Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Doesn't this put it all in perspective though?

That was the last time we saw Star Wars before this. I could have done with more Jedi stuff but at the end of the day I can't help but love The Force Awakens for what it wasn't....garbage. Which is what the prequels became. They were so freakin' bad.
III wasn't that bad though, it would have been far much better with a better actor instead of Hayden. He's easily the biggest weakness of the prequels, apart from Jar Jar. Though, if you read a fan theory, Jar Jar becomes less annoying. I think.
Plot points, cast, acting. I guess I got it all covered before actually. Will have to watch it another few times though to be completely fair, as with previous movies.
I don't have to like every good movie. Had the same problem with Gravity. Neither was drawing me in enough to make me forget I was watching a movie. And with Star Wars and the hypemachine, it's probably a lot of disappointment playing into it in this case. Biased, nitpicky, guess they both fit.
Gravity was the movie with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, right? Could be because I spoiled myself the night prior by reading the Wiki, but it never held me in as much suspense. The opener was a mindfuck though, with the view and all. Of course, heights make me feel funny, so.

I guess it's because it's not what you expected from Star Wars. I've had few problems with TFA as well, but ultimately, I enjoyed it.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just thought it might fit in here

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
III wasn't that bad though, it would have been far much better with a better actor instead of Hayden. He's easily the biggest weakness of the prequels, apart from Jar Jar. Though, if you read a fan theory, Jar Jar becomes less annoying. I think.
I think you might be forgetting just how bad the writing was.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
....go on
http://www.buzzfeed.com/isaacfitzgerald/darth-jar-jar#.fgPvVOWD0
I think you might be forgetting just how bad the writing was.

You showed me two videos from Episode II, which had the worst writing out of all Star Wars, and only one from III... I was defending III because while some of the reasons and logic were bad, the writing wasn't that bad. III is easily superior to I and II. Not that that's saying much, but still.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Imperium

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Well reading the full reddit thread rather than than that butchered clickbait article is more convincing. Although it does of course reach in a lot of places (the jarjar jedi mind tricks is a chasm sized reach IMO even after looking at the gifs) but its a fun theory.

Thread for ref.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Well reading the full reddit thread rather than than that butchered clickbait article is more convincing. Although it does of course reach in a lot of places (the jarjar jedi mind tricks is a chasm sized reach IMO even after looking at the gifs) but its a fun theory.

Thread for ref.
Yeah, people received reddit gold for being clever and/or putting a lot of thought and creativity into something that they write, but it doesn't mean anything as far as being viable....so while it might be less clickbaity and cringe-inducing than Buzzfeed, is it really all that different?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Ah, Buzzfeed...how did I know? I saw jokes about such a thing but never looked into it. It's already ridiculous once you get to the part of his behavior being a facade. It's obvious Lucas was going for something overly silly and childish as comedic relief and nothing else.
Personally, I agree with you. But one can hope that Jar Jar was meant to help Sidious rise to power instead of just being a bumbling fool as Lucas' shitty attempt at humor.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Personally, I agree with you. But one can hope that Jar Jar was meant to help Sidious rise to power instead of just being a bumbling fool as Lucas' shitty attempt at humor.
I don't know why anyone would hope that, lol. He was just a diabolically piss-poor attempt at comic relief...trying to give him a greater purpose wouldn't have changed the movies at all for me, if anything it would have made them worse *tries to imagine that being possible*

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Dunno, better or more important purpose than being a poor comic relief? Rewatching the series now, to boot. v.v

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Dunno, better or more important purpose than being a poor comic relief? Rewatching the series now, to boot. v.v
It's because it doesn't fit his character at all, nor is it even referenced in the story. He was just a really terrible replacement for the droids or Chewie

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Not sure how he could replace Chewie when he was barely useful at all, completely opposite of Chewie.

Why didn't Lucas leave off Jar Jar though? Just a mention that he went back to his homeworld or was killed would have sufficed.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Not sure how he could replace Chewie when he was barely useful at all, completely opposite of Chewie.

Why didn't Lucas leave off Jar Jar though? Just a mention that he went back to his homeworld or was killed would have sufficed.
As the "cute" alien/non-human companion

Because as a result of the events of the first movie he probably became famous on Naboo, and instead of some unknown character replacing Amidala's position, they chose him...? idk

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Because George Lucas is and was a stubborn old man in love with computer technology, and Jar Jar was an excuse to play around with that. He never needed to be a part of the movie nor did he really contribute to it but that doesn't mean Lucas could would let him go away. I get why people want to believe he was a better idea than he was and develop elaborate ideas to try and make that seem plausible but I don't buy it.

Goofy characters like C3PO have always been something Lucas included and, like xio said, Jar Jar was just another one of those add ons.

If his plans had been to do something else with the character, he probably would have done it anyway. Lucas has always been pretty open about the fact that he wasn't trying to make the star wars movies fans wanted. He made the star wars movies he wanted. Remember people didn't really want the prequels in the first place. What they wanted was a true sequel to star wars. He knew that but absolutely would not do it.

I like a lot of things George Lucas as done over the years. Star Wars obviously. He wrote Willow, which was one of my favorite movies growing up. He created Indiana Jones. But at a certain point his movie making stopped being about providing something for fans to enjoy and started being about himself.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I don't see characters like Threepio as an add-on, he actually contributed to the story. Without him or Artoo, Luke would not have gotten off the planet, not as quickly as he did. This could be bias talking though.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't see characters like Threepio as an add-on, he actually contributed to the story. Without him or Artoo, Luke would not have gotten off the planet, not as quickly as he did. This could be bias talking though.
Yeah but he still fits the role of the comical, non-human companion

Imperium

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Yeah, people received reddit gold for being clever and/or putting a lot of thought and creativity into something that they write, but it doesn't mean anything as far as being viable....so while it might be less clickbaity and cringe-inducing than Buzzfeed, is it really all that different?
I didn't mean to imply different, but it is a more fleshed out argument just because it hasn't been truncated. Which is why I pointed you to the full theory to read as opposed to that article.

If its a viable theory is a different matter anyway as that is up to Disney. There isn't a universal truth and if the writers are trawling the Internet they may decide to go with it. Its not the stupidest thing to have been done.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I didn't mean to imply different, but it is a more fleshed out argument just because it hasn't been truncated. Which is why I pointed you to the full theory to read as opposed to that article.

If its a viable theory is a different matter anyway as that is up to Disney. There isn't a universal truth and if the writers are trawling the Internet they may decide to go with it. Its not the stupidest thing to have been done.
Umm, so you're referring to the idea that he's Snoke, I guess?

I mean, it's one thing if we say that he had a hand in Palpatine's rise, a lot of people did, unknowingly. But saying he's Snoke is something even crazier... there would be a riot. :lmao

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation