The MangaHelpers Anime Awards 2010 Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Anime Awards 2010 Discussion Thread

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to The MangaHelpers Anime Awards, an awards competition where you, the fans, nominate and decide what is the best of the best in the Anime world.

General Rules

The nomination process

Who will submit the nominations?
The nominations will be submitted by members of the staff and by you, the members of the site. In that way, all the members of the site will come together to decide what is the best of the best. :)

How to submit a nomination
Submit a nomination for the different award categories by posting in this thread and by explaining why said series/character/event deserves to be a nominee for that award category. The explanation cannot be longer than three lines. Please add a link to MAL where pertinent and please provide links to videos on youtube if available for the OP/ED/Insert song/ Anime OST categories.

- You don’t have to nominate for all the award categories, but you can only make 1 nomination for each award category.

-Out of all the nominations for the different award categories, only the 5 nominations that earn the most support (“votes”) become the official nominees.

- To show your support for a nomination, the only thing you need to do is to you write a post in this thread indicating your support for said nomination.

-The nomination process will take place from now until the next two weeks; you can edit your nomination at any time during that period. To edit a nomination, please make a new post and follow the template to change a nomination, if you don’t, your new nomination won’t be considered.

- Once a series/character/event has been nominated, it doesn’t need to be nominated for a second time. If you agree with said nomination, please use the appropriate template to support it and please post your nomination in The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Nomination Thread. This thread will be for discussion only.

-Please respect the opinions and nominations of others. It’s okay if you don’t like a series or a character or an event that another person nominates and it’s okay if you don’t agree with said nomination; but please do not bash the character, or the series, or event, or the person who posts the nomination. The purpose of The MangaHelpers Anime Awards is to do something as a whole community while having fun, not to initiate any kind of drama or fights.

-In case an award category doesn’t have enough nominations, the rest of the nominees will come from a panel of experts and members from the staff.

Awards categories

Best Male Lead (benelori)
Best Male supporting character (benelori)
Best Female Lead (destiny4ever)
Best Female supporting character (destiny4ever)

Best Male Seiyuu (saladesu)
Best Female Seiyuu (saladesu)

Best Opening Theme (destiny4ever)
Best Ending Theme (destiny4ever)
Best Insert Song (saladesu)
Best Anime Soundtrack (destiny4ever)

Best Comedy (destiny4ever)
(List with the names of some comedy anime series)

Best Action (benelori)
(List with the names of some action anime series)

Best Romance (destiny4ever)
(List with the names of some romance anime series)

Best Drama (HegemonKhan)
(List with the names of some drama anime series)

Best Mystery (HegemonKhan)
(List with the names of some mystery anime series)

Best Slice of Life (destiny4ever)
(List with the names of some slice of life anime series)

Best Sports (HegemonKhan)
(List with the names of some sports anime series)

Best Horror (benelori)
(List with the names of some horror anime series)

Best Sci-Fi (HegemonKhan)
(List with the names of some sci-fi anime series)

Best Fantasy (HegemonKhan)
(List with the names of some fantasy anime series)

Best Costume Design (benelori)

Best Villain (HegemonKhan)
Best Death (saladesu)
For this category, please write the nominee inside a spoiler tag and be sure to add a description of what series the spoiler is about beforehand, or use the spoiler tag like this:
Best Fight (benelori)
Best Kiss (destiny4ever)
For this category, please write the nominee inside a spoiler tag and be sure to add a description of what series the spoiler is about beforehand, or use the spoiler tag like this:
In addition, if possible please add a link to a pic of the kiss.

Best Episode (HegemonKhan)

Best Couple (destiny4ever)

Best Full Cast (saladesu)

Best Animation TV series (saladesu)
Best Animation OVAs (M3J)
Best Animation Movies (M3J)

Best Opening (animation-wise) (benelori)
Best Ending (animation-wise) (benelori)
Best Artwork/Art Style (saladesu)

Best WTF Moment (benelori)
For this category, if the wtf moment is very spoilerish please write the nominee inside a spoiler tag and be sure to add a description of what series the spoiler is about beforehand, or use the spoiler tag like this:
Best plot-twist (HegemonKhan)
Best OVA (HegemonKhan)
Best Movie (benelori)

Best Adaptation – Manga (saladesu)
Best Adaptation – Light Novel (HegemonKhan)
Best Adaptation – Visual Novel/Games (benelori)

Best Original Series (Not based off of a manga, visual novel, light novel or game) (saladesu)
Best Alteration of Story Line (saladesu)

Best Studio (saladesu)

Best Old School Anime (only anime older than 2000 can participate in this award category) (M3J)

Here are some wikilists of some old school anime series:

Best Anime for 2010 / Best new series (anime first subbed in 2010 will be also accepted for this award category) (destiny4ever)
Best Ongoing Anime (only anime that have started airing before 2011 can participate in this award category) (HegemonKhan)

Best Anime Overall (only anime that has ended can participate in this award category)
(destiny4ever, saladesu, benelori and HegemonKhan)
The Voting Process

-After 5 nominees have been selected for each one of the different award categories, the voting process will begin. The voting will be poll-based and separate threads will be created for each one of the different award categories.

-You don’t have to vote for all the award categories, but you can only vote for a category once. So please make sure you are voting for the series/character/event you really want to vote for before clicking on the poll.

-Once you have cast your vote, please feel free to continue the discussion about the nominees and who you think will be the winners of this contest.

-The winners of each award category will be the ones that earn the most votes.

-The voting process will take place from the moment we have enough nominees for the various award categories until the following two weeks. The results of the MangaHelpers Anime Awards will be posted seven days after the closing of the voting process.

-If you have any questions about the awards competition, please feel free to contact me or any of the following moderators via PM:

benelori
HegemonKhan
saladesu
M3J

Last edited:

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Discussion Thread

just a suggestion, you might want to split the "Best Animation" category into 3 sub-categories (TV Series, OVAs and Movies"). Otherwise, Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli will sweep, not giving some other anime with really good technical and mechanical animation a chance to win

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you for that great suggestion, CBlitz! I have created 3 sub-categories for the “Best Animation” award. :)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

My best Soundtrack (insert track) vote is so hard to decide - it's definitly going to Hellsing, but it has so many great tracks :amuse

Oh sorry for my nominations right away, I'm really not much into anime so my field of view is kinda narrow here :oh
I'll probably pick up some of the winners after the contest though.

feisu-chan

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

no best male/female seiyuu awards?

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

We have a lot more categories this time, since some members gave feedback that we had too little for the Manga Awards :p I can see how those 2 categories could have gotten missed when scrolling through the long list :XD

I'm personally quite revved to see what series are nominated, and of course which series eventually make the next round and win. I guess Ghibli films will take quite a number of awards. Other than that I'm not really sure.

I'm hoping the Anime Awards doesn't end up with results too similar to the manga awards in that like, Best Shounen, Best Full Cast etc goes to One Piece again, or something like that. After all even when it comes to anime adaptations, they can be vastly different from their original counterparts. And of course, there are many other options now such as original anime, or those adapted from light novels, VNs or games etc, so yeah.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I got the feeling that the "big three" won't be nearly as successful here for some reason... I hope I'm right with that :D

Guess I'll have to go watching some good anime before the nominations end, the size of my pool of animes to choose out of really is pitiful.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Well, I certainly hope you're right, too! :amuse As you know I don't dislike the big 3, but seeing them sweep the Manga Awards was kinda... :oh I do hope to see a wider range of series here :) Especially since there are more ways for more series to shine/be nominated since there are so many categories :D

Have you watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? If not, watch it! :nuts Certified awesome by Kaiten, Nuno, Koen and me. And I think Thorny too iirc :) I think you would enjoy Durarara!! and Baccano! as well, since you like deeper stuff with more intricate plots :amuse

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Just a little notion because I just saw it in the nominations thread:
A post like this doesn't make much sense:

Example said:
Best Death
Caterpie dying in Pokemon Season 333 Episode 97931
Why? Because nobody knows what "could be" in that spoiler... so given I'ld be watching Pokemon, I'ld click it because I don't know that it's a Pokemon spoiler, and see that Caterpie would die.

Please add a description of what series the spoiler is about beforehand, or use the spoiler tag like this:
This way everyone know's what series is beeing spoilered and can decide whether to look at it or not.

Disclaimer: Caterpie doesn't really die... I think °_°

[tmod=saladesu]Very good point! Thanks! I added to the OP in the nominations thread :)[/tmod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Norway

I guess Kopt3 would really enjoy Baccano, it's more mature compared to Durarara. It's a bloody mess, literally, and Kopt3 being a Seinen fan I'm betting all my money on him liking the series. Plus it's not very long so it's easy to get through. Two words; Rail Tracer. You will love the guy.

As for the nominations, I sure hope the big 3 don't sweep the floor here. None of them are great animes at this point. The only one of them that is doing the manga justice on a decent overall basis is Bleach. If OP wins best cast here I'll groan, my vote will probably go to Baccano there.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

I got the feeling that the "big three" won't be nearly as successful here for some reason... I hope I'm right with that :D

Guess I'll have to go watching some good anime before the nominations end, the size of my pool of animes to choose out of really is pitiful.
I'd be glad to provide some recommendations, hehe. Though I don't watch all anime, but with what I know I can help, review, and/or recommend for you, or anyone :D

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

As for the nominations, I sure hope the big 3 don't sweep the floor here. None of them are great animes at this point. The only one of them that is doing the manga justice on a decent overall basis is Bleach. If OP wins best cast here I'll groan, my vote will probably go to Baccano there.
Hmm. I liked the Baccano cast, but some of them were a little meh imo, and less memorable. If we're talking about Narita's works here then I'd go with Durarara!!, the characters intrigued me right off the bat and they're probably the reason why I loved DRRR!! more than Baccano :p /is biased

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you for all the great nominations, guys!! :)

Here are the nominees that we have so far:

Awards Categories

Best Male Lead
Monkey D Luffy from One Piece (2 votes)
Alucard from Hellsing
Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

Best Male supporting character
Roy Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist.
Batou from Ghost in the Shell
Fakir from Princess Tutu.
Zorro from One piece

Best Female Lead
Kyouko Mogami from Skip Beat!
"The Major"/Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell
Hitagi Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari

Best Female supporting character
Asuka Langley Soryu from Evangelion.

Best Male Seiyuu
Fukuyama, Jun
Hōchū Ōtsuka
Daisuke Ono

Best Female Seiyuu
Kugimiya, Rie
Sayaka Ohara.

Best Opening Theme
Brand New World By D-51, used as One Piece OPENING 6.
Bleach Opening #1: Orange Orange - Asterix
Cruel Angel's Thesis (Neon Genesis Evangelion Opening)
We are - First one piece opening

Best Ending Theme
For You By AZU used in Naruto Shippuden ENDING 12.
Berserk: Waiting so Long
Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari (Bakemonogatari ED)

Best Insert Song
Chiisana te no Hira (The Palm of a small hand) used in the last episode of Clannad After Story
Hellsing OST (Ruins): Kikyo Kaoru Iroha Michi
Monochrome (Star Driver)

Best Anime Soundtrack
Hellsing (Albums: Raid / Ruins)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST composed by Yoko Kanno.

Best Comedy
Full Metal Panic – Fumoffu
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes.

Best Action
Hellsing
Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners.

Best Romance
ef - tale of memories.

Best Drama
Haibane Renmei.

Best Mystery
Monster.

Best Slice of Life
Aria/Natural/Origination.

Best Sports
Hajime no ippo

Best Horror
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni/Kai.

Best Sci-Fi
Space Battleship Yamato
Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Best Fantasy
Spirited Away
Mononoke.

Best Costume Design
One Piece
Code Geass

Best Villain
Dessler (Space Battleship Yamato)
Black Beard – One Piece
Johan Liebert (Monster)

Best Death
death of Ace ( one piece)
Kamina's (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)[/spoiler[

Best Fight
Space Battleship Yamato 2: Earth Fleet vs. Comet Empire
Monkey D luffy vs Rob luccy (One piece )
Asuka vs. the EVA series (End of Evangelion)

Best Kiss
Haruhi and Kyon's in the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Best Episode
Berserk Ep. 25 (final episode)
Naruto (original) 133

Best Couple
Holo & Lawrence (Spice & Wolf).

Best Full Cast
One piece
Baccano!

Best Animation TV series
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Paranoia Agent.

Best Animation OVAs
iebuster!

Best Animation Movies
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke.

Best Opening (animation-wise)
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Best Ending (animation-wise)
Soul Eater ED1

Best Artwork/Art Style
Casshern Sins.

Best WTF Moment
Mami's head getting chewed off...

Best plot-twist
Lelouch geassing Euphemia

Best OVA
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette. Its a 3 episode long OVA and its primarily mystery focused with some excellent suspense.

Best Movie
Ghost in the Shell
Spirited Away. Miyazaki etc

Best Adaptation – Manga
Monster

Best Adaptation – Light Novel
Bakemonogatari

Best Adaptation – Visual Novel/Games
Clannad

Best Original Series (Not based off of a manga, visual novel, light novel or game)
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Best Alteration of Story Line
Hellsing
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen

Best Studio
Gainax

Best Old School Anime (only anime older than 2000 can participate in this award category)
Space Battleship Yamato
Dragon ball Z
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Best Anime for 2010 / Best new series (anime first subbed in 2010 will be also accepted for this award category)
Tatami Galaxy.

Best Ongoing Anime (only anime that have started airing before 2011 can participate in this award category)
One piece
Star Driver

Best Anime Overall (only anime that has ended can participate in this award category
Mushishi.

Best insert song:
Chiisana te no Hira (The Palm of a small hand) used in the last episode of Clannad After Story
The moment where the main character finally gets a happy ending and where we get to see every cast of Clannad! Looking back, this song fits the mood perfectly and gives both a feeling of joy and sadness :(
As soon as I saw zeltrax225’s nomination for best insert song, I was completely sure that "Chiisana te no Hira" was also going to be my nomination for that award category. However, then I read CBlitz’s post

Best Insert Song (saladesu)
"Monochrome (Star Driver)”
and his nomination for the same award category and after listening to “Monochrome"” I don’t know what song should I support anymore, they are both such great songs. :wtf I haven’t watched Star Driver but that insert song is amazing!!!

Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Speaking of insert songs there's also Ceui's Energy (LOL Heroes) and May'n/Nakajima Megumi's Nyan Nyan Service Medley (Macross Frontier). I'm totally torn between these and Monochrome from Star Driver :shakefist

There are also a bunch of great insert songs from Gundam 00 (Unlimited Sky), Gurren Lagann (Happily Ever After) and Suzumiya Haruhi (God Knows) I really like, plus the other insert songs in Macross Frontier... But ugh. Gotta make a choice! :darn

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States

Speaking of insert songs there's also Ceui's Energy (LOL Heroes) and May'n/Nakajima Megumi's Nyan Nyan Service Medley (Macross Frontier).
You posting those songs has made me even more undecided than before :XD, the anime world is filled with such incredible songs! :cool: And I’m starting to remember other amazing insert songs from other anime series I like. :darn

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Nice that someone nominated Ghost in the Shell OST für best album :wtf
Musicwise, it's such a close race for me between GitS and Hellsing. I almost had nominated GitS for best insert song for this lovely track (and great beatiful sequence made only for it!): Ghost City

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

I just seen/watched Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom, and WOW it was good !!!

I'm mad that I originally missed/ignored it, but glad I found it, lol.

it is soooo good, so true and brutally vicious (about the training, conditioning, and life of a killer/assassin along with a great story, plot, and plot twists, and great character development), so it may or may not be your "cup of tea", but it's good regardless and the music/songs/soundtrack are awesome!

The only thing I "disliked":

this was the first story/anime/manga, where I actually found myself wanting happy endings... but nope... there's no happy endings in it. one plot twist in particular was especially sooo painfully emotionally disturbingly tragic... argh !!!

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I know we are supposed to respect everyone's opinion but my god it's hard ...

scav said:
Best Male Lead: luffy (one piece)
Best Male supporting character : zorro (one piece)
Best Opening Theme : We are ( first one piece opening)
Best Costume Design : one piece
Best Villain :black beard ( one piece )
Best Death:
death of Ace ( one piece)

Best Fight : Monkey D luffy vs Rob luccy (One piece )
Best Sports: Hajime no ippo
Best Full Cast :One piece
Best Old School Anime: Dragon ball Z
Best Ongoing Anime :One piece
Best Anime Overall : One piece
Scav, You did a mistake here, Best Sports is not "Hajime no ippo" but "One piece - Going Baseball".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More seriously, the best opening theme is really Elfen Lied. The nomination for that category was really easy to chose for me.

zelllogan said:
Best Opening Theme:
Opening theme in Latin ? Is that even possible ? Elfen Lied did it & did it wonderfully.
Seriously, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV6eDvgiG4

Last edited by a moderator:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany

well you can't blame him, if you're only reading a few series it's bound to happen that one of the Big 3 will make a lot of nominations. They may not be the best mangas out there, but they are widely popular. These awards are made to see that there are a lot of great mangas out there so it's a good chance for everyone to expand their horizon :)

Last edited: