Hangout - The Games Hangout Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Games Hangout Thread

bebong

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
What games do you like?? Post it here!! :thumbs

MangaHelpers

Now Sentient!
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]145[/split]

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
^:lmao

Bethesda Software will announce a new game tomorrow, and it has been confirmed to be Zwei, a new horror game from the creator of Resident Evil.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Apparently Skyrim will have a Legendary Edition, which wil include the ‘Dragonborn’, ‘Hearthfire’, and ‘Dawnguard’ expansions.

---------- Post added April 23, 2013 at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was April 18, 2013 at 09:45 PM ----------

A Rachet and Clank animated movie will be out in theater in 2015. Here is the debut trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The Games Hangout Thread - Part 1

That is going to be freakin' awsome!!!

Rachet and Clank might even be better as a CG movie than it is as a video game. It would be great if this started a wave of video game animated and CG movies. Disney has the rights to Monkey Island too! Think of the amazing implications of that.:zomg

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States

From what I've read online, it will be based on the first game so it will be amazing! :wtf

---------- Post added April 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was April 23, 2013 at 08:20 PM ----------

It looks like a new Okami is being hinted. Expect an announcement at the beginning of Golden Week.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Microsoft will reveal their new system on May 21st.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Nintendo revealed that they won't have a E3 press conference this year. Instead, they will hold smaller events.

Xerous

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Well it's nice to see the industry expanding into new horizons I hope it does well.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States

Sony talks more about the DualShock 4:

---------- Post added April 26, 2013 at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was April 25, 2013 at 09:33 PM ----------

More Durango rumors:

• Video Sharing: Like PlayStation 4, the next Xbox will include the ability to capture and share video through networks like Ustream and Facebook. The system will capture your gameplay like a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. This function can be turned on or off, or set up to auto-capture certain in-game events.
  • Always-On: The next Xbox will “indeed have some form of an always-on requirement.” According to the site, this is both to support the non-gaming apps that will be launched with the console and as an “anti-piracy tool.” The console will support “digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection.” Under Microsoft’s current guidelines, “the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.”
  • Achievements: Publishers will be able to add more achievements after launch without the need to add download content. According to Polygon, “this is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior.” Achievements can also be tied to “broader events,” like a weekend challenge where a number of players contribute to a goal of 10,000 kills. Cross-platform achievements, like those earned by playing a game on the next Xbox and then using a companion app or website, are also being talked about.
  • Xbox LIVE: Microsoft is looking for a way to better align Xbox LIVE with social networks like Facebook and Twitter. There won’t be a friends cap anymore. The friends system will now act more like Twitter, where people can choose to follow one another.
Oh, the console will supposedly come out in November for $499. Take these rumors with a grain of salt, of course. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

New Okami!? :wtf

Also ugh at $500...come on Microsoft give us a break. I know it's a rumor, but I wouldn't put it past them...not at this point anyway.

Xerous

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Well you can pay $300 and pay $10 a month for 2 years that another option.

Schabrak

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Whar are you talking about? XBLA Gold/PS+ ? Why is the price so high, while too low for a new console. :p

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States

He's talking about this rumor:

Here is another Durango rumor: the console will be announced on May 21st and supposedly will be out in early November. The base/standard system will cost $500 while the subscription model will cost $300 (you will pay a monthly subscription fee for this one). It also mentions about always-on internet connection as well.
Speaking of Microsoft, they announced that their E3 conference will be on Monday, June 10th, and it will start at 10 am.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country

Microsoft actually planned an "always on" console, but everyone raged about it so they cancelled the whole idea. One of their directors ( Adam Orth ) complained about the raging people and insulted them... and got fired lol.

For example, Manveer Heir from Bioware twitted him... and this was the result:

So yeah, that rumor was something official, but Microsoft said no.

The new rumor says that the console won't read used games, so you wouldn't be able to share it with someone or buy a pre-owned one... which sucks.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh, I heard that rumor before.

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

The point of it is to prevent pirating or something, since every game will come with sort sort of code. If you want to play a used game you'd have to purchase a new code to go with it =/

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

I still can't believe that Microsoft would actually go through with always online console. Especially since PS4 won't have that. That's like handing the competition a fair sized chunk of your consumer market for no real reason.

I mean, sure there is the anti-piracy stuff. But that seems like a motivation for developers not console manufacturers. And even game developers are coming out more and more against that sort of thing due to the huge PR backlash things like Diablo III and Sim City received for issues involved in always online gaming. I don't have any issue with a game in which the online component is an integral part of it (MMOs, multiplayer games, etc) requiring an online connection but when a single player game requires one and then something goes wrong with the game servers or my internet....I get pissed off. It's something that adds almost nothing when it works well and ruins the experience when it doesn't.

It's not an exaggeration when I say that always online for a console or a single player game is a deal-breaker for me. If I'm going to pay $500 for a console and $60 for a game I want those be able to use those things on my terms not have them dictated to me as if I was an untrustworthy child.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country

How is it an anti-piracity move? There are no ilegal copies of a product nor anything like that.

But actually, it's not Microsoft the one that came with the idea, big gaming companies (dunno how to say it in English lol) did it. IIRC one of the co-founders of Eidos (now Square-Enix EU) Ian Livingstone supported the idea.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States

Sony announced that its E3 press conference will be held on June 10th at 6 pm.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

How is it an anti-piracity move? There are no ilegal copies of a product nor anything like that.

But actually, it's not Microsoft the one that came with the idea, big gaming companies (dunno how to say it in English lol) did it. IIRC one of the co-founders of Eidos (now Square-Enix EU) Ian Livingstone supported the idea.
No, Microsoft didn't come up with the idea but if the rumors of what the next gen xbox online connectivity turned out to be than it would be taking that further than ANY console in the history of gaming.

Here is a list of the things the rumor mill is saying about the next xbox.

The always online and anti-used game measures are the things I just can't imagine Microsoft going with for all the reasons I said on the previous page. Those are both anti-piracy measures in the sense that they control what games can do with their games and consoles after sale.

Always online because it means the system is reliant on factors outside of the gamers control to work (IE Microsoft servers) even in cases were such a thing is of no benefit to the gamer.

Blocking Used games because it would prevent true ownership of a product. For example I could no longer lend a game, which I had bought and paid for, to a friend.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country

Since when lending a game is considered piracy? no one is earning money with others work.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Since when lending a game is considered piracy? no one is earning money with others work.
The rational is that used games, lended games, and rented games all cut into how many copies of a game a company sells.

Piracy, as some video game companies define it, isn't just "making money from their product" it's "using a product without the company who made it receiving money for it". As happens when people torrent a game. Many companies view used games as somebody buying their game in a way that doesn't earn profit for them in a similar light. Never taking into consideration that in a situation where somebody buys a used game, plays a lent game, or rentals that game was originally bought by somebody in every one of those situations. Meaning that they did get profit from the original purchase, and are just annoyed that somebody choose to pass their copy on to someone else.

The only way used game sales can be effectively ended though is through console or account locking games. So when you buy a game and you put the disk in your console the game locks onto that console or that account and cannot be redistributed.

-------------------------------------------------------

These measure should be extremely offensive to any consumer, which is why I have a very hard time believing any console really will do it.

In any other industry the mere suggestion would laughable. Imagine Car Manufactures making cars that can't be resold? Or book publishers going after library and used books stores? Yet video game companies have openly discussed what is essentially the same thing.

Last edited: