Discussion - The Four Knights of The Apocalypse Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Four Knights of The Apocalypse Thread

Who are your favorites Knights of the Apocalypse (2 votes possible)

• Percival.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Lancelot.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Tristan.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Gawain.

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
This thread is dedicated to the Four Knights of the Apocalypse.

How you feel about them as characters, as a group. What do you think will happen to them, power level comparisons etc.

Samael's recent post was the trigger but I think it's good idea to make this thread now since they are all together and they all got a decent amount of scenes.

Yakkun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Their journey has barely started and I think most of how I will think of them will come from how they interact with each other. So far it has mostly been Team Percival and Lancelot as the focus but I do enjoy them all, each in their own way.

Percival, who is clearly the heart of the whole operation. He just has that purity to him, that natural tolerance and wonder only a boy born in isolation like him could have and that allows him to be so emotionally pure in all aspects. Plus he's cute as hell, he's like your little brother, you just wanna give him head pats all the time.

Lancelot, the brains, the measured, the level-headed and collected boy, wise beyond his years, not necessarily by design or by desire but more by - assumed - tragic circumstance. Whatever he exerpienced in that other dimension changed him in more ways than just his power level. I won't lie, I normally find him the least interesting because his emotions are usually so bottled up and I don't enjoy the "cool kid" that never seems to trip up or have flaws. I guess I'll just have to get to know him better.

Tristan, the soul, the courageous, ambitious, the striving, ever impoving child, always self-doubting, always trying to rise up to and exceed his potential so he can step out of the shadow of his father and be someone he can rely on and be proud of. Tristan, so young yet already so aware what it means to be prince of a kingdom and what it will mean to shoulder the lifes and wishes of his citizens. He has a slight air of nobility but at the same time he is also so much the boy that Lancelot seemingly cannot be anymore. He's somewhere between Perci and Lancelot and perhaps generally will be the bridge that keeps this whole team together. Loving Tristan for how cute and dorky he sometimes is and I hope he keeps that schtick of calling his parents Mama and Papa around forever. It's hilarious.

Gawain, the strong arm of the team, the seemingly ever capable, nigh indefatigable, the self-evidently prideful 'warrior princes' that happens to literally suffer from success, can be a huge but strangely likeable dumbass that is utterly unable to read the room when in her powerform... and yet has that air of loneliness and vulnerability to her that only a person can have that does not truly know who she is and what her place in the world is. She's also kinda a mystery at this point and I shamelessly admit to being horribly biased towards her, lol.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I like them all as well.

I remember posting before when eefrit made a poll that Lancelot and Percival were my favorites in the group. They still are. Now I like Gawain more than Tristan but it wasn't like this at first.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I feel like Tristan lacks a bit of an edge to his personality and character, and I don't mean that in a cringy, 'cool' way. He's too smoothed out, there is virtually nothing unlikeable or controversial about him outside perhaps his demon powers. But even that is something he fights so hard to get under control and he beats himself up over it. Okay, maybe his teen angst and relationship with his father is something to further explore bout compared to the other three he is too much of a goody-two-shoes.

That aside, I had a thought about Gawain yesterday, more specifically her weapon. How did she get it? If it's truly made from the remains of Rhitta, who violated what was essentially Escanor's grave marker (or at least a memorial), destroyed the axe and forged a sword out of the remains? It's still in essence part of a sacred treasure. No ordinary blacksmith should be able to do that. Also, if she did not live in Camelot (which we can assume for now), I don't think it was Merlin who made that sword for her either. Is her father that great of a man that he could pull that off? Then again, if so, why do that for her and then she ends up only living with her grandparents anyway?

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I have nothing against goodie two shoes. The way it is right now it seems that we will have Percival-Tristan as "nice guys" and Lancelot-Gawain with more antiheroic traits.

If there is one thing I'd like to see less it's the comparisons to his parents. It's a bit too straightforward IMO.

The_Uslurper

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like Tristan lacks a bit of an edge to his personality and character, and I don't mean that in a cringy, 'cool' way. He's too smoothed out, there is virtually nothing unlikeable or controversial about him outside perhaps his demon powers. But even that is something he fights so hard to get under control and he beats himself up over it. Okay, maybe his teen angst and relationship with his father is something to further explore bout compared to the other three he is too much of a goody-two-shoes.

That aside, I had a thought about Gawain yesterday, more specifically her weapon. How did she get it? If it's truly made from the remains of Rhitta, who violated what was essentially Escanor's grave marker (or at least a memorial), destroyed the axe and forged a sword out of the remains? It's still in essence part of a sacred treasure. No ordinary blacksmith should be able to do that. Also, if she did not live in Camelot (which we can assume for now), I don't think it was Merlin who made that sword for her either. Is her father that great of a man that he could pull that off? Then again, if so, why do that for her and then she ends up only living with her grandparents anyway?
If we assume that Gawain has some connection to Merlin (maybe Arthur did something that upset her so she decided to have a kid with his brother lol) then I'd guess that Merlin was able to retrieve a piece and had Dubs re-forge it.

she has worked with him in the past so it wouldn't be strange for her to summation more work from him, though its would seem he's currently hiding.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
If we assume that Gawain has some connection to Merlin (maybe Arthur did something that upset her so she decided to have a kid with his brother lol) then I'd guess that Merlin was able to retrieve a piece and had Dubs re-forge it.

she has worked with him in the past so it wouldn't be strange for her to summation more work from him, though its would seem he's currently hiding.
I don't remember where Rhitta was but Dubs wouldn't be necessary. She just needed a hilt. Maybe it came to her by itself responding to her powers(it respons to her commands) or maybe Merlin took it.

I don't believe that Merlin would have a child with one of Arthur's relatives without him knowing.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany

I'm not entirely ruling out Merlin here but her having a kid with anyone really seems unlikely at this point, especially Arthur's brother. Her working with Dubs again to reforge Rhitta is not unlikely and as for reasoning it might just be she perceives herself having a dept to Gawain because she is basically inheriting Escanor's spirit - literally or figuratively has yet to be seen - and it's perhaps her way of making up for a lot of missed chances with Escanor. Who knows.

indrath37

Reaction score
Country
France
Are Perceval's powers related to spirits? When Percival meets Meliodas in chapter 53 there are lights flashing in Percival's presence and those light things are actually Chion's spirits which Chion says have never seen them behave like this. moreover when Percival blocks the attack of Anne the Spirit of the Wind for fear of Percival's power and when he unlocks these death powers, Percival's tongue resembles that of Chion when he makes his incantations to invoke his spirits.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The powers of Perceval and Tristan are similar, they can both heal their wounds and the wounds of others, materialize their magical powers, and they have opposite powers. (Perceval: hope/death) (Tristan: light/dark) They also have bersek modes.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
What spirits? The Mini-Percivals said that animals are wary of them because they fear death. Should be the same for Chion's Familiars. It means that the Humans/Humanoids don't realize how dangerous these golems are.

indrath37

Reaction score
Country
France
I hadn't seen it like that. but the language that Perceval speaks resembles that of Chion.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Do you guys think that Lancelot will grow wings? Some probably think he is more than strong enough but I think it'll happen.

Brim787

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i’d like to see that down the line . either that or some other power boost that lets him levitate . love seeing the flying panels when nakaba forgets to draw the wings .

though from a power up standpoint (pretty sure that’s what you were referring to) , yeah i can see it happening . his mom & uncle were late bloomers after all . so maybe ban’s genes made that cycle repeat ?

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Do you guys think that Lancelot will grow wings? Some probably think he is more than strong enough but I think it'll happen.
I can't think of an accurate answer to this question! For a mysterious boy with no fixed shape, a bodily change/improvement isn't a strong sign of growth the way King would benefit from it. That said, Lancelot already has a cool fairy form that doesn't fall behind his human form that much.

Lancelot is already beyond physical restrictions, so I don't see what would the addition of wings will be relevant story wise.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I can't think of an accurate answer to this question! For a mysterious boy with no fixed shape, a bodily change/improvement isn't a strong sign of growth the way King would benefit from it. That said, Lancelot already has a cool fairy form that doesn't fall behind his human form that much.

Lancelot is already beyond physical restrictions, so I don't see what would the addition of wings will be relevant story wise.
I wouldn't think too much about this. He still has a base form which is the one we see more often. Wings are a power up and also a sign of maturity.

How is Lancelot beyond physical restrictions?

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I wouldn't think too much about this. He still has a base form which is the one we see more often. Wings are a power up and also a sign of maturity.

How is Lancelot beyond physical restrictions?
The idea was used for direct descendants of the sacred tree, and members of GC. Lancelot is the grandson of sacred tree. The same thing can apply to him. Repetitive, but still OK.

I suppose it was hard to connect the parts. He can change to whatever form he wants. Human, fairy, animal. There is no restriction. He can turn into a winged humanoid form of his current self whenever he wants.

I'm not against the idea, but find it pointless at best. To use bodily change as a sign of power up or character growth for someone like Lancelot makes little sense. His appearance changes all the time, if he suddenly grows wings which remains there all the times as an added feature, it would be more like a demotion!

A. He can change back to his wingless form? Then the change isn't permanent and important compared to the likes of King and even Ellie (manga version).

B. He can't undo the change? His ability to change his appearance faces limitations and restrictions. Not the best marker for growth.

Alterations in his behavioral patterns, ideas, magical abilities, etc are better be used for that purpose.

Besides, mini Percival's appearance is already being used to imply some form of power up/growth. Wings themselves are used twice before, but visualizing growth and maturity in form of successive design alterations is even more repetitive.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The idea was used for direct descendants of the sacred tree, and members of GC. Lancelot is the grandson of sacred tree. The same thing can apply to him. Repetitive, but still OK.

I suppose it was hard to connect the parts. He can change to whatever form he wants. Human, fairy, animal. There is no restriction. He can turn into a winged humanoid form of his current self whenever he wants.

I'm not against the idea, but find it pointless at best. To use bodily change as a sign of power up or character growth for someone like Lancelot makes little sense. His appearance changes all the time, if he suddenly grows wings which remains there all the times as an added feature, it would be more like a demotion!

A. He can change back to his wingless form? Then the change isn't permanent and important compared to the likes of King and even Ellie (manga version).

B. He can't undo the change? His ability to change his appearance faces limitations and restrictions. Not the best marker for growth.

Alterations in his behavioral patterns, ideas, magical abilities, etc are better be used for that purpose.

Besides, mini Percival's appearance is already being used to imply some form of power up/growth. Wings themselves are used twice before, but visualizing growth and maturity in form of successive design alterations is even more repetitive.
No his transformation isn't perfect like that. He has to turn into a member of a race to use their abilities. Lancelot is unable to make wings grow on his normal body or he would have done so already. Against Merascylla hiding his identity made sense, but not when he was fighting Io's group.

If Lancelot were to grow wings his normal appearance would change.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Just saw this:

That's interesting.

Vortigern

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Just saw this:

That's interesting.
That is indeed an interesting find. The "first result on Google" method of research can be a little iffy at times, but in this case the connection seems fairly strong. The Beast appears in the Book of Revelation, which is also where the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse do their thing. It would be an unlikely coincidence that one of the KoA just so happens to have magic that relates to the Beast. Even more so when you consider that the Beast can refer to both a beast of the land and a beast of the sea, which are similar descriptions to those of Behemoth and Leviathan, the former being an integral part of the current arc. I guess Percival really could be connected to one or even both of them.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've had this lying around on my hard drive for a bit but can't remember if I ever posted this. Probably not.

Yeeeeeaaahhh..... I mean, c'mon.

Is there even any doubt left at this point

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I've had this lying around on my hard drive for a bit but can't remember if I ever posted this. Probably not.

Yeeeeeaaahhh..... I mean, c'mon.

Is there even any doubt left at this point
Man, I miss Merlin!

What kind of connection these two have in your opinion?