Hangout - The Games Hangout Thread | Page 97 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Games Hangout Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
So then it'll definitely not launch on Steam at first then either. SquareEnix already has a history of taking Epic's money for that reason, so no reason to believe they won't this time if they're getting even more of the sales due to using UE5.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So.... this is super late but... I was going through lore videos of dark souls and something suddenly clicked.

In this video:

When talking about the titanite slabs:

Line 1:
The meek sought God/the divine in the trees (archtrees). Yggdrasil, the tree of life (still archtrees) bestowed the gifts of plenty, joy and health.

Line 2:
They remained and hardship set in. They found a spark (Lord Souls in the first flame) which turned into a Sun, driving away the cold/ice. Terrible trouble came (conflict with dragons). The Sun (Gwyn and his allies/army) ended this conflict.

Line 3:
This age (gods in Anor Londo) continued and began an era of wealth and plenty. Man will (or has begun to) ascend. Cold/ice will return.

The second line is the one that caught my attention. Basically... the lord souls were used to create the sun? Hence the age of fire is one where the sun above is burning at full strength and then age of dark is one where the sun shuts down basically. Normally taking something in dark souls literally is not a good idea but this fits incredibly well.

There are a couple instances where the games show what an age of dark might look like. The first dark souls show you becoming a dark lord but not really what an age of dark looks like. In DS3 in turn you can go to the alternative firelink shrine and.. it's just dark. There's no lit up sun above. The other is during the ending where we see the age of dark setting.

I suppose this provides something like an explanation for the usurpation of fire ending in DS3. Basically you find another way to keep the sun active. I suppose the implication is that the normal kindling provided a temporal way to keep it aflame. But by usurping the fire you basically linked it to humanity as a whole. Thus giving it a permanent fuel source.

So the entire game is basically about whether the players wants to keep the sun running? Which makes way too much sense.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
For any fellow CRPG fans Owlcat Games, makers of the great pathfinder games have announced their new project.

I only have moderate knowledge of Warhammer 40k but I can't wait to play this.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I do enjoy WH40k games (looking forward to SM2, for sure), but I find the lore pretty uninspired

Lore and story are one of [if not] the most important things for me in RPG games

Really rather an RPG set in the old world - or, better yet, a slayer/monster hunting game set in TOW
a la Witcher, but Warhammer fantasy

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do enjoy WH40k games (looking forward to SM2, for sure), but I find the lore pretty uninspired

Lore and story are one of [if not] the most important things for me in RPG games

Really rather an RPG set in the old world - or, better yet, a slayer/monster hunting game set in TOW
a la Witcher, but Warhammer fantasy
I used to think that and I would not turn my nose up at a Gortek & Felix style game (great books). Not that the Total Warhammer games aren't already really good. But part of me feels like the potential is there for 40k and it just hasn't been realized yet.

The problem with 40k for me has never been the universe so much as the lack of great character writing. They tend to let the theme dominate just a little too much. Like can you even imagine a solidly written romance in the context of the 40k universe? It's sort of hard. Mostly people just think of a bunch of Space Marines yelling "For the Emperor" and chainsaw swords. Because that's mostly what people have done with it. Mixed with some more high concept stuff like Horus Herasy.

But the reality is the 40k franchise is just a fantasy universe after enough time has passed for it to turn into sci-fi. You can do so much with that.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean this alone...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not a huge fan of the new character (Luke), but do love me some SF
(also, they better damn well have Sagat!)

Will keep both eyes open on this one

On further analysis [of what little there is to analyse]:
Some of the new features of SF6 look great - hopefully this will reinvigorate the series

The animations look smooth - though I'm still not totally sold on the overly colourful art style

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Great trailer. Guile looks amazing! But everyone must be waiting for Ken the most after these leaks :D.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm all for innovation... but there are things that one should never touch (Guile's hair, for one, his theme, for two...)
:nah

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
For now only Chun-Li and Luke's themes are out. But since they changed Chun-Li's theme maybe they'll change Guile's too. I would be very surprised if there are no remixes and stuff though.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can't wait to play this tonight.

Just hope it can live up to Until Dawn and House of Ashes.

Reactions: z.5

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Just crazy. There were reports that GSC had relocated not long after the war broke out, but I guess that wasn't universal given how many people work on the game.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Anyone else into zachtronics games?