Question - The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot) | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot)

The Ape Titan is...

• ...human-based.

Votes: 79 62.7%
  • ...a pure titan.

Votes: 47 37.3%

• Total voters

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, the official release was much more clear about this. For those who haven't picked it up, the ape titan said: "So you're using swords? You must know we're in the neck."
Oh wow really? I liked "So you know what's hiding in the napes of our necks." Left it a bit more ambiguous but still pretty implicit. The official release just says it straight.. weird.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Well, RBA have all made clear that they're "Warriors on a mission" and that mission is apparently to wipe out the humans inside of the Wall. It is hard to say whether the Ape Titan is behind this mission of theirs though - it's implied that it does have something to do with it though, and it seems to be the one who transformed R & B into titans as well...
The Ape titan seems to be a separate faction from the Warriors, but they seem to be vaguely aware of him. When Ymir asked Reiner about the Ape, he either obfuscated, or genuinely had no idea what she was talking about (after he just saw it, which means it can manipulate memories). It could've also been Reiner's dissociative identities acting up too though, given how confused Bert was. In all likelihood, they just don't know much about it and Reiner's alternate personality knew even less about it (being on the same 'level' as the protagonists of the SL).

It acted like it was just 'checking up' on the humans and even made sure to cover his tracks and attempt to kill all who saw him... but only after thoroughly observing the change in their capacity to combat titans since the last time it had apparently encountered humans. Which given the timeline's placement of when the 3DMG was invented, seems to be about 70 years at the very least. I hope we'll be seeing it in Before the Fall.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
this is why i said...it all ties into 5yrs ago when BAR broke the wall...it either alerted something or unleashed something...

got this feelin ape titan is the one who turned ymir...

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
She said she *stole* the power, so I doubt the ape had much to do with it. Also, she seems to know a lot but she had to ask Bert and Reiner about who the "monkey" is. If he told her to take it, she should have remembered that, since it was before her time as a mindless titan. It's possible they've met and she doesn't realize it, though.

I think it is very possible that Bert and Reiner set something off by setting out to destroy the walls. Maybe they were purposely trying to make the ape titan appear?

Munboy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
England
I think it is very possible that Bert and Reiner set something off by setting out to destroy the walls. Maybe they were purposely trying to make the ape titan appear?
That would be interesting. Though I get the feeling they probably wanted to exterminate the humans before the Ape Titan discovered the walls. Hence his appearance changed their objective. It is also possible that their failure to exterminate the humans inadvertently caused the Ape Titan to discover the walls.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, it's very up in the air. So many questions... I hope we can get some answers soon.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
If I'm right and the Walls are specifically made/ruled by the Ape titan and/or his faction, the Warriors attacked humanity in the walls to draw out the Ape. But they looked... weird when they saw it, like they were being glamoured or something. Then Reiner couldn't/wouldn't answer Ymir's question about the Ape. Now that I think about it, the Ape did display coordinate-esque titan control ability- maybe Eren was just another shifter/coordinate that fell into their lap when they were in the middle of looking for the Ape.

PIXISSUUU

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I believe there are Four (possibly 3) types of titans we've seen so far:

Funny Face Titans - Run of the mill mindless giant zombies essentially

Skinless Titan Shifters - Annie, Reiner, Bertholdt, and the Titans in the Walls all fall in this category. Opens up the possibility that all the wall titans are shifters, and each has thier own human inside. Potential Motivation for the Warrior Hometown crew to retake the walls to free thier comrades.

Beastly Humanoid Titan Shifters - Eren falls in this category easily. Ymir's titan also seems to superficially fall into this category. They have skin, pointy ears, and crazy teeth after shifting to Titan mode.

Ape Titan - In a class of his own? He also has skin (under the fur) and pointy ears however, so he might be closer off to Eren & Ymir's titan. Too many unknowns to speculate if it's a Shifter Titan or just a huge ass intelligent monkey.

---------- Post added February 09, 2014 at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was February 06, 2014 at 09:37 PM ----------

There are a few theories associated with this.

One, There could be a social experiment that Apey is running with the humans in the wall. After all, this falls in line with the myth that a common enemy may cause humanity to unite. Apey may be interested in the true nature of humans, and judging them for some reason. I also think he may be cultivating humans like "cattle" for the sake of replenishing his titan supply to use against RBA's Hometown Warrior crew. RBA's team maybe trying to eliminate the source of new titans by destroying the walled cities so that there are no new titans to try and eat them.

pera2

Reaction score
Country
Yugoslavia
Ape titan took the gas tools to analyze them. He will either create counter tools, or create big ones for him to fly around :)

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

anyone else thinks Erens father was living in that castle, Ape was looking for him, and that flask contained some Titan vial? Maybe Ape Titan just took one flask and poured it in the village well.

nesean

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ape titan took the gas tools to analyze them. He will either create counter tools, or create big ones for him to fly around :)
There aren't much counter tools other than slippery surfaces and wire-pulling. lol.. First time I've heard that option of creating another 3dmg though.

meetyournemesis

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
wait...i think it's pretty clear that pure titan is human based...
Exactly! Eren's dad is the Ape Titan. He don't know anything about the 3d maneuver gear because he's outside the walls for years. Remember he ran away and travel outside the wall after he inject something on eren and never come back?

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

It is confirmed that the Ape Titan is Eren's dad. The only one who can analyze them is Mr. Fahrenheit (Eren's father). That's why he don't about the 3d maneuver gear because he's outside the wall for years. Remember that part when he inject something on Eren's body and never come back again?

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

If I'm right and the Walls are specifically made/ruled by the Ape titan and/or his faction, the Warriors attacked humanity in the walls to draw out the Ape. But they looked... weird when they saw it, like they were being glamoured or something. Then Reiner couldn't/wouldn't answer Ymir's question about the Ape. Now that I think about it, the Ape did display coordinate-esque titan control ability- maybe Eren was just another shifter/coordinate that fell into their lap when they were in the middle of looking for the Ape.
Exactly! It is confirmed that the Ape Titan is Eren's dad... Remember the part when Eren's dad injected something on him? It is because he wanted Eren to shift into titan to set coordinate. Eren is just a decoy. The real coordinate is the Ape Titan itself. He took the gas to analyze it, right? He took it because he wan't to improve his work or the one he injected on Eren.

That is just a fact.

mandroid

Reaction score
Country
Macedonia
no guys, if he didn't lost his memory he would know for the 3dmg for sure, how could he have not known, it was probably long time ago invented, and remember, the scouting legion entered through the town when eren saw them, grisha was home then, and the scouting legion had 3dmg. also hannes (and the other stationary guards) used 3dmg, we saw hannes that he had one on him when he wanted(?) to save Carla. so, the only thing that denies the theory that grisha is the ape titan is the unknowledgement of the 3dmg, except if he has doppelhaenger (my crazy theory) or is encountering memory loss... so when u do checksum it's 5% possibly that grisha is eren father. if it wasn't for the 3dmg unknowledgement he would be Grisha for sure (because of the outlook similarity)

ArtIristic

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I think maybe the Beast Titan could be connected to Castle Utgard. For those who don't know, Utgard in Norse Mythology was the homebase of the Jötunn, basically Giant beings. The leader of the Giants was Utgard-Loki (Not related to Thors brother), and he tested Thor and his comrades in several games, much like the Beast Titan tested the strenght of humanity.
Maybe the Beast Titan lived in the castle for an undetermined amount of time, and for an unknown reason decided to go to Connie's village.

Also something else, after the Beast Titan threw those 2 rocks at the Scouting Legion, on the top of the tower, you can see a 3DMG lying on the ground, and the the panel is for some reason focusing on it.
I can't see why it would just throw it away, if it was going to study it. Maybe it figured after seeing them fight with it, it deemed it worthless and deemed the humans worthless as well and decided to let them die.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/16

Slawek

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Ape Titan = Lod Reiss

Loot at this

The Ape Titan has the power to transform people in Connie's village into titans. In 54 chapter The President says "The goverment have the truth power"
Lord Reiss's family belong to the goverment.

After he threw rock and killed members of Scouting Legion, the titan went into Wall Sina.

The ape titan didn't know about 3D manuvear gear? Yes, because the Reiss family lives in their own world, the know(maybe planned) about the fall of Wall Maria.

Maybe Lord Reiss lives over 100 years due to titan power?

sameel

Reaction score
Country
India
Welcome to the forum!

So then historia should inherit titanic powers right?

Slawek

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Welcome to the forum!

So then historia should inherit titanic powers right?
In my opinion she should, because in chapter 52 many people wanted to kill her.

ofski

Reaction score
Country
Wales
This is going to be a long one so please be patient

Hey Guys I'm new to this forum and have read all 14 pages of this topic and I really like some of the theories here. Ok I have one but I have no evidence of it, I just imagined that could be the case so just think of it as a fans idea more than an actual theory haha. Sorry if this sounds confusing I've tried to explain the best I can.

Also when I use word warewolf I don't mean actual warewolf I mean a monster thats similar.

Back Story
ok so in that war between humans and monsters.... the monsters were actually humans from a different part of Earth who can turn into monsters (kind of like werewolves). they came to invade this side of earth (europe i'm guessing?).

so we have the country where everything's taking place (let's call this country A) but back in the war humanity looked pretty much like it was going to lose.... so another country (lets call it country B) allied with country A and managed to create a weapon to have humans become similar to those warewolf monster things (titans) and helped protect country A. (they didn't want to give country A the formula for this weapon as they didn't want another power to have it) this meant sending people to use the titan form to protect Country A by creating a wall to stop these warewolves. Maybe this was only meant to be temporary until the warewolves left but Country A betrayed Country B (as they didn't have the knowledge of the weapon formula) and decided not to give these wall titans back as they're greedy and evil humans etc......

these warewolf monsters maybe went back to their own country or something but now Country B have become weak as the people have become country A's wall so they fight to try to get them back. ( also I think the higher ups in Country A manipulated the populations memory somehow to instead of them remembering titans were allies, changed it to think that titans were enemies instead, so they wouldn't get a rebellion or oppoistion). After years of attack the people of country B started to lose memories and became mindless monsters (hence the small non intelligent titans also as they age they get smaller maybe?)

So now onto the characters etc:

Erin's Dad - I believe he (or his family) is from Country B and is part of a undercover team to take the walls back so they can go home. him and the team had brought with them that formula and designed it in such a way that each member of this titan team had certain abilities that together would defeat country A (one to break the wall, another to control smaller titans etc). maybe the team had planned all along to use their children as this titan team. whilst being undercover erins dad fell in love or became happy with his life so decided not to become a part of it??????? but he didn't want anyone to know his heritage so didn't tell anyone about the upcoming attack. on the day of the attack he went to meet someone else who is part of this undercover team maybe to tell him he couldn't go through with it because of his family or something and after coming back discovered his wife had died (maybe intentionally because he didn't want to be part of the plan). so because he didn't want eren to die aswell he gave him the titan power so he can protect himself rather than making him part of the titan team (hence the crying etc). after that I'm stuck between 2 things, either he got taken away by the other members for being a traitor.... or he left to see if country B still exists (it's been so long that maybe this team doesn't actually know where country B is as most of the people became titans and then lost their memory).

also the thing thats in enrens basement is the history of what really happened and showing how the humans in this country are actually the bad guys.

So now Reiner Annie and Bert are part of this titan team that are trying to get their own people free from the walls (hoping that as they were in a hibernating state, when they break free they would have the knowledge to go back to their own country)this was slowly happening until they see for the first proper time one of the warewolf creatures (ape titan). they became happy thinking that the country was going to get destroyed by the warewolf race, meaning they can get their own people back in an easier way.
also when they find out about eren they change their plans and try to kidnap him for 2 reasons:

1. they think the warewolf race will come soon and do their work for them
2. they were under the impression that eren's dad didn't give eren the formula and they decide to take him as he has the ability to make their team complete and he has a different ability to them which will also help them in the fight against this country.

So now the ape titan - like I said I think he is a warewolf type of human who is from a different race/ area of earth to Country A+B who after not being able to beat their joint efforts and because of the wall.... stopped attacking them and went back to their country... I think the ape titan is like the warewolf races scout who has been hiding and hibernating under that castle(that's why he doesn't know about the humans weapons, and because he is a scout from another country, he originally speaks a different language but learned country A's language so he can scout easily, that's why he said " I think this is the language you speak here" or something like that in the manga), and now he's finally awake to scout and then bring back with him a warewolf army to finish the job they couldn't finish waaaaaaaayyyy back in the past.

here you go that's my theory on practically everything attack on titan haha please let me know what you guys think of this theory I look forward to see what other people think of it.

Super Sonic

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 65 Discussion / Chapter 66 Predictions

-------------------------Theory about the Beast Titan--------------------------
First thing i want to talk about is Castle Utgard. It's weird how this castle had been damaged like as if a titan knocked it up. Also there where signs of someone recently living there although we don't know how many. So if the Beast Titan change the people inside Castle Utgard to titans it would make sense why the castle is damaged but, it's not possible because Hanji said the amount of titans that appeared that day was the same number of people from Connie's village. So logically, there where signs of someone there at Castle Utgard but none of them turned into a titan, otherwise the count of titans that appeared that day was more than the number of Connie's village.
So why is Castle Utgard damaged? It doesn't make any sense to why titans would wreck the place for no reason. If they where trying to eat the person or people inside the castle, where's the body or blood traces? There where none just the same as Connie's village. Everything wrecked but no traces of dead bodies or blood. Also there where no reports on survivors, besides Connie and the others, during that tragic event so i doubt the people escaped Castle Utgard.

Inside of Castle Utgard, at the time when Connie, Reiner, Ymir, etc. where resting at night, as i said there where signs of someone recently living there. There where signs of can foods and alcohol but what's interesting about these supplies that it's labelled in a different language, a language only Ymir could read.
Now here's where the interesting part comes into play.
Since there where signs of someone living at Castle Utgard and there're supplies of stuff that are labelled in a different language. Also the castle seemed wrecked by a titan's doing. The person living there could have possibly, but not entirely, be the one who possesses the Beast Titan.

In this case scenario i have theorised, the Beast Titan could be from Ymir's village or someone that came from a land that speaks the same language as Ymir. This person has been secretly living at Castle Utgard because it has been abandoned bringing in supplies from wherever he came from. I believe this person came from outside the walls and has only been living there for just a bit because it didn't seem to know what 3DMG was at the time.

Now lets talk specifically about the Beast Titan. He must be a titan shifter because he obviously has intelligence and titans come from humans. He's form was masculine, taller than a 15m titan and had super long arms like a monkey. Unless this guy was a monkey expirement it still wouldn't make sense to why it could speak English so fluently. Anyways titan shifters come in many forms, just look at Berthtold's colossal form.
Off topic, when Berthtold was a mindless titan was he still 60m tall? 0_0 oh god.....
He has the ability to change people into mindless titans and could control them like Eren's Coordinate power, the mindless titans came rushing to Castle Utgard when he called and the mindless titans didn't even attack him.

I believe he could be connected to RBA in some way because RBA's mission was to destroy the humans inside the walls. This Beast Titan didn't seem to care about the humans inside the walls either as it turned people into mindless titans, threw chunks of the wall at the Survey Corpes, squished a titan that was recently human and let Mike get devoured by a mindless titan.
He's ambitions inside the walls was probably to gain information as he was testing the Survey Corpes strength and also he took Mike's 3DMG. He definitely wanted to study the 3DMG possibly because i think he sees this as a threat to him and other titans shifters outside the walls. He even asked Mike, "So you know about the weakness in our napes" which to me gives the idea that there's some kind of conflict between people outside the walls and people inside the wall. After the Beast Titan made his appearance, suddenly Reiner and Berthtold started talking about heading back to their home village. The Beast Titan himself also went home beyond the walls.
It has to be someone from outside the walls 100% possibly this new character Isayama introduced that will soon make his appearance.
I have a similar but far deeper theory on the Beast Titan that falls along the likes of this.

But there are some flaws in your last part since you are basing it on incorrect information (and failed to implement the info from the latest chapters).

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Please correct me where i'm wrong it could help me understand something i've missed. Also i would like to hear your deeper theory too, if you don't mind:)
Without trying to sound arrogant, I would rather wait. Frankly, we still don't have much information to go on so something new could throw it in a whole new direction.

But you are assuming many things.

RBAM's mission wasn't primarily to destroy the humans inside the wall. The purpose of their mission was obviously to kidnap the person with the power of the coordinate.

Even Armin commented that the group could have easily destroyed Wall Rose as well. He also said that they only stopped due to something happening. We know what happened in Trost.

Anyway, the purpose of the destroying the first wall was, most likely, to draw out the person with the coordinate. After all, only someone with the coordinate had any real chance to reverse the titan invasion and it would make sense to expect such a person to show up eventually.

The Reiss family probably saw through that plan and decided not to exposed themselves until Frieda mastered the coordinate ability. That could have been the initial point of conflict between Grisha and the Reiss since they condemned the people from Shiganshina (including his family) to be devoured.

Going back to the subject at hand, Ymir theorized that the Beast Titan was also RBAM's objective as well since he obviously displayed abilities similar to the coordinate, with the added ability of somehow turning humans into titans. I am going to assume that this was also the same method the king of about 107 years did to turn thousands of humans into colossal titans and have them form walls.

I also theorize that the one with the specific coordinate that can only be used fully by a Reiss, who manifests its full power, has the ability to wake up those colossal titans and use them for defense in case of an emergency.

Remember: according to the cover images' writting, the walls were built before the people moved in.

If the latter chapter is any clue, then that would mean that most of the civilization (the ones from a single race), as well as the wall titans, are connected together biologically to the coordinate of the Reiss. That means that other coordinates can't control them.

That would explain why the civilization never fell under attack in almost a century. Trying to attack that civilization would result in being devoured by the colossal titans, who are big enough to stomp regular titans and shifters but still small enough to be able to walk and move on their own accord (unlike Berthold, who is so big he needs to support himself on something).

The fact that the succession of the coordinate between Uri and Frieda happened not too long before the breach of Wall Maria only tells me one thing: the "Warriors" found out when the succession happened and assumed that the new coordinate would not be able to fully master their ability.

ufnovaes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Could this be a reference to Ape:
Chapter 2:

I know they're not exactly alike, but, since it's on a book, it's more likely drawn by humans and so not really realistic.
But if you look the drawn titan have pointy ears, looks like he's hairy and the draw depicts what happened 107 years ago... what could lead us to the last time Ape was around, since he's not familiar with 3dmg.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think that was just some random/generic titan, personally. Nothing special about it as far as I can tell.