Theory - Soma And Erina's Mothers | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Soma And Erina's Mothers

BaBYShiBa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Did he say anything about Erina's mother? Or just Soma's? I'm curious about Erina's and wonder if there is any relationship between her and Soma's mother.
AFAIK, no one has asked him about that, yet.

Tsukuda-sensei does comprehend simple English, so you're free to pose him said query (though I think you'd get a similar answer in return). :p

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
AFAIK, no one has asked him about that, yet.

Tsukuda-sensei does comprehend simple English, so you're free to pose him said query (though I think you'd get a similar answer in return). :p
Probably, but I'm dying to know if my "Soma and Erina Blood Relationship" theory to be confirmed or denied. (Being Cousins means the ship still sails)

Demonspeed

Damegami
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
If they were related Senzaemon would have been able to arrange a meeting for the two without asking Jouchiro to send him to Totsuki I think.

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Probably, but I'm dying to know if my "Soma and Erina Blood Relationship" theory to be confirmed or denied. (Being Cousins means the ship still sails)
What? You're STILL on that? That ridiculous notion should've been thrown out of the window long ago. >_>

Again, I need to stress WSJ doesn't incorporate such themes in its lineup.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
What? You're STILL on that? That ridiculous notion should've been thrown out of the window long ago. >_>

Again, I need to stress WSJ doesn't incorporate such themes in its lineup.
I wasn't aware WSJ was against cousin relationships.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
If they were related Senzaemon would have been able to arrange a meeting for the two without asking Jouchiro to send him to Totsuki I think.
Maybe, unless Jou was hesitant to send Soma to Tootsuki originally.

Do note I assuming before Erina's and Soma's mothers are dead too

JonDou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
People associated with Soma's mother:

Jouichirou, we assume she was his wife because he took upon himself her family name.

Soma, Probably remembers her, but beyond that.... Has never met his real grandmother.

Senzaemon, Probably knew her because he kept in touch with Jou.

Doujima Gin, because he recognized the name Yukihira after meeting Soma and seeing the similarities between him and Jou.

Azami Nakiri, The Yukihira name didn't set off any alarms in Azami's head, but he was not surprised Jouichirou had a son. That Jou's son and his daughter entered school in the same year puzzled him but he thinks he now understands the situation. Is it a coincidence or a set up?

Tsukuda said in a tweet that Soma's mother is dead.

Have I missed something? That's all we know for now.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
@JonDou You got the knowns or assumed knowns, but there is plenty of unknowns as well.

JonDou

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
@JonDou You got the knowns or assumed knowns, but there is plenty of unknowns as well.
Anything beyond these current facts is guessing and fan fiction. The real story will be more dramatic than my guess, but my guess is that Soma's mother was the daughter of Yukihira's owner. Gin probably knew the restaurant's owner, knew Jou worked there and made the connection that he married into the family and that Soma was Jouichirou's son. Here is some real speculation: What if Yukihira was a restaurant where Jouichirou was a Tootsuki stagiaire and that was when he met the daughter! He never finished school because he fell in love! Jun mentioned that some students become enamored of the places they are sent to and end up working there, so that could be foreshadowing of what happened with Jouichirou...

Last edited:

Akia999

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
There was this tweet that caught my interest. It doesn't tell anything really but I'll post it. I'm sure Babyshiba would have seen it.

Kurara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I want Souma mother to be really bad at cooking. Her cooking is more monstrous than her husband and son, probably it's why Jou attracted to her in the first place. And why Jou says he think Souma is not blessed with great cooking talent.

She is a national/world renowned figure in her expertise, which is why Gin knows about her. Gin is managing Tootsuki resort after all.

One of the my (outrageous) scenarios is her mother is an archeologist or an anthropologist, and she and Jou met during their journey. She probably died in accident in her research site. Soma probably doesn't know much about her, due to her traveling a lot. Jou and Soma are making bad dishes in order to beat her worst dish and to remember her.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
She is a national/world renowned figure in her expertise, which is why Gin knows about her. Gin is managing Tootsuki resort after all.
None of the bigwigs that attended the Autumn Elections have ever heard of the Yukihira surname. Gin probably heard the name while he was a student at Tootsuki. It's very well possible that whatever happened to Soma's mother influenced Jouichirou's decision to not only drop out of Tootsuki, but to change his surname from Saiba to Yukihira. I'm thinking that a family dispute erupted between Jouichirou and his family over his relationship with Yukihira. Jouichirou's family forced Yukihira to drop out of Tootsuki in a two-bit attempt to separate the two, causing Jouichirou to drop out in protest and then motivate him to take his wife's surname when he married her. Bear in mind Jouichirou never specified (maternal or paternal) which grandma Soma never knew. It'd make sense that Soma never knew his paternal grandmother if Jouichirou cut ties with his family in disgust over how they treated his future wife. (For his maternal grandma, she was probably dead by the time Soma was born.)

Kurara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
None of the bigwigs that attended the Autumn Elections have ever heard of the Yukihira surname. Gin probably heard the name while he was a student at Tootsuki. It's very well possible that whatever happened to Soma's mother influenced Jouichirou's decision to not only drop out of Tootsuki, but to change his surname from Saiba to Yukihira. I'm thinking that a family dispute erupted between Jouichirou and his family over his relationship with Yukihira. Jouichirou's family forced Yukihira to drop out of Tootsuki in a two-bit attempt to separate the two, causing Jouichirou to drop out in protest and then motivate him to take his wife's surname when he married her. Bear in mind Jouichirou never specified (maternal or paternal) which grandma Soma never knew. It'd make sense that Soma never knew his paternal grandmother if Jouichirou cut ties with his family in disgust over how they treated his future wife. (For his maternal grandma, she was probably dead by the time Soma was born.)
It's totally possible that Jou is cut his ties with his family. Souma said that he knows almost nothing about his dad after all.
As for Souma's mother we will know in time she was a big shot or not. In shounen, MC's mother is usually dead, was a big shot or will never be explained until near end.

mail_yamungkin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I'm getting lots of Bleach vibes here about Soma's mother. Think about it, the mother of the main character is the most mysterious person in the manga and there's very little info about her, meaning that there is quite possibly something big about her. And the father married into her family name, and is one of the top dogs in the manga (and also someone considered worthy of respect from a bigger top dog).

I'm betting 10 to 1 this manga will jump on the badass mommies bandwagon just like how Bleach and Naruto did. I'm betting Soma's mother is someone considered equal to the top chefs of the academy or at least someone considered worthy of respect to them.
I agree.... because... Saiba said that Soma should find a woman who can make Soma pour all his cooking ... that'll make soma be a great chef ....
if i imagine Soma's Mom.... she's really looked like Erina.... :D

Zekiel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want Souma mother to be really bad at cooking. Her cooking is more monstrous than her husband and son, probably it's why Jou attracted to her in the first place. And why Jou says he think Souma is not blessed with great cooking talent.

One of the my (outrageous) scenarios is her mother is an archeologist or an anthropologist, and she and Jou met during their journey. She probably died in accident in her research site. Soma probably doesn't know much about her, due to her traveling a lot. Jou and Soma are making bad dishes in order to beat her worst dish and to remember her.
This could actually work because he was traveling around the world however it have him cooking for the scientist and she showed up at that sight and they started talking dating etc. Because of how cat like jou is and how much he travels around the world I doubt it would've been in a city. But we'll see.
@BaBYShiBa I'd say the chances are high to see souma's and erina mothers. Even though that tweet only said souma mother. 1) Imo were almost practically guaranteed to see all three jou gin and azami's backstory. As others have stated azami's reasons as to why he left tootsuki which will revolve around azami leading to the moments of meeting souma mom. Then there's azami's wife and the fact that azami's backstory we'll be shown after jou left and how that tied in with meeting a nakiri and what happened to hismindset after she died perhaps? That may play a major role as to why he's the way he is now. We'll see.... should be interesting

Rintarou

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
We know that Souma knows his mother somewhat because of the picture of him and his parents, why he fails to either visit her grave or talk about it is unknown, probably a soft spot, could relate to the scar he attains.

sarahmavis

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks to you guys I'm now less scared that Souma and Erina are blood related. Souma's mom looking kinda Nakiri-like really git me scared.
Though nothing seems to be a coincidence in manga, Mangaka often like to troll us and provocate stuff like this. so I really hope that's the case as a Sourina (it's that what they're called?) shipper

also the developement they went through really looks like it goes into a romantic directions, more on Erina's side though

and now that I read everything, it really is highly unlikely a mother would give birth to one child and get immediatly pregnant with another

one question: did Jou meet the mom when he was 23 and got her pregnant or did they meet before? I'm going completely wild now and gonna bring in my idea that Jou left school cause he was in love with a teacher. I mean looking at his character, making food for the woman most important to you being more imorant than his education.
and Azami is so pissed at him because he respected his senpai so deeply and then he leaves the school and his promising future career for a love

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
It just occurred me there are at least two more possibilities on how Gin heard the name "Yukihira". It's possible that both Souma's and Erina's mothers died in the same accident. Gin overheard the name "Yukihira" when he learned about Erina's mother dying. Another possibility is that he overheard Azami muttering the name of the diner Jouchirou opened up. Either way I don't think there's a great mystery surrounding how Gin heard the name before, but isn't familiar with it.

Zekiel

Reaction score
Country
United States
It just occurred me there are at least two more possibilities on how Gin heard the name "Yukihira". It's possible that both Souma's and Erina's mothers died in the same accident. Gin overheard the name "Yukihira" when he learned about Erina's mother dying. Another possibility is that he overheard Azami muttering the name of the diner Jouchirou opened up. Either way I don't think there's a great mystery surrounding how Gin heard the name before, but isn't familiar with it.
Or jou mightve said something to him long ago......about his resteraunt.

I was thinking about the same thing as it seems gin just put 2 and 2 together to come up with conclusion.

Gin had a hunch and then figured it out after souma reminded him of jou.

At least thats what' shown anyway

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
In my opinion, Jou falls off the map and out of touch to Azami when he drops out of Tootsuki. Due to Mrs Azami being a Nakiri, Jou probably knows her. But Azami has probably no knowledge of Mrs Yukihira. We shall know more shortly.

Perhaps through sheer luck, there is some kind of connection. They can't be related imo, just wouldn't make sense. Friends perhaps. Tbh, I highly doubt there is a connection between the 2.

People who may/not know the parents based on what we know...
- Fumio doesn't know Soma's mum but should know Erina's.
- Senzaemon will probably know Mrs Yukihira
- Gin would have probably met Mrs Yukihira once maybe at the wedding or similar. He would also know Mrs Nakiri.
- Hisako doesn't know either (obviously not Soma's mum)

Hunches (pure speculation)
- Hisako's father will know Mrs Nakiri for sure, and maybe knows Mrs Yukihira
- Megumi's mother perhaps knows Mrs Yukihira before she met Jou (unlike everyone else I mentioned). Jou could have traveled to that region of Japan.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I doubt Gin met Ms. Yukihira. He would have reconized Souma's heritage if so, and right off the bat. It seems the first time he met Jou was in Europe, when Azami took over Tootsuki.

There's no need of extra connections to make things interesting. The fact that she can be just an ordinary person is nice in itself. That's the meaning of Yukihira to begin with! The blessing of being ordinary.