

3. This seems the most likely as so far most assumptions of them being related is based on both of them having attended Tootsuki with Jou and Azami with Erina’s mom being the more likely since it seems that Azami married into the family. However, Jou could just as easily have met Soma’s mom after he left Tootsuki (maybe he went into their shop and had a Shokugeki with her and so on…). At this point, Erina’s mom seems to have passed away when Erina was young, since otherwise I can’t find myself to believe that she would have not known or done anything about Azami’s brainwashing if she was alive unless she was even worse than Azami that she was banished like him.

I personally feel that the two mothers are not related to each other (as far as the manga suggests). However, Jou might have known Erina’s mom at Tootsuki since she was a Nakiri and so presumably learnt cooking there as well. I feel that Jou met Soma’s mom at a restaurant she was working in (maybe the Yukihira family shop?) and that their relationship might have started with a Shokugeki or tasting challenge (since Jou’s advice to Soma about cooking/love was to find someone that would make him give all the food he made to her), eventually culminating in their marriage and Soma being born.

So that’s all from me! What do you think?

Sherlupin

Reaction score
Country
France
Regarding the romance between Erina ans Soma something has been bothering me for quite sometime now.
Since when has there been romnce between those two?

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Since when has there been romnce between those two?
It´s Erina blushing multiple times already, or acting tsun, whenever something Soma related is brought up, poor girl is having a love epiphany ever since Soma had meet her at the admission test for Totsuki lol:teehee.

Though, gonna be honest, it feels like a one sided romance, when the MC is way more focused in cooking in of itself (while other cooks around him express the power of feelings in cooking (Akira at finals) or get affected by it in more ways than Soma, while actually thinking about it (like Megumi) right through his face and he either ignores it, or doesnt realize it´s full importance til later on the plot:teehee)

Last edited:

kjskjs

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
2. Erina's mother = Soma's mother. This could then have resulted into Joichiro not graduating and Erina's father getting violent.
No way....
How can Souma and Erina were born in the same age? :)

Except Soma and Erina were a twin.

KugelBlitz

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
You make some very good points and now i also think that indeed option 3 seems the most plausible although i wouldn't know why the mangaka decided to kill both their mothers, not to mention at seemingly the same time(that is if Erinas mother is really dead, she could still be alive tho just very busy and outside Japan).

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

No way....
How can Souma and Erina were born in the same age? :)

Except Soma and Erina were a twin.
Technically it is possible since Erina is older than Soma By a couple months, how much exactly i don't know but since its unknown it could be more than nine months and technically would be possible although for that to happen Soma's mother must cheat on Azami right after she gave birth to Erina which would be kinda messed up and would not only not fit the story line but would kinda destroy it in my opinion. So yeah in the heat of the moment i thought that would be an option but the more i think about it the more impossible it seems. So i think its either Option 2 or 3 that is assuming Erinas mother is really dead.

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Why did you even bring up point 2, in the 1st place?

You do know this is a Jump series, no? >_>

And the recent chapter (Erina's mother being a Nakiri) should finally put that ridiculous notion to rest, you know? =.=

Akia999

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Personally, I think Soma's mother is just an *ordinary woman that Joichirou met during his travel days. She's not afflicted to Tootsuki or Nakiri family in anyway. (I know there are many theories linking Soma's mother to the the Nakiri family or Tootsuki but I'm not very keen on it)
*Ordinary in terms of background but obviously mean a lot for Soma & Joichirou.

Considering how Fumio and Gin only recently become aware that Soma is Joichirou's son, I highly doubt that she was a former Tootsuki student. Or else Gin or Fumio would have known something about it.

Joichirou fell in love with her and settle down. He could have wanted to have a peaceful life away from the fame he has as a chef so he use her family name. He may have also wanted Soma to grow up without being affected by his fame. Hence, why joichirou never talk about himself. (Chapter 1 and 41)
I also don't think there will be any huge reveal regarding the Yukihira family. But the Saiba family may be important in the future.

I could also see the cliche " A widow/er who lost their true love met someone new and found love again" scenario happen. Joichirou fall in love again and find someone else to cook for.
Assuming that Soma had his scar around her death, she died when Soma was around 7~11 years old. So, Joichirou would have been a widower for around 5~9 years. That's fair enough of a time for someone to move on.

JonDou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
she could be dead because in the family picture Souma did not have a scar on his eyebrow and probably got it when his mother saved him in an accident(this is my opinion based on thd information from the anime and manga)
I think this is a very likely explanation of the scar. It would not surprise me if Yukihira was originally her restaurant. It would not surprise me if some day an opponent makes disparaging remarks about Soma's mother and we get the whole back story.

BreakingTime

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Option 2 is impossible since Erina's mom is a Nakiri. Joichiro's family name is Saiba so Yukihira would be Souma's mom family name.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Within the context of the current arc, we may learn more about Soma's mother. (Since I expect him to cook something that would make his mother proud)

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Within the context of the current arc, we may learn more about Soma's mother. (Since I expect him to cook something that would make his mother proud)

The Tweet was replied to about a month ago, so there's a chance we will learn more about Souma's past & his mum in flashbacks, in the process of him cooking his dish or after serving it.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

The Tweet was replied to about a month ago, so there's a chance we will learn more about Souma's past & his mum in flashbacks, in the process of him cooking his dish or after serving it.
Did he say anything about Erina's mother? Or just Soma's? I'm curious about Erina's and wonder if there is any relationship between her and Soma's mother.